ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Lets Hear It ! !

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
Most everyone knows who will return for football at your school and conference so let's hear some opinions of who you think the early predictions of the top 10 1A schools will be. Everyone can post their own top 10 opinion just to see who comes the closest to NCPrep,MaxPreps or other predictions that come later. If you can't pick an overall top 10 1A then post the order you think your conference be it 1A or 1A/2A split by its name as saying the NWC, SMC, WHC, etc. This is just to give everyone an idea of what is coming from the conferences East & West. I know it's early but something to have fun and talk about. So, who will be the brave one to kick this off with the West top 10 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavrick69
NWC
  1. East Surry
  2. Mount Airy
  3. Bishop
  4. South Stokes
  5. North Stokes
  6. WSPrep
Anyone see it different ? I can see 1 or 2 other scenarios ..

Last edited:
Western Highlands...1Mountain Heritage...2Mitchell....3Polk...4Owen...5Avery....6Madison..the reality is Mt Heritage and Mitchell either one could win our conference I've heard some loyal Mitchell fans say that they believe this coming season may produce there best team plus Mt Heritage may be down a little but I through the same thing last year Owen may be the sleeper team this year I heard they got the Gibbs kid back that played for Owen then tranfered to Christ School last year so I could easily see Owen finishing 3rd Polk should be decent and as long as Coach Ollis is at the helm they can be dangerous now for Avery and Madison I don't have one clue but I do look for at least Avery to be inproved it all depends on if they can get more kids out to play...

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Smc, I think #1 team will either be Robbinsville or Murphy. I think Swain will hold onto #3. Andrew's might move up to 4th or 3rd depending on injury's. I think from 5th down could go either way. I love football season, can't wait to see all teams play. Hope everyone has huge turnouts for Spring practices and good luck to all 2019 teams.

NWC
  1. East Surry
  2. Mount Airy
  3. Bishop
  4. South Stokes
  5. North Stokes
  6. WSPrep
Anyone see it different ? I can see 1 or 2 other scenarios ..

NWC 3rd place and down's gonna be hard to figure. Each school has a ton of ? marks to overcome it's not gonna be easy to pick.

Bishop had the best year last year but they lost a ton of seniors and are in the middle of an HC swap. Gonna be quite young with not many returning players; it will be a challenge for Jones but he's used to it. WS Prep the same; Max Preps has them with 26 potential kids which is a solid # but there aren't many seniors so they will have a young team. South loses several seniors but will be sophomore heavy. They folded the JV's last year so they need to get the #'s up.

Team that sticks out to me is surprisingly North Stokes. They didn't lose that many kids from last year (less than 10 seniors,) and will have close to 20 seniors this year. That type of leadership is important to a team especially one who needs a competitive year. Add to it the freshman class of last year who played very well and won some games and played everyone hard; they may be the X factor. They gotta stay healthy and get a few more bodies out but Sessoms can do it. He's changing his offense up too which can better suit them.

Right now East is #1 and MA #2 in my eyes.

SMC is going to be deep this upcoming season, with parity that it hasn't had in several years. My prediction:

1. My Black Knights: Returning the best tandem of backs in the conference is a great place to start, plus the young lines are a year older and stronger. Could really be a special tem barring injury
2. Swain County: This is their year to show what they have. Sain will be Junior, but is coming off a knee injury from wrestling. Will this have effect on his quickness in the open field? Their lines will be massive with several seniors.
3. Murphy: How will their Sophomore quarterback play? Who replaces the back positions? Lines should be solid and experienced. I'm sure Gentry will figure it all out.
4. Hayesville: This team was decimated by injuries last year. They have lots of young talent and new, young leadership.
5. Andrews: Another team with a lot of young talent, but their lack of depth is a concern. Also, I'm not sure that they have a QB to run the veer.
6. Rosman: They lost some key players last year, most notably at QB, but they will be competitive. Not many wins next season, but building blocks for the next two seasons.
7. Cherokee: The beginning of a long drought of talent after the best run of talent in decades. Without some major additions that I don't know about, Cherokee will dwell in the cellar of the conference for at least 3 or 4 years.

Should be an exciting year. Looking forward to spring ball to see everyone's numbers. Go Knights!!!!!!!

Murphy isn't going to finish 3rd in the SMC unless they get hit by injuries and some kids don't come out this year that should.

Murphy will probably have the best o-line in 1A/1AA and they will have the best d-line in the conference. The skill positions will at minimum be solid with Murray, Dorsey, Rumfelt, McCracken, Rathburn, Wood and Laney. A lot more than solid if a couple kids play this year and 1 or 2 other things come to pass.

The conference will be more competitive at the top this year (bottom of the conference will be weak as usual) but Murphy could afford to lose some ground on Robbinsville and Swain because as we saw the gap was quite large last season.

Last edited:
Let's see more conference predictions. Need some from the East.
Also, complete the top 10 State Preseason poll below. Also, rearrange any out of place or remove any that you feel should not be there. Also, a baker's dozen would be interesting. I am sure some East teams I know nothing about other than Tarboro can be added.

Assumed Preseason Poll
  1. Posted 3/23 changes made Monday 3/25 .. Mount Airy added 4/2/19
    1. East Surry
    2. Murphy
    3. Tarboro
    4. ?
    5. Mitchell
    6. Robbinsville
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. Mount Airy
    10. ?

Last edited:
Mt airy may not poll high this season but by seasons end I think they will be in the hunt gaining experiance our jvs run the table last season 2020 look out

SMC is going to be deep this upcoming season, with parity that it hasn't had in several years. My prediction:

1. My Black Knights: Returning the best tandem of backs in the conference is a great place to start, plus the young lines are a year older and stronger. Could really be a special tem barring injury
2. Swain County: This is their year to show what they have. Sain will be Junior, but is coming off a knee injury from wrestling. Will this have effect on his quickness in the open field? Their lines will be massive with several seniors.
3. Murphy: How will their Sophomore quarterback play? Who replaces the back positions? Lines should be solid and experienced. I'm sure Gentry will figure it all out.
4. Hayesville: This team was decimated by injuries last year. They have lots of young talent and new, young leadership.
5. Andrews: Another team with a lot of young talent, but their lack of depth is a concern. Also, I'm not sure that they have a QB to run the veer.
6. Rosman: They lost some key players last year, most notably at QB, but they will be competitive. Not many wins next season, but building blocks for the next two seasons.
7. Cherokee: The beginning of a long drought of talent after the best run of talent in decades. Without some major additions that I don't know about, Cherokee will dwell in the cellar of the conference for at least 3 or 4 years.

Should be an exciting year. Looking forward to spring ball to see everyone's numbers. Go Knights!!!!!!!
Robbinsville will win their usual games but I don't see them winning the big ones . Robbinsville has NO quarterback.
Such a shame..Someone needs to be responsible for developing quartebacks at a young age . Maybe volunteer coach or retiree . Could have been the Knights year to be state champs.
Awesome Line. Awesome backs. Awesome Receivers.Awesome kicking. But Robbinsville needs a 1000 yd passer year in and year out because everyone knows what we are going to do in the running game.
Already an awesome coaching staff but with the addition of our new coach, probably top coaching staff in 1A-1AA along with Murphy.. The guy does nothing but win everywhere he goes. Several big time championships.

Last edited:
Maybe if the run game has become that predictable, your coaching staff isn't as good as you say.
Didn't say it was predictable..Everyone knows what Robbinsville does ..they are a power run team, and they do it well. Just saying they have to throw some passes to keep teams honest. Always have been..There are many power run teams in this state.I have learned that a team that can get 4 yds a carry is very good against the elite highly athletic teams in the state such as MIC and TJA.

Reactions: farmersonly
Robbinsville and Murphy battle for 1 and 2.
If we get the transfer i would pick us at 1st if not 2nd.

Reactions: farmersonly
Why is the East not chiming in? I see Tarboro has around 22 or 23 Seniors graduating this year. Do they deserve a #1 ranking again this year out of a final roster of 49 players, almost half there possible 2019 team as it shows now? I think I will change my assumed preseason poll. They can make their own if they don't agree or anyone can make changes.

1. East Surry
    2. Murphy
    3. Tarboro
    4. ?
    5. Mitchell
    6. Robbinsville
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. Mount Airy
    10. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyGod623
if the gosnells moved away from east surry why do you have them so high , especially above tarboro , 12 from east surry was the man and now he’s gone

Stephen and Benji are not at East Surry now, BUT may return. If they return, watch out! If they do not return, East still rules the conference. Their OL will be solid and three good receivers return, Smith, Stevens, and Mosley. Boaz will be better and Bullington and Speaks are good linebackers! And their JV was good as usual!

Not sure how this would work since their move was out of state, but would they be eligible for 2019-2020 of they came back?

They still own and have the house in Pilot Mountain. Their move would be legal if they came back. I would not be surprised one bit to see them back at East Surry next year, I think both kids are miserable where they are and the parents are starting to see it.

Robbinsville and Murphy battle for 1 and 2.
If we get the transfer i would pick us at 1st if not 2nd.
Home field will be big as always and luckily Murphy has it this year. I don't know who Robbinsville's transfer is but I hope they come, the more competition the better. If the transfer is a QB, a good one, things will be really interesting.

Like I said we'll see how a couple things shake out between now and this summer. Best of luck to everyone, wishing all teams good health as spring practice approaches.

Last edited:
The Dogs will have no problem winning it all again this year. We work harder than anybody else in 1A.

Reactions: Gps62
Why is the East not chiming in? I see Tarboro has around 22 or 23 Seniors graduating this year. Do they deserve a #1 ranking again this year out of a final roster of 49 players, almost half there possible 2019 team as it shows now? I think I will change my assumed preseason poll. They can make their own if they don't agree or anyone can make changes.

• East Surry
    • Murphy
    • Tarboro
    • ?
    • Mitchell
    • Robbinsville
    • ?
    • ?
    • ?
    • ?
Tarboro had back-to-back undefeated seasons. They won 1-AA by 40 last season. They did lose a lot of their offensive skill players, but Tarboro wins with defense and there are plenty of JV guys ready to step in at RB. I'm more geeked up that Tarboro opens against Rocky Mount this year. We had a series with the Gyphons when I was in school decades ago. I'm excited to see these teams play each other again. I don't think it matters where the Vikings are in some poll. Ask the voters who will play for the 1-AA state championship in 2019, the answer will be "Tarboro and..."

Home field will be big as always and luckily Murphy has it this year. I don't know who Robbinsville's transfer is but I hope they come, the more competition the better. If the transfer is a QB, a good one, things will be really interesting.

Like I said we'll see how a couple things shake out between now and this summer. It's not often you see a D1 player in the SMC and it's possible the 'Dogs will have two of them next season, Mugharbil and someone else, that's all I'm going to say on it...

Best of luck to everyone, wishing all teams good health this spring and summer.
Ok, I've waited long enough. Who is the other "possible D1 player" next season. You can't float a statement like that out there and then not give some info. I don't see any of the returning skill players, Murray/Dorsey/Rathburn, as having D1 skills. The lineman, Dallas Rayburn, is a man ... but undersized for D1.

Dang Murphy and Robbinsville getting transfers????
People speculate on players transferring to Murphy every offseason and 90% of the time nothing comes of it. Yes, it happens on occasion, but let's be real, Robbinsville has had just as many in conference transfers in football as Murphy over the last 10 years and they made a bigger impact than anyone Murphy has had during that time frame. I'm talking McCoy and Bradley specifically.

Last edited:
Still looking for some people to guesstimate The Preseason top 10. I started one and it is conjecture and any others will be also but it will be fun seeing many other guesstimations. Can't believe the East and other conferences are afraid to jump in with their 2 cents worth. Mine can be changed around and 5 ? marks for more East or West to be added or changed. It is early and this can be changed as we learn more as others post their opinion of their conference top to bottom. I am sure there are several out there that has a better top 10 than I have posted. Like I said this is just something to do in the offseason just for fun.I can't believe the East has been afraid to even participating so far.

1. East Surry
    2. Murphy
    3. Tarboro
    4. ?
    5. Mitchell
    6. Robbinsville
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. Mount Airy
    10. ?

Last edited:
People speculate on players transferring to Murphy every offseason and 90% of the time nothing comes of it. Yes it happens on occasion but let's be real, Robbinsville has had just as many in conference transfers in football as Murphy over the last 10 years and they made a bigger impact than anyone Murphy has had during that time frame, I'm talking McCoy and Bradley.
Oh I don't care about transfers just yanking Bk chain. We have kids transfer to Rosman away from Brevard and we have the opposite where we loose kids to Brevard. Some people go nuts about it. I personally think it's a decision between parents and kids and whatever will be the best fit and opportunity for that kid.

Reactions: mbdfan
Top Ten 1A:
1: Tarboro (They have to be #1 until someone proves different)
2: Mitchell (The QB and returning WR are going to be special to watch)
3: Robbinsville: (See my comments in earlier post)
4: East Surry
5: Swain County
6: Murphy
7: Pamlico
8: Mountain Island Charter
9: Thomas Jefferson
10: Polk County

I never said it was a returning player...

I'm not going to discuss it much more than that because it's something that hasn't happened yet and may not happen at all. But it is definitely more than just a rumor or I wouldn't have brought it up. Like I've been saying, we'll see how things play out between now and this summer.

And for the record, no, it has absolutely nothing to do with the any of the previously speculated stuff involving Murphy on here this offseason. i.e. the QB from Flowery Branch (not happening) or the in conference skill player transfer (could still happen).
The only other D1 potential player is McTaggert from Hayesville and 99% sure that he won’t go to Murphy!

Reactions: PantherPit07
The only other D1 potential player is McTaggert from Hayesville and 99% sure that he won’t go to Murphy!
It's not McTaggart, the kid I'm talking about isn't currently enrolled at any SMC school. I thought that was pretty self explanatory when I mentioned a possible D1 player, considering the only one in the conference with a D1 offer right now is Mugharbil. That in itself ruled out it being someone currently in the SMC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT