ADVERTISEMENT

PSHS Football Coach

Originally posted by swett2victory:

WOW!!!!!!! What is the thread thing here. There was no feel of hot temperature in 173herd message. You must be insecure. Whether the strongest US Army Soldier or the coffee maker comes on here, at the end of the day we are Soldiers. Heck, I know a DELTA FORS Soldier who plays The Lengend of Zelda................does that make him a weak Soldier?

We all stand ready to deploy, engage and destory the enemies of the United States of America in close combabt. We are the guardian of freedom and the way of life.
I didn't recall pulling your chain. S2V to the rescue.........but as usual, post makes no sense.

S2V, The173Herd, PSRspptr, oldswettQB and all other Ram fans can agree on a lot of what you said. I will support the coach 100%. we as a community need to do a better job of doing that.

I do hope they read this so they now how disgusted a lot of the fans are and as well get a account to let us know why a lot of the decisions are made. The only thing that was public record www.robesonian.com that Mark Heil was asked to step down. Nothing else was known to why he was asked to do so. Rumors are out there and that is what we will go off of. Why cant they get on here and distinguish between rumors and facts.

If a coach that I personally do not want is hired I will support him but probably will turn into a bleacher coach (which i cant stand) and question his mistakes. The 2 coaches that I have not wanted since day 1 are the the two that have bounced from team to team to team. All other coaches are game on!!! I do not know Coach Sampson but if rumors are true (they are) he was asked to apply leads me to think political ties are formed. J Deese JV HC is a great coach and knows these kids because he came up the same way they did. He will call the baby ugly, i would like to see him get a Def Co job first. Run that for a couple of years and then drop a HC job at a Red Springs, Fairmont, South Rob, or even St Pauls. then come back and be the first PS graduate to be the head ball coach. Just wondering why we are a 4a school and interviewing 2a assistants. that is like Alabama asking coach Richardson from UNCP to be the next ball coach. We all know that PSHS is a cold mine waiting for that strike. Bob Parolli said it to me at a scrimmage in 2007. We need to make a splash for a hire not a Billy Byrd (RIP) or Coach Hunt leaving 3 days after loosing the last game.

When you have a coach with a record like Coach Brown and you turn him away that is something that should have been known or say you will let it be known at a future date. That is like saying you had Ms. Condoleezza Rice to be the principle for free and you turned her away.

Pete Carroll would be a great hire, we could play basketball prior to practice.

I am just a casual reader but why do you keep saying Purnell Swett does not need a "2A assistant". Then you turnaround and say Brown is the man . HE is a 2A assistant at 2A Dillon!!!!!! Just doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, the Board Meeting was pushed back to the 17th. That has nothing to do with the pick of the coach. You do not announce the Head Coach until the board approves the hire. What if you announce the coach and then they do not approve it. It has happened before.

Post about the coaching search. The last thread got deleted for the same reason. I didn't want to delete 4 pages about a coaching search, but some comments were made on here that are not wanted. I don't like get emails from lawyers, so consider this the last warning.

Daman,
I am a casual reader also and very seldom post anything as you can see by my number of posts. This has been a thread of all threads. Why does Herd and s2v think they should have any say in who is hired. The Principal is the only person at the school that can hire a coach. I'm sure he knows how important it is to bring the right person in and he will pray over his decision and it will be the right choice not only for the football team but for Purnell Swett High School students and staff.
You guys keep mentioning Brown from Dillon, why would he leave South Carolina as an asst. coach making $70,000 for a head coach job in NC making $60,000. If he makes 70 in Dillon he would probably want 80-85,000 to be a head coach, I know I would. So here is the deal, where does the other 20-25,000 come from? Does s2v sell donuts to raise the money or does Herd have a plate sell to raise the money or does it come from the local drug dealer? Any coach in their right mind would not go to any school and take extra money under the table unless that's the only reason they are there to start with.
What about this, hire a coach that has a passion for football and can teach the game to the kids, make them honorable young men, hard workers and players that the community can be proud of. Someone that is firm and will not give in to the pressure of parents, but will embrace the community.
I could be wrong but I just don't see Brown taking a pay cut. Have faith in the Principal and Support the new coach, whoever it is.
By the way, the community or asst. coaches did not have anything to do with Heil being asked to leave from what I was told, eventually the truth will come out. Stop crucifying your community, you have good people in that area that want the best for their children and Swett High.

This post was edited on 2/5 3:13 PM by oldswettQB

This post was edited on 2/5 3:30 PM by oldswettQB

Coltharp had a great interview this afternoon. I think everyone in swettland needs to prepare themselves to get behind him.

Please read what was in the fayobserver. The rules of ncpreps state you can use newspaper articles. Also, I have never said I wanted a say so of who the coach was. I have had my favorites and ones that I wouldn't want to see there.

I also, have wanted a coach that will move to the area and invest into the program the same way the community will invest in him. I

Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 10:58 am | Updated: 2:45 pm, Thu Dec 18, 2014.
By Earl Vaughan Jr. Staff writer
PEMBROKE - Mark Heil has resigned as football coach at Purnell Swett High School.
Heil confirmed his resignation after an eight-year run as coach, his second at the school, in a phone conversation this morning.
"I just don't know what to say," Heil said. "It's been pretty quick all of this has happened."
Heil said he elected to resign after being told by his principal and athletic director that he no longer had the support of either the Purnell Swett community or his coaching staff.
Purnell Swett athletic director Jerome Hunt confirmed most of Heil's statement, but would not include the coaching staff among those who said they no longer supported Heil.
"We talked to several people and were told the support was not there," Hunt said. Among those talked with, Hunt said, were volunteers and anyone associated with the program.

SUV, I meant S2V, man you spend just as much time at PS as I do. That being said, whenever you find out things with athletics, I find out those same things at the same time, even sometimes later on. Basically, I'm there during the games to take pics. I have some nice ones from a couple of the last few home games. As far as "SwettRams" I thought you knew who that was. I simply don't have any idea. But, I will say this, as soon as the new coach is announced I'll take some pics and put them on Ihigh.com.

wow what a read. I think if PS hires Coltharp its a huge mistake. As far as coach Heil goes i liked the guy. I think the game had passed him by and i stated that before. I hope coach Heil the best. I have read on here many reason why he was let go. Before the season was over i herd he was going to be let go because of past issues that apparently keep reoccurring. No matter who the hire is i hope PS gets on a winning track.

Ms. King
Ma'am first off, thank you for allowing us to have a discussion among your website. I do not mean to disrespect your website in any way, shape or form but sometimes us football fans can get ruff-n-tuff like the Seahawks and Patriots or get ourselves into a puzzled situation within high school football.

I came to realize that if you spend half a million dollars on a team or one program, you will not be recognized, you wont win 8 games, or even 1 game for that sake. The rumor is that no one person will spend that kind of money on just football and not other sports unless they work, they involve the community, or sacrifice is exposed. The community support channel is the smartest route as I am told by experts. You should also include kids effort and hard work to get better, but I hardly doubt it will ever be like Florida and Texas. Maybe just $50,000 should go towards the program and back to the players since the rumor was that it was at one time going to be pocketed. I know helmets cost $150 alone but there is a place I found where coaches would love to go on a discounted home and away uniform deal. If anyone knows of any coaches interested, they should go to the Nike website. When asking for donations someone told me to give broad numbers, I quite dont believe in that, but instead I would rather give exact price tag so folks will be aware how their fund raising donation will be spent. Additionally, a $200,000 value quote was given to me for a building structure project. I just dont think it will be approved. They say the money will either be used to build a new area, add on to an area,or just renovate the space. Decision has not been made.

Herd,
Oltimecoach, the gentleman who is interested about how to dress, how to stretch and how to cool down, previously asked inquired about a 90 minute Lifting Class period. At this moment weight loss is his main concern. He might reach out to you very soon. Oh, and he would also like to know before anything else how to make the weight room look dress-right-dress after a hard sweaty workout.

S2V

This post was edited on 2/11 6:21 AM by swett2victory

Ok, and where is the half a million dollars coming from? And spending alot of money on new equipment doesn't automatically mean a 10win season. Nothing against SR but look at the money Leach spent a couple of years ago on their weight room and uniforms. I've been in the weight room and the equipment there is no different then anywhere else. Yes, some other schools may have a little better and some new. But the bottom line is, it'll take the kids efforts in working hard to get better. Plus, who's going to spend that kind of money on football alone, when you have a ton of other sports at PS, wanting and needing new equipment and uniforms as well. Take a step back and realize this is not Texas or Florida.

s2v,
Wouldn't it make more sense to put $25,000 into the program rather than into a coaches pocket?
GIVE UP ON BROWN he is not coming. Give it to the program to be invested back into the players.

Tiger,

I am going to give you two examples that are the opposite end of the spectrum with facilities.

RC: I can remember my 7th grade year loading up in my moms toyota Tercel on austin st all the way in the hatchback headed to rockingham to play backyard football on RC practice field. Remember this is in 1991, during there back to back to back, you get the point. I remember going inside to get a drink a water and walked into what the weight room was then and for me (gym freak) I feel in love and always said that is what a high school should have.

Cape fear: in the year 2000 I went and visited mark Heil at cape fear. Thre weight room was even bette, my jaw dropped!

Then in 2007 when I volunteered a little I walked in the weight room at purnell 16 yrs after seeing RC and 7 years after cape fear and I thought I was in a 1a school. It has improved a little since 07 but is still no where compared to 1991 RC.

Yes I would love to see 25,000 dropped into the program. Not just football but the whole athletic program! Add onto the field house. Knock down some walls tha coach Heil wanted to do in 07.

Use the entire 90 minutes of the class, input different workouts for different sports. (Looked at the school page for the weight training coach) it stated Monday upper body, Tuesday lower body, Wednesday upper body etc, it also said exercise for 60 minutes. Are we trying to play60NFL? Open the weight room on Saturdays, spring break, Christmas vacation. It is doeable. If you want a winning program it takes sacrifice. Plus it will add to your resume when you apply to other places. I did in personally in 07 and I only had 1 kid attend for 2 weeks. He was a senior that graduated in 09, kid from maxton. His dad was the ball coach at Townsend. That kid probably is making something with his life. He had drive.

Go to RC on a Saturday now, the school is packed! Not just Saturday academy ppl trying to make up from skipping school. The mentality begins at home. Like the kid I mentioned above. His family pushed him! 10% of the families push there kids now.

Cricket, cricket, cricket!

Or is someone going to email Ms King because I am comparing our school to other school?
This post was edited on 2/6 2:07 PM by the173herd

I would like to know how you will spend 90 minutes lifting during a 90 minute class period? Are they going to run in the door and go straight to lifting? Will there be time to dress out? Will they stretch? Is there a cool down period? Do they straighten up the weight room at the end of the period? Do they dress to go to their next class? Yeah......all that goes on along with the time listed for lifting. Also, while strength coaches differ, there are many very successful ones who do upper body one day, lower body the next, etc. I'm not sure why you find fault with what the weight coach has posted.

To the other poster, $200,00 for weight room? Are you building a new area, adding on to an area,or just renovating the space you have? You can do a pretty job of renovating a weight room and putting in new equipment for a lot less than that.

I'd also like to know how Swett is going to get new home and away uniforms and helmets for $150 a player. I know a lot of coaches who'd like to get in on that deal. Helmet alone is going to be about that.

You'll do a lot better raising funds if you give folks an idea of exactly what things will cost and how their donations will be spent than giving them broad numbers.

However, I do like the enthusiasm some of you exhibit.

90 minutes:

10 minutes to dress
10 minutes to stretch
30/30 minutes half class lift the other half speed agility, pnf stretching, crossfit, depending on schedule and sport
10 minutes change reset class

Ding ding bell rings. The paid weight room coach takes a protein shake for next class. Get after it!

I have been a active lifter for 20 yrs, see my picture above that s2v posted of me, as well a certified in crossfit on last deployment. So yes you can get strenth training in during 30 minutes.

If you want lessons or instructions meet me at red springs fitness center tomorrow morning at 0800.

You ended up with the same 60 minutes of working out the current coach has, which was my point. There is a huge difference between being a heavy lifter and teachingg a class on weight training. Further, just using your example--if half lift and half run, who supervises? One coach can't do both. No one would be put in charge of a high school weight program who didn't know that supervision is paramount. Here's some more response to you: you obviously don't how know a weight room should be run and certainly shouldn't be criticizing the guy who is, you don't know how to conduct a coaching search yet you're criticizing those doing it without any idea what the process is, who they are looking at, or the issues involved in hiring a coach. You keep posting based on what you and others guess rather than what you know. Lastly, I've run weight rooms. Have you? That's what I thought. Dropping mic

Old Timer,

please don't drop the mike. I don't want you to throw out your back picking it up. I was at the gym this morning I didn't see you so I am assuming it took you over 18hrs to come up with your answer or you were napping or trying to make it to the bathroom in your old age.

there is more than one coach in the weight room as well as more PE teachers. It is up to them to coordinate and supervise the class(es). 1 person makes schedule and supervise either inside or outside work and the other coaches PE instructors help out and watch the other class.

if they want a stronger, faster, bigger athletes they will figure it out on who is there on Saturdays and holidays as well. not meaning this the wrong way but a lot of coaches need to be in there as much as the kids anyways. there are a few kids that work out at Red Springs that don't have proper form, technique, nor the knowledge on what they are doing. they are on there 2nd semester in the weight room.

I also mentioned using cross fit, trx bands have and should be used for your athletes that don't participate in high impact sports i.e. cheerleading, volleyball, tennis, cross country, and running track. so investing in this equipment will free up space in the weight room for the high impact sport: football, wrestling, bball, and baseball. also, have different workouts for different posisition. lineman, lbs, fullbacks, catchers, power forwards, centers, higher weight classes in wrestling, and shot putters do the workouts together and all of the leaf eaters WR, QB's, light classes in weights, sprinters work out together. that will keep the kids in the same weight rage and ability rages in both outdoor and indoor weight training programs.

I have personally trained many of the world class athletes that have dedicated there lives so you can at least pick up a mike.
This post was edited on 2/7 12:27 PM by the173herd

Sounds like Swett needs to hire some of you guys. Looks like ya'll have it all figured out.

I take it that Monday they will announce a head coach or either you love work so much you are already wanting to go back.

Either way, congrats to the newest HC at PSHS.

Honest answers to your questions herd,

1. He left rs because he had a bad season, saw another bad one coming, and the principal wouldn't hire assistants.

2. He never wanted to go to pf to begin with. He interviewed for a half dozen head jobs and none of those worked out. He left pf because he wanted the opportunity to work in college. It's a resume builder. Oc at pf does not help the resume.

3. He was only on staff at lane college for 4 months because the whole staff was let go after a bad season. This is not uncommon in college.

The administration at swett knows the answers to your questions and did not need to ask them.

Apex,

That's for doing what someone local wouldn't do. Not saying they had to answer questions. I can see how not having assistance could be frustrating. Hopefully he does well at Swett (if he gets the nod) purnell is a gold mine.

I would only suggest that he gets in the grass roots with the kids, go back to the middle school and talk to the kids, if he invests his time in west robeson ppl will wrap there arms around him regardless if he wins or losses.

I personally would love to help with strenth training but I don't think I am welcomed to step foot anywhere near deep branch road much less in the weight room.

Like I stated earlier congrats to the next coach at purnell Swett

Originally posted by the173herd:
Apex,

That's for doing what someone local wouldn't do. Not saying they had to answer questions. I can see how not having assistance could be frustrating. Hopefully he does well at Swett (if he gets the nod) purnell is a gold mine.

I would only suggest that he gets in the grass roots with the kids, go back to the middle school and talk to the kids, if he invests his time in west robeson ppl will wrap there arms around him regardless if he wins or losses.

I personally would love to help with strenth training but I don't think I am welcomed to step foot anywhere near deep branch road much less in the weight room.

Like I stated earlier congrats to the next coach at purnell Swett

Herd,
I would suggest you turn page 99.

S2V

This post was edited on 2/11 4:22 AM by swett2victory

laugh.r191677.gif

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO YOU HIRE. THE RESULTS WILL STILL BE THE SAME LOSS AFTER LOSS. DID J.C. APPLY HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO TURN AROUND YOUR PROGRAM ONLY HIM. ALL THIS BANTER ABOUT SWETT FOOTBALL WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. ESPN COVERING THE PRESS CONFERENCE OF THE NEW COACH

Look for the new HC at Swett to be a former Head Coach at East Chapel Hill. He was an assistant at Byrd last year. Has also been on the coaching staff at Jack Britt as an assistant.

Originally posted by extreme_football:
Look for the new HC at Swett to be a former Head Coach at East Chapel Hill. He was an assistant at Byrd last year. Has also been on the coaching staff at Jack Britt as an assistant.
yeah right sher man

1kfYHs.AuSt.156.jpeg

This post was edited on 2/11 6:14 AM by swett2victory

If this is true. Sherman will definitely bring the energy Swett is looking for. Don't think he will be taking any naps during the day.

^
^
^The last known IP address signal. Herd, With this new APP I was presented with from my IT Team here in my unit, it can locate IP address' Cell phone signals, HMMWV radios and among other electronics in real time. It has a pin point accuracy of 3 meters or less of the actual target. It has the capability to detect by web, phone or text(still havent figured this part out). It is a dynamic tool that I will have to keep up with. It is also able to give me a 6 to 8 digit grid coordinates.

41719b1d56e0cacf7db930abd8ddf391.jpg
[/URL]

This post was edited on 2/11 10:23 AM by swett2victory

Pushing gas,

br>
I am sure no naps will be taking, the man (whomever it is) has some big shoes to fill. Shoes that a father figure wore to many ppl that make/made up the grid iron club. Plus if he takes a nap I hope he sleeps on his back and there are metal detectors as well as no sharp objects around.

This post was edited on 2/10 8:17 PM by the173herd

This post was edited on 2/10 8:38 PM by the173herd

this picture reminds me of another building full of people that throw gas. nothing good comes out of them just a lot of $#!+ that isnt worth to much.

i would take the picture down someone mind find it offensive or even get there undies in a bunch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT