ADVERTISEMENT

2A One of Reidsville's best seasons ever

TGT

Sep 18, 2001
Outstanding 26-3 record ... losing in elite 8 of state to a great (undefeated) South Granville team by 3 points. I think this was tied for third most wins in Ram basketball history.

These are the greatest seasons in Reidsville Rams history:

1993-94 -- Coach Ron Parson's undefeated 30-0 state championship team. Won 3A State title over Winston-Salem Parkland. Line-up featured superstars C.C. Harrison and Curtis Pass with several other great players including future NFL wide receiver Na Brown.

1972-73 -- undefeated 25-0 in the 4-A Class. This team, coached by Hoy Isaacs, featured Melvin Watkins, Armenous Adams, Charlie Wilkerson, Leon Richardson and Gerald Courts.

2002-03 - state 2-A champs finished 23-4 after several tough battles with an outstanding Cummings team. Scored 115 points in a first round win over West Iredell and crushed West Columbus 86-60 in state championship mismatch. Coach Parson's team went 11 deep led by Maurice Hooper, Jerome Simpson, Anthony Crews, Clint Blackburn ... somebody can fill in the other 7. They played 5, subbed in 5 with no drop-off in talent.

1979-80 - finished 29-3 ...

1976-77 - 25-4 .. I'm thinking this is the year the Rams lost one of their key players (Greg Hopkins) in a practice and then ran into Gastonia's James Worthy in the state semifinals. Rams had Tim Martin and Anthony Wilson. Huss high, featuring Sleepy Floyd, beat Ashbrook and Worthy 60-59 for the state 4-A title in game played at Greensboro Grimsley.

2011-12 - 26-4, Bill Walton's team reached regional final but lost to Kinston 71-61. That Kinston team had a freshman named Brandon Ingram, who was not a starter.

Other 25-win seasons:
1980-81
- 25-3
1994-95 - 25-4

My records (and memory) are a bit sketchy about who the players were on some of these great teams. Robert Doggett and Damon Watlington had to be on some of them.

I don't have the final record of the 1969-70 first Ram edition but that was a great team that featured Carl Bell.

Reactions: TheMule
Congratulations to Reidsville on a great year!!!!!! Hopefully many more. Reidsville is always loaded with athletes. When I was at Forest Hills we were not very good in basketball. Glad we have turned our program around and into a winner. Just hope we can get our football program back to where it was and even better with our new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT