ADVERTISEMENT

Projecting the NCHSAA Girls & Boys Basketball Playoffs 1A-2A-3A & 4A

Pine Lake Prep is ahead of CSD in that conference's standings. PLP is undefeated in conference while CSD has a loss. That would switch up the bracket a little bit on the 1A Boys side but otherwise it looks like some tough matchups from the get go.

East Surry boys were left out and will likely finish 5th in the Northwest 1A, but they are better than a lot of the 1A teams in the bracket. The NW1A is by far the toughest conference in 1A. Good luck trying to other conferences trying knock those teams out.

East Surry boys were left out and will likely finish 5th in the Northwest 1A, but they are better than a lot of the 1A teams in the bracket. The NW1A is by far the toughest conference in 1A. Good luck trying to other conferences trying knock those teams out.

They have MA guys as the last team in. Would be a tough matchup for the overall 1 seed

The NW1A boys conference is crazy good! 4 of the top 6 teams in the state based on Maxpreps rankings. Unreal depth in that league.

The NW1A boys conference is crazy good! 4 of the top 6 teams in the state based on Maxpreps rankings. Unreal depth in that league.

Yeah still a lot of time for movement. It is interesting to see this new format laid out though. With this new format being the overall number 1 seed I am not sure if it's a advantage or not lol

Yeah I think there will be a lot of that.

I think we are getting closer I think only the top 2 seeds should be automatic and then if the conf tourney champion is different then the top two they get an automatic. Outside of that I think it goes to win loss and Rankings for tie breakers. I'm just not sold on maxpreps rankings. Albemarle and SD played and beat SD by 15 and SD is still ranked 5 spots over them. (Girls).

I think Prep is the clear #1 from this conference, as they have already beaten Mount Airy, East Surry, and South Stokes. I think the 2-4 seeds are a toss up, but East could sneak into one of those spots. The top 4 seeds have been challenged significantly in the non-conference part of their schedules which will help.

I think 64 works great for basketball, but does not work great for the other sports. I don’t trust the MaxPreps rankings one bit, because it often does not seem to make sense. I think the NCHSAA uses MaxPreps as a way to shift blame for when something does not go correct.

Looking at those 3A projections.....

If all that holds up, Cox Mill has a brutal road to hoe. They could potentially face SW Guilford in the second round and Mount Tabor in the third. Two deep, very dangerous teams.

Going to see Southern Lee tonight. Been curious about them for a while. They play Triton at home. Should be pretty good. I've also got to check out Northern Durham. Didn't realize Jalen Johnson was playing for them. He's a very good point guard.

I would also hate to see Parkland left out. Parkland could beat a whole lotta teams in this state.

Also, there's maybe a 5% chance Trinity wins conference. They're behind the eight ball a little. It'll probably come down to PG, Wheatmore, or Andrews. PG still has to play both of those teams twice. PG plays Wheatmore on Tuesday and TWA on Friday.

I hope PG can win out. I definitely don't want to see them taking the long trip to Fairmont....

Looking at those 3A projections.....

If all that holds up, Cox Mill has a brutal road to hoe. They could potentially face SW Guilford in the second round and Mount Tabor in the third. Two deep, very dangerous teams.

Going to see Southern Lee tonight. Been curious about them for a while. They play Triton at home. Should be pretty good. I've also got to check out Northern Durham. Didn't realize Jalen Johnson was playing for them. He's a very good point guard.

I would also hate to see Parkland left out. Parkland could beat a whole lotta teams in this state.
Not sure 10-10 Parkland would go that far in 3A. 1A Mount Airy beat them 88-73 in the Frank Spencer Tournament. Who knows though, any team can get hot in the playoffs.

Can anyone explain how the projections have Mitchell in? They are 4th overall in their conference with a 4-15 (2-4) record. They are currently ranked 59th overall by the Maxpreps rankings and wouldn't qualify based on those standing. According to the NCHSAA seeding rules:

(a) Conference automatic qualifiers are determined by the number of teams from a given classification in each conference as follows:

(1) 1 – 4 teams = 1 automatic qualifier
(2) 5 – 8 teams = 2 automatic qualifiers
(3) 9 or more teams = 3 automatic qualifiers

(c) Split conference application

(1) The highest finishing team from a given classification will automatically
qualify, regardless of overall conference finish.
(2) Two teams that finish 1st and 2nd overall in the conference from the same
classification will automatically qualify regardless of rule 4.1.18(a)(1-3).

**Ties for 1st place in the overall conference or for highest finisher in a classification must be broken using the established tie-breaking procedure [rule 4.1.13].

If I understand this correctly the Western Highlands has 6 total teams, however only 3 are 1A. According to (a) the conference would only get 1 automatic 1A qualifier and 1 automatic 2A qualifier. According to (c), a second team from the same classification would ONLY become an automatic qualifier if they finished 2nd OVERALL in the split conference (ex - 1A teams finish both 1st & 2nd overall), not just the top 2 teams from each classification. If you try and take the 2 top teams from each classification, that contradicts rule (a).

Not sure 10-10 Parkland would go that far in 3A. 1A Mount Airy beat them 88-73 in the Frank Spencer Tournament. Who knows though, any team can get hot in the playoffs.

Parkland did not play well in the Frank Spencer at all. They've been very Jekyll/Hyde thus far. But they do own wins over Smith and SW Guilford. They're capable.

Can anyone explain how the projections have Mitchell in? They are 4th overall in their conference with a 4-15 (2-4) record

They also have to have >.500 winning percentage to qualify if in a split league which I'm pretty sure 4-15 doesn't satisfy that. It may have been a mistake they made.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT