ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Post your comments here!!

Deuce_24

Aug 16, 2014
Does anyone have insight to where it is going to be held? I know it is Area I's turn in the rotation, just hadn't heard if anyone had put in a bid in to host yet or not.

I want to thank all that posted throughout the year, baseball1955, West Boy, Linkman, Mr. Lincolnton, Skools, deuce 24, chute box, Hon dines, Post 36, if I missed someone it is not intentional.

Like most of you, I believe it is the best baseball for HS kids available. One of my darkest moments was when our program no longer had Senior Legion Baseball. (2015) I admire the heck out of guys like Post 36, Randolph County, Mocksville, Churaville, Rowan County and the others that try to do it the right way and are successful. ( I think we tried to do it the right way)

Everyone don't be strangers, stop by here and say "HELLO" every so often.

Thank a Veteran Today!

I want to thank all that posted throughout the year, baseball1955, West Boy, Linkman, Mr. Lincolnton, Skools, deuce 24, chute box, Hon dines, Post 36, if I missed someone it is not intentional.

Like most of you, I believe it is the best baseball for HS kids available. One of my darkest moments was when our program no longer had Senior Legion Baseball. (2015) I admire the heck out of guys like Post 36, Randolph County, Mocksville, Churaville, Rowan County and the others that try to do it the right way and are successful. ( I think we tried to do it the right way)

Thank a Veteran Today!

I have absolutely no affiliation with Rowan County American Legion Baseball aside from the work I do with team manager Mark Cauble with social media and keeping everyone informed. I love American Legion Baseball and believe it is done the right way and the lessons it teaches through baseball is lasting. I'll be back every so often to check in on the board. Maybe in a few months, we can start talking about the 2017 season and who the early favorites are. Legion ball is so hard to predict of course because you never know who is playing and who isn't playing next year. Aside from predicting the usual guys, it's all speculation. But that's the fun of it.

Thanks for a great year, guys!

Reactions: Deuce_24

Thank a Veteran Today!

Couldn't agree more. ALB is baseball in its most pure form. Thank you for you contributions to ALB and to the forum SN17 and likewise to all of the other names you mentioned.

Last edited:
Thank's to all that keep posting all the updates possible. On to 2017

Anyone have any rules updates from this weekends conference?

Anyone have any guesses as to who it might be? Would just assume it would be a Rowan player, but that may be a bad assumption. lol

American Legion today announced their new rules for pitch counts in 2017

http://www.legion.org/baseball/234452/legion-baseball-adopts-pitch-count-rule-2017

I would of liked to see the Max for Senior down from 120 pitches to 110 max.

The one that really bothers me is if your pitcher throws 1-45 pitches he has to take a day off. Where in high school i believe 1-30 you don't have to have any rest days. That will really hurt some teams in the regular season with back to back games and especially the playoffs. 1-20 pitches should be no days off!

How will any opposing teams monitor this!

More scoring will be seen next year!

You beat me to it Skools.

I agree with you on the 1-45. Most kids throw a bullpen that's within that range the day before a start. I would like to see the American legion move the roster spots up to 20 players for this reason. 2 more roster spots will allow some flexibility in order to meet this pitch count rule. If not, there will possibly less games scheduled, which means less gate money and also less opportunities for the players. This will be especially tough for some of the programs who are unsure if they will have a team year in and year out. Don't get me wrong, I agree with protecting the players, I just believe adding 2 additional roster spots(most likely pitchers) will balance this out all around. Another issue will be properly keeping up with these stats during the game and weekly. What if my pitch chart doesn't match the opposing teams chart? This will mess with the progress of the game, and the next time a pitcher is available. The last thing I want is kids being involved in protests. Hopefully our state or Area, will figure out fair way of passing this information on during the season. As a coach myself, my job is to focus on my team. I don't always know when the opposing pitcher last had an appearance, or whether he should be on 1, 2, 3, or 4 days rest.

Anyone have any guesses as to who it might be? Would just assume it would be a Rowan player, but that may be a bad assumption. lol

Yeah, I wouldn't assume it's the best player off of the team that advanced the farthest. IIRC, last year a young man from Davidson County was selected.

It really limits you with players especially with Playoffs. What is the point of the Closer then? You can't tell me a college player isn't going to be used in back to back days on the weekend. You can't tell me a high school relief pitcher won't be used back to back day's either.

With the amount of vacations, travel ball, and work most teams don't have their full 18 every game!

This will make teams want to play series so they can monitor this! There will be no way for another team to know how many pitches the kid threw 2 days ago against a opposing team!

Anyone know of anyone that will not have a team in 2017?

American Legion today announced their new rules for pitch counts in 2017

http://www.legion.org/baseball/234452/legion-baseball-adopts-pitch-count-rule-2017

I would of liked to see the Max for Senior down from 120 pitches to 110 max.

The one that really bothers me is if your pitcher throws 1-45 pitches he has to take a day off. Where in high school i believe 1-30 you don't have to have any rest days. That will really hurt some teams in the regular season with back to back games and especially the playoffs. 1-20 pitches should be no days off!

How will any opposing teams monitor this!

More scoring will be seen next year!

Agreed with the 1-20 pitches, even 30 pitches would be ok. This rule will be especially tough in the playoffs when you want to play the match-ups. That's ludicrous to me that 1 pitch carries the same weight as 45. Surely this one will be revisited.

As far as rosters go, I agree with ondeck12 that adding 2 more to the rosters will help alleviate pitch count rules. I don't mind the rule as far as protecting young men's arms but I foresee keeping track of pitch counts to be an issue moving forward - even though I'd like to believe most programs would have the integrity to be honest and not risk the health of a player for the sake of winning a game.

Last edited:
Deuce_24 I know you have been involved and have worked with or seen some of these coaches. Unfortunately there will be coaches that try to shave off some pitches each inning to get their kids available earlier than they should.

Just saw where high schools are looking at 120 pitch count. Here's what it says:

*If a pitcher throws 96-120 or more pitches in a day, five (5) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 81-95 pitches in a day, four (4) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 66-80 pitches in a day, three (3) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 51-65 pitches in a day, two (2) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 36-50 pitches in a day, one (1) calendar day of rest is required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 1-35 pitches in a day, zero (0) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.

Notice the 1-35 requires "0" days of rest. I'm hoping the American Legion will change their rule to this. What's the point of having a closer, if he can't close?

The new article on the website is confirming 1-45 is a required rest day!

Thank a Veteran Today!

It was fun. Unfortunately, based on the announcement today about the forum changes it looks like come Nov 11 there will no longer be a American Legion Baseball forum. I have enjoyed talking baseball with all the folks here. A special thanks to Hon Dines who initiated the forum back when.

Reactions: Hon Dines
It was fun. Unfortunately, based on the announcement today about the forum changes it looks like come Nov 11 there will no longer be a American Legion Baseball forum. I have enjoyed talking baseball with all the folks here. A special thanks to Hon Dines who initiated the forum back when.

That's unfortunate. Looks like we will have to post under the "free forum."

I agree with all the points made by Skools and Ondeck. It will be a mess to figure out when there are protests and disputes about pitch counts. I'm all for protecting kids arms but I'm not sure this is the answer....seems to go over board. A question could be asked about how well efforts in recent years related to innings counts/pitch counts are really working based on all the arm troubles that continue to be experienced across baseball organizations.

Last edited:
I agree with all the points made by Skools and Ondeck. It will be a mess to figure out when there are protests and disputes about pitch counts. I'm all for protecting kids arms but I'm not sure this is the answer....seems to go over board. A question could be asked about how well efforts in recent years related to innings counts/pitch counts are really working based on all the arm troubles that continue to be experienced across baseball organizations.

Arm troubles have more to do with pitching year around and not taking a break.

I agree Sportsnut

High School Season Feburary-May
Summer- May- August
Fall -August-October

Dead season should be November-January- Here is the issue I think they recommend 4 months time off never happens. Kids go see a pitching coach this off season months to get better. They never take off. The mindset in those months is I have to get better. In reality your only hurting your arm.

My opinion is get rid of this fall ball. I never had fall ball growing up but if you must keep it cut it down.

I was mostly referring to major league baseball organizations whose pitchers are having more arm troubles than ever before despite lots of attention to innings/pitch counts in the minors and their early years in the majors. Maybe it is because they pitch year round too much prior to getting to that level.

Last edited:
I was mostly referring to major league baseball organizations whose pitchers are having more arm troubles than ever before despite lots of attention to innings/pitch counts in the minors and their early years in the majors. Maybe it is because they pitch year round too much prior to getting to that level.
Exactly and pitching to a gun.

We have an unbelievably low percentage of our kids having arm problems because our kids work, run & throw for conditioning everyday. Success rarely happens by accident or a result of laziness.

Any news on new teams or teams folding yet. Only 5 months till the season. Will be here before you know it.

FYI my advice: When I first started coaching I thought I would be able to start recruiting players May 1st and start reaching out to sponsors at the same time. Boy was I wrong. I have already started to reach out to sponsors and have gotten $4,500 before I really start to him them hard in January. We try to raise $6,500 on our own and the kids paying $250 a pop gets up $4,500 for a total of $11,000 to run our team each year. Then I start reaching out to players the first week in March. Everyone does it different but the earlier you start the less work and stress it is in the back end and possibility of not being able to field a team because of financial restrictions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT