ADVERTISEMENT

Obama Care and Retirees...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleehrat84

Nov 8, 2001
Prior to the passing of Obamacare, retirees could earn up to half of their "average final salary" and still qualify to draw their retirement pay. Almost all systems have a policy mandated that says if a person earned 30 hours of pay, he is considered full time and thus would have lost BCBS insurance coverage which would have automatically been switched over to Obamacare basic. With the mandate no longer the law, will retirees be able to return to part time positions as it was prior to the law changing?

Anyone with insight, please feel free to elaborate on this.

Obama care? Wrong site!

He is not posing a political question.

How systems determine part time and full time post retirement positions impacts a person's insurance options including the ACA. This is a question a lot of retired teachers / coaches that have part time teaching or coaching positions may have questions about.

Prior to the passing of Obamacare, retirees could earn up to half of their "average final salary" and still qualify to draw their retirement pay. Almost all systems have a policy mandated that says if a person earned 30 hours of pay, he is considered full time and thus would have lost BCBS insurance coverage which would have automatically been switched over to Obamacare basic. With the mandate no longer the law, will retirees be able to return to part time positions as it was prior to the law changing?

Anyone with insight, please feel free to elaborate on this.
Please read the top post from Deanna about this being a football board. Plenty of places to discuss politics, no need to do it on a page devoted to high school football.

He is not posing a political question.

How systems determine part time and full time post retirement positions impacts a person's insurance options including the ACA. This is a question a lot of retired teachers / coaches that have part time teaching or coaching positions may have questions about.
Umm, it’s certainly not a high school football question. Pretty clear this site is for football despite trying to squeeze in a nod to coaching, not insurance and retirement. Coaches & teachers have HR to answer that.

He is not asking a political question, he may continue and anyone that can help him please respond. He is a retired, respected coach in NC and looking for information.

I thought it was a valid question without any political basis or bias.

I know the poster from his coaching days. Retired and went to SC. He has never caused issues here and I have never seen him make any type of political posts on this site or any other social media.

This site is a FOOTBALL SITE. I asked a football question. FUN n GUN and JUMBOB, I coached football for 32 years in NC. IF this site can run rumors of who is fired or who will be hired, why can't a legitimate question be asked about the status of coaches or former coaches who want to continue serving the students in the NC system? I don't give a rats' $#&&*!! about Obamacare or your personal political slant. It makes no difference at all how you like your doctor, keep your doctor, etc. I only stated a fact, followed by a question.

The law forced about 6 head coaches into permanent retirement. The last retiree to keep on coaching was at Tuscola and his personal option after the law went into effect created a deal where he had to take a personal contract with the system and took a $20,000 cut just to keep coaching. With the shortage of assistants in this state, my question was to get information about the status now that the law has been changed without the mandate. Without the mandate, retirees should be able to return to a more equitable option of part time teaching and/or coaching.

I have been with NCPREPS since Moby Dick was a minnow....going back to newsletters. If a simple helpful question is voodoo because of political insecurity on this site, this will be my last post. Otherwise, I would appreciate anyone who understands the effect of the change on your personal county's position with part time or retiree coaches to respond. Yes. I could ask each of the HR offices in the 106 or so school systems to respond. I thought those already affected might already have the answer.

This site is a FOOTBALL SITE. I asked a football question. FUN n GUN and JUMBOB, I coached football for 32 years in NC. IF this site can run rumors of who is fired or who will be hired, why can't a legitimate question be asked about the status of coaches or former coaches who want to continue serving the students in the NC system? I don't give a rats' $#&&*!! about Obamacare or your personal political slant. It makes no difference at all how you like your doctor, keep your doctor, etc. I only stated a fact, followed by a question.

The law forced about 6 head coaches into permanent retirement. The last retiree to keep on coaching was at Tuscola and his personal option after the law went into effect created a deal where he had to take a personal contract with the system and took a $20,000 cut just to keep coaching. With the shortage of assistants in this state, my question was to get information about the status now that the law has been changed without the mandate. Without the mandate, retirees should be able to return to a more equitable option of part time teaching and/or coaching.

I have been with NCPREPS since Moby Dick was a minnow....going back to newsletters. If a simple helpful question is voodoo because of political insecurity on this site, this will be my last post. Otherwise, I would appreciate anyone who understands the effect of the change on your personal county's position with part time or retiree coaches to respond. Yes. I could ask each of the HR offices in the 106 or so school systems to respond. I thought those already affected might already have the answer.
Boom-Mic-Drop.jpg

Reactions: daviekid
Sleehrat84, as I have stated in earlier post I did not feel your question was political, I have a son that is an AD at the HS level. I think he has several assistant coaches that have retired from the system. I have been gone all week on business, I will try to ask him over the weekend.

OBTW, you are always welcomed here, please don’t be scarce.

Reactions: Sleehrat84
I have all the answers BUT I don’t share my wisdom or answer questions for free. I accept Visa, MC, AMEX or Discover Card. I don’t accept cash or checks......money orders or Cashier checks are welcome......I will be accepting Bitcoin effect March 1st.

I have all the answers BUT I don’t share my wisdom or answer questions for free. I accept Visa, MC, AMEX or Discover Card. I don’t accept cash or checks......money orders or Cashier checks are welcome......I will be accepting Bitcoin effect March 1st.
mPtT_y_A_iLbSAfyJhKVxRA.jpg

Reactions: Diddydontplay

While I appreciate your apparent need to rant at length over my comment, you’ll notice there’s not exactly a lot of posts answering your question. Could be because this isn’t a great place to get answers related to Obamacare because it’s a fan site to discuss actual football and not the intricacies of how coaches are impacted by national law, I just don’t know. Perhaps I’m also missing why you’d need to ask 106 or so school systems (I assume you work in only one), and I likewise don’t care about politics. If all this has to do with “after the law went into effect”, I’m surprised that you haven’t been able to find out in the past 8 years. Good luck with your search for answers.

Reactions: The Lake Man
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT