ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Big South Football Predictions(will be updated after fall practice begins)

shutdownD24

Sep 6, 2014
My early Big South Football Predictions

1. KM- legit state title contender who will challenge Catholic this year. Absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball with a good mix of veteran and young talent.
2. Hunter Huss- Huss defense will take a step back but the Huskies are loaded at the skill positions. Huss also had a lot of young talent waiting in the wings last year for their time to shine. This year is that year.
3. Crest- Crest has some rebuilding to do after losing so many seniors but it has some really good young talent to work with along with great tradition. Crest jv’s were a talented group. Crest’s head coach will have his whole system in place with this group.
4. Stuart Cramer- The boys in purple aren’t going anywhere just yet and the Karr kid is a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. Cramer also has the potential to finish higher than fourth depending on how the young kids jell at Huss and Crest.
5. Ashbrook- the Wave has a system in place but it suffers from a case of looking like Tarzan but playing like Jane syndrome. The Brook has talent but it has some work to do on the field and also with their image in Gaston County and Gastonia in particular. We will see.
6. Forestview- The Jags have some pieces but not enough to compete in this conference.
7. North Gaston- the same boat as FV talent wise with a couple of super talented players here and there. The Wildcats will scrap every week but will not have enough wood and the wagon to roll with the big boys.

I will update my predictions after the usual summer workouts, transfers, and eligibility status changes lol. I’ve also heard of a couple of big transfers that have happened or are in the works so we will see.

Reactions: Mountaineer1972
Will Karr be able to play this season with his injury?
I heard Karr will for go his senior year. Conference will be KM and Huss and then Crest and then the rest. I expect FV, Ashbrook, Cramer, NG to all be down.

Will Karr be able to play this season with his injury?
You are right, I forgot about the ACL injury he suffered at one of the camps. I imagine that since he has verbally committed that UNC will prefer that he sits the upcoming season to focus on rehab.

Does McCoy leaving change the look of the Big South?
Definitely. In more ways than one. He is not only a good coach but hometown guy, Huss alum, with community ties throughout Gastonia. It would be a tremendous blow for Huss to lose him.

As I said earlier we will be alright. These boys have played together for years. Everybody knew about him applying weeks ago. Life will go on

As I said earlier we will be alright. These boys have played together for years. Everybody knew about him applying weeks ago. Life will go on
Who takes the reigns? With it being this late, do they go with an interim from within?

Does McCoy leaving change the look of the Big South?

Definitely. In more ways than one. He is not only a good coach but hometown guy, Huss alum, with community ties throughout Gastonia. It would be a tremendous blow for Huss to lose him.

McKoy decided to stay at Hunter Huss. I did not realize he had originally accepted the job but he changed his mind and decided to stay.

My early Big South Football Predictions

1. KM- legit state title contender who will challenge Catholic this year. Absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball with a good mix of veteran and young talent.
2. Hunter Huss- Huss defense will take a step back but the Huskies are loaded at the skill positions. Huss also had a lot of young talent waiting in the wings last year for their time to shine. This year is that year.
3. Crest- Crest has some rebuilding to do after losing so many seniors but it has some really good young talent to work with along with great tradition. Crest jv’s were a talented group. Crest’s head coach will have his whole system in place with this group.
4. Stuart Cramer- The boys in purple aren’t going anywhere just yet and the Karr kid is a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. Cramer also has the potential to finish higher than fourth depending on how the young kids jell at Huss and Crest.
5. Ashbrook- the Wave has a system in place but it suffers from a case of looking like Tarzan but playing like Jane syndrome. The Brook has talent but it has some work to do on the field and also with their image in Gaston County and Gastonia in particular. We will see.
6. Forestview- The Jags have some pieces but not enough to compete in this conference.
7. North Gaston- the same boat as FV talent wise with a couple of super talented players here and there. The Wildcats will scrap every week but will not have enough wood and the wagon to roll with the big boys.

I will update my predictions after the usual summer workouts, transfers, and eligibility status changes lol. I’ve also heard of a couple of big transfers that have happened or are in the works so we will see.

I am going to revise my predictions slightly from my earlier posting:

1. Still KM but the Mountaineers will have a couple of dogfights in conference to navigate. I see the Mountaineers starting off a little slower than usual and getting stronger as the season progresses.
2. Crest - I believe the Chargers are going to be better than predicted. The Chargers have some big young in’s in the trenches
3. Toss up between Ashbrook and Huss. I am going to lean Huss because of talented young guys but this could go either way. I don’t know why Huss scheduled Vance this year because I can’t see their young guys being ready for that type of talent early in the year.
4. Ashbrook- Should be much improved but it is still Ashbrook. One week they play like Alabama and the next week they play like Alabama School of the Blind. The Brook has the talent to make their version of the bone dangerous.
5. Stuart Cramer- The boys in purple can finish a little higher, anywhere from 3-5. Love their running back but losing their tight end hurt. He was a matchup nightmare on the high school level.
6. Forestview and NG will fight it out for 6th and 7th. Both have the misfortune of playing in this conference. Both teams would be middle of the pack or higher in more than a few 3A conferences around the state.
** Although Burns is not in the conference anymore I want to give them a plug. The Bulldogs will be much improved and dangerous in 2A this year. I also think that the Bulldogs have a chance to be really special in a couple of years if it can keep its kids in Lawndale playing for the Dawgs.

I know it's just a scrimmage, but Ashbrook didn't look good at all at Burns Friday. We played a 10 minute scrimmage against them and started on the 40 yard line. They didn't get past the 30. We sacked them 3 times and forced a turnover I believe.

We scored twice on them in that portion of the scrimmage.

We also played game situation against them and won 7-0 during that. Although I didn't get to see that part to dissect it.

I know it's just a scrimmage, but Ashbrook didn't look good at all at Burns Friday. We played a 10 minute scrimmage against them and started on the 40 yard line. They didn't get past the 30. We sacked them 3 times and forced a turnover I believe.

We scored twice on them in that portion of the scrimmage.

We also played game situation against them and won 7-0 during that. Although I didn't get to see that part to dissect it.

We had the ball the majority of the game situation. They did break out a good run when they had the ball. But all in all was not impressed with Ashbrook against us.

Burns should be pretty good this year. I think Ashbrook will get better as the year progresses. I am sure both team kept it pretty basic for this first scrimmage.

Week one -

Crest vs South Point

Crest wins 31-20

Kings Mountain vs Burns

KM wins 42-14

Ashbrook vs Green Hope

Ashbrook wins 24-13

Forestview vs Northwest Cabarrus

NW wins 31-17

Stuart Cramer vs Lincolnton

SC wins 21-10

Hunter Huss vs Rocky River

Huss wins 38-10

North Gaston vs East Gaston

NOGA wins 27-10

Week one -

Crest vs South Point
Crest wins 27-20

Kings Mountain vs Burns
KM wins 35-21

Ashbrook vs Green Hope
Ashbrook wins 21-13

Forestview vs Northwest Cabarrus
NW wins 31-7
I saw FV scrimmage, wasn't overly impressed.

Stuart Cramer vs Lincolnton
SC wins 21-14
SC is putting in a new run oriented offense. Heard they looked bad in the Gaston County Jamboree.

Hunter Huss vs Rocky River
Huss wins 20-10

North Gaston vs East Gaston
EG wins 20-14
EG is improved. How much remains to be seen. Everything is new; offense, defense, coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT