ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs -- Which format is correct?

taughtatshs

Mar 5, 2009
Even with my seeing the brackets (NCHSAA website noted) I still hear conflicting information from radio announcers and from football pundits on NcPreps.
In this spring 2021 shortened season, will there be eight champions crowned (1A, 1AA, 2A, 2AA, 3A, 3AA, 4A, 4AA) or will there be four champions crowned (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A)?

Also...
Are the #1 seeds from each conference "randomly drawn" for "seeding"? Or are they seeded/ranked by MaxPreps or some other ratings system?

Thanks, everyone.

8 champions in the spring 4 in the fall. I believe seeding will be a random draw of the 1's 2's and wildcard.
Random for the wildcard as well? wow.. seems unfair.... but the association has done weird things for the 2021-2022 conferences, so why should I be surprised?

Thanks for the info!

I think there will only be minimal wildcards but as far as them being a 7 or an 8 seed I think its a draw. I think Who the Wildcard is, is based on conference winning percentage followed by who knows what.

This format is confusing?? So, Shelby could get the #4 seed and Hibriten could get #5? Or is is a 16 team bracket? I would rather see the powerhouse teams play later..

"1. Draws for the line placement of
berths will occur in random order.
2. All #1 berths will be drawn first,
followed by #2 berths, followed by any
#3 berths and wildcard teams.
3. Whenever possible, competition
between conference opponents in the
1st round will be avoided. This may
require the removal of a line placement
draw possibility for a given team."

Reactions: Raiders Rollin
I just read that as well @beamer24 however knowing what the soccer team’s bracket was there was a lot of similarities between the seeds and Maxpreps rankings in my opinion... I mean honestly how much uproar would it be if Hibriten, Shelby, Reidsville end up the #8 seed and never even play at home in the playoffs??

Rally hate they are getting rid of subdivisions with such a disparity in numbers. And I never had a problem with eight more teams and communities getting to experience it.

Reactions: dogs79
I just read that as well @beamer24 however knowing what the soccer team’s bracket was there was a lot of similarities between the seeds and Maxpreps rankings in my opinion... I mean honestly how much uproar would it be if Hibriten, Shelby, Reidsville end up the #8 seed and never even play at home in the playoffs??
If I have looked at it right there will be 4-5 #1 conference winners so all but 1 if there are 5 would get at least 1 home game.

So let me see if I understand this right if your team bust its butt through the pandemic, play by the rules and excels it doesn’t make any difference, it’s all random and you get treated like crap. What this Stste needs is a new high school athletic association. The legislature needs to continue their investigation of best practices

Probably the same uproar -- to deaf "association" ears -- as for most of those asinine blended conferences for next year.

I am talking about each bracket. For example the 2AA west bracket will only have 8 teams so of those 8 teams you'll probably have only 4 conference winners.

Reactions: taughtatshs
The headline states projections but it explains the spring playoff format

A much better explanation here... thanks!
So if R-S Central were to upset Burns, then the scramble for seeding would be maddening!

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
A much better explanation here... thanks!
So if R-S Central were to upset Burns, then the scramble for seeding would be maddening!
I assume if R-S Central beats Burns it will be a similar scenario that Mitchell and Polk is having in 1A. If Mitchell beats Avery then Polk and Mitchell will be tied for 1st place and there will be a coin toss for conference champion because they didn't get to play so the winner is a #1 automatic qualifier and the other a wild card in the Burns / RS situation the coin toss would decide #2 automatic qualifier and the other would hope for a wild card

"1. Draws for the line placement of
berths will occur in random order.
2. All #1 berths will be drawn first,
followed by #2 berths, followed by any
#3 berths and wildcard teams.
3. Whenever possible, competition
between conference opponents in the
1st round will be avoided. This may
require the removal of a line placement
draw possibility for a given team."

I'm glad you are on this 2A board.....to explain everything!

This format is confusing?? So, Shelby could get the #4 seed and Hibriten could get #5? Or is is a 16 team bracket? I would rather see the powerhouse teams play later..
The seeds will only be 1-8 in each bracket after subdividing into A & AA....32 from across the state make playoffs, and the 16 for East & West are already predetermined by conference, then those 16 in each region will be split into A & AA....they might seed 1-16 all of the teams in each region based on the conference random draw, and then those will be separated into two groups of 1-8....I believe the random draw is by conference, not school...and I heard from a reliable source they will be using the 19-20 ADM numbers for subdivision

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT