ADVERTISEMENT

Pitch Count

Ultimately, it's a good thing (as long as the state is diligent in their enforcement of it). I don't think the NCHSAA has stated the "punishment" for violation of the policy (forfeiting of games? fines?). The NCHSAA was a little misleading in their tweet/statement saying "#NCHSAABOD votes to approve a baseball pitch count policy combining proposals by Baseball Coaches and Sports Med Committee 16-0." The resulting pitch count was completely the proposal of the Sports Med Committee, based on the USA baseball recommended pitch limits. The Baseball Coaches Association requested a max count of 120. In the long run, it will benefit deeper teams more by preventing schools from overusing their 1-2 best pitchers. I can see, long term, smaller 1A and 2A schools scheduling fewer games each year due to lack of pitching depth.

My guess of punishment would be that it would be treated like an ejection of the coach and a 2 games penalty...thats purely a guess.

The max pitch count really didn't matter to me. Last year, we had 1 kid throw over 105 pitches and it was the last batter of the game that he went over 105. I agree that it will effect the 1A and smaller 2A schools that lack pitching depth, but I guess that might also mean that you will have to create and make some pitching depth too. I want to know also, what happens if you and the coach you are playing against don't have the same count?

Here's is an article with some comparisons to other states. Follow up will be reactions from local coaches.
https://nrcolumbus.com/sports/pitch-count-rules-will-place-spring/
Some of the questions posed in the article from 3 weeks ago have since been answered by the state. The punishment for a pitcher going over the limit or using a pitcher without giving him the proper rest is $500 and a forfeit (if the team won the game). Some questions still are unanswered. Do coaches protest to umpires during games if a pitcher goes over limit or are complaints sent only to Chapel Hill only after a game is complete? I can see the big problem coming when teams disagree over tracking numbers, with one team having a pitcher under limit and one having a pitcher over limit. I wouldn't think there would be huge discrepancies - maybe a couple pitches over the course of a game. Inevitably, someone will have a situation with significant differences in numbers (say 10 pitches). I'm sure the NCHSAA is looking forward to these potential headaches.

And umpires I have spoken with don't think they will have anything to do with the counting of pitches or enforcement of punishments. So all will fall on NCHSAA.

I think there are a few coaches that will try to fudge numbers to their advantage and this could lead to some disagreements following games. Not saying all will but what if a coach forgets to click on a foul ball or marks twice in the book while Johnny is asking if he bats next inning?

Not disagreeing with pitch count just think this year is going to be interesting.

Hey may make more people stay until the end just for entertainment?

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
kidd...look forward to see you guys March 10th at East Forsyth
Me too. Last year's game was fun and important to ER because you guys are a quality team.

Also was probably my son's best game. Hope he can duplicate it this time around.

Thanks man. I may be sitting up on the level ground near concessions. Made a little trip in the middle of the night last week to Moses and they put couple stents in to open me up.

ER 2-2. Been hitting lately but boot around the baseball a little too much for my taste.

Not a bad baseball game huh?

Dang it was cold.
Me being the guy that stood next to your son every pitch while he was on defense, I was frustrated, but other than that, yes it was a good game. Not often do you see 2 complete games, both under 100 pitches and done in about an hour and a half. Good luck the rest of the season!

He talks too much huh? They ended up getting me down there to keep book. Wrapped up dude beside dugout. You have a fine team. I knew a few from jr legion. They let me coach that. Bad judgment I know. Good luck rest of the way.

How is pitch count rule effecting how you play the game. Any thing different than in the past?

Nothing different honestly...just making sure we are on the same page as far as pitches per inning. The game is still the same...I have seen some guys stay around the 60 pitch mark so they can throw again in 2 days, but other than that, its still baseball

Nothing different honestly...just making sure we are on the same page as far as pitches per inning. The game is still the same...I have seen some guys stay around the 60 pitch mark so they can throw again in 2 days, but other than that, its still baseball
Are you at a large school? I was wandering how it will be for the smaller schools that doesn't have 18-20 on a roster, maybe not even have a JV team. I think it will have an affect. More ridiculous scores?

The games I think it has the most effect on are the third ones in a week. Most 2A or smaller teams have 1 or 2 good starters and then guys who hopefully can buy some innings. In the case of ER they are kind of lucky in that so far they have done a good job of throwing strikes with the 6 guys they have used which has kept the pitch count down for the most part.

I think larger than 2A would have more pitchers to choose from thus the pitch count doesn't bother them as much.

However in one game this past week for ER against 3A Southern Alamance final was 15-14 with 6 pitchers used by both teams combined. Felt like a Legion game.

Being at a larger school does help. We don't carry 18-20 on our roster for either JV or Varsity, but it is to our advantage because of the larger pool of kids to choose from and we also work on creating pitching depth in case we have to dig a little deeper than our go to guys

Nothing to do with HS, but I think the Legion pitch count rule just drove another nail into legion baseball coffin.

Sportsnut17 not disagreeing with you exactly on the Legion situation. Think pitch count will have an effect in the way coaches choose teams. If a player pitches then I think the coaches will be more apt to keep them.
I do think position only players may drift to the "showcase" side a little more.
Seems to me a lot of the young men are tired of playing the whole weekend by the time they are Legion age though and actually prefer to play Legion ball.

Something about teenage girls has an effect too on this I think?

Legion really hamstrung coaches because as soon as you throw a pitch, you have a day of rest. I think they really need to go back and look at that, also they need to expand rosters if they are going to make you rest a pitcher for 1 day for throwing 1 pitch. Expanded rosters to at least 20, maybe max 25

Reactions: thekidd12
I agree wholeheartedly Eagles/Trojans13. Most guys will throw a bullpen if they are going to be off at least three days in the summer. They always throw more than 1 pitch.

Are we the only 3 baseball guys on here?

And may up the scores but many games in Senior legion been that way for a long time. I remember a game back in the day when Scott Bankhead took himself out in bottom of ninth ahead 10-1 against an ER team that had a cocky 3rd baseman. Final score ended up 11-10.
Played a lot of those high scoring games back in that summer of 82.

I could see coaches encouraging guys to try to throw more strikes, looking to pitch into contact instead of trying to paint the corners and go deep into counts...i've seen many power pitchers get over 76 pitches in 4 innings even with a bunch of strikeouts if they go deep into counts, definitely a system that favors teams with a bunch of good pitchers instead of one great pitcher and not much else

Friday night in our game with Eastern Randolph, both pitchers threw under 100 pitches and both threw complete games. Our guy threw 80 and ER's guy threw 92....I don't think you can ask a high school kid to try to throw many more strikes and create earlier contact. I promise you we're teaching pitch to contact because there was a combined 8K's between both teams. Combined 4 walks as well....both of those guys were in the zone all night.

Reactions: thekidd12
Yes sir. I coached the ER pitcher in fall league and we concentrated on getting pitch count down as low as possible. Fall league had a 3 inning limit for pitchers. He went from averaging a little over 20 pitches per inning to a little more than 14. Now this does not allow for the 60 pitch mark it seems most guys have a little trouble around before they get over that "hump".
Both pitchers did a great job of trusting their defense Friday which allowed the game to be both fast paced and interesting to an old guy like myself.

For those that would like to know the final score was 2-1 East Forsyth on a walk off single with 2 outs in bottom of 7th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT