ADVERTISEMENT

Not NC but its fall football

After grazing on home grass on the way to a 2-0 start the Bison of Buffalo, Mo. bring the herd down off the Ozark Plateau and across the flat lands of Western Missouri to El Darado Springs Mo. Almost to the Kansas line and a 1.5 hour drive in a car but more like 2+ in an old school bus. 2 lane road with plenty of curves. Get behind a tractor or combine and with no place to pass it can be REAL long.

Buffalo beat a good team first game in a shoot out, 48-42.
And last week beat the brakes off another good team that had scored 67 their first game, 42-0. We got a QB that throws BBs and runs like a WR in the open field. I think hes over 500 yards in the air so far chucking 6 TDs. Also ran 2-3 in himself. Good recievers, both down field and out of the back field.

I'd like to go but the drive back late at night is a NO NO. Playing dodge ball with the deer this time of year ..... 😬

Report coming Friday night or Saturday morning.
Oh and I say that the Bison changed their colors this year from Red and Black to Black and White. Their Home unis look just like SWO. And the Bulldogs of Eldorado Springs are Red and Black. I look at this game like SWO playing the Bulldogs of WRH,

GO BISOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Rankings came out today and Buffalo is #12 in class 3. Picked by all the area sports writers to win tonight. A win and depending on how the other 11 do could move up in the top 10. But thats like gettin on the cover of SI ...kiss of death. El Derardo Springs is at #21. Know they are thinkin of an upset. Mowin grass today and will check the news as the game goes on. No radio or broadcast but people keep the score updated on the school media pages. I expect our QB to have another big game.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO BISON

Reactions: UNC91
Halftime ..... El Derado Springs - 8 Buffalo - 7

Looks like a tough game for the Bison of Buffalo

The Bison came out the second half and outscored El Derado 26-8. Final Bison - 33 Bulldogs - 16.

Watched a short video of the game. Two scores, both running by each team. We fumbled at least once and had an interception right on the goal line, about the 5 or so. Fans had umbrellas so it did rain some. It cleared off here about the start of the second half so I guess we got the passing game going. Next week another road trip out west again about 60 miles for me. Might make this one. The Stockton Tigers are 0-2 going into this one. Pretty much blown out both games.

It certainly appears you are a great fan of your local HS football team. Thats what it's all about brother. The kids need and deserve it. Good luck on a fine season for Buffalo.

Reactions: SWO-#1
It certainly appears you are a great fan of your local HS football team. Thats what it's all about brother. The kids need and deserve it. Good luck on a fine season for Buffalo.
I'm a fan of HS football anywhere. At Buffalo Over 55 gets in free,but I always pay anyway. Buy the hotdogs even if they arnt very good.

I'm a fan of HS football anywhere. At Buffalo Over 55 gets in free,but I always pay anyway. Buy the hotdogs even if they arnt very good.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
It's Thursday and I feel more HS football fix commin on. Been down at the river all week doin some fishin and just relaxing. Will go home Friday morning and head to Stockton Mo. and watch the Buffalo Bison go at it against the Tigers. Stockton is 0-2 and gettin blown out. Buffalo's QB Jamen Smith ran for 268 yards last week with 3 TD's and threw for one. Our #1 runnin back went out early in the 3rd qtr and was closing in on 100 yds. with a TD. Coach said in the paper, they couldnt stop Smith or the run in general so why go to the air. The one passing td was a short one to a back commin out in the flat that went for about 30 yds for the score. Its about an hour drive on a good road. I expect us to improve to 4-0.

GOOOOOOOOOOO BISOOOOOOOOOON

Hittin the road in 20 minutes. Will stop and eat, dont know if they will have consessions open, most dont. Will take a chair in case I can sit out of the stands and still see. Stockton plays at the middle school field. Once again this week Buffalo is picked by all media writers to win. Stockton is 0-2 and been gettin the brakes beat off. I dont like lop sided games but I will grin and bear it. I think it will be kinda like SWO playing the Coastal 8 Juganauts ...... o_O

Buffalo goes 4-0 to start the season for the first time in over a decade beating Stockton Tigers 47-12.

We took the opening kickoff and in two plays moved down to about the 25 where Jamen Smith threw an interception. Then the Smash mouth started. On Stocktons next 4 series we forced 4 fumbles and scored. It was the Smith Bros. bringing the Cough Drops and their game. Running back Jared Smith took a pass across the middle in for the first one. Then Jamen Smith the QB ran the next one in. Back to Jared Smith running one in, then Jamen Smith on the forth. Stockton drove down on their last series with the help of a Unsportsman flag (there was another fumble) but they kept the ball and scored with 35.7 seconds left on the clock. Buffalo took the kickoff and in 3 plays scored with Jamen Smith rollin in from 25 yards out with 3.5 seconds left in the first half. We went in up 33-6 at halftime. It was senior night at Stockton so I left at halftime for the long drive hope. We added 2 more scores in the second half with Stockton scoring at the end of the game. Buffalo only puts out a paper weekly on Wendsday so will have to wait for the details.

Was taking to the wife about the game last night. She told me the Smith boys are cousins, not brothers. Jared's mother is a teacher at the school.

SWO1, thanks for the update. You are our connection to what was once a great ritual of fall, here.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
First day of Fall is Tuesday. Been having great weather last two weeks. Leaves are falling and temps of High in 70's and lows in 50's. Great football weather.

This Friday is gonna be a Big Game at home for Buffalo. Da Bears are commin. The Butler Bears are makin the 110 mile trip and bringing a 4-0 record and high powered offence. Butler is a town about the same size as Buffalo, maybe a little larger. But their HS team is a class 2. We have one common opponent. They beat Stockton 49-7 with us beating them 47-12. Details later this week.

Trivia facts about like named schools in Missouri/North Carolina.

Clinton -- about 80 miles north of me on Truman Lake. Hasnt had the same success as their namesake in NC.

Shelby -- Mo. has two, North and South Shelby. Again nowhere near the record of the lions.

Catholic --- Two again. Springfield Catholic who my Bison play. Not a bad team. Vale Catholic near Kansas city. A large school with State Titles. As a side note of the Religious based schools in Mo. the top one is De Smitt Jesuit in KC. A Super large school and a force in HS ball.

Richland -- Unlike Richlands of Jacksonville no S on the name. They dont play football as it a real small school with less than 600 in the total school system, K1 - 12.

As in many states, there is a Thomasville, Missouri. But with a population of 68, I doubt they have a high school.

One of the more unusual coincidences involves Thomasville, NC and Thomasville, Georgia.

The newspaper for the NC school is the Thomasville Times, which is owned by the neighboring High Point Enterprise.
The newspaper for Thomasville Georgia is the Thomasville Times Enterprise.

The Georgia school is part of a city school system, like in NC. The mascots of both are the Bulldogs. Thomasville, NC’s colors are red and black. That was also true in GA until the school merged with a black school during the integration years. They changed to red and gold.

Thomasville NC’s long time rival is the Lexington Yellow Jackets. Thomasville is the largest city in Davidson County, while Lexington is the county seat. For several years, Lexington’s city manager was Alan Carson. The city manager currently for Thomasville, Georgia is....... yep, the same Alan Carson. We like to kid our brethren across Abbott’s Creek that their city manager always wanted to live in Thomasville, but had to move to Georgia to get there.

As in many states, there is a Thomasville, Missouri. But with a population of 68, I doubt they have a high school.

Thomasville, Mo., like a lot of areas in Mo, is a census-designated area. Its not a town at all. No mayor, or any city govt. The median age is 90. Stats for the area say 100% are widowed and 100% high school graduates. Median income is just over $18,000.

Quite a few of em around me, Including where I live, Lead Mine, Mo. My property is in the Buffalo School District, Telephone exchange is Louisberg, Mo. and Mailing address is Tunas, Mo. Tunas has a population of about 12. Used to have a post office. A window onto an enclosed front porch. Now its closed and all mail goes thru Urbana, Mo, about 15 miles away. When I moved to MO. my wifes parents had lived on a farm in Tunas since 1981. They have since sold the farm and moved to Buffalo. They are both in their 90's.

From the class 4 and 5 teams here I would say SWO could play with most of em. There is a class 4 team about 70 miles from me that is REALLY good. They get a lot of military kids from Fort Leonard Wood. The base dosnt have a High School, only Elm. and middle school. Multiple state titles and almost always in the running every year. Kansas City and St. Louis have top class 4 and 5 schools and could play with the best 4AA and 4A teams there. SpringField not so much.

I am from SW Virginia, born and raised on East River Mt. near BlueField VA. Spent over 20 years in Jacksonville NC with the Marine Corps and Civil Ser.vice. My kids all grad. SWO. My son went to ECU.

Culver-Stockton is a NAIA school ( comparable to Div. II ) in football. Its a small school with just under 1000 undergraduates in 2020. Its in Canton Mo. on the Mississippi River In the NE corner of MO. between KC and St. Louis.

Northwest Missouri State is a large Div. II school in the NW corner of Mo. About 4 hours north of me. North of KC and almost to the Iowa border.

All in all I like Missouri. Great hunting and fishing around here. I have some acres on a retirement farm, as they say. I run some cattle, but across the road on my brother-in-laws place. I dont think he has ever lived more than 10 miles from where he was born. I dont mess with the cattle as he likes to do it. I help with haying and taking them to market. We split the costs and split the profits, 60% to him and 40% to me. I dont go hungry....where is the Beef, here .... 😎
Sounds like a great place to retire and a great retirement job. Congrats on your retirement and THANK YOU for your service to our great country!

A great story about students gettin involved in Football and other sports for the fans. Nixa is a large school just SW of Springfield, Mo.

Well they have changed games for this Friday. Now Buffalo is going to Sherwood HS (1-3). Almost a 2 hr drive one way, I anit goin. Butler here is now next Friday (10/2). Thats a bummer ...... :eek:

I guess they have the schedule squared away ?? Some stats on Sherwood....

1-3
Won their first game 20-6
Lost last 3 by a total of 163-8
This one could get ugly quick.....Missouri has a 35 point running clock rule. Coach Phillips hasnt really tried to run up any scores. We get 4 TD ahead and he takes the foot of the pedal.

Love this cool weather.
73 high today 65 high Thursday.
Weve

Yep... First day of fall was yesterday. Been weather like yours here in MO. for almost 2 weeks now. Goin back to the river Sunday for another week. Forcast says highs in lower 60's and lows in or near 40. Leaves have started fallin and grass has almost quit growing. I'm ready for the first killing frost.

Yep... First day of fall was yesterday. Been weather like yours here in MO. for almost 2 weeks now. Goin back to the river Sunday for another week. Forcast says highs in lower 60's and lows in or near 40. Leaves have started fallin and grass has almost quit growing. I'm ready for the first killing frost.
SWO-1, This is outside the scope of football but speaking of fall, and cooler temperatures, on another post you mentioned being from the Bluefield, Va., area. I've had an interest in meteorology since I was a kid. Is there much of a difference in fall and winters, there, in the Springfield area, as compared to Bluefield ?

SWO-1, This is outside the scope of football but speaking of fall, and cooler temperatures, on another post you mentioned being from the Bluefield, Va., area. I've had an interest in meteorology since I was a kid. Is there much of a difference in fall and winters, there, in the Springfield area, as compared to Bluefield ?

Night and Day difference Lincolnton. Bluefield WVA, which is uptown, Bluefiled Va. is downtown. Bluefield is called, Natures Air Conditioned City. The wind blows all the time. About 4-5 feet difference in snow every year. Bluefield is right in the middle of the Appliciation Mountain Range, Here in MO. where I live they have little rolling hills. Trees are about the same, mostly Hardwoods. We have 4 seasons here in SW Missouri, Mild spring and fall. Get a few snows every year but not much.

Well yet another schedule change. Seems Sherwood has a COVID outbreak and all are quarantined. So now we will go to Aurora, a much better team. They are 2-2 but play a lot better schedule than Sherwood. Their 2 losses have been by avg. about 16 each. They dont seem to score a lot so should be a lot better game. This game is SW of Springfield Mo., 75 miles from me on good mostly 4 lane road. I will have to think long on going to this one.

Night and Day difference Lincolnton. Bluefield WVA, which is uptown, Bluefiled Va. is downtown. Bluefield is called, Natures Air Conditioned City. The wind blows all the time. About 4-5 feet difference in snow every year. Bluefield is right in the middle of the Appliciation Mountain Range, Here in MO. where I live they have little rolling hills. Trees are about the same, mostly Hardwoods. We have 4 seasons here in SW Missouri, Mild spring and fall. Get a few snows every year but not much.
Thanks, SWO-1, that's interesting. It sounds like Bluefield has weather similar to Boone, NC. For an old guy, I've travelled so little, for instance, I've never been to Jacksonville, NC or Bluefield, and that's one of the reasons I'm so curious. I retired this past January and if and when the virus dissipates I intend to look around, some. Good luck to the Bison.

Enjoy your retirement Lincolnton. One of the perks No more working late Fridays and missing football games ..... Plus you can get there real early and get a good seat.

Reactions: dplubo
Thanks, SWO-1, that's interesting. It sounds like Bluefield has weather similar to Boone, NC. For an old guy, I've travelled so little, for instance, I've never been to Jacksonville, NC or Bluefield, and that's one of the reasons I'm so curious. I retired this past January and if and when the virus dissipates I intend to look around, some. Good luck to the Bison.
Lincolnton, Bluefield is part of my sales territory. Sounds like I need to take you along on a road trip, my friend.

If ya'll are in Bluefield VA on a friday night during HS football season catch the Graham HS G-Men play. A beautiful setting for a football stadium looking up at East River Mountain. I grew up just a mile up the road going up the Mountain. They have 4 Va. State Titles 1962, 1989, 1995, 2018.

If ya'll are in Bluefield VA on a friday night during HS football season catch the Graham HS G-Men play. A beautiful setting for a football stadium looking up at East River Mountain. I grew up just a mile up the road going up the Mountain. They have 4 Va. State Titles 1962, 1989, 1995, 2018.
I have a customer, an interior designer, who bought the old Greyhound bus station. Neat place for a business.

Lincolnton, Bluefield is part of my sales territory. Sounds like I need to take you along on a road trip, my friend.
OC, thank you, my friend. I'll go with you.
SWO-1, you're so right about not having to leave games or being in a mad rush to get to work on time. I really look forward to that.

Reactions: UNC91 and SWO-#1
Guess the game at Aurora is still on ....havnt heard different as of 2 PM. Power rankings came out today and Buffalo is #3 in Class 3. 8th in State (all classes). Just saw where they have added a class 6 for the remainder of the year. Also realigned the Districts. Buffalo stays at class 3. As for power rankings there are 2 class 5 teams at the top and a class 4 in 4th. So reckon we are in good company. And we are once again picked by all voters to win Friday Night.

Sorry now I didnt go to the game, it was a doozie.

We kicked off and on the first play Aurora threw a interception which we returned to the 1. Smith the QB for Buffalo ran it in for a 7-0 lead. Thennnnnnnnnnnn.....it all went south for the Bison. As coach said terrible play by all, capped by a fumble of a kickoff turned over almost at the goal line and we went in the half down 30-7. Only ran 3 off plays the 2nd qtr.

Coach Phillips holding a halftime meeting "get your $&IT together" if you want to win this game. We came out smokin ....We scored on the first series of the second half. As the Aurora Coach said after the game ...Smith was Unstoppable. in the 3rd and 4th we ran off 3 straight tds with Smith running one in from 56 yards and throwing two more. We scored with 3 minutes left in the game to make it 36-35 Aurora. Coach said WE came here to win and going for 2 he gave the ball to Smith.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Buffalo—mighty Smith was stopped short.

Great gutsy call ..... Coach Phillips said Smith was the BEST ATHLETE ON THE FIELD.

On to next week and hosting undefeated team who are at 5-0. They won their game 67-7.

WOW, sounded like a great game. Props to the Bison for coming back after being down 30-7; says something about their coaching and team character. I would have gone for the win, too.

Sorry now I didnt go to the game, it was a doozie.

We kicked off and on the first play Aurora threw a interception which we returned to the 1. Smith the QB for Buffalo ran it in for a 7-0 lead. Thennnnnnnnnnnn.....it all went south for the Bison. As coach said terrible play by all, capped by a fumble of a kickoff turned over almost at the goal line and we went in the half down 30-7. Only ran 3 off plays the 2nd qtr.

Coach Phillips holding a halftime meeting "get your $&IT together" if you want to win this game. We came out smokin ....We scored on the first series of the second half. As the Aurora Coach said after the game ...Smith was Unstoppable. in the 3rd and 4th we ran off 3 straight tds with Smith running one in from 56 yards and throwing two more. We scored with 3 minutes left in the game to make it 36-35 Aurora. Coach said WE came here to win and going for 2 he gave the ball to Smith.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Buffalo—mighty Smith was stopped short.

Great gutsy call ..... Coach Phillips said Smith was the BEST ATHLETE ON THE FIELD.

On to next week and hosting undefeated team who are at 5-0. They won their game 67-7.
lol...a better finish to the poem would be-"mighty Smith was kept out." thanks for all the updates...jealous since we have no high school football here............................

Yes Mo. is playing, but not without problems. We had two games kanked last week, and the team that beat us had theirs canned all due to virus outbreaks, So far all the coaches have been great in accepting games on a short notice. We both only had two days to prepare for last weeks game. Aurora had it figured out first half and Buffalo made changes at the half and came back. Aurora is in a tough conference with a couple State champs. They are a real good team. We usually dont play them.

This Friday night will be another tough one for both teams. Butler is 5-0 but has to travel 2 hours to us. Non the less I expect both to be ready. I'm at the river again this week but will be home before noon Friday. Will make the 20 minute drive EARLY to get a better seat than last home game. I had to sit on the bottom row at about the 40. Games start at 7 so I will get there at least by 6, probably before.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BISOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT