ADVERTISEMENT

Page 57, NW Guilford 14

PagePirates44

Aug 15, 2004
Page showed they have yet another gear on offense. The defense played well overall, but wow #2 for NWG, Cameron Cloud is QUICK! It was emotional for both squads with the coaching change. This is the 3rd homecoming this year that Page has spoiled.

I've been a NW follower for years and what has happened to the NW program in the last 5 years is sickening! Jared Rolfes was handed a winning program in 2014 then destroyed it in less than 4 years and jumped ship. Flat out the dumbest hire in school history! As far as ruining a homecoming Page44 Jared did that back in 2014 when he took the job and destroyed our team and booster club. What's sad is our AD Hughes let him.

No way Cloud has a UVA offer. He is a good HS player but the kid is 5'7" and would be lucky if he ran a 4.7 40. Whoever is telling that lie needs to stop. The only player on NW with a big time offer is Turner.

I've been a NW follower for years and what has happened to the NW program in the last 5 years is sickening! Jared Rolfes was handed a winning program in 2014 then destroyed it in less than 4 years and jumped ship. Flat out the dumbest hire in school history! As far as ruining a homecoming Page44 Jared did that back in 2014 when he took the job and destroyed our team and booster club. What's sad is our AD Hughes let him.

From everything I heard mostly everyone at NW loved him and so did the players. Seems like the same NW that we've always known.. NWG has only had ONE 10+ win season in all of school history.. It's not like you guys went from title contenders to nobodies. By the way, he had 3 winning seasons out of 3 while he was there, sounds like it was still a "winning program" before he left... Look I understand you guys don't like him because he's a good coach and he left a not so good program.. yeah he left late and that sucks, but we didn't expect Gillespie to leave as late as he did, there was nothing we could do about it. Build a bridge..

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackKnightNut
As for the Page44 homer. You know nothing about NW Guilford so let me break it down for you because I've followed NW since the 80's. If you are looking at the history of the school overall then yes NW has been bad a lot more than good. In stepped coach Woodruff in 2007. When Woodruff was here he was slowly building an area contender. In 2008 Coach Woodruff took NW to the playoff for the 1st time in several years. In 2009 NW Guilford won 5 games but lost 4 games inside of a 7. The next year NW Guilford won 9 games its 1st conference title since the late 80's (Rusty LaRue QB) and beat a state power in Scotland County in the playoffs. In 2011 NW Guilford won another Conference title then went on to beat Richmond County at Richmond in the Playoffs. They played Page real tough in the 2nd round and just didn't have the Guns in the 3rd and 4th to handle James Summers running the ball. 2012 NW had what we all thought was our best team talent wise out of all of those and we went a disappointing 7-5 losing in the 1st rd to Indy 45-42. 2013 people thought NW would be way down and they went on to Win another Conference title (3 out of 4 years) also beat down East Forsyth in that Conf. Championship game. In the playoffs Woodruffs Vikings blasted your State Power Page and Richmond County in back to back weeks. We really thought we were the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state that year in 4AA but ran into the dominate Mallard Creek team who rolled us and went on to win the title. After that year we were returning over 3/4's of our starters and the best JV squad in the last 15 years. Things were looking as if we would take that next step and make the type of run East Forsyth or West Forsyth has made the last 4 or so years. Dominating the area then making deep 3rd/4th rd playoff runs.

Coach Woodruff ended up taking a job in his home state of Michigan in Spring of 2014. When it came down to hiring a new HC the 2 finalist from what I hear from well connected boosters were Tommy Pursley from NEG and Jared Rolfes OC NG. From what I hear Hughes went with Rolfes because he was younger plus Pursley was unsure at the time if he wanted to come out of retirement. Others have said it was because NW wanted to beat Roscoe so bad they went out and got their OC even though Pursley was better suited to handle the NW parents and fans. Rolfes came in saying he would be switching the offense to the spread (after almost a decade of Wing T) (1st dumb coaching move) but said that the defense did not need to be changed. Kind of like he has done at Page this year. He kept all of Woodruffs coaches except the OC who went back to Michigan with Woodruff. He changed his mind when Todd McComb applied and McComb fired a couple of the woodruff assistants right away because thats what college guys do and totally changed everything. he found out quick good HS Coaches don't come along like College guys. (Another huge mistake Rolfes/Hughes let happen) He then decided to bring in Ragsdale Asst. coaches in their places and got rid of more of the NW coaches that helped build the program or demote them to spots were they had zero say so in anything that went on. That year Rolfes took NW and struggled to win games against a really bad Smith team, and Western teams in the final seconds after Woodruffs teams were beating those schools by an average of 40+ points every year. They then were blown out by East Forsyth after Woodruffs Vikings were beating East or playing them close every year except 2011. The next couple years Rolfes cleaned house or ran off coaches with his Ego which is fine and brought in his own guys. He had that right being the new HC. Instead of competing with teams like East Forsyth now we were getting 60 points hung on us by them.

Yes Rolfes vikings had winning records but against quality teams they got killed. The excuses were they didn't have talent to play with those teams in the paper. BTW, Rolfes had the biggest recruits in school history in Hennigan and Turner and if what you're saying Cloud too. If I recall Woodruffs Vikings were beating those local powers without any D-1 Players. Woodruffs teams not only beat teams like Page, East, Scotland, Richmond but they would play them close too within a couple scores on down years. After Rolfes had fired all of Woodruffs coaches or ran them off. He also dismantled the booster club because he thought he was above going through a board of directors or the people who donated money to the school. Rolfes then decided to jump ship for Page and left NW with only a handful of coaches 3 weeks in to Summer workouts. So when we talk about how great NW Page Fan... it's not that we were winning Rings but we were winning Conference titles over teams that are beating us now by 50-60 points. Before Rolfes when Woody was here atleast you could go watch a good football game at NWG on a Friday Night. We also had good committed coaches (not that we dont now but we only have maybe 2 back then we had maybe 10) Rolfes was suppose to come in and take a program that was on the way up and take it to the next level. He instead totally destroyed the program back to what it was in 2006. Coach Wallace will take 5+ years to rebuild the mess the Rolfes left if he can at all. So with all that said its not that most (other than a few kids) don't like Rolfes cause he left. Heck most didn't like him when he was here because he destroyed what little success we had and jumped to Page. Like I said I don't just blame him. I blame Hughes for letting it happen too. Like many said NW should be a better Football school. If you go back to 2010-2013 we were headed that way. Sad to see how far he took the program down. You can say what you want but from what I've seen 1st hand he's an average coach at best. This year he just has Coach G's really good players. You see how bad the offense is under Rolfes. The Defense is good because he doesn't have anything to do with it.

It looks like Woodruff likes to jump around to different schools, he left NWG to coach at one school, and now this year he is at a different school and hes coached at 7 different schools in 3 different states.... Part of the blame can be placed on him for jumping ship while things were looking up. The other part of the blame should be placed on the AD.. at the time he hired a very young coach with little HCing experience that was fueled on weakening a rival.. Also, if it was between him and someone who was retired.. yikes.

But ask yourself, Was the job done? Are we content with just winning some conference championships and beating some schools with more football tradition than us while they are on a down year? If the answer if yes, then i feel sorry for you. But, that seems to be the case. The difference between East and West Forsyths runs and NWG is their coaches stayed and actually made a run, while yours ran off... blame woody for that. In 2012, Page was rebuilding after the state title and had a down year compared to the 2 years prior.. as for Richmond that year well 4 losses for them at the time was really a down year. The mark of success is.. to be the best, you have to beat the best, NWG didn't do it that year, and really never has. Good job you won a conference title..........

With regards to changing the offense and the asst coaching changes and what not, a young coach is going to have somewhat of a bumpy road especially at a school like NWG (that, clearly, has little backbone). It sounds like he was doing what he thought was right at the time, everyone knows that the wing-t doesn't really work on the 4aa championship level. Maybe he made a few mistakes with regards to some of the asst. changes, but hey guess what, no one is perfect. Place blame on the AD and boosters for letting some of these perceived bumps happen. Rolfes made some changes, and it didn't pay off, is that Rolfes fault? not really, you learn from the experience and move on. I'm willing to bet you those things don't happen at Page.

With regards to Rolfes and whats going on at Page right now. The offense isn't bad... when you have 2 starters in the backfield that played JVs last year, you are going to take some lumps early, when you add onto the fact that they did have to get acclimated to a new offense..
his offense didn't take off at NW because its all about personnel, if you have just 1 or 2 standout players, then you will get exposed.. and that is with any coach and any offense. But, when you get into an environment like Page has, where you have a 7-8 guys who can get it done on offense, things change for a coach. Rolfes has even shown flexibility where he let one of the other coaches make the play calls when things weren't going well on offense.

if the Page job doesnt open up, Rolfes is still at NWG and you guys are still supporting him.. but once hes gone, all of a sudden hes the devil, i'm not buying it.. just another case of sour grapes.

Bottom line, yall dont like him, and we do.. and we sure as heck aren't going to make any judgement on what he did at NWG.....

Last edited:
warhead, I won't get in a pissing match with you over this because I'm not a NW guy but have family that has been a big part of that school and program for a very long time, last name Gann should ring a bell. Regardless, I greatly respect the passion you have for NW but from an outsider can tell you that you have a skewed reality when it comes to the history of NW football. Have you guys won some games and upset a few good teams along the way? Sure you have. But to pretend that you have always been a perennial conference title threat and was on your way to be among the top 10 or even top 25 in the state is a bit of a stretch. To also pretend that Rolfes (who I don't know at all frankly) is the primary driver in "ruining the program" is just not realistic. Also, Coach Woodruff is a good guy, don't get me wrong, but he benefitted greatly from the population boom in the district. It's no coincidence that his success started when the housing boom in NW district took place. NW has a solid pool of students, but they don't have a neighborhood or area that will kick off consistent football talent year in and year out. Because of this, There will be runs of 5-7 years where they field good teams and runs of equal length that are mediocre or somewhere in between. Also, talent is starting to move back towards Northern Guilford. That hasn't helped NW in the past few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT