ADVERTISEMENT

Projected 2A Teams For 2021-2025

Great post Wow71. Unfortunately, the things you site as issues at THS are common in many "city" schools across the state. Whether they are stand alone systems like T-ville or Lexington, or are part of a larger school district like Carver or HP Andrews, the concerns you cite are universal. Many of these schools have seen their enrollments dwindle and in turn their ability to field teams and garner community support has followed. Now with Covid I fear things may never be the same.

Thirty+ years ago the heads of public education in this state followed the national trend of "bigger is better" and merger of many districts followed. Right away we started to see negtive impacts. One of these was the loss of community identity yet we continued to promote this idea that merged systems saved money by cutting administrative costs and streamling services. Resources would be shared more equally. It was all done in the name of progress and with an eye toward the future. "This is what our young people need" we were told.

Fast foward to present day. Since this is an athletic forum many will say this discussion is off base but I contend that it is all relative. Can the school systems that merged honestly say that the move has turned out to make education better? If they are honest they must say it has not. Admistrative costs did not go down. In fact, in many cases they have gone up as LEA's have become massive bureaucracies. Services may have been stremlined but they were also watered down as funding for positions within systems has gone for administration instead of "footsoldiers." Resources are often not equally distributed but equally denied as one school within a district is allowed to have something unless all schools can have the same.

The result of the above have had a domino effect on athletics. I also don' think it a coincidence that the move to create more charter schools and the trend toward home schooling is not also related to this matter. Athletics is important to us or we wouldn't be here, but so is the overall education of our children. Too many are falling through the cracks in whe large educational factories we call school systems and many parents and educational leaders recognize this. Their solution has been to exit the model of the traditional public school.

It seems I heard last winter that the mayor of High Point had called for a study to determine if students in High Ppoint had truly benefitted from being merged with Greensboro and Guilford County Schools. The pandemic hit around the time I heard about this. The story has disappeared from the news but my thought then was as it is now. Bigger has not turned out to be better for all and it was good to hear that someone in a position of authority was questioning it. Will Covid 19 drive more people to think this way?

Reactions: Wow71 and Ooooner
OK,my last post was so long I missed Frank and Rambbq post but they are correct. Reidsville's population should easily support a 2A or 3A school. A good percentage of your enrollment travels to Wentworth.

It isn't a politically correct term to use these days but I believe "white flight" really took off after systems started to merge. My belief is parents found it easier to argue for, and get a transfer, from a school board that served many schools within a "single" district.

I will remind you though that the same lax transfer rules has worked to Reidsville's advantage in football.

I will remind you though that the same lax transfer rules has worked to Reidsville's advantage in football.

and Morehead wrestling... and Rockingham and McMichael baseball... and Rockingham women's basketball... and McMichael volleyball... and Rockingham women's golf... what's your point?

Reactions: Ooooner
My reply was in response to the complaint that Reidsville could, and probably should be a 2A or even a 3A school. I actually agree with that. Your drop in enrollment can be attributed in part to losing athletes through the years in the sports you named to the schools you mentioned but my point is......complain about overall enrollment figures all you want but it hasn't hurt Reidsville Football. For example, earlier in this thread there was an exchange about the good young talent that is coming. Is it all homegrown? Many tell me it isn't.

Covid may end but once politicians get a taste of power and control they won't give it back until people take it from them.....one way or another.........

This is were I agree with my conservative Americans. Once we make changes for the good, politicians have been known to use this as examples of why they can do it for other things and that goes for both parties.

My reply was in response to the complaint that Reidsville could, and probably should be a 2A or even a 3A school. I actually agree with that. Your drop in enrollment can be attributed in part to losing athletes through the years in the sports you named to the schools you mentioned but my point is......complain about overall enrollment figures all you want but it hasn't hurt Reidsville Football. For example, earlier in this thread there was an exchange about the good young talent that is coming. Is it all homegrown? Many tell me it isn't.

Do you even know the players we are referring to? Even if reidsville has benefited from transfers, the team would still be good with or without.

I don't know names and wouldn't mention them if I did. People talk and about half or less of what they say these days seems to be true but some folks I know up your way tell me the youth feeders are now where they are losing kids. I do know that going back to 2002 the Rams have been the beneficiaries of some timely transfers and if there is any truth in what I'm hearing this trend appears to be continuing.

I also agree with you tarheel. The Rams are good for a lot of reasons and without transfers they are formidable. They are talented and well coached. Those that complain to me feel the playing field in your county is not level and if it were, the games versus county teams would be more competitive.

I don't know names and wouldn't mention them if I did. People talk and about half or less of what they say these days seems to be true but some folks I know up your way tell me the youth feeders are now where they are losing kids. I do know that going back to 2002 the Rams have been the beneficiaries of some timely transfers and if there is any truth in what I'm hearing this trend appears to be continuing.

I also agree with you tarheel. The Rams are good for a lot of reasons and without transfers they are formidable. They are talented and well coached. Those that complain to me feel the playing field in your county is not level and if it were, the games versus county teams would be more competitive.

I didn’t ask you to put names. The county games would not be more competitive. Most of the transfers don’t even come from the county. Now the big one that comes to mind is Anthony crews from mcmichael. But tell me if those games were competitive when he was at mcmichael

2 of the 3, of your super freshman do not live in district and are from Rockingham county. One should be going to Morehead (lives in Eden) and the other should be going to Rock High. (lives 1/2 mile from RHS).... I know, I know.... the IB program....

Reactions: BK13T-$
2 of the 3, of your super freshman do not live in district and are from Rockingham county. One should be going to Morehead (lives in Eden) and the other should be going to Rock High. (lives 1/2 mile from RHS).... I know, I know.... the IB program....

Would it make those teams that much better?

I wasn't around when Crews was at McMichael but a quick check of reidsvillefootball.com shows scores for all games since 1969. If he transferred to Reidsville in 2002 then no, his team at McMichael was not competitive with Reidsville. It appears that McMichael has never really been competitive.

There are however a number of games through the years that look like they were close between Rock County, Morehead and Reidsville. With a few exceptions, it seems that only over the last 20 years have those contests become more and more lopsided. Is there a coorelation? Did the demographics of Rockingham County shift so much that there are less football players in surrounding areas than there were 20 plus years ago? Did they start putting something in the water in Reidsville? You tell me?

I can't tell you where ALL the transfers come from. I'm sure there is someone that can. Some would like to know how many current Reidsville players grew up in another part of your county and attended an elementary school outside of the Reidsville district before middle school or high school? There are always going to be a few kids everywhere that aren't homegrown but I believe there are more than you think coming to Reidsville from within your county. It's more than some would care for people to know.

Finally, the fact that you say "most transfers don't even come from the county" is an indicator that certain things have to happen. People have to physically move into the Reidsville district, or acquire a legal transfer and pay tuition. You mean that's happening repeatedly year after year just so a high school kid can play football for the Rams? Are you serious? It's not and you know it.

Hey, maybe the "crossroads" is real and people sell their souls to the devil for high school football success too. You tell me?

It would be a start. No, it wouldn’t bring them anywhere close to Reidsville or state titles ( I could argue that has as much to do with coaching as it does Jimmy’s and Joe’s) but it could and would bring them out of the seller and possibly playoff eligible.

If it's just a kid here are there then no, it wouldn't make a difference but it's not just a kid or two here and there. Reidsville has accumulated a lot of talent over time.

Football is the ultimate team sport and numbers do matter. Teague is a great coach. Few will deny that but few will argue that it is also easier to make great chicken salad when you have the best chickens to choose from.

Some would like to know how many current Reidsville players grew up in another part of your county and attended an elementary school outside of the Reidsville district before middle school or high school?

Not as many as kids that went to Reidsville schools and transferred out to Wentworth before middle or high school. Hell, I remember seeing ROCKINGHAM COUNTY GRADUATE signs in yards of house literally across the street from Reidsville. A few more up the street, as well.

Reactions: UNC91

How many super athletes did not live in Rockingham or Morehead district but have gone to those schools and contributed to, say, wrestling titles... womens golf titles... etc etc...
I know, I know... Fire Explorers program...

Lol... I would like to know which girl from the golf team is from Reidsville, since their middle school doesn't even have a golf program. To be honest, I think the county should have an open enrollment instead of playing this shell game. Let the parents and students decide which school and/or program suits them.

Lol... I would like to know which girl from the golf team is from Reidsville, since their middle school doesn't even have a golf program. To be honest, I think the county should have an open enrollment instead of playing this shell game. Let the parents and students decide which school and/or program suits them.

One that is really really good and now plays D1

Not as many as kids that went to Reidsville schools and transferred out to Wentworth before middle or high school. Hell, I remember seeing ROCKINGHAM COUNTY GRADUATE signs in yards of house literally across the street from Reidsville. A few more up the street, as well.

A kid from Reidsville transferred to Rockingham County this year, he would have had a good chance to start at Reidsville.

The title is misleading, as this article does not project conferences, and they are revamping the way they determine classifications—they are not just using ADM’s this time.

Really interested to see where Burns ends up.
Here's my attempt at doing the conferences....and for the record, I usually start to attempt something like this every four years, but having that definitive, predetermined East/West cut line by certain counties made it easier to project the conferences

Here's my attempt at doing the conferences....and for the record, I usually start to attempt something like this every four years, but having that definitive, predetermined East/West cut line by certain counties made it easier to project the conferences

I have been waiting for someone to do the breakdown of conferences. Looks Great!

I have been waiting for someone to do the breakdown of conferences. Looks Great!
I'm working on some revisions.....strongly considering a 1A/2A split conference in the Randolph Co. area that would be what I have listed as the PAC 6 2A, and adding in Eastern Randolph & TW Andrews for sure, and maybe also Thomasville and/or South Davidson....(not that any of it matters)

Reactions: thekidd12
One of the major considerations in the new conference alignments is travel. Look for lots and lots of more split conferences with a goal of at least four (4) schools of similar classifications.

I agree Mule that more split conferences should be considered. I think travel should be a primary consideration but if it is, it will be the first time. I also see a lot of odd situations an problems with split leagues with the likes of Bethany being thrown into a 1A/2A split conference with Reidsville, Morehead, McMichael and say NE Guilford. Who would the other 1A's be?

If you pull N. Stokes & S. Stokes does W. Stokes want to come with them? They may or may not. If they did it would put 4 football playing schools in both 1A & 2A but to your point on travel. It's a long haul from N. Stokes to NE Guilford.

What about the Forsyth County 1A and 2A schools. Matching them up with the three Rockingham County schools and NE wouldn't be too bad. BM has football. Carver certainly isn't what they used to be but Walkertown and N. Forsyth are up and coming. That would be an 8 team league with one of the 1A's (Bethany) not being a football school. Travel in that conference would be more acceptable with the longest trip being Morehead to BM.

The NCHSAA has had the state divided into 8 regions for years. I know it was done to balance east and west but regions 4 and 5 have been split a bit. Region 5 now has three counties (Caswell, Alamance and Chatham) in the proposed east while region 4 has one (Montgomery). All the other counties in those regions are in the west. This means that for the next 4 years there is no possibility of schools in Rockingham, Guilford or Randolph counties being in a conference with schools from Caswell, Alamance or Chatham County. At the same time schools from Montgomery County (Guess there is only one traditional publicc school there now) will be in a league with schools from Randolph, Davidson Stanley or Anson counties. The line had to fall somewhere I guess.

Three regions, (1, 2 & 8) have schools in all classes that are really spread out. Historically, most split conferences have come from these regions. When you look at how many schools there are from each class within the "new" east & west regions I think one can get a better idea of what the good folks in Chapel Hill are planning to do. My feeling is they may stay stick strictly to regions and go with as few split conferences as possible and limiting them to the extreme western and eastern parts of the state as has been their practice.

Having only looked at the projected 1A's and 2A's in region 5, I don't know how things would fall out in other regions. With the new East/West division the following counties are left in region 5, Rockingham, Guilford, Forsyth, Stokes, Randolph and Davidson. Originally, I had 11, 1A schools in this region. I missed the Cornerstone Charter Cardinals and the NC Leadership Academy Falcons. Will they play football? Whether they do or don't that ups my total to 13, 1A schools in region 5. The schools are: Thomasville, HP Andrews, Reidsville, E. Randolph, Carver, BM, W-S Prep, N. Stokes, S. Stokes, S. Davidson and the charter mentioned above along with Bethany. Would leagues of 6 and 7 teams work? If none of the charters play football it might not but it would avoid having split conferences in the region.

I have 15, 2A schools in region 5 from those same counties listed above. They are E. Davidson, W. Stokes, NE Guilford, Wheatmore, SW Randolph, McMichael, Randleman, W. Davidson, Walkertown, N. Forsyth, Providence Grove, Morehead, Trinity, Lexington and Uwharrie Charter. Those schools divide nicely into a 6 team northern league with the Rockingham, Stokes and Forsyth County schools and a 9 team southern league with the Randolph and Davidson County schools. Uwharrie Charter is the only one of those schools without football.

To reiterate, the NCHSAA knows they can't make everyone happy. I sometimes think behind closed doors they feel they catch less grief if they pi$$ everyone off. In a way I don't blame them if they do feel that way. Guess we'll find our in about a week whose right as the first drafts are due to come out on the 10th?

TW Andrews likely stays 2A based on some adjusted numbers I saw (just a projection). They will be good to remain in the PAC-6. Thomasville, Reidsville and E Randolph are the ones that are kind of left out to be placed in 1A somewhere and will be facing long travel, especially the Rams and ER.

Will be interesting to see where these teams get placed. The non football charters have this thing all screwed up.

Reactions: thekidd12
TW Andrews likely stays 2A based on some adjusted numbers I saw (just a projection). They will be good to remain in the PAC-6. Thomasville, Reidsville and E Randolph are the ones that are kind of left out to be placed in 1A somewhere and will be facing long travel, especially the Rams and ER.

Will be interesting to see where these teams get placed. The non football charters have this thing all screwed up.

I still think it’s early and things may get adjusted

and Morehead wrestling... and Rockingham and McMichael baseball... and Rockingham women's basketball... and McMichael volleyball... and Rockingham women's golf... what's your point?
Reidsville knocked Morehead out the playoffs in wrestling last year, who would have ever thought that was going to happen. They had 9 states qualifiers. Reidsville wrestling is loaded again this year. They’re now The kings of Rockingham County in Wrestling

Few people remember that Reidsville won a state title in wrestling in 1969 back when it was all OPEN...in other words there was no 1,2,3 or 4A...all teams regardless of size competed.....................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT