ADVERTISEMENT

Projected 2A Teams For 2021-2025

burnsbulldogtweeter

Sep 12, 2013
Polkville, NC
www.facebook.com

The title is misleading, as this article does not project conferences, and they are revamping the way they determine classifications—they are not just using ADM’s this time.

Really interested to see where Burns ends up.

Reactions: Raiders Rollin
Couple ideas for some 2A con.
Con. 1
Shelby
Burns
East Gaston
Hunter Huss
Highland Tech
Lincolnton
West Lincoln
Lincoln Charter

Con. 2
Hendersonville
Owen
Polk County
RS Central
East Rutherford
Chase

Certanly will be interesting when it's released.

Con. 1
Shelby
Burns
East Gaston
Hunter Huss
Highland Tech
Lincolnton
West Lincoln
Lincoln Charter

Con. 2
Hendersonville
Owen
Polk County
RS Central
East Rutherford
Chase

Let the charter schools play with Cherryville and Bessemer City and Highland Tech in a split conference. I would prefer not to be with them, even though granted Lincoln Charter doesn’t play football. I wouldn’t mind being with Lincolnton and West Lincoln. I’d say add them to the SWC. (swapping out South Point for Huss). But sending Rutherford County west might be an option too. You could add East Burke and Patton if you did that.

Reactions: UNC91
Looks like Reidsville will be in a dump of a conference again... North Stokes, South Stokes, WS Prep, Bishop McGuinness, and Carver... maybe even Surry Central and Mt Airy

I hope Reidsville stays 2A, or there will be a lot of Reidsville vs Tarboro games in the future.

Reactions: UNC91
I don't believe anyone will be allowed to opt out of their class. Reidsville would be about as well off in a 1A/2A split league with the likes of schools like Morehead, McMichael, West Stokes, Walkertown or N. Forsyth.

If they get stuck in that strict 1A league don't forget Bethany Charter. Rams won't have to worry about football but they better look out in b-ball! LMAO!!

Could Reidsville get in with HP Andrew’s and Eastern Randolph?
Possibly but again would be well over an hour drive between ER and Reidsville. I know things are changing but right now furthest away conference game for ER is Wheat and they are about 40 minutes. And in Randolph county too so gates are usually good

Most likely Reidsville will be in a split conference with 2As Morehead and McMichael. Many possibilities after those two teams. Conferences to be announced December 12?

No, Mule! We need to make as big of a stink as possible. I know it won't help but still lol

No, Mule! We need to make as big of a stink as possible. I know it won't help but still lol
[/QUOTE

Other most likely suspects would be NE Guilford, Carver, South Stokes, North Stokes, Walkertown, N. Forsyth, West Stokes, Mt Airy.

Highly likely that Reidsville will be in a split 1A/2A conference.

Con. 1
Shelby
Burns
East Gaston
Hunter Huss
Highland Tech
Lincolnton
West Lincoln
Lincoln Charter

Con. 2
Hendersonville
Owen
Polk County
RS Central
East Rutherford
Chase

So would that leave Mountain Heritage, Madison, and Brevard in a split league with 3A schools from around Asheville? Also going to be interesting where the new school in Murphy goes when it opens toward the end of the realignment period, being about 2 1/2 hours west of any other (projected) 2A schools.

Last edited:
This is a hard thing to get right and make everyone happy. Years ago the NCHSAA said "no split conferences!" They've found out that's not possible.

I do applaud them for getting back to the idea of 25-25-25-25. The 20-30-30-20 thing was never going to be good. I think with the way this has shaken out with the classes they will find even more need for split leagues.

Schools have been struggling with budgets for a decade and now with Covid 19 taking a bigger bite, I can't see many principals & AD's agreeing to travel and hour an a half one way for tennis matches and other non revenue producing sports.

Reidsville is going to play the other county schools regardless so they may as well be in the same league. The same can be said of Mt Airy. They'll play W. Stokes, North Surry and East Surry for the gate. Split conferences make sense in both those cases.

Any school can toughen up their schedule with non conference teams. Take Reidsville as an example. It hasn't hurt their chances of winning state championships by playing a soft conference schedule. Some of you complain that they aren't as battle tested come playoff time but tell that to the people they have beat the hell of in the 3rd and 4th rounds. One benefit of a soft conference schedule is they get their young kids on the field. I also suspect they are more healthy come playoff time than teams that have had to scrap their way into the post season.

the question is going to be what to do with those Forsyth County and Stokes County schools that sit between Rockingham County and Surry County. I susepct that ER and the Randolph County schools will stay together and someone like HP Andrews joins them.

Reactions: thekidd12
Mixed emotions about Holmes moving back up to 2A but excited about it for the most part. Our enrollment is declining and we will be the smallest 2A team if I am looking at it correctly with a number of teams with larger enrollments staying 1A.

This is a hard thing to get right and make everyone happy. Years ago the NCHSAA said "no split conferences!" They've found out that's not possible.

I do applaud them for getting back to the idea of 25-25-25-25. The 20-30-30-20 thing was never going to be good. I think with the way this has shaken out with the classes they will find even more need for split leagues.

Schools have been struggling with budgets for a decade and now with Covid 19 taking a bigger bite, I can't see many principals & AD's agreeing to travel and hour an a half one way for tennis matches and other non revenue producing sports.

Reidsville is going to play the other county schools regardless so they may as well be in the same league. The same can be said of Mt Airy. They'll play W. Stokes, North Surry and East Surry for the gate. Split conferences make sense in both those cases.

Any school can toughen up their schedule with non conference teams. Take Reidsville as an example. It hasn't hurt their chances of winning state championships by playing a soft conference schedule. Some of you complain that they aren't as battle tested come playoff time but tell that to the people they have beat the hell of in the 3rd and 4th rounds. One benefit of a soft conference schedule is they get their young kids on the field. I also suspect they are more healthy come playoff time than teams that have had to scrap their way into the post season.

the question is going to be what to do with those Forsyth County and Stokes County schools that sit between Rockingham County and Surry County. I susepct that ER and the Randolph County schools will stay together and someone like HP Andrews joins them.

Yeah, Reidsville doesn’t purposely pls

If Thomasville up coming classes as good as they say... dare I say we could have a good rivalry with Reidsville? Be like the good playoff games against Albemarle.😎

If Thomasville up coming classes as good as they say... dare I say we could have a good rivalry with Reidsville? Be like the good playoff games against Albemarle.😎
All comes down to numbers. Hard to be competitive at any level with less than thirty dressed out.

All comes down to numbers. Hard to be competitive at any level with less than thirty dressed out.

Hopefully we have those numbers with the middle school students coming in. Also, need stability with the coaching staff. That's hurt us a lot since coach Brown retired.

Hopefully we have those numbers with the middle school students coming in. Also, need stability with the coaching staff. That's hurt us a lot since coach Brown retired.
I hope so too. It bothered me that even Coach Robertson, with all his success, couldn’t get the kids out. It’s a different day. The numbers even dwindled in Coach Brown’s last few years.

Reidville can opt to play up

Personally don't know when this works. SWO tried years ago when they were taken out of 2a which they were winning titles in or going to title game, I think they lost in the 1aa finals the next year. Every SWO fan misses the old ECC, but it usually works out competition wise. If I remember WRH started to destroy 1aa east when they got moved down a few years back.

As far as games, SWO still basically played the same teams. Playoffs the first year or two was dull, because first round games of 1aa are usually a mismatch. 2a good games start about 2nd round

I hope so too. It bothered me that even Coach Robertson, with all his success, couldn’t get the kids out. It’s a different day. The numbers even dwindled in Coach Brown’s last few years.

Think coach Robertson was able to build somewhat of a good foundation this past season. We went 8-4 with around 25 to 30 players playing both ways offense and defense. Wins over ND and OG who look to be going 3A I'm guessing. If coach Gillespie can continue that and flip one or two kids that would go to East Davidson, Ledford, and maybe OG we should be good.

Also, work on sp teams. Had too many blocked kicks...

Mainly, it’s getting the kids already in the halls, and keeping them focused, eligible and out of trouble.

OC, I wrote a long response, but have since changed it to the bullets below. Still a little long, but not the book it was. Remember folks, this is my opinion and I am always welcoming to feedback.

1- THS has about 70-80 boys that play sports and maybe 50-60 girls. These kids generally have played 2-3 sports boy or girl in the the past. Things are changing and those numbers are dwindling for various reasons so roster size is at critical points for many teams. Some are down to playing 1-2 sports and the competition among coaching staffs to have these shared kids at different workout sessions is tighter than ever. A few key athletes have chosen to play one sport now.

2- There are kids in the hallways that could add good depth to all boys and girls programs. Some would likely start if they were to play. A half dozen or so kids in every sport would be huge for THS. Right now THS cannot field a JV team in most sports except boys soccer, boys basketball and maybe football (which has ended up on the brink of folding the last 4-5 years by the middle of the season). Some sports are struggling to field a varsity team and many of the non-revenue sports teams are playing varsity competition with 9/10 graders in the lineup.
- That is a bad formula for success in the current CCC with all those schools having JV, Varsity and some even have 9th grade teams in a few sports.

3- Covid 19 will have an impact not just at THS.

- A good percentage of students are 100% online now. Will the have transportation to and from school for practice/games being at home.
- Grades/attendance issues will impact eligibility in the spring. Unless the NCHSAA makes some changes now.
- Lots of seniors are graduating early to begin college, work fulltime, join the military or just get out due to covid.
- Students are babysitting siblings, working and doing other activities they may not be able to release from to play sports.

4- Now for the positive outlook and future of THS sports based on a possible realignment (assuming THS does go 1A).
- The new 1A league will be smaller than the CCC so THS can still play county teams and get some good gates in all sports. Having 5-6 conference games allows for some good flexibility of scheduling with East, West, Ledford, Lexington and others close by.
- Currently scheduling is a nightmare for non-conference and availability to find some more competitive games in the non-revenue sports such as baseball. tennis, softball, etc. Getting beat by run rule in those sports causes kids to quit playing and not come back out. Thus the roster issues continue.
- The current 9/10 grade class is loaded with good athletes and some very competitive rosters mostly young returning for 20-21 seasons. The 9th grade class is active and will increase the roster size of most teams. Overall those classes should enjoy a nice run in football, basketball, soccer and wrestling on the boys side. Girls BB and VB is getting better also.
- Winning at the 1A level can promote roster size, overall athletic morale and community support. The trophy cases will see some new hardware in several sports at the conference, regional and hopefully state level.
- Covid will eventually end and somewhat hopefully some type of "normalcy" may return, but that is yet to be determined as to what that looks like going forward.

That is my take on the current and possible future status of THS. Biggest thing is getting the parents to support the kids, the school, the coaches and the admin team in the effort to bridge the gap in attendance, academics and overall willingness to play more sports, be in the band, join clubs and do after school activities that are healthy for them and grow school pride. I heard one of the best male athletes say on a call with the BOE that sports was the "only" reason many of his friends came to school anyways. The parents, community and staff have got to find a way to make academics more important to that way of thinking before sports will once again rise to the forefront at THS.

OC, I wrote a long response, but have since changed it to the bullets below. Still a little long, but not the book it was. Remember folks, this is my opinion and I am always welcoming to feedback.

1- THS has about 70-80 boys that play sports and maybe 50-60 girls. These kids generally have played 2-3 sports boy or girl in the the past. Things are changing and those numbers are dwindling for various reasons so roster size is at critical points for many teams. Some are down to playing 1-2 sports and the competition among coaching staffs to have these shared kids at different workout sessions is tighter than ever. A few key athletes have chosen to play one sport now.

2- There are kids in the hallways that could add good depth to all boys and girls programs. Some would likely start if they were to play. A half dozen or so kids in every sport would be huge for THS. Right now THS cannot field a JV team in most sports except boys soccer, boys basketball and maybe football (which has ended up on the brink of folding the last 4-5 years by the middle of the season). Some sports are struggling to field a varsity team and many of the non-revenue sports teams are playing varsity competition with 9/10 graders in the lineup.
- That is a bad formula for success in the current CCC with all those schools having JV, Varsity and some even have 9th grade teams in a few sports.

3- Covid 19 will have an impact not just at THS.

- A good percentage of students are 100% online now. Will the have transportation to and from school for practice/games being at home.
- Grades/attendance issues will impact eligibility in the spring. Unless the NCHSAA makes some changes now.
- Lots of seniors are graduating early to begin college, work fulltime, join the military or just get out due to covid.
- Students are babysitting siblings, working and doing other activities they may not be able to release from to play sports.

4- Now for the positive outlook and future of THS sports based on a possible realignment (assuming THS does go 1A).
- The new 1A league will be smaller than the CCC so THS can still play county teams and get some good gates in all sports. Having 5-6 conference games allows for some good flexibility of scheduling with East, West, Ledford, Lexington and others close by.
- Currently scheduling is a nightmare for non-conference and availability to find some more competitive games in the non-revenue sports such as baseball. tennis, softball, etc. Getting beat by run rule in those sports causes kids to quit playing and not come back out. Thus the roster issues continue.
- The current 9/10 grade class is loaded with good athletes and some very competitive rosters mostly young returning for 20-21 seasons. The 9th grade class is active and will increase the roster size of most teams. Overall those classes should enjoy a nice run in football, basketball, soccer and wrestling on the boys side. Girls BB and VB is getting better also.
- Winning at the 1A level can promote roster size, overall athletic morale and community support. The trophy cases will see some new hardware in several sports at the conference, regional and hopefully state level.
- Covid will eventually end and somewhat hopefully some type of "normalcy" may return, but that is yet to be determined as to what that looks like going forward.

That is my take on the current and possible future status of THS. Biggest thing is getting the parents to support the kids, the school, the coaches and the admin team in the effort to bridge the gap in attendance, academics and overall willingness to play more sports, be in the band, join clubs and do after school activities that are healthy for them and grow school pride. I heard one of the best male athletes say on a call with the BOE that sports was the "only" reason many of his friends came to school anyways. The parents, community and staff have got to find a way to make academics more important to that way of thinking before sports will once again rise to the forefront at THS.
Excellent assessment, WOW71, and I agree completely. Of everything you said, the parental support component may be the toughest.
One of the keys to success is the importance of relying on the community for support as well. Not knocking any individual, but there has been tremendous change. Not long ago, the school board, the administration, the principals, the AD and most coaches came from the school system and lived in Thomasville. Now, with the exception of the board, who must live in the district, almost no one has those long community ties. And some of the board have
a short history with the system.
There are a few people listed above who try to be involved in the community and get to know the people who have a long history of helping out when it’s needed. But most don’t.
An example. The $7500 for the play clocks took half a dozen phone calls and less than 24 hours. But you have to know who to call and be willing to pick up the phone. Money and support aren’t everything. But they are two things that Thomasville lacks.
I think we can be athletically successful in 1A. Unless we get placed in an eight or nine team conference with no natural and traditional rivals and lots of travel. Four years of that will make it mighty tough.
As an aside, thanks for what you do for the kids.

Everybody wants to be the big fish in the little pond. I can already tell you everybody is playing for second behind Reidsville, they will dominate 1AA the same way they do in 2A . So just stop with all the dreaming......

Everybody wants to be the big fish in the little pond. I can already tell you everybody is playing for second behind Reidsville, they will dominate 1AA the same way they do in 2A . So just stop with all the dreaming......
Actually, I’d prefer not to be the big fish in the little pond. And I’d bet Reidsville feels the same way.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT