ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed conferences

OC, I agree and think it will help the Dogs in all sports. Looking forward to the 1A move for the Bulldog Nation and I like the small split 1A/2A local conference which offers many more pros than cons. Gives the Dogs so much flexibility while maintaining local rivals.

- Small league helps with the scheduling of non-conference opponents.
- Secondary sports can improve, be more successful and grow rosters.
- Football, Basketball, Wrestling and Track will do very well in this conference and compete for conference, regional and within time state titles.
- Conference gates should be pretty solid for the Dogs in primary sports. ED, WD, SD and Lexington are good natural rivals and bring a pretty good crowd.
- Ledford, OG, ND and CD are still close, offer good competition and solid gates to fund the program.
- The current 9/10/11 grade classes are athletic, work hard and coachable kids. Middle school continues to send quality kids up so I see nothing but positives and great opportunity at THS with this realignment. The positive impact it will have on the student body, teachers, community and local support will be huge also.
- THS has a quality coaching staff right now that works together sharing, building, training and supporting the student athletes. We must keep our best coaches, teachers and admin staff in place and continue to grow our academic standards, parent participation, community support and expectations!

Win, Win for the Dogs!
Very well stated, WOW71. I agree on all points.

I like the conference layout for the NW but really I would've been fine either way as a 1A or a 1A/2A Conference. I know people over at West Stokes are not happy right now. The MVAC looks good too. Maybe West Stokes can appeal to be put in the MVAC idk. But I know they are not happy right now.

They are in a rock and a hard place.. I do feel for them. I honestly expected the only change was to be them put in the NW but the state went all out the other way. They will get more gate from the Rockingham schools but it puts more pressure on the non conference slate if things stay the same right now.

I read the WSJ article and it's teasing that they are trying to include Carver, Prep, and Bishop in that conference for Football as well making it 10 teams.. I don't know how that will work. Bishop seemed to really want that. It would give West at least 8 conference games for Football but they'd only have 3 non conference games. That would be a mess.. If they have to do it that way they just need to take Andrews out, and put them in either the Davidson or Randleman conference. It would be a bit better for everyone especially for travel.

If I would have been the state I woulda done a split with the three Stokes schools, and the 3A 1A Forsyth schools. Problem solved.. West could have had 6 non conference games and that woulda been a boost. Put the 2A Forsyth's with the Rockinghams and Andrews, and there woulda been the puzzle.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I am absolutely mind blown

I'm surprisingly not. I actually seen a proposal on another site with the MVAC as 2A and the same teams in it, so I was hoping that would be a last resort but I'm for it. It'd be a good conference honestly.

Northwest with the 1A MVAC teams will be a lot better too. It'll be more interesting than what it has been in a long dang time. If the MVAC to be split it needed to be beneficial to all these schools; it honestly is.

I'm all for those 2 conferences. Just shocked that the Wilkes Schools will be separated.

Yep me too. It'd be for the best though if they leave it alone after this draft.

I was honestly expecting the same stuff minus some changes not anything crazy. But MVAC's got away with it the past 8 years; they've been due for a remodel. Hopefully the Wilkes board will make sure East plays everyone in non conference.

Yep me too. It'd be for the best though if they leave it alone after this draft.

I was honestly expecting the same stuff minus some changes not anything crazy. But MVAC's got away with it the past 8 years; they've been due for a remodel. Hopefully the Wilkes board will make sure East plays everyone in non conference.

I don't like school boards stepping in to make schools play in county games. In county games are great but I think boards need to stay out of scheduling. I'd say East will play West and North in about everything. They may leave Central alone in some sports.

I think Ashe moving to 3A led to the dissolve. Marc Payne was a big vocalist for keeping the MVAC.

The 2nd draft for the WHC is better, I understand Draughn really has no place to go, but West Caldwell and Patton were not good fits for a mountain league. I still say shuffle Owen and Madison elsewhere, and add TJ back with Rosman. A 6 team, all 1a conference would be fine.
*EDIT*
In all fairness, they could let Madison drop a class, and play as 1a, in football at least.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Wow. East Surry, North Surry, and Wilkes Central are going to be some competitive football games for the next 4 years if this draft sticks. I love that conference.

Like the 1A one as well.If Starmount canreturn to normalcy, that conference will
Be highly competitive as well.

Wow. East Surry, North Surry, and Wilkes Central are going to be some competitive football games for the next 4 years if this draft sticks. I love that conference.

Like the 1A one as well.If Starmount canreturn to normalcy, that conference will
Be highly competitive as well.

I'm thrilled and everyone else I know around North is as well. We've wanted to play West Wilkes and Wilkes Central for ages; to not have to travel so far would be awesome but the gates we will get will be even better. It will be an awesome setup in all sports. That's what we really need because the Carver's of the world really hurt us in the non major sports.

I think Starmount will get there.. this junior group was what Grinton was really excited for. They will play hard for him. If not East Wilkes will rise up with those sophmores they have.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT