ADVERTISEMENT

North Moore @ Albemarle

Your kidding I hope when you say "there isn't a single Albemarle player" I won't say most of them but there are some kids out there I have watched grow up in this Albemarle program and give it there all day in and day out! Don't strip these kids down any more than they already have been...

You can't get stripped down unless the paint is already peeling. Even through the toughest situation, Albemarle never let their feelings show! We did work and moved on.

You have to want to win! You have to have respect, and if someone want give it too you, then you take it!

But your right. These kids are in a tough situation, but let me ask you....do they believe they can win? Hmm? Why would they blurt out such things? They were defeated before they hit the field.

Man please.

Reactions: atucker2
Phil Smith has done a masterful job of destroying this once great football program. Congrads Coach!!!!!!!

You can't get stripped down unless the paint is already peeling. Even through the toughest situation, Albemarle never let their feelings show! We did work and moved on. We have watched Emery for three years. We know Our Offense can score more than 6 points against most 1@ Teams

You have to want to win! You have to have respect, and if someone want give it too you, then you take it!

But your right. These kids are in a tough situation, but let me ask you....do they believe they can win? Hmm? Why would they blurt out such things? They were defeated before they hit the field.

Man please.

A good coach can help a team win a couple of games during a season they probably weren't suppose to win and in Albemarle's case this year a bad coach has lost some games they should have won. After last night's game I'm not sure they can beat South Stanly.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Did anyone stop to think why Mike Blanton Quit. The only real bulldog coach on staff. Hell he could see what was happening!!!!

Last edited:
Actually Albemarle's DB Bird leads the conference in interceptions unless max preps isn't updated...
That might be true. I'm just going off what it said in the paper here. But our guy has missed the last couple games so he may not be leading anymore

You can't get stripped down unless the paint is already peeling. Even through the toughest situation, Albemarle never let their feelings show! We did work and moved on.

Man please.
Just saying you hear maybe 10 kids say something don't count out all of the kids.

Since it would have been hard to do a thorough coaching search in the middle of the summer, AHS probably should have given somebody the interim tag and done their coaching search this winter. This thing has gone so far off the rails that they may have to start over yet again.

I spoke to a friend today and they said this group was un-coachable in the youth leagues. #33 Emory?... plays as soft as melted butter, 11 cant throw a fish in a bucket. Our line is as bad as I have ever seen. Our kids don't really hit anyone. I saw Emory last night get a head start on a power play and get stuffed by a kid half his size. How does that happen? #20 is a bowling ball and plays like a tennis ball, he doesn't block anyone. #22 and #33 got killed on defense....I believe that was our inside backers. #19 tries to avoid a tackle. #10 our safety?.. gets the tackle if its more than 10 yards down the field, he doesn't fill an alley. #75 is a head case and deserved to be ejected. Everyone heard him cursing from the sideline. Our punter does a great job. Please guys pull it together and beat North Stanly.

Last edited:
Reactions: atucker2
I know for Myself that next Friday is going to be a Homecoming for every Player and Team at North that has gotten beat by the Bulldogs. I don't understand why the Pride symbol isn't at Albemarle but the last couple Years North has had one on the Hill.

I spoke to a friend today and they said this group was un-coachable in the youth leagues. #33 Emory?... plays as soft as melted butter, 11 cant throw a fish in a bucket. Our line is as bad as I have ever seen. Our kids don't really hit anyone. I saw Emory last night get a head start on a power play and get stuffed by a kid half his size. How does that happen? #20 is a bowling ball and plays like a tennis ball, he doesn't block anyone. #22 and #33 got killed on defense....I believe that was our inside backers. #19 tries to avoid a tackle. #10 our safety?.. gets the tackle if its more than 10 yards down the field, he doesn't fill an alley. #75 is a head case and deserved to be ejected. Everyone heard him cursing from the sideline. Our punter does a great job. Please guys pull it together and beat North Stanly.
Pretty harsh criticism for high school kids who read this board.Sure there have been better teams at Albemarle but we've also had better coaching on those teams. If you ever played football and I don't mean in the backyard you would realize that as bad as the record is these kids are trying and still need our support.If you only have negative comments to make about the players please just keep them to yourself.

@Dogs9 very well stated. These are kids fellas. Especially naming these kids by name come on? Additionally ANYBODY who knows Emery will tell you the last thing that kid is would be soft. Apparently you missed the 60yd td run that got called back where he blasted a kid trying to tackle him and at the end of the run drug a kid 10yds into the end zone who also by the way had a hold of his face mask the entire way. Let's be honest you put 10 or 11 guys in the box and you have a RB that gets the ball at the line how far do you expect him to go exactly?

Quit trashing these kids, they work hard and I for one love these kids. So before you start talking about them especially calling them out by name spend some time with them. By MAJORITY these are great kids!!!!

To the coaches and players who read this board finish strong, beat NS!!!

Furthermore I'm done chatting on this board. I'm love to talk sports but I'm not going to be apart of trashing kids. This is a great school, great kids, great parents and fans. See you all during bball season!!!

Albemarle fans need to just accept the facts this team is not equally fast and deep as in the past.

I can accept that but this is 1@ Football. This isn't Rocky River Football. You have to really be none athletic to do what We have done this year

@Dogs9 very well stated. These are kids fellas. Especially naming these kids by name come on?
Quit trashing these kids, they work hard and I for one love these kids. So before you start talking about them especially calling them out by name spend some time with them. By MAJORITY these are great kids!!!!

To the coaches and players who read this board finish strong, beat NS!!!

Totally agree. Praising kids on here for good play is fine, but no reason at all to single out a HS player for criticism on the Web, whether by name, number, or position.

Coaches (at least the ones who get paid) are fair game, AS LONG AS the criticism is reasonable and civil.

I keep my comments as general and high-level as I can and I still worry sometimes about crossing the line.

I'm sure that Coaches expect to be attacked. What I usually hear sitting on the first row is coming from a bad play call or needing to switch Players

Buddy, I was a Stone fan as well and love Coach Gaster but what agenda do you feel this coaching staff has for the program?

Many of you, not all, deserve what you are getting this year. You have a good head coach. He was put in an impossible situation. How was he to know he'd walk into a program with more problems than the one he left? You say "don't trash the kids"; how about don't trash anyone? These folks aren't trying to lose. Many of you are cutting them down at the knees by your constant questioning, complaint, and ridicule. How is any kid supposed to play hard when all they hear outside the confines of the football field is how "they should be better, but your coaches suck"? This is the perfect storm of circumstance to make it a bad situation, and rather than rally the community in a positive way, most of you are doing everything you can to tear it apart. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if what you are doing is helpful or hurtful. Instead of "why aren't you doing such and such?,"; why not say, "how can I help?"

Note: I'm sure you'll want to attack me, but trust me, I am not a Stanly County person, nor am I affiliated with Coach Smith or any of the others in any way. I have checked in for years on the Albemarle threads, as they stay active, as they provide mid-day entertainment (both positive and negative) much like a soap opera. It is simply an observation from someone truly outside the lines so to speak.

There was no true effort to make a mid summer hire. From the inside, I was told by the AD at the time, that the new principal was making the decision. The AD at the time said he "didn't even know who the candidate the new principal was interviewing was because he was not included". (They then turned away a coach with almost 300 wins and then hired the AD's old hs coach.) Ironic.... yes, but true.

The only thing I have heard from the old fans (those going back to Gaster and before then....) is the disconnect on the sidelines and in practice. They have questioned why the hc is 40 yards away from his staff and players. He did get applause Friday when they got the unsportmanlike penalty when he ran down to the l.o.scrimmage and tried to calm down the emotional player. These old guys also mentioned how they had stopped going to practice because the hc would be in the building or watching practice from the edge of the facility.

No doubt this was a bad situation to begin with. I think if Albemarle can win out, most folks will get on board for a better season in year two. The problem is still going to be the uncertainty of yet another merger plan...or heaven forbid...a fifth coach in what....six years? (One projection still shows Albemarle hosting a playoff game. That would help...) Just opinions...mixed in with facts. I've only watched four games this season.

There was no true effort to make a mid summer hire. From the inside, I was told by the AD at the time, that the new principal was making the decision. The AD at the time said he "didn't even know who the candidate the new principal was interviewing was because he was not included". (They then turned away a coach with almost 300 wins and then hired the AD's old hs coach.) Ironic.... yes, but true.

The only thing I have heard from the old fans (those going back to Gaster and before then....) is the disconnect on the sidelines and in practice. They have questioned why the hc is 40 yards away from his staff and players. He did get applause Friday when they got the unsportmanlike penalty when he ran down to the l.o.scrimmage and tried to calm down the emotional player. These old guys also mentioned how they had stopped going to practice because the hc would be in the building or watching practice from the edge of the facility.

No doubt this was a bad situation to begin with. I think if Albemarle can win out, most folks will get on board for a better season in year two. The problem is still going to be the uncertainty of yet another merger plan...or heaven forbid...a fifth coach in what....six years? (One projection still shows Albemarle hosting a playoff game. That would help...) Just opinions...mixed in with facts. I've only watched four games this season.

Very well put nipit. Thank you.

/QUOTE]

True that AHS was waiting for the principal to get to town and do his interviews as it was his decision to make. The guy with 300 wins was ready to work for very little but it was apparent they did not want him. Offered him a bus driving job to be the HC. When the AD came up with some ideas they were snuffed out quickly.

I think Smith is getting a bad rap to some degree. I am not there and have not seen the Dogs play but anyone who did not expect some issues was missing something but even I thought they would lose no more than four games total based on talent. Now it looks like six losses is assured.

I am friends with Smith and Stone. Stone was the perfect fit for the job. What Smith did at CATA last season was impressive. Heard from a few coaches that he did a good job with X and O's and adjusting during the game. Different circumstances, different people.

Last edited:
This will be long but bare with me folks. It's time to put all the cards on the table. Going back to last spring. With Talbert resigning as hc the search for a new hc should have began but was delayed. Herlocker took a leave of absence and Deese was the interium AD. The guys at CP informed me that they knew of a coach that was interested in the Albemarle Russell Stone. A future HOF coach with 250 wins. I contacted Stone and gave his name to Deese who called him and they hit it off really well. So things were moving along in the hireing process and all of a sudden Herlocker wanted his AD job back. So he once again he was the AD. In the meantime Stone and I had become good friends and as he thought he might get the job . I started helping him and his wife, Pam, look for a house to rent. It had gone this far. He also had been promised a part time job at the school. Then things started to go south. Heard we were getting a new principal and no hire until he was at the school. This took some time and finally Stone was called in for and interview with Kilgore and he was offered the job but the only second job offered was bus driver. No coach can drive a bus during practice. This seemed odd to me that the other second job was withdrawn. Also at that interview Herlocker was not present. Stone told me that was a major concern to him. WHY? Why would Kilgore not want a HOF coach at his new school. Maybe some higher ups had told him not to hire Stone. Guess we will never know. So with Stone out of the picture, next thing I knew the school board was announcing the new HC at Albemarle would be Phil Smith from CATA. OK so I think we will go with Smith. Found out that he was Wes's HC at NS when he played. So what. I welcomed coach Smith to Albemarle and supported him after several games then I begin to have doubts about this man. He was a nice guy and had coached over 20 yrs. First thing he did was totally change the offense to a DW. The kids were totally confused and don't think they liked it. Well it was a complete disaster from the start. Then we started losing and losing and losing. What I don't like about Smith is his coaching style. He squats about 30 yds from the team down the sideline. What kind of coaching is that? I am done with him but I want to make it clear that I have never, ever talked bad about any of the kids. They are the ones suffering from this total breakdown in coaching.
I have been to every game and it is painful to watch. I know all the issues about this team and I can accept losing, but not this way. These kids never stood a chance.
So Fri night go out there and give it all you got. You can beat NS

Here's the reality of Albemarle Football. It will never, ever, ever again be like it was from the time that Coach Gaster took over until the time he was released (or whatever you want to call it). The only hope that we have is if someone from the family tree (Travis) were to be hired. I believe that most of us know that will never happen. Granted, this is only my opinion, but that's the way I see it. Sure, we may win some games (if the school were to remain open) but, nothing like it was during the Golden Era of Coach Gaster. I miss you Coach! RIP

Disagree that only another Gaster can win at AHS. Gaster was a solid gold hire, but there are other great coaches out there. I'm not suggesting the current one isn't great. It's too early to tell.

It matters who's in charge. Young people need strong leaders. I worry about the judgment of some of the folks currently running AHS. I hope they are taking a broad view and making decisions with the students' best interests at heart.

Albemarle won state titles with two coaches after Gaster left. Had teams with the talent / ability to win with the last two coaches. Do not forget that AHS today is not the one that Jack won 1AA titles with. At that time AHS was one of the largest 1A schools in the state having been 2A during the prior alignment. This year they will have close to 400 students.

What buddy says about the Stone scenario is spot on. Stone had no ill will toward AHS not hiring him but and although he never said this to me it is apparent that a man who coached multiple sports in all four classifications including a few title games and a couple of state championships thought the whole place from the county office down was a cluster puck.

Last edited:
Stone was the right fit for AHS but I don't believe he would have anymore wins. These kids do not work hard and if you watch from the stands you will see the truth. Our effort during a game is devastating to our attempt to win against anyone!

How the players work on the field is a true reflection of how they are coached and yes I believe if Stone was the coach they would have won more games.They would have beat West Stanly, North Moore and possibly even Thomasville.

Albemarle won state titles with two coaches after Gaster left. Had teams with the talent / ability to win with the last two coaches. Do not forget that AHS today is not the one that Jack won 1AA titles with. At that time AHS was one of the largest 1A schools in the state having been 2A during the prior alignment. This year they will have close to 400 students.

What buddy says about the Stone scenario is spot on. Stone had no ill will toward AHS not hiring him but and although he never said this to me it is apparent that a man who coached multiple sports in all four classifications including a few title games and a couple of state championships thought the whole place from the county office down was a cluster puck.

True Albemarle won (2) State Titles after Coach Gaster Left. But, to the best of my knowledge they both had connections to Coach Gaster. No one outside the "Gaster Coaching Tree" has been able to accomplish that feat.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT