ADVERTISEMENT

Please read this article on Charters/Magnets in 1A

[QUOTE="VIKING STRONG, post: 312825, member: 12330" Should the public be paying taxes to a school who can turn down a student that lives in the immediate area that wants to attend the school? The answer is no. No state dollars should go to a school that hand picks there students. That's why they should be a private school and make their funds with tuition instead of tax payer dollars.[/QUOTE]

I agree WSP has a huge advantage in basketball and I do think it needs to be addressed by the NCHSAA but the remainder of the statement above is way off base.

I doubt WSP is turning many prospective students away if any. There are regular public high schools that have programs that students must compete to be admitted to.

Btango it sure doesn't seem that way. The only program of competition at prep is on the hardwood. 5 straight championship appearances and the lowest report card in the state is evidence of that. I see nothing educational there. I do however find it funny that they got a dose of their own medicine yesterday. They ran into another ADVANTAGE school with even a larger pool to pick from. Even though that's bitter sweet for most (especially in the West) its still bitter and even more evidence that we gotta get these schools in their own organization.

This is the statement that I was referencing, "Should the public be paying taxes to a school who can turn down a student that lives in the immediate area that wants to attend the school?"

We do not know if students were turned down? If they were that does not justify the school not receiving funding. Programs and schools are setup to serve which does not mean every prospective student must be admitted.

Forsyth County is the issue with WSP. The school is a failure academically. The state is the cause of the charter schools.

Last edited:
Forsyth County is the issue with WSP. The school is a failure academically. The state is the cause of the charter schools.[/QUOTE]
Btango, you know closing under performing schools is a real challenge. Especially when that school in an under privileged area. End of last year there were serious discussion as what to do with WSP, (close or move or consolidate) if for no other reason the space is much needed for an outdated MS. There is around 900 seats in that school and only about 400 being utilized. The BOD did not bring it to vote, decided to table it to a later date, which generally means, never to be heard from again. There were 11 schools in the WSFCS system that scores are some of the worse in the state. WSP is one of them. Several of these schools are having a complete blowup, no admins or teachers retained. That is not the route they are going with prep, but there will be major changes in academics and staff. Need I say anymore when published demographics of the school is 85% black, 10% Hispanic and 5% other. 83% of the teachers at the school reported bullying as the number one issue inside the school. I didn't look up the number but I would almost guess all students are on free breakfast and lunch program. I know this may sound corny but the only good that WSP hears is winning in basketball. It is always in the media of their academic problems. As far as worry of them becoming a football powerhouse, it.s not going to happen. Too many strong 4a HS in football for these kids to transfer to, exposure there is 10 times greater than 1a HS.

I am a Forsyth county guy and I have been on record for years against the open transfer policy. I closely follow one of the large 4AA and I will assure you they have benefitted by transfers in all sports. All HS in Forsyth county have benefitted in some way.

Last edited:
Easy fix. Non-traditional schools play UP a classification. Or start a new 1A "traditional school only" Association!! Game over!
Heck if everyone in the SMC agrees to this (and this is highly likely), our NEW conference would be the same!

Reactions: SDfan84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT