ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Protest Concerning Earpieces

Linkman

Jun 14, 2009
The first game of the Cherryville/Cleveland County playoff game which Cherryville won 12-0 in 5 innings was played under protest when Cleveland County coach Mike Grayson protested the wearing of a earpiece by the Cherryville catcher. The umpires had allowed it indicating there was no rule prohibiting the wearing of an earpiece.

The State Commissioner ruled today that there will be no electronic devices used in any play of American Legion Baseball. With that being said, no penalty will be assessed for the game yesterday. The protest is upheld but the results of the game still stands.

In future games, the umpires will direct the catcher to remove the equipment if he is wearing a device. If the catcher refuses the umpire has discretion to remove the catcher and head coach from the game.

The first game of the Cherryville/Cleveland County playoff game which Cherryville won 12-0 in 5 innings was played under protest when Cleveland County coach Mike Grayson protested the wearing of a earpiece by the Cherryville catcher. The umpires had allowed it indicating there was no rule prohibiting the wearing of an earpiece.

The State Commissioner ruled today that there will be no electronic devices used in any play of American Legion Baseball. With that being said, no penalty will be assessed for the game yesterday. The protest is upheld but the results of the game still stands.

In future games, the umpires will direct the catcher to remove the equipment if he is wearing a device. If the catcher refuses the umpire has discretion to remove the catcher and head coach from the game.
I just read an email from state commissioner about this ruling. I never knew that baseball had gotten to the point to use electronic communication. What ever happen to the coach doing those signals to the catcher?

I don’t remember Cherryville ever having a protest to go its way, completely, and I don’t remember Caldwell or Shelby ever losing a protest.
I worry that one of these teams will yell about Cherryville having a Lincolnton player, especially because he is a standout and can throw a ninety mile per hour fast ball and can hit the ball into the cemetery, irrespective of what neighborhood in Lincolnton he lives in or even if he lives on the other side of the river.
My father said A long, long time ago that some of the area teams would say Cherryville used overage players because most of them (back then) didn’t have a birth certificate...I asked him if any of them might have been ove the age. He said they once had a father-son battery and there was a first baseman with a long, white beard who used a walking stick, but no real proof. I’m sure he was joking.
He said the way to beat Cherryville back then was to delay the game and slow it down, because the coach and most of the players worked the night shift at the Dora Mill and had to be there by 11 PM.
I’m glad the state tournament is there, this summer. I hope they can do well.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Like the ear piece made the difference in winning and losing in a 12-0 game. LOL.
teams have been disqualify for a birth certificate issue. like a piece of paper(birth certificate) makes the difference in winning and losing a game. turning in a birth certificate late want affect the out come of game if the player is legal.

I don’t remember Cherryville ever having a protest to go its way, completely, and I don’t remember Caldwell or Shelby ever losing a protest.
I worry that one of these teams will yell about Cherryville having a Lincolnton player, especially because he is a standout and can throw a ninety mile per hour fast ball and can hit the ball into the cemetery, irrespective of what neighborhood in Lincolnton he lives in or even if he lives on the other side of the river.
My father said A long, long time ago that some of the area teams would say Cherryville used overage players because most of them (back then) didn’t have a birth certificate...I asked him if any of them might have been ove the age. He said they once had a father-son battery and there was a first baseman with a long, white beard who used a walking stick, but no real proof. I’m sure he was joking.
He said the way to beat Cherryville back then was to delay the game and slow it down, because the coach and most of the players worked the night shift at the Dora Mill and had to be there by 11 PM.
I’m glad the state tournament is there, this summer. I hope they can do well.

Great to hear from you Lincolnton. I always enjoy your stories from the past about American Legion Baseball. Hope to see you at the State Tournament in Cherryville.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Thanks, Linkman. I listen to you broadcasts when I’m off from work. You doing a great job.
Thanks for the updates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT