ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Legion After Freshman Year In College

Skools

Jul 10, 2009
Is it me or does it seem like players now deem playing legion baseball after their freshman year in college as a bad thing? Seems as though players have that mindset now that it is looked down upon as being embarrassed to play after their freshman year and it won't get them any better. Please exclude Division 1 players from this. I am talking D2, D3, NAIA and Juco's. I will say the explosion of summer collegiate leagues and teams doesn't help.

College wood bat summer leagues are on the way out. Hard to play a game without pitchers and it's rapidly approaching that the only college guys who are pitching in the summer are rehabing an injury or just didn't pitch much.

My experience is the kids get a blend of negative cool point deductions from their college coach, parents, and other players who don't understand Legion. The Legion coaches who have their kids bought in struggle less with this, but it is a legitimate obstacle to overcome. Status quo Legion coaches just don't have a chance. You must fight all the off field stuff to have a chance to win on the field.

College wood bat summer leagues are on the way out. Hard to play a game without pitchers and it's rapidly approaching that the only college guys who are pitching in the summer are rehabing an injury or just didn't pitch much.

My experience is the kids get a blend of negative cool point deductions from their college coach, parents, and other players who don't understand Legion. The Legion coaches who have their kids bought in struggle less with this, but it is a legitimate obstacle to overcome. Status quo Legion coaches just don't have a chance. You must fight all the off field stuff to have a chance to win on the field.

Amen! To me recruiting players to play legion is almost as important than coaching players on the field. Some will argue it's more important to recruit better players than what a coach does on the field during the legion season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT