ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for the SAC 8

With Richmond on top!

I still expect Hoke, Scotland, and Pinecrest to be strong.

- RC has 10 players if my math serves me correctly with D1 offers. There has not been a team in Eastern, NC with that many offers since Douglas Byrd back in the 80's unless I'm missing someone. Hopefully there will be a season. If they don't win it and the ship there will be a bunch of long faces between Laurel Hill and Wadesboro! I expect them to and knowing that they probably will not! They are loaded that is for sure!

Richmond the overwhelming favorite, anything besides a conf title and a deep deep run is a disappointment for the westernmost conf member .
Scot, PC, Hoke, 71st , Britt all fighting for 2-6.

Raiders
Scotland
Pinecrest
Britt
Hoke
Lumberton
PS
Raiders lost a ton on the defense especially the back end. Most of the offense is returning. I do think we will be challenged more this year but I think we win every game by double digits except for one.

Raiders
Scotland
Pinecrest
Britt
Hoke
Lumberton
PS
Raiders lost a ton on the defense especially the back end. Most of the offense is returning. I do think we will be challenged more this year but I think we win every game by double digits except for one.
That front 7 will have to step up big-time.

We will be fine the front 7 will be big and strong and we have some hungry young talent in the backend.

RC
SC
PC
JB
HC
Lumb
PS
This has been one of the best conferences in the state the past few years but it could be a little down this year, except for RC. They should compete for a state championship this year. A lot of teams have some big holes to fill.

As a Scot I hate to see our numbers go down the way they have, but I do understand why people are leaving...hard to find work in the area, and if you do it pays next to nothing... Saw us going 3A a long long long time ago...

There would be some other options for a sandhills 3A league with schools like Union Pines, Montgomery Central, Southern Lee, Lee County.

There would be some other options for a sandhills 3A league with schools like Union Pines, Montgomery Central, Southern Lee, Lee County.
Help those schools if they are going to be pitted with SC. Can a school petition to stay in a classification if their numbers are below the threshold?

Can a school petition to stay in a classification if their numbers are below the threshold?

In the old days (1990's and back) it was common to have some schools play up in class, but I haven't seen it happen in decades.

I see the schools in the Sandhills area continuing to shrink. I know that the jobs that once were there are gone but if you look closer there are several reasons why those schools are shrinking. Many people may not want to live in downtown Charlotte or Raleigh but many people moving to NC are moving close to those urban areas not the very rural areas. So not being close to a bigger city or even town hurts schools like Scottland, Richmond, ect and I know Fayetteville is kind of close but no one other than military is moving there. So people are also moving out and getting closer to the city Just look what has happened to Anson county over the past 20 years I fear this is Scottland and Richmond counties fate which is sad but I fear true. It is no different than where I come from in PA , Steel mills and coal mines dry up jobs dry up people move talent pool shrinks. But there is hope anyone on here look at Aliquippa HS in PA look what they do with a lot less population then they used to have. They have a 1A enrollment but play up in 3A and win a lot so. I just hate to see it when I first moved here in '98 the sandhills conference with Scottland Richmond and Anson County were the killing fields of High school football, when you went there to play you got killed

Last edited:
I see the schools in the Sandhills area continuing to shrink. I know that the jobs that once were there are gone but if you look closer there are several reasons why those schools are shrinking. Many people may not want to live in downtown Charlotte or Raleigh but many people moving to NC are moving close to those urban areas not the very rural areas. So not being close to a bigger city or even town hurts schools like Scottland, Richmond, ect and I know Fayetteville is kind of close but no one other than military is moving there. So people are also moving out and getting closer to the city Just look what has happened to Anson county over the past 20 years I fear this is Scottland and Richmond counties fate which is sad but I fear true. It is no different than where I come from in PA , Steel mills and coal mines dry up jobs dry up people move talent pool shrinks. But there is hope anyone on here look at Aliquippa HS in PA look what they do with a lot less population then they used to have. They have a 1A enrollment but play up in 3A and win a lot so. I just hate to see it when I first moved here in '98 the sandhills conference with Scottland Richmond and Anson County were the killing fields of High school football, when you went there to play you got killed

All facts you wrote. I’m a Richmond County native and so is my wife, and I hate to say this, but my daughter will not grow up there. It’s a great community to come up in if your parents/guardians are comfortable there, but there’s a huge issue in having talent and bright minds come back home once they leave due to a lack of occupational opportunity that matches said talent. Richmond County, always my home, has seen better days and I doubt those glory days return.

Reactions: Greengold_4ever
As a Scot I hate to see our numbers go down the way they have, but I do understand why people are leaving...hard to find work in the area, and if you do it pays next to nothing... Saw us going 3A a long long long time ago...

I'm also guessing alot of those private schools/academys are playing a big roll in that as well.

Look for Richmond Senior to make a possible "threepeat" as Sandhills Athletic Conference 2020 regular season football champions. But, five other teams could shock and surprise the Raiders as there will be a very competitive battle for second place in the conference.

Pinecrest, Scotland, Hoke County, 71st and Jack Britt all will fight for second place in the league. I've got to give Pinecrest the edge for second, as the Patriot have won their last two battles versus Scotland. But, the Patriots will try to gain revenge versus Hoke County as the Bucks shocked the Patriots last year in Raeford. 71st and Jack Britt will battle for fifth, but either team could move up higher.

Purnell Swett and Lumberton are both rebuilding and will fight to stay out of the conference cellar.

1) Richmond Senior
2) Pinecrest
3) Scotland
4) Hoke County
5) JackBritt
6) 71st
7) Purnell Swett
8) Lumberton

1) Richmond Senior
2) Pinecrest
3) Scotland
4) Hoke County