ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Post scores: 1A-4A

OK have a serious question about Maxpreps rankings.

Eastern Randolph lost in first round of playoffs to Nash Central, a team with a much higher ranking. Providence Grove and Randleman have made it to 3rd round in 2A and Union Pines the same in 3A. Those teams continue to rise in latest rankings, which makes sense. However ER has fallen.

Shouldn't "strength of schedule" component everyone talks about be an improvement in ER ranking? The three teams I mentioned ER played a total of 7 games, almost 1/3 of their schedule. Makes sense to me that if that is so important in Maxpreps rankings that it would improve the final ranking of ER?

Sorry I still don't get it

Strength of Schedule helps, but losses hurt more than strength of schedule helps is my understanding.

Strength of Schedule helps, but losses hurt more than strength of schedule helps is my understanding.
That would make perfect sense.

But that doesn't explain why a team like Washington, at 12-7 I think was ranked in top 15 almost all year in 2A. And they may be that good but lost a bunch of those games against teams ranked higher. This was often said by many to be because of schedule strength.

To me the formula needs to be more transparent so "slow" people like me could possibly understand.

That would make perfect sense.

But that doesn't explain why a team like Washington, at 12-7 I think was ranked in top 15 almost all year in 2A. And they may be that good but lost a bunch of those games against teams ranked higher. This was often said by many to be because of schedule strength.

To me the formula needs to be more transparent so "slow" people like me could possibly understand.

Certainly, I would love to know more about how it works. It would also help coaches to know how to schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT