ADVERTISEMENT

Ok I understand about Murphy

Wrong dogtuff only conference winners went to the playoffs in the 70's we had to beat Swain and murphy just like the rest of the conference just to make the playoffs.
I thought it was a split conference in 70s early 80s ??

Wrong dogtuff only conference winners went to the playoffs in the 70's we had to beat Swain and murphy just like the rest of the conference just to make the playoffs.
This is incorrect, SMC was a split conference back then, 1A and 2A winner went to playoffs. Robbinsville did not have to beat Murphy, Sylva-Webster, Swain or Franklin to go to the playoffs.

In the 70's and up to the mid 80's Murphy was 2A...so how have they been "gaming" the system since then? But please dont let facts get in the way of your pathetic obsession
Well in the 80's they made a deal with the nchsaa claiming travel hardship when they found out they couldn't compete at that level. The deal was they could play in the 1a every other year all thou they were 2A. Now the latest scam is EC the delinquent school and getting all the football players from HD to come play. It's like I've said all along murphy is a 2A size school gaming the system so they can play 1a, they are good at it they have been doing it since the 70's

This is incorrect, SMC was a split conference back then, 1A and 2A winner went to playoffs. Robbinsville did not have to beat Murphy, Sylva-Webster, Swain or Franklin to go to the playoffs.
Oh but we did anyway, lol

Better check your facts. Murphy was a 1a school throughout the 80s and it wasn’t until the early 90s that they had to do the every other year thing. 1992 is the only year that I can recall of them having to sit out the playoffs. But if they really were whining and crying over it then I won’t argue with you. I’ll leave that part to the expert.
Wrong murphy was 2A in the 70's and 80's

Cool, Robbinsville did though. Just like they lost to Swain in '81 when they won 1A, lost to Franklin and Hayesville in '82 when they won 1A, lost to Andrews and Sylva Webster in '83 when they won 1A.

You bitch about Murphy being the big kid in the "kiddy pool" well that's exactly what Robbinsville was in the '70's and early 80's, so quit being a hypocrite.

Reactions: therealsquid
Well in the 80's they made a deal with the nchsaa claiming travel hardship when they found out they couldn't compete at that level. The deal was they could play in the 1a every other year all thou they were 2A. Now the latest scam is EC the delinquent school and getting all the football players from HD to come play. It's like I've said all along murphy is a 2A size school gaming the system so they can play 1a, they are good at it they have been doing it since the 70's

I think your tinfoil hat is on a little tight

In the early 1980's there were less than 25 schools (out of 35 total 1A schools) competing for the 1A football championship. The SMC alone had four schools not fielding a football team out of the nine members. For the 1985 alignment the classifications went to the 25% x 4 model. SMC had seven members all playing football. The Little SMC had five members with no football.

In the 1973 alignment SMC had twelve members with five playing football.

***Check me on my numbers but think that is very accurate.

Reactions: mbdfan
Yeah but got some big ones wrong.

10 kids attend the EC
Robbinsville kids go the EC.
Murphy counts Robbinsville kids that go to EC.

Yeah but got some big ones wrong.

10 kids attend the EC
Robbinsville kids go the EC.
Murphy counts Robbinsville kids that go to EC.
10 kids? That was the first class of the early college, it probably wasn't much more than that from Murphy because there wasn't more than 25 in the whole class.

I was wrong about Robbinsville having kids at the early college and Murphy having to count them in their enrollment though. That was around the time the early college first opened and it was an assumption, didn't know the ins and outs of the setup or how it worked then.

That was also 9 or 10 years ago lol, anything more recent? You've made assumptions yourself over the years, don't forget that.

Last edited:
Yes i have.

The EC has been around longer than 9 years i think. Its been 9 years since murphy stopped counting them.

2 before the consolidation
That sounds about right and Murphy has probably only got a couple over all the years from HD. HD as everyone knows is a basketball school and a tight community just like Stecoah & Mt View were in the day. No one from Murphy or Robbinsville ever got enough from those schools to amount to a hill of beans IMO

I can't believe all this bullshit talk with what's in store for all of us Friday night. The kids from both schools have played their hearts out to be in the big show and this is all we can talk about
I agree 100%, sad that the focus here isn't on the game at hand.

But you can thank a Cherokee fan for that. I guess he decided to stir the pot since his team is out of it.

Last edited:
I agree 100%, sad that the focus here isn't on the game at hand.

But you can thank a Cherokee fan for that. I guess he decided to stir the pot since his team is out of it.

This thread is Crap. Same old BS that has been going in for years.

Reactions: mbdfan
You are so full of crap! I’m just glad not all from Robbinsville are like you full of excuses why MHS is a power house ! When you all do beat us do Murphy fans get on here and try to find excuses why we got beat. NO! Why don’t you just talk about the up coming game between two great football programs !

You are so full of crap! I’m just glad not all from Robbinsville are like you full of excuses why MHS is a power house ! When you all do beat us do Murphy fans get on here and try to find excuses why we got beat. NO! Why don’t you just talk about the up coming game between two great football programs !
Amen to that both programs rich with tradition and possibly playing in one of the biggest games ever in the SMC. Can’t wait to be at the field and feel the intensity from both sides

In the 70s and maybe early 80s, but the 1986 and 1987 teams won the 1a state championship. So Murphy has been 1a since the mid 80s. That’s over 30 years being in 1a.
your right murphy has been 1a but they have had 2A numbers the whole time

Reactions: 1SWO1
Not one word of my post is untrue

Amen to that both programs rich with tradition and possibly playing in one of the biggest games ever in the SMC. Can’t wait to be at the field and feel the intensity from both sides
Has there ever been a bigger game? Very curious to know.

Murphy did make excuses for the record.
Cox
If you want to say that's an excuse fine, but if you don't think it made Murphy's team much weaker that year I dont know what to tell you.

Question, do you think Robbinsville would've won state in '92 if McCracken tore his ACL the first play of your third game? About the same level of impact.

2014 with the players on the field Robbinsville was better. 2015 no excuses, Robbinsville just flat out better. Is that satisfactory?

your right murphy has been 1a but they have had 2A numbers the whole time

They are at least 100 students short of 2A now. Even with their students in the early college and the alternative school they would not reach 2A numbers. How do you get they have 2A numbers?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT