ADVERTISEMENT

Northwest Conference 1st Thru Last Finish

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
In what order will this new NWC 1A Conference finish the season, 1st place through last place. It's going to be interesting. 3 * original NWC & 4 + comings in from the MVAC. Guesses just for the fun of it just to see who comes the closest.

Alleghany +
East Wilkes +
Elkin +
Mount Airy *
North Stokes *
South Stokes *
Starmount +

1. East Wilkes
2. Mt Airy
3. Elkin
4. Starmount
5. Alleghany
6. South Stokes
7. North Stokes
I could be very wrong ,but I believe East Wilkes will surprise some people this year.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Not gonna say what I think as I got my preview coming in a week or so but..

I do think the Northwest will have a lot of parity and be SO much stable for the first time in 8 years.. by eliminating the split conference in 2013 the state ruined so much momentum. However this is a great way to rebuild it to the conference it needs to. The Northwest should never have anyone from outside Surry/Stokes or anywhere close ever again in it.

I think parity will be a yearly occurrence in the NW for the next 4 years; maybe not at the top, but definitely 2-7. Who knows though I think there will be a very strong challenger to the Bears in this conference at least one year maybe more so

Not gonna say what I think as I got my preview coming in a week or so but..

I do think the Northwest will have a lot of parity and be SO much stable for the first time in 8 years.. by eliminating the split conference in 2013 the state ruined so much momentum. However this is a great way to rebuild it to the conference it needs to. The Northwest should never have anyone from outside Surry/Stokes or anywhere close ever again in it.

I think parity will be a yearly occurrence in the NW for the next 4 years; maybe not at the top, but definitely 2-7. Who knows though I think there will be a very strong challenger to the Bears in this conference at least one year maybe more so
Looking forward to your preview and always enjoy reading it.

• Love
Reactions: Slasher Killer
I bet some from Reidsville remember playing Mount Airy at the old Mount Airy High School pre-1950s before they built the new high school. The school first opened in 1895. I don't remember when the new high school was built but I went here in the 4th 5th & 6th grade (South Main St School)after the new high school opened and 1st, 2nd & 3rd grades @ Rockford St, School started in 1957. I turned 6 in December so I couldn't start in 1956.
safe_image.php

Last edited:
What year was this building torn down I remember it being there when I was a kid and I was born in 71 can't remember when it was removed and the municipal building was built there

MT Airy should win that Conference.
The question is has the team and J.K. Adkins jelled as players have graduated and younger players step up under a coach they have been with since May 04, 2018. The 2 players that were sophomores last year that went back to North Surry probably saw better players ahead of them and went back to NS hoping to get more playing time. Mount Airy has very good JR. and Seniors returning and JV players that had one loss this spring due to players moving up to play East Surry the last game of the season and the only loss coming to JV East Surry with a few of their best players moved to varsity that week. JMO
J.K. Adkins needs to show what he can do this year, LOL due to those 2, D1 sophomores going back to North Surry. "That was to be taken as a joke."
By the way, the 1st game of the season Fri, 8/20/21 ... at 7:30 pm is North Surry vs Mount Airy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Illuminati704
It took Adkins 4 years to take off in Ronda. I've always said it takes a coach 3 to 4 to get their system installed and the players to buy into. It's tough sleding for any outside hire coach to come in and take over a program in which players have built a relationship and developed in another coaches system. Mayberry needs to chill out.

In 7 more Friday nights, we will be watching or listening to high school football 1st games of the season. Mount vs North Surry. Who will your team's 1st game?

Last edited:
EW finishes no higher than third. The “talented “ group is not panning out. Plus coaching staff/parents is a joke.

Mount Airy will dominate this conference for the foreseeable future. Without East Surry, there will be nobody to balance the talent disparity. Too much speed and tradition. Hopefully, Starmount can come around.
Starmount always gives them a good game and it is at Starmount this year. Mount Airy needs to be ready.

I'm ready for the season! Hope we are much better than we were in the spring!

EW finishes no higher than third. The “talented “ group is not panning out. Plus coaching staff/parents is a joke.
With the addition of Graham from WC that adds a whole new layer EW can work with. He is a playmaker and along side the Martin kid in a 2 back set that is some firepower. (Im Assuming Graham plays RB & WR since the EW QB from spring was just a Soph and was not bad).

With the addition of Graham from WC that adds a whole new layer EW can work with. He is a playmaker and along side the Martin kid in a 2 back set that is some firepower. (Im Assuming Graham plays RB & WR since the EW QB from spring was just a Soph and was not bad).
Maybe. Will take a lot more than that to compete with and beat Mount Airy. Wilkes Central had 3x that firepower last season and still lost several games and struggled with others.

Reactions: radioguy16
Maybe. Will take a lot more than that to compete with and beat Mount Airy. Wilkes Central had 3x that firepower last season and still lost several games and struggled with others.
Oh by no means do I think they will win the NW1A im just saying I think they will be more competitive now. 2nd place behind MA is a 3 way dual between EW Elkin & Starmount IMO

Count down now stands at 5 more Fridays until high school football season's 1st game. Who do you play in 5 weeks ?
Mount Airy has a 1st and 2nd-week tough rivalry games, 1st across town 2A North Surry a 2nd game 2A East Surry from 10 miles down the road.

Last edited:
Count down now stands at 5 more Fridays until high school football season's 1st game. Who do you play in 5 weeks ?
Mount Airy has a 1st and 2nd-week tough rivalry games, 1st across town 2A North Surry a 2nd game 2A East Surry from 10 miles down the road.
I think the East Wilkes Vs West Wilkes game is gonna be a fun one in Ronda after West knocked off East in the spring 21-20 to break the conference losing streak.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Count down now stands at 4 more Fridays until high school football season's 1st game.
Mount Airy has a 1st and 2nd-week tough rivalry games, 1st across town 2A North Surry a 2nd game 2A East Surry from 10 miles down the road.2 touth games for Mount Airy to start off the season.
Who do you play in 4 weeks ? Does anyone start off with a rivalry game?

Graham kid adds nothing. No depth, coaching, no defense, and even worse QB. Graham would make a better QB threat, but too much politics at EW. Only the butt buddies play.

Nothing to me. Just hate seeing kids practice hard all summer and fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT