ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Rankings Question for Ms Deana

thekidd12

Feb 17, 2015
I really appreciate what you do in providing everyone a place to discuss(mostly in a civil way) HS sports of all kinds. I also know you and others work a lot of hours on this site doing many things.

My question could be asked of several outlets but I have a forum here so...

For both football and basketball NCpreps has weekly polls of what they consider the top teams in the state, even break them down into classes.

Why no love for my favorite sport?

You are not alone. "Local" paper has a giant pullout preseason breakdown for football as well as doing preseason features on each basketball team. Baseball season just starts.

I really do enjoy the site. Just wanted to ask.

Thanks,
thekidd12

There used to be more of a lively discussion with baseball 5-10 years ago on NCPreps. Over time, it has died down and become mostly a FB and Basketball based site, which has led to the lack of baseball discussion as well. I would venture to say baseball doesn't get the love here (and in most local media outlets) because it isn't 1 of the 2 major revenue sports, thus it draws less interest. There are exceptions of course - in some areas baseball is THE sport. But if you look state-wide, it's considered the 3rd most important sport. This isn't meant as a shot at Deana or anyone with NCPreps. We are all realistic enough to know that with limited budgets, time commitments, etc. she must focus on the top sports (and she does a tremendous job with that).

If you're looking for baseball rankings check out http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/north-carolina for more consistent rankings. Impact Baseball does a pre-season ranking and usually puts out a mid-season ranking of some sort, but I don't think they've done an updated in-season ranking thus far. Both of those groups (PBR and Impact) cover baseball quite well throughout the state at all classification levels. Give them a follow on twitter or on their respective websites if you're looking for more baseball coverage.

Reactions: thekidd12
Mr. Northwest,

Do you possibly have the standings and records for the NW Conference? If so please start a new thread with that post.

T.Y.

There used to be more of a lively discussion with baseball 5-10 years ago on NCPreps. Over time, it has died down and become mostly a FB and Basketball based site, which has led to the lack of baseball discussion as well. I would venture to say baseball doesn't get the love here (and in most local media outlets) because it isn't 1 of the 2 major revenue sports, thus it draws less interest. There are exceptions of course - in some areas baseball is THE sport. But if you look state-wide, it's considered the 3rd most important sport. This isn't meant as a shot at Deana or anyone with NCPreps. We are all realistic enough to know that with limited budgets, time commitments, etc. she must focus on the top sports (and she does a tremendous job with that).

If you're looking for baseball rankings check out http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/north-carolina for more consistent rankings. Impact Baseball does a pre-season ranking and usually puts out a mid-season ranking of some sort, but I don't think they've done an updated in-season ranking thus far. Both of those groups (PBR and Impact) cover baseball quite well throughout the state at all classification levels. Give them a follow on twitter or on their respective websites if you're looking for more baseball coverage.
Thanks for the links.

Impact I have checked out before and find they tend to feel kind of like Maxpreps in their rankings.

Just doesn't have that hands on feel to them.

I know I am old and baseball revenue is nothing compared to football and to a lesser extent basketball. Randolph county; where I am from and my child plays, has always been considered a decent baseball county. Guess that is one reason I asked the question.

As I tried to state I know everyone here works hard just hate to see what many consider America's past time (sorry NFL) get shorted.

Mr. Northwest,

Do you possibly have the standings and records for the NW Conference? If so please start a new thread with that post.

T.Y.
According to Maxpreps it has the following standings:

East Surry 5-0 (10-2)
Walkertown 4-1 (8-4)
Mt.Airy 3-2 (7-6)
North Stokes 2-3 (7-9)
Bishop McGuinness 1-4 (8-7)
Atkins 0-5 (4-12)

Also has the following games scheduled for Friday evening:

East Surry at Walkertown
Mt.Airy at North Stokes
Bishop McGuinness at Atkins

According to Maxpreps it has the following standings:

East Surry 5-0 (10-2)
Walkertown 4-1 (8-4)
Mt.Airy 3-2 (7-6)
North Stokes 2-3 (7-9)
Bishop McGuinness 1-4 (8-7)
Atkins 0-5 (4-12)

Also has the following games scheduled for Friday evening:

East Surry at Walkertown
Mt.Airy at North Stokes
Bishop McGuinness at Atkins
Thanks, forgot all about MaxPreps.

Guys I love all sports except Golf!! It's nothing against the spring sports, but it has been tough on me the last few years. I have two elderly parents that depend on me as a caregiver. This year has been really hard since my mother was diagnosed with stage 0 breast cancer. I have to take her every day for her radiation treatments. Last week, my father (a veteran) fell and suffered a very serious head injury that caused him to have 16 stitches in his forehead, broken wrist, and bruised ribs. He is finally doing better and able to get around better,

If anyone want to help put baseball stuff on here it's more than welcomed.

Guys I love all sports except Golf!! It's nothing against the spring sports, but it has been tough on me the last few years. I have two elderly parents that depend on me as a caregiver. This year has been really hard since my mother was diagnosed with stage 0 breast cancer. I have to take her every day for her radiation treatments. Last week, my father (a veteran) fell and suffered a very serious head injury that caused him to have 16 stitches in his forehead, broken wrist, and bruised ribs. He is finally doing better and able to get around better,

Certainly not trying to slam you or board about Baseball coverage. I have been around 12 years and never remember much baseball talk. Just like in the pros, football drives all the attention. It is our responsibility to get discussion going on baseball, same way we all do in football. Truth of the matter is there is only 4 or 5 people that care to discuss baseball. Thank you for giving us this forum for us few. Things usually pick up during Legion season, but sadly it is dying away. It is a shell of itself even 10 years ago.

First and foremost I will keep you and your parents in my prayers. Parents are very special people, I miss mine everyday.

Ms Deana,
First of all my heart goes out on your parents' situations. Lost my daddy in 2014 suddenly and not over it yet. Hope that all goes well for you in the foreseeable future.

As I said in original post you guys do a commendable job on this site. The rankings you provide for both basketball and football are both knowledgeable and for a lot of teams include first hand attendance at their games. These rankings also often create some conversations which i believe help fuel this site.

Compared to Sportsnut17 I am a relative newby on here. However after maddox retired the baseball banter has consistently dwindled. Aside from a few posts every couple of weeks from the same guys not much going on.

I was just trying to get some conversations started as the HS playoffs for baseball near. Again thanks for all you do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT