ADVERTISEMENT

Observer Sweet 16

Blue and Gold22

Aug 17, 2013
Langston did an excellent job putting it together. Brought back some great memories. Wonder if some of the old timers have any thoughts?

A lot of great players did not make it. Forty years of stars is hard to whittle down. Big props to Langston on the series of articles!

There was one major miss to me, Trenton Simpson would have been on my team.

Instead of “athlete” I like a “utility” player option, a player that plays both sides of the ball and / or specialty teams. That could be a two way lineman just as much a two way skill player. Several of the selected players would have fit nicely into that slot including Simpson who was also a beast at running back. Myles Dorn would have been in the athlete position. Probably have Jordan Shipp at receiver.

It was a fun read. I agree on Trenton and also think Larenz Bryant from Vance could have easily been on it.

I think the missed two Butler kids. Would have had Riley Ferguson over Drake. Riley was better in HS.

Channing Stribling was also a miss. Way better than the Fields kid.. not even close. Hough had 3 or 4 Dbs during that time that were better on the field.

I love Jeremiah Hall but no way he was better than Jaylen Samuel's. You could argue JSams senior year was one of the best ever in NC

It was a fun read. I agree on Trenton and also think Larenz Bryant from Vance could have easily been on it.

I think the missed two Butler kids. Would have had Riley Ferguson over Drake. Riley was better in HS.

Channing Stribling was also a miss. Way better than the Fields kid.. not even close. Hough had 3 or 4 Dbs during that time that were better on the field.

I love Jeremiah Hall but no way he was better than Jaylen Samuel's. You could argue JSams senior year was one of the best ever in NC
Jay Samuels: Meck 8 Conference Player of the Year, State Championship MVP, All State 2012 & 2013, Mecklenburg County record holder 55 rushing TD's in a season.

If I were starting a team after the QB position, Samuels and Simpson would be right at the very top of my picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: nepsy7

Bryant and Stribling are two perfect utility players. Both sides of the ball plus specialty team abilities.

I agree on Riley Ferguson. He is my fifth qb due to no senior season for Drake. Until Drake I thought Riley had the most potential of any Meck County qb possibly any NC qb.

Samuel’s is another player that would qualify as a utility player. Big problem for defenses.

Bryant and Stribling are two perfect utility players. Both sides of the ball plus specialty team abilities.

I agree on Riley Ferguson. He is my fifth qb due to no senior season for Drake. Until Drake I thought Riley had the most potential of any Meck County qb possibly any NC qb.

Samuel’s is another player that would qualify as a utility player. Big problem for defenses.
What’s crazy about Samuels accomplishment his senior year. He shared the backfield with Lawrence Pittman, who rushed for over 2000 yards.

Agree with Jaylen Samuels. Not so much about Ferguson. Maye is a definite. Think College/PRO Career matter in these discussions. Maye will be a top 5 NFL pick. Ferguson was not nearly as good his SR year as his Jr. year.

Also the biggest omission IMHO was Wali Rainer (LB) of West Charlotte. Guy was an absolute monster. Great in college and a good NFL Player. As an LB no one in Char-Meck was better even when compared to Echols.

Trent Simpson may have been the most dominating HS player on both sides of the ball I've ever seen. Was over shadowed some by those talented teams but as an individual player overall he is one of teh best and should have made the team.

-Also big Fred Staton fan, but he was no way close to Daylan Hollywood Smothers. Hollywood should have been on the team regardless of Sr. season. Some guys dont get the stats but are better players. This is an example. Fred had 2 big years at Country Day and two good years at WC were they lost to RC and was upset as the #1 seed vs. Anson. Whereas Daylan won two state ships and was a runner up in the 2nd. Forget the persona Hollywood is just a flat out better player.

Lastly Langston as always over values private school players. Alvin Pearman, and Reggie Clark should be no where near these list.

-Final gripe. Brian Knuckles is the BEST HS RB in Meck County history period.

Otherwise GREAT list and articles.

Last edited:
Reactions: egfan and onioncfb
Agree with Jaylen Samuels. Not so much about Ferguson. Maye is a definite. Think College/PRO Career matter in these discussions. Maye will be a top 5 NFL pick. Ferguson was not nearly as good his SR year as his Jr. year.

Also the biggest omission IMHO was Wali Rainer (LB) of West Charlotte. Guy was an absolute monster. Great in college and a good NFL Player. As an LB no one in Char-Meck was better even when compared to Echols.

Trent Simpson may have been the most dominating HS player on both sides of the ball I've ever seen. Was over shadowed some by those talented teams but as an individual player overall he is one of teh best and should have made the team.

-Also big Fred Staton fan, but he was no way close to Daylan Hollywood Smothers. Hollywood should have been on the team regardless of Sr. season. Some guys dont get the stats but are better players. This is an example. Fred had 2 big years at Country Day and two good years at WC were they lost to RC and was upset as the #1 seed vs. Scotland. Whereas Daylan won two state ships and was a runner up in the 2nd. Forget the persona Hollywood is just a flat out better player.

Lastly Langston as always over values private school players. Alvin Pearman, and Reggie Clark should be no where near these list.

-Final gripe. Brian Knuckles is the BEST HS RB in Meck County history period.
Some very good ones.

I think recruiting was also used in this which makes me wonder why not Jayden Davis at QB but hard to select him over the others when taking into account the historical context of what a few did. If this list went back a couple of years Mark Maye is on it.

Ferguson injured his elbow which hurt his senior season stats as they went to more of a run based offense leading one of the historically stronger NC squads to his second state title. Hard to include Smothers but use the same criteria to not include Ferguson. Matkins senior season was not up to par of his junior season and he did not start on the 1995 state title team his sophomore year. His junior season was the best WC team in my opinion but lost by one at Richmond.

If pro career counts some of the private school players have did well. Regarding NFL career Mike Cofer, the kicker, may have had the best for that position.

Alvin Pearman was a stud. His brother was very good at Providence but did not have the size. He and Clark are probably more in the utility slot in my opinion and Pearman is listed as an athlete. There is always elite talent in the private schools. Clark was a big strong player with good wheels that was dominate in that league on both sides of the ball. Deserving but probably not at RB.

I agree with Knuckles! He was a phenomal player and got a raw deal at Nebraska. Staton and WC lost 21-20 to Anson at Memorial after a close one with Scotland the prior week. That is one TK would like to have back. Anson lost 17-0 to eventual state champ AC Reynolds the next week. Thought 1991, 1996, 1998, and 1999 were all state title seasons that hung in the balance on a play although 1999 would have put them against ACR, Richmond, and Byrd which both lost super close games to ACR.

Rainer is a fair add! I think some of his luster is lost with his brother and a few other players on that team getting a lot of accolades but he was the real deal, no doubt. Jovaughn Gwyn from Harding would have been a solid selection. Another one at linebacker would have been MP's Omar Gaither.

So many great players every season in Meck County and 40 seasons worth. Tough job to select.

Some very good ones.

I think recruiting was also used in this which makes me wonder why not Jayden Davis at QB but hard to select him over the others when taking into account the historical context of what a few did. If this list went back a couple of years Mark Maye is on it.

Ferguson injured his elbow which hurt his senior season stats as they went to more of a run based offense leading one of the historically stronger NC squads to his second state title. Hard to include Smothers but use the same criteria to not include Ferguson. Matkins senior season was not up to par of his junior season and he did not start on the 1995 state title team his sophomore year. His junior season was the best WC team in my opinion but lost by one at Richmond.

If pro career counts some of the private school players have did well. Regarding NFL career Mike Cofer, the kicker, may have had the best for that position.

Alvin Pearman was a stud. His brother was very good at Providence but did not have the size. He and Clark are probably more in the utility slot in my opinion and Pearman is listed as an athlete. There is always elite talent in the private schools. Clark was a big strong player with good wheels that was dominate in that league on both sides of the ball. Deserving but probably not at RB.

I agree with Knuckles! He was a phenomal player and got a raw deal at Nebraska. Staton and WC lost 21-20 to Anson at Memorial after a close one with Scotland the prior week. That is one TK would like to have back. Anson lost 17-0 to eventual state champ AC Reynolds the next week. Thought 1991, 1996, 1998, and 1999 were all state title seasons that hung in the balance on a play although 1999 would have put them against ACR, Richmond, and Byrd which both lost super close games to ACR.

Rainer is a fair add! I think some of his luster is lost with his brother and a few other players on that team getting a lot of accolades but he was the real deal, no doubt. Jovaughn Gwyn from Harding would have been a solid selection. Another one at linebacker would have been MP's Omar Gaither.

So many great players every season in Meck County and 40 seasons worth. Tough job to select.
I remember Alvin but especially Andrew Pearman. Andrew was one the fastest players I seen live in person. His Providence teams used to give Independence fits during the early years of the streak.

Reactions: btango
Some very good ones.

Yes you are correct. Meant Anson. They beat Scotland the week before. Fred Staton was good, but not top 5 good. Rod Chisolm or Dominique Lindsey were also better to me. Agree if Knotts could re-coach some of those WC games they would have 5 ships or so. Always came down to a few key plays or ego in not running the ball.

Once Coach Knotts got to Indy it was game over, as his coaching went to another level.

Debated Hollywood vs. Staton and its not close. Stats wise Smothers was super dominant. Then add in championships? It has to matter. When you get 2 ships, and one runner up vs. 3rd round, and 2nd round exits its not close.

Some guys are generational, and not duplicated. Some that I saw personally that were just next level.

Smothers
Knuckles,
Wali Rainer
Michael Waddell
Drake Maye
Q Crouch
Josh Ladowski
Colin Harris

Reactions: btango
Thought about Gwyn as well. On a side note I see Quavaris Crouch is now at JC Smith.
Been waiting to see where he would turn up. Used up his second transfer leaving Mich State but then the coach left so he should have been able to transfer. Not sure if the academics were where they needed to be to make the move to a D1 school. Hope he does well!

Reactions: bigdadd11103
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT