ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball pitching rule

BASEBALLFAN1955

Jul 6, 2010
some times a team has to play 2 games on the same day in tournament, if pitcher cant pitch in both games you well need a lot pitchers , may want to change the tournament format to a series against the same

Legion is already putting itself behind the times - even with a rule that is implemented in high school the exact same year :confused:

American Legion rules specify that a pitcher must rest 1 day if he throws 1-45 pitches while the NCHSAA pitching rule stipulates that a pitcher doesn't need any rest (0 calendar days) if they throw 1-30 pitches. The NCHSAA rule goes on to say there is a required 1 day of rest for any pitcher that pitches in consecutive days. They note an exception for state championship series. I have not seen any modifications to this rule for American Legion baseball.

Taking the rule at its face value - to me - means that a kid could throw in 2 games in a day - as long as he doesn't exceed the pitch limit.

in 3 out 5 series , pitcher can only pitch in 3 out of 5 games , if he pitches in game 5, without a day off he well only be able pitch in 2 games in the next series ,

I think they should go to what high school says. I would also be happy if they leave the rule how it is for the regular season but come play offs if a kid throws 1-30 he doesn't need a day.

I think it hurts kids. Now Coaches might feel inclined to leave a kid out there for his full 45 pitches instead of just 30.

somebody has to keep up with pitches, if he pitches less than inning he should be aloud to pitch 2 days in arrow but not 3 . if he pitches more than a innings he needs a day off, starting cant pitch more 9 inning without 3 days off, need to do everything on innings not pitches

in the world series , the semi-final is a must won game and so is the championship game . pitcher want be able to pitch in both games ... need to go back to double elimination format

somebody has to keep up with pitches, if he pitches less than inning he should be aloud to pitch 2 days in arrow but not 3 . if he pitches more than a innings he needs a day off, starting cant pitch more 9 inning without 3 days off, need to do everything on innings not pitches
While I agree with most of what you have posted on the pitch counts and their effect on playoffs, regular season, etc. I don't believe innings is the answer. Some boys/young men can cruise through an inning in less than 15 pitches and then the next day could be over 30.

I do think they need to clean up some of the legion pitch count rule wording and 0 rest for under 30 pitches would be better as most throw more in bullpen session on their off days.

While I agree with most of what you have posted on the pitch counts and their effect on playoffs, regular season, etc. I don't believe innings is the answer. Some boys/young men can cruise through an inning in less than 15 pitches and then the next day could be over 30.

I do think they need to clean up some of the legion pitch count rule wording and 0 rest for under 30 pitches would be better as most throw more in bullpen session on their off days.
why not say a pitcher can though 45 pitches in 2 days. if a pitcher though 15 one day can he though 30 the next day, or if he though 32 one day he can though 13 the next day and then he would have to take the 3rd day off

in the playoffs you dont want to get in a situation were you dont have but 2 pitchers that can pitch on any given day . even with 3 pitchers you would be in trouble if you have to take the starter out early in the game . in the playoffs well need at least one day off between series. in the regular season teams are not going want to play 2 days in arrow . teams want schedule non league games after they start playing league games

Last edited:
Might as well stir the pot:

In Area III, may as well crown Rowan or Randolph. Not many teams have pitching or roster depth to go by this rule. There will be an occasional team that makes a run, but not a sustained run year after year.

one year our pitcher pitched 4 innings in game 6, 8 innings in game 7 , we more than likely would lost that series to Rowan co under pitch count rules
BASEBALLFAN1955 that is what led to the development of pitch counts.

In the situation you described above the pitcher was WAY overworked. At 15 pitches per inning (excellent by the way) that is 180 pitches in 2 games. At 20 per inning that is 240.

I grew up in a time where you pitched until the coach got tired of looking at you out there. However even the year my legion team finished 3rd in the state, we only played around 40 games. Many players play that in the fall season alone nowadays.

A lot of today's players are on teams year round and arms are not allowed to rest while they are dribbling a basketball or chasing a football carrier. Specialization in one sport has led to improved performance yes, but also no time for recovery.

Pitch counts is an attempt, I think, to help regulate this overuse because if left to some, not all, coaches this would never happen. Whether it works or not may not be known until hopefully some of these Legion pitchers make it to the next level.

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
BASEBALLFAN1955 that is what led to the development of pitch counts.

In the situation you described above the pitcher was WAY overworked. At 15 pitches per inning (excellent by the way) that is 180 pitches in 2 games. At 20 per inning that is 240.

I grew up in a time where you pitched until the coach got tired of looking at you out there. However even the year my legion team finished 3rd in the state, we only played around 40 games. Many players play that in the fall season alone nowadays.

A lot of today's players are on teams year round and arms are not allowed to rest while they are dribbling a basketball or chasing a football carrier. Specialization in one sport has led to improved performance yes, but also no time for recovery.

Pitch counts is an attempt, I think, to help regulate this overuse because if left to some, not all, coaches this would never happen. Whether it works or not may not be known until hopefully some of these Legion pitchers make it to the next level.
one year our pitcher pitched 4 innings in game 6, 8 innings in game 7 , we more than likely would lost that series to Rowan co under pitch count rules
we also hand a pitchers pitch 12 innings in one day, 36 batters , that is right perfect game loss the game in the 13th . with pitch count rule could he have pitched the 13 inning ?

we also hand a pitchers pitch 12 innings in one day, 36 batters , that is right perfect game loss the game in the 13th . with pitch count rule could he have pitched the 13 inning ?
Probably could not have pitched 13th inning. At 3 pitches minimum per 36 batters that is 108 pitches. And probably averaged more than 9 pitches per inning.

Not saying pitch counts are a perfect answer but I do believe they are better for young arms than an inning limit.

Change the rule from 1-30 don't have to rest and everyone will be happy. Jeeze even 1-20 and everyone will be happy. But the state can't do it! National rule. We can complain all we want they are not changing it

Change the rule from 1-30 don't have to rest and everyone will be happy. Jeeze even 1-20 and everyone will be happy. But the state can't do it! National rule. We can complain all we want they are not changing it
if a pitcher pitch 1 pitch today and cant pitches the next day, may want to see a doctor ,he has a arm problem

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT