ADVERTISEMENT

NW 3A/4A kick starting thoughts/predictions/etc

Man, West fans get uptight about predictions. Nobody said they would be terrible. But I think it takes a little more than 1 really good year to gain a ton of respect. Especially when the coach left and the QB is gone. Yes, Boyce and Brooks are good but that doesn't change the prediction. And yeah we will see. I won't be upset if they finish higher than where I put them lol.

And I put Watauga ahead of AC simply because of coaching. As much talent as AC has...how much of it will get used. If you aren't a running back you won't be used. And their defense has been so bad lately it's hard to trust them. Watauga has just been the more consistent team for me so I trust that. But that's why they are early season predictions

And wolf, by my theory Freedom should be a cellar dweller? That's ignorant. When West has half the talent freedom has we could argue that. West has had 1 good year in the last 12 and you're acting like they are the team to beat now. The Darren Dulas aren't walking through the West doors anymore. And picking South over West isn't that crazy. Yeah, West smoked them last year but last time I checked...with South running the offense they run now and with the team not trying to two platoon like last year, they won 12 or 13 straight over West. So they may not be favored but it's not crazy. But I have no theory on if a team loses a QB they will be as. I have an opinion that this specific team which lost the 1 coach who had a winning record in the past 15 years plus the best player on your team that it could be a step back. But we will see. No need to get so offended on an opinion just because someone doesn't put you first after a good year.

I'm neither uptight nor offended. I just have a different opinion that you do and tried to show you some flaws in your logic. What you say or what I say will have no bearing what so ever on the outcome of this season - so as you say, "We will see."

I cant think of anyone who would say that losing Tucker wont create a void for this WC team. That's a given. What I do know is that the Warriors do have a number of skilled, athletic players returning that will fill that void and grow into bigger contributors. Its also a fact that this is not Coach Holman's first rodeo. He has has a distinguished coaching career as a coordinator and later as a head coach at one of the better football schools in NC.

My assessment of SC was that when I say them early last season, they were completely overmatched. It was evident to most people that there had been a big drop off in talent from prior seasons and that might have something to do with the fact that their Coach left for a neighboring rival. The two most productive players from 2016 graduated, Goins and Martin.

Freedom - You do realize i was joking with the cellar dweller comment? I picked them to finish first.

Look, in no way am I a West basher. It's nice to see them good again. The county needs them to do well. And getting behind your team is great. It's a message board so it's a respectfully disagree thing. My logic is based on opinions like yours. Nobody can predict injuries or effort when it comes to a 15-18 year old kid. So good luck to them. But as I stated before, after the top 3...I think anyone can finish anywhere. And I'll stick to what I feel will happen just as you will. But South being overmatched last year is fair but I'll also say that the coach last year didn't help. He had no idea of the type of kids he was coaching. He was a basic stick to his system no matter what guy. The results were awful as we all saw. But I think going back to their old stuff will suit them fine. I don't think they turn it around and go 9-2 but I think the improvement will be much greater than other people think.

Reactions: wolfbanker
But we can move on from those 2 schools and focus on the conference now since we got our opinions out lol. Did Watauga lose the QB from last year? My being question mark in the top 3 is obviously concerning Watauga's offense and AC's defense.

Yes the QB is gone
But we can move on from those 2 schools and focus on the conference now since we got our opinions out lol. Did Watauga lose the QB from last year? My being question mark in the top 3 is obviously concerning Watauga's offense and AC's defense.
Yes the QB graduated

Heard former South Caldwell LB Cameron Wright should be starting Aug 31st when Elon plays Toledo on ESPN. Congrats to him! hard working young man

I don't doubt that combined they may still have a tough time. Hibriten does well with the talent that rolls through there. One of the more consistent threats in the area. Not hating seeing them exit the conference but South will always play them either way.

Yeah Cameron works hard and has made great strides there. Played mostly safety in high school and had to learn a new position down there. Hope he has a great year. Could use a few more like him in Sawmills right about now.

Reactions: patsfball
Is Zac Pollard still playing at Pres?
As far as I know he is either playing or is a student assistant or something along those lines. Before his injury he was looking a lot like a Christian McCaffery calibure running back with him being shifty, quick, and of course "white" that some of the ESPN people seemed to give each other a hard time about when talking bout McCaffery lol. Boys don't get me started on those once in a lifetime athletes that come around the area lol. South had zac and of course baseball wise Bumgarner, East Burke had Shatley and the biggie - Leon Johnson from Freedom.

I pictured Zac playing for an ACC school at least and MAYBE if successful making a NFL practice squad but injuries can and do take a toll and can drop your stock tremendously. Chris Douglas of Bandys at least got on a practice squad I think and Zac was just as good carrying the ball as he was IMO.

Reactions: patsfball
Back to what the conf outlook is, can Watauga and does Watauga have the shoe fillers to win a least 5 or 6 games?

Also for South keep in mind, the QB last year for a freshman, had a pretty good arm. I'm sure he's had all summer and before to work on it and with new coach and a lot returning we don't know exactly WHAT might take place. It did look like they were small on both sides of ball last year but it may be kids that will grow and hit the weight room hard. Should be different if they're back to running more simple plays. Can't see them contending with Freedom, prob not West either but it'll be more unpredictable when they line up with the rest of the conf toe to toe as opposed to last year when nobody even gave them a win against Foard and they barley won that one lol.

Oh and yeah I can't forget BJ Emmons of Freedom. Also a rare guy that came through. Usually a RB of his calibure come along around Charlotte Winston Raliegh Durham area.

Back to what the conf outlook is, can Watauga and does Watauga have the shoe fillers to win a least 5 or 6 games?

Also for South keep in mind, the QB last year for a freshman, had a pretty good arm. I'm sure he's had all summer and before to work on it and with new coach and a lot returning we don't know exactly WHAT might take place. It did look like they were small on both sides of ball last year but it may be kids that will grow and hit the weight room hard. Should be different if they're back to running more simple plays. Can't see them contending with Freedom, prob not West either but it'll be more unpredictable when they line up with the rest of the conf toe to toe as opposed to last year when nobody even gave them a win against Foard and they barley won that one lol.
Last I herd from South is their going to senior QB the one that got hurt in pre season last year I think his last name is Connor. But if south is going back to the old offense it don't matter how good his arm is remember the soles kid he had a Cannon but never got to use it.

Reactions: beamer24
It's not the old offense that kept South from throwing. It was 1 person who kept South from throwing. Ask Alexander Central fans who that person may be. I know it wasn't the assistants who are back st South. So South may not fling it 30 times but they won't go back to 1935 football either.

It's not the old offense that kept South from throwing. It was 1 person who kept South from throwing. Ask Alexander Central fans who that person may be. I know it wasn't the assistants who are back st South. So South may not fling it 30 times but they won't go back to 1935 football either.

I see what ur saying but folks may go out saying Butch uses the offense to what style their most good at according to their strengths and talents. Would be kinda crazy to run the ball all the time if you have 2 or 3 speedy wideouts with good hands and a QB with a cannon and accuracy but it's South Caldwell lol. How often do they have that on their team? I'm not taking up for South or Butch, just saying. The coach last year ran the offense the way he wanted no matter what type of kids were out there and it was evident. That kinda offense would work super well if the team is filled with track stars and corn fed boys blocking.

South lost a lot of that the year before to graduation and losing Goins this past year is gonna hurt. Hopfully they got something coming out of the stables, they usually do.

A kid from my buddies church will play for South. The inside scoop, their gonna be pretty not so good. This come from an actual player. May be lucky to finish next to last. If other teams show up and have injuries and turnovers they may get 5th at best

Last I herd from South is their going to senior QB the one that got hurt in pre season last year I think his last name is Connor. But if south is going back to the old offense it don't matter how good his arm is remember the soles kid he had a Cannon but never got to use it.
The Soles kid had a very strong arm. He wasn't mobile, and not sure what QB IQ he had, but could sling it 65 yds! Was in the wrong O for sure.

I believe over the next 3 years Jayden Birchfield may be the best qb in the league. The kid has a chance to be really special. Great kid as well.

Reactions: marsgreen
I believe over the next 3 years Jayden Birchfield may be the best qb in the league. The kid has a chance to be really special. Great kid as well.
A QB with Jayden's skillset could not play for a better coach in the state. If all goes well Jayden will break records at FHS and be a top recruit in state.

Here is the NWC Coaches Poll

1. Alexander Central...5 first place votes

2. Watauga...2 first place votes

3. Freedom...1 first place vote

4. West Caldwell

5. Hickory

6. McDowell

7. South Caldwell

8. St Stephens

The more I hear of Watauga's inexperience, the more I question a top 3 finish. Hickory and West Caldwell will match up well with Watauga, and Freedom and AC will be too much for them.

Last edited:
Here is the NWC Coaches Poll

1. Alexander Central...5 first place votes

2. Watauga...2 first place votes

3. Freedom...1 first place vote

4. West Caldwell

5. Hickory

6. McDowell

7. South Caldwell

8. St Stephens

I can't see this finish but it's for fun so I'm not knocking it. Watauga IS well coached and can probably make a lot out of alittle but senior losses can and do take a toll unless your Mallard Creek or the Knotts days at Indy when they just reloaded with out of district all stars no matter how many guys you saw standing on senior night.

I'm telling ya the previous year is rarley ever an indicator as to the following year. 2010 Hibriten had it going on. Lost a lot of seniors. 2011 Hibriten was in Charlotte Observer sweet 16.....why?? LoL. After first couple games that didn't last long. On the flip side- East Burke 06'. 3 wins. Very next year- mighta won a state championship if Indy was caught one week earlier with all the ineligible players.

This year Freedom, with the few wins last year , may not be 3rd or 4th rounders yet but something good is gonna take place. Better than a 3rd place conf finish.

Maybe Alexander will be better than most think, however the ultimate tests will be Freedom and Hickory. Yes i said Hickory. Usually always a good cross river matchup. Usually.

Last edited:
The upset of the century - AC n Hibriten 2010.

Hibriten pretty much favored by all the newspaper writers and sports fans in the whole region and this side of the state on that one after CRUSHING a good South Caldwell team and before that taking a high ranked Butler down to the wire. Hibriten decided not to show up for some reason that game and it wasn't like AC was that good.

Hibriten pretty much favored by all the newspaper writers and sports fans in the whole region and this side of the state on that one after CRUSHING a good South Caldwell team and before that taking a high ranked Butler down to the wire. Hibriten decided not to show up for some reason that game and it wasn't like AC was that good.
That hibriten team was legit should have beat Butler, then got screwed against tuscola.

That hibriten team was legit should have beat Butler, then got screwed against tuscola.

Tuscola was the year before. West Rowan got em' on one play in 2010 playoffs and went on to become the champs. We were ROBBED lol. Then this past year Hib beats the wheels off of em just to turn around and get stuffed by South Point which dropped to 2A this year so we might see a repeat of that if the Ceder Rock gang gets that deep

That Ac team finished 9-3 and was knocked out of the playoffs by a scoot simmons lead West Charlotte(20 to 7). Simmons is playing for the Carolina Panthers now. They were 11-2 the year before. Got thumped by Hibriten and blew a 4th qt lead to the eventual 4a state champs Ac Reynolds. Its not like they were that bad either

I watched the west Rowan game last year and had watched south point a couple times last year and thought THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD
No so much one team forgot to show up
Man hibriten looked unstoppable against west Rowan what happend ?

What happen was South Point's Defense. SP switched it up on offense and went to a advantage with Muse & Grier, height and threw the ball. Their was not much the smaller CB's for HHS could do.

Didn't know really it looked like the same players were playing but was totally different SP defense was nice tho

Alexander has always had a hard nosed team with decent athletes sometimes. The community support is great. AC was very tough when Harper and deal were there and I don't to expect any difference with carter being there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT