ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed conferences

So Conference 19 is a little crazy. Richlands having to play some pretty competitive 4a teams along with the two dominant Onslow county teams, Havelock, and Rose. Yet Conference 16 is practically the same just adding Dixon and Croatan.

New Bern has fairly short drive to most places whereas Onslow County schools are driving 60 plus miles to head to Greenville/Winterville. And the same for the Pitt County Schools

Reactions: UNC91
Conference 22, 23 and 24 need to be totally redone. They should take all of the 4A schools and put them in one conference, then you created two all 3A conferences. They screwed the pooch on this one. These Split Conferences make no sense and increases travel time.

Conf 19 is brutal... Definitely a top 3 conference in the state as far as talent top to bottom. I do believe Richlands got the short end of the stick there tho, they will be in last every year

Conf 19 is brutal... Definitely a top 3 conference in the state as far as talent top to bottom. I do believe Richlands got the short end of the stick there tho, they will be in last every year
I agree with your statement about Richlands. They were just 2A

One of these conferences looks a tad talent heavy , while the other one looks like a juiced up 2-A conference. ( Sorry , Black Knight fans. )

Conference 46 Atkins , Ben L. Smith, Dudley, Eastern Guilford , High Point Central, Northeast Guilford , Rockingham County, Southern Guilford

Conference 47 Asheboro, Central Davidson , Ledford , Montgomery Central, North Davidson, Oak Grove

P.S. Why not put Montgomery Central in with the Anson and Forest Hills conference, move Southern Guilford and High Point Central to 47, and move Asheboro to Conference 46 ?? What the hell are yall 'adranken in Chapel Hill ?

Last edited:
Conference 22, 23 and 24 need to be totally redone. They should take all of the 4A schools and put them in one conference, then you created two all 3A conferences. They screwed the pooch on this one. These Split Conferences make no sense and increases travel time.
The Richmond/Lee County etc split conference looks like a great conference full of excitement why the hell does that need to be redone?

So you take Jacksonville, Northside, and Richlands all 3A, and have them drive to Greenville and New Bern to play 4A? Meanwhile 3 other Onslow County teams are in another conference? Dude, white oak is 3 miles from Northside, and you put them in different conferences. What moron is putting this together?

So you take Jacksonville, Northside, and Richlands all 3A, and have them drive to Greenville and New Bern to play 4A? Meanwhile 3 other Onslow County teams are in another conference? Dude, white oak is 3 miles from Northside, and you put them in different conferences. What moron is putting this together?
They take one of the smallest 3A teams in the state, and put them in a 3A/4A split. Richlands will play in a 1A/2A split and a 3A/4A split in the same calendar year.

Also Patton and East Burke are 15 miles apart, in the same classification, yet they’re split up. Of course that did work out well for Burns football in 2009-2013 when they were separated from Crest and KM despite being in the same classification.

I feel sorry for Atkins; they are going to get slaughtered in every matchup in that 46 conference. They'd honestly be better in the 47th one. Central Davidson's hard to figure they could be back to low levels again in a few years; and Montgomery Central's a mess and has #'s issues. Atkins could play both of those teams better than any other team in the other league.

I feel sorry for Atkins; they are going to get slaughtered in every matchup in that 46 conference. They'd honestly be better in the 47th one. Central Davidson's hard to figure they could be back to low levels again in a few years; and Montgomery Central's a mess and has #'s issues. Atkins could play both of those teams better than any other team in the other league.
I disagree with this statement, they will not go winless in this conference in football. Yes, there will be some lopsided scores, a lot of schools have those. Will hold their own in Boys basketball. Country club sports they will be just fine.

The Richmond/Lee County etc split conference looks like a great conference full of excitement why the hell does that need to be redone?
I do agree it looks like an exciting conference,on the top end at leasthowever, if travel was a consideration as it was communicated then this really makes no sense, Lee and SL had to travel a total of about 99 miles for their current away conference games, In the new conference travel will over twice that. I may be off base but I see WH, Lee,SL fighting to stay In the same conf.

Western Harnett 1200, U.P. 1300 Students, and you want them to compete with all County Schools, SCOTLAND COUNTY, RICHMOND COUNTY not to forget Pinecrest which has over 2600-3000 Students, It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the flaw.

Western Harnett 1200, U.P. 1300 Students, and you want them to compete with all County Schools, SCOTLAND COUNTY, RICHMOND COUNTY not to forget Pinecrest which has over 2600-3000 Students, It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the flaw.
Western Harnett is not in the Richmond county conference genius yall caught a break not having to play lee county no more be grateful

So Conference 19 is a little crazy. Richlands having to play some pretty competitive 4a teams along with the two dominant Onslow county teams, Havelock, and Rose. Yet Conference 16 is practically the same just adding Dixon and Croatan.

New Bern has fairly short drive to most places whereas Onslow County schools are driving 60 plus miles to head to Greenville/Winterville. And the same for the Pitt County Schools

It's about time we (New Bern) have some short distances to conference games after years of going to Wilmington followed by the last few years of going to Wayne County.

One of these conferences looks a tad talent heavy , while the other one looks like a juiced up 2-A conference. ( Sorry , Black Knight fans. )

Conference 46 Atkins , Ben L. Smith, Dudley, Eastern Guilford , High Point Central, Northeast Guilford , Rockingham County, Southern Guilford

Conference 47 Asheboro, Central Davidson , Ledford , Montgomery Central, North Davidson, Oak Grove

P.S. Why not put Montgomery Central in with the Anson and Forest Hills conference, move Southern Guilford and High Point Central to 47, and move Asheboro to Conference 46 ?? What the hell are yall 'adranken in Chapel Hill ?

Montgomery Central and Asheboro are primed to be "rivals." I think the mindset is to have in conference games that bring gate money to the schools. Montgomery Central would not benefit at all from being in the conference with Forest Hills and Anson County. Plus travel. Montgomery Central is a hell of a lot closer to the Randolph/Davidson schools than they are to the other conferences.

Montgomery Central and Asheboro are primed to be "rivals." I think the mindset is to have in conference games that bring gate money to the schools. Montgomery Central would not benefit at all from being in the conference with Forest Hills and Anson County. Plus travel. Montgomery Central is a hell of a lot closer to the Randolph/Davidson schools than they are to the other conferences.
I agree. The RRC makes more sense from a geographical standpoint now and, whenever we get back to normal, gates will be better in conference with schools closer in proximity with more natural rivalries. The drive to Biscoe from Marshville used to be a HIKE.

Pisgah ,Tuscola back in same conference along with the Henderson county teams.Will miss Brevard but should be a good non-conference team.Like it ,

Put Pinecrest, Richmond, Hoke County, Swett, and Lumberton in one 4A conference, and put Overhills, South View, Jack Britt, Pine Forest and Gray's Creek in another 4A league. These schools can find other folks to schedule for non-conference! It's not like these schools are in another state or even another planet! Heck, let them cross schedule if they want. You'll still have Richmond-Scotland even though it may be a non-conference matchup if the Scots go to a 3A single-classification conference.

Keep the present Tri-County 6 3A conference together, then put Scotland in the league with the Cumberland County 3A teams.

You have a present five-team league in the Metro 4A (Grimsley, Page, NW Guilford, Ragsdale and HP Central). It's not like they've had great difficulty scheduling non-conference opponents!

Last edited:
I agree. The RRC makes more sense from a geographical standpoint now and, whenever we get back to normal, gates will be better in conference with schools closer in proximity with more natural rivalries. The drive to Biscoe from Marshville used to be a HIKE.

I think Montgomery Central will be very pleased with the gates that they get from Ledford, North Davidson and Oak Grove. Central Davidson... probably not so much. But at least you’ll get some reps with your second string when CD comes to town.

I’m excited to visit the new Montgomery Central. Did it open yet? Last I heard, it wasn’t quite ready.

Montgomery Central does have a bit of a disadvantage, having 3 conference schools (N.Davidson, Oak Grove and Ledford) a full hour‘s drive away. Central Davidson is about 45 minutes away from MC. Asheboro is the closest, being a 30 minute drive away.

I am excited about this conference though, as it will allow a lot of room for non-conference games in all sports. The 10 team Central Carolina Conference made that very difficult.

I think Montgomery Central will be very pleased with the gates that they get from Ledford, North Davidson and Oak Grove. Central Davidson... probably not so much. But at least you’ll get some reps with your second string when CD comes to town.

I’m excited to visit the new Montgomery Central. Did it open yet? Last I heard, it wasn’t quite ready.

Not quite, but very close. At least 90%! Should open in January.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Distances from Montgomery Central :

Forest Hills 50.5 miles
Anson County 35.4 miles
Ledford 59.7 miles
North Davidson 52.2 miles
West Stanly 33.1 miles
P.S. The Anson/Forest Hills conference is a 2A/3A split conference , with only two 3-A members. Adding Montgomery Central would make it three 3-A schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC

Open for athletics, I do know that much. I don’t think they’re done painting in some parts of the school, though.

Do AD's get to challenge this? This makes zero since to pull 3 teams out of Onslow County to drive 75 miles to Pitt County when there are 3 other schools in the same classification in the same darn county.

It's about time we (New Bern) have some short distances to conference games after years of going to Wilmington followed by the last few years of going to Wayne County.
So you rather play in 3a split conference? Against a previous 2a Richlands. For all sports? . The truth is Rose is going to be a lot better in football, but they are still 3A, you are losing two non conference games (football) now because Havelock (3a) and Jacksonville (3a) are joining the league. So you will have to scramble to find those replacement for those games. If you want to keep travel down then switch Richlands and West Carteret.

So you rather play in 3a split conference? Against a previous 2a Richlands. For all sports? . The truth is Rose is going to be a lot better in football, but they are still 3A, you are losing two non conference games (football) now because Havelock (3a) and Jacksonville (3a) are joining the league. So you will have to scramble to find those replacement for those games. If you want to keep travel down then switch Richlands and West Carteret.

What are our options? What other 4A teams are in the area? Rose will be a lot better, and they should be, with the talent in that county. Will be good to go out and play some new teams. I trust Coach Nowell will put teams on the schedule that will help them come playoff time.

Put Pinecrest, Richmond, Hoke County, Swett, and Lumberton in one 4A conference, and put Overhills, South View, Jack Britt, Pine Forest and Gray's Creek in another 4A league. These schools can find other folks to schedule for non-conference! It's not like these schools are in another state or even another planet! Heck, let them cross schedule if they want. You'll still have Richmond-Scotland even though it may be a non-conference matchup if the Scots go to a 3A single-classification conference.

Keep the present Tri-County 6 3A conference together, then put Scotland in the league with the Cumberland County 3A teams.

You have a present five-team league in the Metro 4A (Grimsley, Page, NW Guilford, Ragsdale and HP Central). It's not like they've had great difficulty scheduling non-conference opponents!
Or if there has to be a split conference put Overhills and Pine Forest in the conf, still meets the criteria of having two teams in the same classification in a conf and travel makes a lot more sense.

3A/4A
South Central
Rose
Conley
Havelock
New Bern
West
3A
JHS
White oak
Northside
Swansboro
Dixon
Croatan
Richlands

There's your answer. More competitive, way less travel.

If you change ONE or TWO teams it could change the entire realignment for the whole east in all classes. So you really have to put them all on the map to figure out anything because they all interrelate.

I know CB Aycock and Southern Wayne dont like it, but putting them with Rose, South Central, New bern and Conley is probably the best idea. The longest trip is only a little over an hour. Its not as far as you might think.

That being said, one idea that i would consider, and i know a lot of people will yell at this one, is a 4 team league with New bern, Conley, Rose and South Central. Might have to pay each other twice in football to alleviate scheduling difficulties, but there are an abundance of schools in the area they have traditionally played & I think they could get it done in other sports.

I know that would suck for them, but it would make things easier in many other places. Again, i think putting CBA and S wayne with them is best, but Im posititve that wayne county is pushing hard against that happening again.

At some point hard decisions have to be made, though, and the NCHSAA is never gonna make everyone happy. (although they seem to be pretty inept to me in a lot of areas).

3A/4A
South Central
Rose
Conley
Havelock
New Bern
West
3A
JHS
White oak
Northside
Swansboro
Dixon
Croatan
Richlands

There's your answer. More competitive, way less travel.
This aint more competitive lmao!!! Man take Richlands out that conf and leave it as it is, dont nobody wanna play WO or Swansboro nomore lol. Stop tryna find a cake route for thr jville teams to the playoffs, this one of thr best conferences in thr state

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT