ADVERTISEMENT

North Moore @ Albemarle

Seth Smith and Doug Talbert were also part of the Gaster coaching tree. I do think if AHS had made the right coaching hire two years ago they may have won state titles the last two years in small 1A. No idea who the right guy was but the word from many opposing teams was that X and O's had dropped off.

The issue is that AHS is not in the same position it was 14 years ago and that is a huge difference. 2001 - 2003 ADMs were 660-686. This year will most likely be closer to 400 than 500. Probably over 250 less students. If that is 125 boys would 5% play football and would one of those be good enough to make a noticeable difference? Probably. In 1A football a couple of solid players or one playmaker is huge.

Jack did a great job but he would have more obstacles now than he did 2001-2003. AHS today is in a situation much like the AHS that played 2A football with them being a very small 2A which allowed them to drop to 1A. The success in 2A was good but it was not better than what AHS has done on the field the last two seasons although last year is hard to compare due to not being in the playoffs with the forfeits.

Reactions: steady99
What is it now swayster? Nothing would surprise me...

Last edited:
Mid season replacement? Did the Ol' Ball Coach leave South Carolina to come and resurrect the program three days before the Bulldogs play north stanly?? Stay tuned.............................................

Great posts on this thread by btango. Thanks for the insights.

Interesting argument that the last two teams at AHS were better than any of the teams from '93 through '96 (AHS dropped to 1A in 1997, if I remember right). Probably would not disagree, but in general the '93 through '96 teams played tougher schedules. There was a bit of a drop-off in 1995 (I watched AHS get crushed at Salisbury that year - do not recall ever seeing Gaster more upset than he was that night), but the '96 team went 12-2 with only a loss to West Stanly in conference, and that '96 West Stanly team won nine games in the regular season (still the most in school history).

I can say I haven't been proud of much this season, but I am extremely satisfied in hearing that Coach Smith decided to make a statement regarding the players actions after the game against North Moore. I hear that 5-10 players have been kicked off the team for actions after the game. In my opinion we should kick more for their lack of effort. I am not sure the names of the players or position, but good for him and the coaching staff for making a statement. I hear that it includes 4-5 starters. I guess we will see on Friday.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Nothing but total respect for the coaching staff for that. The Albemarle Bulldogs deserve nothing but respect. They are the flagship program for the YVC. Actions that have been seen should not be what y'all are known for. It may be time to let it go.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I was going to talk trash, but I changed my mind.

What Spike says is partially true.

The principal actually gave the players their walking papers and not the coach. I guess Smith doesn't have enough guts to kick the players off himself.

But this is what I know or been told:

Smith and his current cronies never gained any respect from the players as Smith and his current cronies never built a relationship with the players. Things got heated and certain players went after his "Throat". Can you blame them? I for one don't condone this action what so ever. Being an former athlete, this is totally unacceptable on the players. Also, it is totally unacceptable that Smith and his group of cronies never built a "Real" relationship with those boys and do not care of having one. I know for a fact that there is no relationship between the players and coaches, and one parent already posted on facebook that certain cronies of Smith talk about the players.....

Now that the dirty laundry is being aired out, was the volunteer coach that resigned in the wrong for saying what he said, when you got coaches feeling and saying what they feel? Hmmm, talk about being bias.

I will support Albemarle, but I will not and I mean "I will not support this current staff and thuggish attitude from players". No way, no how.

I have said it before that "Some FREAKING body has to take responsibility here" whether it be the coaches or the players. What you have is a bunch of women going backwards and forwards with each other and getting nothing done.

I keep it 100%, been doing it since I found this "Little" board.;)

Reactions: Buddy Rich
steady I am not saying the last two teams were better than some of the mid 1990's teams but there are some similarities regarding their enrollment compared to their opponents, not being able to out athlete every team, not the biggest team on the field, not the most depth, et al. 2001-2004 had one of the largest couple of enrollments in 1A, great athletes, big huge linemen, large numbers.

Reactions: steady99
How can you build any kind of relationship when you're 30 yds away from the team down the sidelines. Also at practice Smith is either in the building or walking all over the field doing nothing. Its easy to see there is no connect between the team and the coaching staff. You can teach x's and o's all you want but with no relationship between the coaches and the players what good is it. Kudo's to mr. Kilgore for taking these steps and none for coach Smith.

We are calling out Smith for not kicking the players off the team since the principal removed them? Do we know that may be Smith felt that the players that were removed would be better off if they were suspended a game or two but remained on the team and the principal disagreed and made the call? Or did Smith tell the principal he was removing the players and the principal told him he had already decided and was removing them? If the principal is removing players what other decisions are being made by someone not on the coaching staff?

Heard the same complaints about Seth Smith and Talbert's staffs. This time it is exacerbated due to the losing.

One of the main things the admin was looking for was to get discpline and academics in order for the football program with all paperwork in order. How do you do it? Discipline and bonding with the players. Tough to do both especially when a traditional winner is losing badly.

Players physically going after a coach or administrator is a sign of a young person with very little discipline and that requires some serious decisions. How someone reacts when things do not go their way shows their true character.

Last edited:
@btango 2001-2004 we had a really good student body, I was apart of one of the smallest classes to graduate with 113 in 2002. We had great character then and pure athletes. The coaches loved us....well some of us, and we done what we needed to do to win, no matter which sport it was.

@Buddy Rich I have no clue. A lot of people are giving Kilgore a hard time saying that he's not doing his job, but I beg to differ. Kilgore has a lot on his plate to clean up AHS and get things back in order, and if that means ruling with an iron fist, then so be it.

As far as the coaches go, I have no say. Terrible play calling and terrible relationship with the kids.....a perfect storm for what happened Friday night.

I agree, that was uncalled for on the players end. That should never happen. If these kids dreams are to make it to the next level, they won't do it that way.

As far as someone saying that these kids are "Un-coachable", I will go as far to say that some people are harder to coach then others, but no one is truly un-coachable. But, when you tried everything (Which they haven't) its probably best to part ways and go with what you got. Even if it means kicking your star player off the team.

I don't know the full details, but what I say is in line of what truly happened.

North Sanly will drop 40+ on Albemarle come Friday, a game I was looking forward to and now I could care less about.

Good day.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Which star player is kicked off? forget north stanly, south stanly may drop 40 on them lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT