ADVERTISEMENT

north stanly vs murphy

Kevin2346

Jun 9, 2016
Due to rain all week.

Murphy comes to North Stanly Friday Night

Doubleheader to be played Saturday at Murphy

Not sure how that's going to work out since there is rain potentially in the forecast here Saturday as well.

as of right now they are playing tomorrow thursday night at 6pm at murphy. friday at 6pm at north stanly. and if necessary sat at 6pm at murphy.

Last edited:
was it as lopsided as the score?
It was closer than the score, North Stanly has a good team. With that said Murphy was up 3-1 after the first inning and never really looked in serious danger of relinquishing the lead. North Stanly cut it to a single run lead at one point but Murphy responded with three more runs shortly after and pretty much cruised the last two innings.

Unfortunately I fear whoever wins this series is really going to have their work cut out for them with Whiteville, more specifically Gore (projected top 5 pick in the MLB draft this year). The good news for Murphy is no matter what happens they return basically their whole team next season and have a bunch of talented underclassmen waiting in the wings, as well as two impact transfers (they're brothers) coming in. Well that and Gore will have graduated and Whiteville will be in 2A, lol.

Last edited:
2 transfers coming in...what is so special about the town of Murphy where yall get transfers coming in...seems like yall get a few in football every year. do kids just transfer there to win ball games?

mbdfan is it true Murphy didn't even play there best pitcher last night? If so, I suspect the series will be over tonight.

2 transfers coming in...what is so special about the town of Murphy where yall get transfers coming in...seems like yall get a few in football every year. do kids just transfer there to win ball games?
I talked with the father of the two players and they are physically moving to Murphy from Hayesville, but my perception of it was that it was indeed with athletics in mind.

Honestly, Murphy really hasn't gotten that many transfers in football. There's always a lot of kids and parents that say they're coming to Murphy and they never do, or the kids will show up for workouts in the summer but not stick around. Mainly I suppose because it's hard to come in and win a starting spot when there's already plenty of homegrown talent already on hand. Those kids or their parents find that out pretty quick and they stay at their original school.

As far as I can recall Murphy football has only had two legit transfers in the last several years and they both came from Hayesville (Colton Posey and Bryce Clapsaddle). The Clapsaddle family already lived in the Murphy area, the mother taught at Hayesville (and I believe the father as well, not totally sure), that was the only reason they were at Hayesville in the first place.

Murphy's girls basketball team had two transfers this year but one of them had to sit out the whole season because she didn't physically move to Murphy. The other girl (Beckner) did move to Murphy, she was one of their best players this season.

Last edited:
mbdfan is it true Murphy didn't even play there best pitcher last night?
Yes, that's true. Murphy's best pitcher #16 is pitching tonight and since #7 pitched a complete game yesterday, they will have all their other pitchers available in relief.

A rare rough afternoon for #16, just didn't have his usual stuff tonight. North Stanly scores five runs before Murphy records a single out, 'Dogs pull their starter and basically concede the game by keeping #13 and #14 in reserve for game three (which was definitely the correct call on the manager's part). Anyway, North Stanly goes on to win it 12-2 after five innings.

The good news for Murphy is they still have quality arms available for game three, plus they'll be back in their comfort zone at home. North Stanly on the other hand has already exhausted their normal pitching rotation, they will have to pitch someone tomorrow that hasn't thrown very many innings or started very many games for them this season, doesn't mean they still can't win but I think Murphy will have the advantage tomorrow as far as pitching options is concerned.

Last edited:
is there a rule that u cant pitch whomever they want? even if u use the same pitcher 3 days in a row who cares?

is there a rule that u cant pitch whomever they want? even if u use the same pitcher 3 days in a row who cares?
Yes, there are pitch counts in high school and players have to be held out X number of days depended on how many pitches they threw in a given game. It's a good thing for the players and their health, it eliminates the possibility of coaches egregiously overusing and damaging high school arms. It's also better from a competition standpoint, because a team can't get by on one dominant pitcher, they actually have to have pitching depth if they want to have a long postseason run.

they should make exception for 3 game series
Have to disagree. In the past that is where some coaches have overused their "ace" by having him throw too much in too short of time. Imagine throwing over 200 pitches in three days effect on an 18 year old or younger arm.

State championship series does have the exception of just 120 pitches for series instead of days rest requirements.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Any of you remember Streater kid from Sylva-Webster back in 70's. His arm was overused and couldn't throw the ball hard at UNC.

Well it turns out there was no other pitcher needed. Since #16 was pulled so early yesterday he was able to pitch today and he came out and threw a complete game, only blemish a solo homer. Murphy wins the game and the series 2-1

'Dogs will have a monumental task ahead in facing Whiteville, but they'll come out and give it their best shot next weekend.

I would be very careful in taking those transfers but from what I hear while the older brother is very talented he is also a cancer from a personality stand point and I think Murphy has a really tight nit group do not want to mess that up. So much so that one of my kids friends said that they werent going to let him play basketball next year if he stayed in hayesville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT