ADVERTISEMENT

One sided Championship Saturday

The West dominated the East in every championship game
there is no west and east anymore, the brackets are strowed out all over the state in the split classifications. I do hope we go to 5 classes, no splits, and the geographic areas are more clearly defined.

there is no west and east anymore, the brackets are strowed out all over the state in the split classifications. I do hope we go to 5 classes, no splits, and the geographic areas are more clearly defined.

After conversations with a lot of coaches and school administrators this weekend I feel confident that if five or six classes is implemented the football playoffs will increase to ten champions. At that point most likely I will end my streak of 33 years of attending the title games will come to an end.

After conversations with a lot of coaches and school administrators this weekend I feel confident that if five or six classes is implemented the football playoffs will increase to ten champions. At that point most likely I will end my streak of 33 years of attending the title games will come to an end.
I won't even follow them, a championship means nothing when there's 10

Reactions: Tiger_Pride31

Might be the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Heard from a local AD this is what's coming....he may have even said they've already voted on it but I can't remember....he saidit's definitely coming...
1A
2A subdivided
3A subdivided
4A subdivided
5A

So there will still be 8 championships.

Heard from a local AD this is what's coming....he may have even said they've already voted on it but I can't remember....he saidit's definitely coming...
1A
2A subdivided
3A subdivided
4A subdivided
5A

No vote until the spring on whether they can do more than four which is the first requirement. Once that is approved they would need to move forward to finalize by early 2021. I think they will need to show various options to get schools to agree to allow them to explore more than four classifications.

The potential classification above it one that has made the rounds placing 12.5% (48) of the football schools in 1A and 5A with 25% (96) in 2A-4A.

Another one is six classes consisting of 10% (38) in 1A and 6A and 20% (76) in the other four classifications. I think this one would get more support from the schools but I was told by more than one head football coach that they would not support reducing the playoff qualifiers or champions and that the differential in enrollments in 2A-5A would be too severe to not subdivide those classes for football.

Many think it should stay the same as it is. Others think it should be four classes with 25% of the schools evenly placed. Some like five classes with 20% evenly placed. It is all over the place at this point.

If I were the "traditional" 1A schools I would want something done with the charters, magnets, open enrollment schools, systems that allow non residency change transfers, and small Parochials. Alignment is for all sports although we focus on football here.

Reactions: beamer24
No vote until the spring on whether they can do more than four which is the first requirement. Once that is approved they would need to move forward to finalize by early 2021. I think they will need to show various options to get schools to agree to allow them to explore more than four classifications.

The potential classification above it one that has made the rounds placing 12.5% (48) of the football schools in 1A and 5A with 25% (96) in 2A-4A.

Another one is six classes consisting of 10% (38) in 1A and 6A and 20% (76) in the other four classifications. I think this one would get more support from the schools but I was told by more than one head football coach that they would not support reducing the playoff qualifiers or champions and that the differential in enrollments in 2A-5A would be too severe to not subdivide those classes for football.

Many think it should stay the same as it is. Others think it should be four classes with 25% of the schools evenly placed. Some like five classes with 20% evenly placed. It is all over the place at this point.

If I were the "traditional" 1A schools I would want something done with the charters, magnets, open enrollment schools, systems that allow non residency change transfers, and small Parochials. Alignment is for all sports although we focus on football here.
Great explanation. Thanks.

Reactions: btango
15% 1A and 6A, 17.5% 2A-5A with no splits would be my choice. That way you keep the smallest of the small and the biggest of the big together.

Do we really think the NCH$AA is gonna go for less championship games/brackets? Less games means less $$$. According to the AD I talked to it was pretty much a done deal for what I listed above. It has become so watered down I can understand your utter disappointment "b" if they do go to 10 championships. How fortunate we were during the era of a unified Association with no subdivisions.....only 4 state championships...eventually all at the same venue (instead of flopping east and west home team hosts) and you could watch all of them in person if you wanted to.

I agree with the 1A with charters, et al. That is outta control. Need to reign that in somehow.

The crazy thing is there is such a huge spread amongst 4A schools from the top to the lowest. Look at Myers Park 3688 students meaning about 1800 boys to make a football team from. Butler on the low end with 2084 or about 1000 boys to make a team from. How is that really fair? Myers Park basically has Butler plus an extra 3A high school to make a team from. They should absolutely crush any and every one they play. Not really sure how to level the playing field there. I guess you could do a Big 16 like South Carolina did? But you are still gonna have a huge enrollment difference from the biggest to the smallest.

Do we really think the NCH$AA is gonna go for less championship games/brackets? Less games means less $$$. According to the AD I talked to it was pretty much a done deal for what I listed above. It has become so watered down I can understand your utter disappointment "b" if they do go to 10 championships. How fortunate we were during the era of a unified Association with no subdivisions.....only 4 state championships...eventually all at the same venue (instead of flopping east and west home team hosts) and you could watch all of them in person if you wanted to.

I agree with the 1A with charters, et al. That is outta control. Need to reign that in somehow.

The crazy thing is there is such a huge spread amongst 4A schools from the top to the lowest. Look at Myers Park 3688 students meaning about 1800 boys to make a football team from. Butler on the low end with 2084 or about 1000 boys to make a team from. How is that really fair? Myers Park basically has Butler plus an extra 3A high school to make a team from. They should absolutely crush any and every one they play. Not really sure how to level the playing field there. I guess you could do a Big 16 like South Carolina did? But you are still gonna have a huge enrollment difference from the biggest to the smallest.
Not a true statement. The NCHSAA wants less champions, the school's(admin,coaches ,,ad) DO NOT want less championships.

Reactions: btango
Not a true statement. The NCHSAA wants less champions, the school's(admin,coaches ,,ad) DO NOT want less championships.

You are correct. The NCHSAA admin would prefer less teams be in the playoffs and a few less champions. They would like to see the season end at least one week earlier due to weather concerns but it would also be beneficial for winter sports.

It is far from a done deal. As I wrote there are ideas all over the place and right now I would expect it to remain at four unless the NCHSAA can show some very impressive options. If they leave four I would think the five classes although the six is gaining some momentum.

Other than the 1A sports issue (non traditional domination for the most part) the non football playoffs have been very competitive and that is the one item that the NCHSAA is concerned about. Remember, for the 2013 realignment the schools were presented options to include three classifications subdividing all team sports to six champions, five classifications with no set amount of teams at the time, and four classes with even number of teams and unbalanced. Also, a football only alignment was pushed at the time by then director, Davis Whitfield. The non football would have remained at four most likely. Football was going to be a blank canvas. Schools thought that was too complicated, would hurt rivalries, and hurt overall attendance at games.

15% 1A and 6A, 17.5% 2A-5A with no splits would be my choice. That way you keep the smallest of the small and the biggest of the big together.

Has not been in the discussions of anyone I know of. The whole idea is to try and get 1A and the largest classification as small as possible to offset the divide among the largest schools in 5A and the smallest in 1A.

The ADM differential between the schools in 1A and 6A climbs too high. That is only 22 schools less than currently in 4A and 16 less than currently in 1A. Go ahead and get twelve football trophies ready.

I have wondered if geography may make 1A and 4A have the most schools and subdivide them for all team sports resulting in six champions. That would tighten the ADM numbers in 2A and 3A to even that playing field. With 1A and 4A schools being isolated in some areas it may help with conferences. There would be complaints but with the number of teams that would make the playoffs may be that argument could be overcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Lost Password

Do you think if they made any changes dealing with 1A non-traditional school's, would they argue that the same rules should apply to the higher classification non-traditional school's? In this scenario, it's the open enrollment school systems/ no residency change transfers school's I am thinking about.

The last time you told us something was a done deal from the NCHSAA you made it up and got banned from here.

1A
2A subdivided
3A subdivided
4A subdivided
5A

Since we already have 8, I could live with this. If it eliminates teams that are 2-9 or 3 and 8 in the playoffs at 1A level, I definitely could live with it.

The last time you told us something was a done deal from the NCHSAA you made it up and got banned from here.

Easy there Blue and Gold, 98Champion has made a comeback as theTruedynasty and its kind of a semi-secret. Wouldn't want to no longer have the pleasure of reading his "learned" posts again.

After all, he is still suffering from having to watch Reidsville win yet another state championship.;)

Easy there Blue and Gold, 98Champion has made a comeback as theTruedynasty and its kind of a semi-secret. Wouldn't want to no longer have the pleasure of reading his "learned" posts again.

After all, he is still suffering from having to watch Reidsville win yet another state championship.;)
Trust me he is not semi-secret

Lets just be honest. The only reason any " local AD" tells you anything is to get you to go away.

As I have said before my kids go to Crest High and middle. My smoking hot wife went there too. My oldest wrestles for Crest. Last Tuesday he had a home match. Jeff Melton, the AD for Crest, is always there at home matches as was the assistant wrestling coach and head football coach Nick Eddins. Nick actually shared with me the day Tim Ruff got an offer from UNC Charlotte. I talk to Eddins way more than Shelby's Wilbanks as I see Nick at all the wrestling matches. Btw, Jeff and Nick are both phenomenal guys. I hope they are at Crest for many, many years. Jeff was the one that told me last week about the new classifications. He said it was all but done. btango is a very knowledgeable guy, but I'm going to believe a current AD over him. If you wanted a source all you had to do is ask.

Youngest boy just made the Crest middle bball team as a 7th grader. We are petty stoked. He is a baller!

If you want more credentials I'll happily give them. Still waiting to hear what btango's are.

As I have said before my kids go to Crest High and middle. My smoking hot wife went there too. My oldest wrestles for Crest. Last Tuesday he had a home match. Jeff Melton, the AD for Crest, is always there at home matches as was the assistant wrestling coach and head football coach Nick Eddins. Nick actually shared with me the day Tim Ruff got an offer from UNC Charlotte. I talk to Eddins way more than Shelby's Wilbanks as I see Nick at all the wrestling matches. Btw, Jeff and Nick are both phenomenal guys. I hope they are at Crest for many, many years. Jeff was the one that told me last week about the new classifications. He said it was all but done. btango is a very knowledgeable guy, but I'm going to believe a current AD over him. If you wanted a source all you had to do is ask.

Youngest boy just made the Crest middle bball team as a 7th grader. We are petty stoked. He is a baller!

If you want more credentials I'll happily give them. Still waiting to hear what btango's are.

Was he the same source that told you your last lie??

Do you think if they made any changes dealing with 1A non-traditional school's, would they argue that the same rules should apply to the higher classification non-traditional school's? In this scenario, it's the open enrollment school systems/ no residency change transfers school's I am thinking about.

The difference is much more severe with smaller schools where one really string player can make a much bigger impact.

I think the Parochials should play up a class. The 3A schools in Catholic’s conference want them to stay. Few other changes I would like to see implemented.

There are new transfer rules the NCHSAA enacted two years ago.

What big school systems do you see as an issue specifically?

The difference is much more severe with smaller schools where one really string player can make a much bigger impact.

I think the Parochials should play up a class. The 3A schools in Catholic’s conference want them to stay. Few other changes I would like to see implemented.

There are new transfer rules the NCHSAA enacted two years ago.

What big school systems do you see as an issue specifically?
I don't personally see transfers as an issue at all. I think you go where you think is best for your kid if it's done by the rules. Not that it is a big school system ,but Cleveland county is an open school system and any student can go to any school in the county they want to without being in the designated home zone. Do you think if they made any rules for 1A non-traditional school's (ex. must play up a classification if you don't have set boundaries for school) ,that they could say those rules should apply to the Cleveland county schools or any other open school system, should also play up 1 classification?

I have no idea where btango gets the information he posts. Nor do I care. But I’ve been on this site long enough to have a lot of respect for his knowledge and the objectivity he displays. Trust has to be earned. He’s earned it with me.

Smoking hot wife??? Prove it!!! That statement is useless without pictures. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT