7 North Edgecombe

8 Southside

9 Weldon

10 Washington Co

11 North Duplin

12 Northside

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Great job Mountie and much appreciated! Only big surprise to me was Mountain Island moving up to large 1AA...looks like they may get a 2nd round meeting with Mt Airy (if they get by Swain first). While Murphy is probably considered the favorite, I think Mitchell has a good chance at home. Should be a great matchup!

Pamlico will not be seeded ahead of Northampton or Bear Grass as Pamlico did not win their conference

1aa West

1 Mount Airy

2 North Stanly

3 Starmount

4 North Rowan

5 East Surry

6 Cherryville

7 Bessemer City

8 Swain

9 MICS

10 Comm School of Davidson

11 Polk

12 Highland Tech

1aa East

1 Tarboro

2 Princeton

3 Holmes

4 Granville Central

5 Riverside

6 Lakewood

7 South Stanly

8 East Carteret

9 Manteo

10 Hobbton

11 Louisberg

12 West Montgomery

1a West

1 Thomas Jefferson

2 Mitchell

3 Murphy

4 Robbinsville

5 East Wilkes

6 Alleghany

7 Elkin

8 Cherokee

9 Bishop McGuinness

10 East Colombus

11 Albemarle

12 Rosman

1a East

1 Northampton

2 Bear Grass

3 Pamlico

4 Gates

5 Rosewood

6 South Creek

7 North Edgecombe

8 Southside

9 Weldon

10 Washington Co

11 North Duplin

12 Northside

Okay Mitchell County Mountie, please beat Murphy at home.

East Carteret will get 5 seed because they are 1st place 1A team in split conference having a winning record over .500. Slide everyone down from there and you are spot on in my opinion

That is how it works. After all automatics are seeded they take the next highest finishing team from each conference and put them in a pool. They take the highest ranked team and put them in the bracket. Once a team is seeded they are replaced with the next highest finishing team in their conference in the pool. This is done until the bracket is filled. This ensures that a 5th place team in a conference doesn't get in over 4th place. 4th place in over 3rd and etc.

It absolutely is confusing when they change the seeding process every year.

And I am sure they will change it again next year. It took me some time to understand it. Made it easier once volleyball and soccer brackets came out. It gets tiring having to learn a new system every year.

Reactions: mbdfan
And I am sure they will change it again next year. It took me some time to understand it. Made it easier once volleyball and soccer brackets came out. It gets tiring having to learn a new system every year.
So can a team that finished 4th in XYZ conference not be seeded above a team who finished 3rd in ABC conference, even if the 4th place team in XYZ has a higher adjusted maxpreps ranking than the 3rd place team in ABC?

So can a team that finished 4th in XYZ conference not be seeded above a team who finished 3rd in ABC conference, even if the 4th place team in XYZ has a higher adjusted maxpreps ranking than the 3rd place team in ABC?
don't worry mbd, you got this, this year.

So if Murphy finishes 4th in the SMC and Robbinsville finishes 3rd, Murphy could not be seeded in the playoffs before Robbinsville is even if Murphy has a higher ranking. But if Murphy finished 4th in the SMC and Elkin finished 3rd in the MVAC, Murphy could be seeded ahead of them if they have a higher ranking as long as every team in the SMC that finished in front of Murphy has been seeded. It just means you can't be seeded before a team that finished ahead of you in your conference.

In that case Bessemer City and Mountain Island Charter should both ranked ahead of Cherryville in Mountie's seedings

Who gets seeding priority if two teams are tied for the same position in conference. For example Bessemer City and Mountain Island are tied for 2nd place in the Southern Piedmont, is it still still based on head to head (Bessemer City beat Mountain Island Charter) or would it go to Maxpreps ranking?

Who gets seeding priority if two teams are tied for the same position in conference. For example Bessemer City and Mountain Island are tied for 2nd place in the Southern Piedmont, is it still still based on head to head (Bessemer City beat Mountain Island Charter) or would it go to Maxpreps ranking?

Head to head

Thunderstruck I think you are incorrect In the case of East Wilkes and Allegany. East Wilkes, Starmount, Allegany, and Elkin are considered their own conference in regards to the seeding process. The 2a portion doesn't apply to the overall picture. East Wilkes, Starmount, and Allegany all finished 1st in their "conference" going 2-1 apiece. The rulebook says in the event of a tie for 1st, an appropriate tie breaking method will be used. I believe now the method is highest adjusted ranking. It used to be literally drawing straws. Of course, I could be wrong too!

Thunderstruck I think you are incorrect In the case of East Wilkes and Allegany. East Wilkes, Starmount, Allegany, and Elkin are considered their own conference in regards to the seeding process. The 2a portion doesn't apply to the overall picture. East Wilkes, Starmount, and Allegany all finished 1st in their "conference" going 2-1 apiece. The rulebook says in the event of a tie for 1st, an appropriate tie breaking method will be used. I believe now the method is highest adjusted ranking. It used to be literally drawing straws. Of course, I could be wrong too!

That is incorrect. It doesn't matter if they are in a split conference when it comes to conference finish. The 2A portion does apply and those 4 are not treated like their own conference. Starmount finished 2nd in the MVAC. They have a record above .500 so will be treated like a conference champion. Alleghany and East tied. Alleghany has tie breaker due to head to head win. Alleghany will go into the pool of highest finishing non automatic qualifiers first for the MVAC when seeding is done. As soon as Alleghany gets seeded, East Wilkes will take their spot. And once seeded then Elkin will take their spot in the pool. The only way Alleghany would be treated as a 2nd place team is if Starmount had won the conference and Alleghany finished 2nd overall. Not 2nd in just the 1A portion. The process and interpretation is listed in my link above. Idk how I can be any clearer in how the process is done. I understand its confusing and all. Just takes some time to figure it out

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
1. Thomas Jefferson
BYE

8. Cherokee
9. Bishop McGuinness

5. Alleghany
12. Rosman

4. Robbinsville
BYE

3. Murphy
BYE

6. East Wilkes
11. Albemarle

7. Elkin
10. East Columbus

2. Mitchell
BYE

Reactions: smash mouth
I'd like to see Murphy play East Wilkes, 'Dogs have already played Alleghany multiple times in the 1A playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
If this bracket holds true the SMC should have 4 teams in the second round! Good luck to all teams but rooting for the SMC! As for us over here in Hayesville have become accustomed to saying “On to Basketball” lol

They will stand a good chance! Hayesville had a pretty easy time with them 2 yrs ago.

But read 4.1.18-f-1 in the handbook. It's states:
Teams in their classification will be selected to fill the remaining slot in the bracket by comparing the highest finishing, non-automatic qualifying team in each conference based on adjusted MaxPreps ranking.
NOTE: under no circumstances may a team "leap-frog" a higher finishing team in their own conference. For this procedure split conferences will have their classification treated as a separate entity.

I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong nanner nanner boo boo. I'm just trying to understand this completely...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT