ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from the Shelby vs East Gaston Game

SHS LION

Jun 23, 2007
First off is our offensive line improving?Seems like EG was in our backfield a lot last night.Also LA I sure hope your son gets healthy as he seemed to be playing with a lot of pain last night.A big positive last night was the JV quarterback Bess who came in and did a great job as did Shell later in the game.I understand after starting the season with six very tough opponents and now three less talented teams it is tough to get up for sometimes.

Our defensive line is vastly improved since Big Phillip's injury. Just wanted to let you know since you're concerned.

I predict it will be a bit different playing each other the last game of the season compared to the first. No more kinks to iron out, no more excuses.

I expect a good game between the two, may go to it myself.

Reactions: seadog28
If it wasn’t senior night for Christopher, would be at that game in a heartbeat. Have never seen either of those teams play in person before, hoping to see one of them just to see how we stack up. To be the best, you have to play the best. Can’t beat em if you don’t play them.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I saw North Davidson play South Point in the first round of the 3A playoffs in 1991. Great defensive game that North Davidson won 13-7.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
First off is our offensive line improving?Seems like EG was in our backfield a lot last night.Also LA I sure hope your son gets healthy as he seemed to be playing with a lot of pain last night.A big positive last night was the JV quarterback Bess who came in and did a great job as did Shell later in the game.I understand after starting the season with six very tough opponents and now three less talented teams it is tough to get up for sometimes.

East Gaston doesn't have a lot to work with and very little to show for their work they put in, but even when they take a shellacking, they don't seem to quit.

Hollifield and Wilson... you can not dream of a better combination. Why would Hollifield want to go to VT and play Foster's redshirt game when he can go to UNC and make a major impact on day one?

Hollifield and Wilson... you can not dream of a better combination. Why would Hollifield want to go to VT and play Foster's redshirt game when he can go to UNC and make a major impact on day one?
Dax was there yesterday for his official and watched VT go for it a couple times on fourth down up by 50.Not what he is used too.

Reactions: seadog28

If EG did that, then South Point might eat your offensive line alive. Might be a long night for your offense, similar to all your 3A/4A games.

As a State fan, had hoped Wilson was going to flip away from UNC. Rumors floated around for a few weeks but looks like that ship has sailed. Don’t know him or Hollifield (other than watching highlights), but have to agree with whoever posted above that the two of them together could be quite an imposing pair. With the way UNC has played this year, they will see the field early and often.

He'd go there for a lot of good reasons, but #1 is that he'd win!

Serious question for the Shelby or South Point Guys, You have both played RS and EG, who is worse? Wondering if it's worth my time to drive all the way to RS Friday night? EG is my team and if we have a chance, I'll be there. As much as it pains me to say, a actually thought we were worse than North Gaston and Chase (but we won both of those games).

Serious question for the Shelby or South Point Guys, You have both played RS and EG, who is worse? Wondering if it's worth my time to drive all the way to RS Friday night? EG is my team and if we have a chance, I'll be there. As much as it pains me to say, a actually thought we were worse than North Gaston and Chase (but we won both of those games).
RS definitely.

If you wanr to see an EG win, make the trip.

I haven't seen any games, but based on what little I know from listening to the SP games and some input on the boards, I would think R-S Central is worse than East Gaston. CalPreps has R-S ranked at 72 and EG at 79 - virtually a toss-up. Good luck what ever you decide.

The way we have been playing we lose the EG game. Terrible just terrible offense can not move the ball and defense can't stop a bloody nose with 15 paper towels. The defense was kinda ok but the offense could at least move the ball but with both running backs out the O is dead. Dead I say don't know what else to say but we pretty sad just look for next year to be better I hope. Gotta cross out this year and build on it and hope that all these a$$ beating have pissed enough kids off to work harder ( I know my sons learned that he has to be a lot bigger next year :) )

The way we have been playing we lose the EG game. Terrible just terrible offense can not move the ball and defense can't stop a bloody nose with 15 paper towels. The defense was kinda ok but the offense could at least move the ball but with both running backs out the O is dead. Dead I say don't know what else to say but we pretty sad just look for next year to be better I hope. Gotta cross out this year and build on it and hope that all these a$$ beating have pissed enough kids off to work harder ( I know my sons learned that he has to be a lot bigger next year :) )
It’s interesting what happened to you guys over the years, this current group of Hilltoppers were supposed to be RS’ best team ever, and competitive against anyone. I remember this group being the only team able tonplay Shelby a competitive game in middle school. They were good, and extreme talented, athletic. You smoked everyone, including all of Cleveland County, with the exception of Shelby. We beat you once in the regular season, then in the championship.

You had a young man playing quarterback at that time, he was already 6’2 then, with a rocket arm, and could run like a deer. As you already definitely know, the young man severed part of a finger in a freak accident while fishing. He gave up football, and now stands as a 6’4 freakish athlete who now stars in baseball and basketball at East Rutherford. That young man was destined to be one of the nation’s top quarterbacks, and he headlined a very talented group that was destined to have RS a heck of a team. Just goes to show that you can’t always go by middle school success. That young man gave up football, but what happened to all of that talent that came up along w/ him? There was so much promise in that group.

Just like St Stephens from Hickory their middle schools wins everything but can't do nothing in HS.

Last edited:
Sounds like us....we also have lost a bunch of guys to injuries, including our #1 RB in game 2. We didn't have any depth to begin with. We don't have much team speed either, outside of a couple of guys.

Sounds like us....we also have lost a bunch of guys to injuries, including our #1 RB in game 2. We didn't have any depth to begin with. We don't have much team speed either, outside of a couple of guys.

Seems to me that those Lions had some trouble in Mt Holly. Maybe I'm wrong? No, no, no, that can't be.

It’s interesting what happened to you guys over the years, this current group of Hilltoppers were supposed to be RS’ best team ever, and competitive against anyone. I remember this group being the only team able tonplay Shelby a competitive game in middle school. They were good, and extreme talented, athletic. You smoked everyone, including all of Cleveland County, with the exception of Shelby. We beat you once in the regular season, then in the championship.

You had a young man playing quarterback at that time, he was already 6’2 then, with a rocket arm, and could run like a deer. As you already definitely know, the young man severed part of a finger in a freak accident while fishing. He gave up football, and now stands as a 6’4 freakish athlete who now stars in baseball and basketball at East Rutherford. That young man was destined to be one of the nation’s top quarterbacks, and he headlined a very talented group that was destined to have RS a heck of a team. Just goes to show that you can’t always go by middle school success. That young man gave up football, but what happened to all of that talent that came up along w/ him? There was so much promise in that group.

Why is LA talking about RS? Didn't they underperform against EG this Friday?

Why is LA talking about RS? Didn't they underperform against EG this Friday?

Under perform?

51-6 Yeah thats under performing.... Backup QB 9-10 passing for two tds, yes under performing.... Brooks 3 tds in limited action... Yes under performed

Bless old Seadog he is so terrified of what is coming he continually is grasping at the proverbial straws of just how they beat Shelby this season...
Truth be told, he prays #12 doesnt play on Nov 3rd.....He just wont admit it.....

South Point's schedule is weak. They haven't been tested. They will be tested in two weeks. I don't quite think it will be 24-0 this year but the Lions win in Lionburger stadium.

East Gaston's qb was very athletic. I told the people in my group that if he played for a decent team, he would be quite a star.

East's hamburgers were phenomenal!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT