ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon Tempo

Coach McGill

May 10, 2009
It works great in college with 8 officials, in high school we limited spread guys. When we go fast officials slow us down. Anybody else have these issues?

I still think Oregon would have won if they had been wearing those cool green uniforms.

It's a matter of numbers (officials) and rules when you compare hurry-up offenses in college vs. high school.

In NCAA, you have seven or eight officials, and ball boys who are old enough to know what they are doing. They are able to switch balls in and out and get the ball spotted quickly.

In HS, you only have five officials, and the ball boys often are kids with the attention span of a piece of linoleum. Trying to switch the ball in and out is often an adventure, so spotting is sometimes delayed while a ball is being secured.

In NCAA, teams get 40 seconds from the end of the previous play to snap the ball (unless there is a penalty, etc.), so as soon as the team can get up over the spotted ball, they can snap it unless an offensive substitution occurs.

In HS, the ball is not to be whistled ready for play until after it is spotted and the white hat has confirmed the down and that the rest of the officiating crew is ready to go.

In other words, NCAA rules and game management are a little more 'user friendly' for fast-tempo offenses.

Trying to switch the ball in and out is often an adventure, so spotting is sometimes delayed while a ball is being secured.

The ball does not need to be switched out on every play. Only in wet games does this have to occur.

Last year when we were trying to snap the ball in 15 seconds or less, we literally had an official put his foot on the ball to keep us from lining up. Often officials were in a position to mark the ball ready for play, but still held us from snapping the ball, affording the defense a chance to rest or even adjust, nullifying the effect of our tempo.

I have seen many occasions where this hurry hurry offense made more mistakes trying to play this type of game. Plus the fact that the defenses have pretty well adapted to these hurry hurry offenses.

Byrnes (SC) was the first team in high school football that I saw that really got the next play off fairly quick without a huddle. This season Allen Texas ran the no huddle wide open style the best I have seen in high school. Probably the best offense I have seen on the prep level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT