ADVERTISEMENT

North Davidson 56 - Lexington 27

Rameses

Oct 8, 2004
North's offense was great again, but North's defense showed some weaknesses tonight IMO. Make no mistake about it, Lexington came to play in the first half.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Agreed. running game was very good tonight, thought we backed off somewhat on the passing game. just not as balanced tonight, Lexington's secondary was strong though. Defense learned some weak areas for sure , get to work Monday, and get better. Good Win. Hats off to Lexington, came to play tonight! Finally have some areas of improvement highlighted, hope this serves as a building block, and some inspiration in the drive dept.

8 and 13 for Lexington are very talented and gave it their all. 3 was hard to tackle before he got hurt. They were tough.

The ND defense could have used Blake Stevens. I hope that was a lesson learned for him and everyone else. Maddux Johnson had a big game, and TJ had a monster game running the ball. I'm guessing he had 200 plus.

ETA: The Dispatch says TJ had 274 yds rushing with 6 tds.

Lexington more than just showed up and made ND work for everything. Hope that's the last game this season without Blake. Maddox had a great game, but honestly he is so solid each and every week that you take his hustle and field leadership for granted unless you are a defensive guru. Not much else you can say about TJ that hasn't already been said. Loved that one deep TD from Josh to Jacob on what might have been a busted play. This team has not reached their ceiling. There are areas that can be improved, the good news is that they can be improved IF the kids will work and fight for it.

Come out of the CD game healthy next week and then we have 2 really big games to win conference and get ready for playoffs. Second season just around the corner.....

Everybody's already mentioned the important details. Lexington showed up and hit us in the mouth, and we responded to the adversity with gusto. Lexington QB and RB were very nice, they do indeed have potential.

Seemed to get a bit heated at times, with the Lexington players talking trash to the North fans as they left the field for halftime lol. Our offense looked erratic at times but came together nicely overall.

Boyce is a beast. End of story.

I would rather play Lexington (or whoever else that makes ND a better team) and get punched a little bit compared to resting the starters and having a running clock that starts with the third quarter. Someone sitting near me said a team like Lexington is a good example of what a second round matchup looks like in 2A. I don't have the body of knowledge to filter that statement too much, but it felt about right. Personally, would have loved to not to give that TD up on the last play of the game, also would have liked to score a few more points as 63-21 would have been even more of a statement win. I get not running the score up, I'm just a numbers guy and I think the MaxPreps formula would have liked that outcome better. People forget you are also playing for seeding, not just to get into the playoffs. A few "bigger" wins might mean the difference between being home or away in the 3rd or 4th round (if we are fortunate to make it that far).....anyway, good win with takeaways for the coaching staff to look at and fix.

Reactions: bkknights93
Ok....different topic now.....I am my sons biggest supporter and by far his toughest critic. I make no apologies, so whatever cause that's not the point......

Watching Hudl and holy cow, my favorite play of the year (for my son, not the team as a whole) for Christopher had to be him sprinting across the field to tackle that guy during the punt return to save a TD. As the proverbial "last man" on punt team, "tiny kicker" outran 3 of his own teammates AND the Lexington punt returner to make that tackle when they cut it across the field to the wide side. No better example of maximum effort and never giving up on a play then that one play. Give me a whole team of players with that intensity and effort and I will give you a banner or a ring, you choose.

Since I stay on his rear end every single day about working to getting better, thought the least I could do was "praise" him a little for having the heart (and the wheels) to run that dude down and NOT horse collar tackle him.

Lexington isn't ever known as the classiest bunch. Doesn't surprise me they showed out a little bit with ND fans. Good win for ND.

My 4 years at ND, this was the case both times we went to Lexington. We were told to expect trouble when we went to Lexington and sure enough after the first game my freshman year, rocks were thrown at our bus. Oh well

Ok....different topic now.....I am my sons biggest supporter and by far his toughest critic. I make no apologies, so whatever cause that's not the point......

Watching Hudl and holy cow, my favorite play of the year (for my son, not the team as a whole) for Christopher had to be him sprinting across the field to tackle that guy during the punt return to save a TD. As the proverbial "last man" on punt team, "tiny kicker" outran 3 of his own teammates AND the Lexington punt returner to make that tackle when they cut it across the field to the wide side. No better example of maximum effort and never giving up on a play then that one play. Give me a whole team of players with that intensity and effort and I will give you a banner or a ring, you choose.

Since I stay on his rear end every single day about working to getting better, thought the least I could do was "praise" him a little for having the heart (and the wheels) to run that dude down and NOT horse collar tackle him.
I know he would be a heck of a DBack if he wasn't so valuable as a kicker.

He had another tackle over on our sideline, didn't he?

I would rather play Lexington (or whoever else that makes ND a better team) and get punched a little bit compared to resting the starters and having a running clock that starts with the third quarter. Someone sitting near me said a team like Lexington is a good example of what a second round matchup looks like in 2A. I don't have the body of knowledge to filter that statement too much, but it felt about right. Personally, would have loved to not to give that TD up on the last play of the game, also would have liked to score a few more points as 63-21 would have been even more of a statement win. I get not running the score up, I'm just a numbers guy and I think the MaxPreps formula would have liked that outcome better. People forget you are also playing for seeding, not just to get into the playoffs. A few "bigger" wins might mean the difference between being home or away in the 3rd or 4th round (if we are fortunate to make it that far).....anyway, good win with takeaways for the coaching staff to look at and fix.

Was at the game last night.. Not exactly sure what you meant by you get not running the score up.. the onside kick up 36-14 deep in the third and the pass TD right after Lexington turned it over on downs in the 4th- I'd say North was making an effort to get every point that they could. That said- I hope the Black Knights do come through and bring home a state championship for Davidson County. Going 2aa east will be big in getting there.. i dont imagine that there are many 2a schools who can go toe to toe with North in the trenches. If there is one area that North is lacking in IMO- team speed. Outside of Boyce- kid is a beast- (any offers?) i dont see many other threats to take it to the house at any time. But when the weather finally gets cold and we have true football weather- have to love the strong running game, kick game, and defensive front.. pass defense is still TBD.. After Salisbury got dismantled by Ledford- that game lost its luster. Getting Ledford the last week of the season should be a perfect tune up for the playoffs. Seems they are getting healthy at the right time

Salisbury will be similar to Lexington in that their team speed will challenge us and get us ready for fast teams. I expect us to still win in the trenches.

Hats off to Lexington. They came in and gave us what we needed. The blow out when are good but it was good to ser us play a full game last night. GDTBABK

Reactions: bkknights93
My 4 years at ND, this was the case both times we went to Lexington. We were told to expect trouble when we went to Lexington and sure enough after the first game my freshman year, rocks were thrown at our bus. Oh well[/

I remember it was either my junior or senior year when I played we lost to them and the night after the game apparently some kids from Lexington vandalized the area around the flag in front of the school and spray painted "Yellow Jackets" and "Not this year ND" everywhere. That really left a bad taste in my mouth for them. So, yeah not the classiest bunch.

Was at the game last night.. Not exactly sure what you meant by you get not running the score up.. the onside kick up 36-14 deep in the third and the pass TD right after Lexington turned it over on downs in the 4th- I'd say North was making an effort to get every point that they could. That said- I hope the Black Knights do come through and bring home a state championship for Davidson County. Going 2aa east will be big in getting there.. i dont imagine that there are many 2a schools who can go toe to toe with North in the trenches. If there is one area that North is lacking in IMO- team speed. Outside of Boyce- kid is a beast- (any offers?) i dont see many other threats to take it to the house at any time. But when the weather finally gets cold and we have true football weather- have to love the strong running game, kick game, and defensive front.. pass defense is still TBD.. After Salisbury got dismantled by Ledford- that game lost its luster. Getting Ledford the last week of the season should be a perfect tune up for the playoffs. Seems they are getting healthy at the right time
Yellow Jacket POY, I will agree with you on the lack of speed last night, the defense wasn't attacking, or swarming to the ball as in previous games, may have been due to Lexington's offense. Overall I would say ND has enough team speed. There are some plays in the bag I haven't seen them run since week 3 or so, and some of those plays do showcase a bit more speed from a few of the players. As far as the ND Defense, I would say that Lexington has the athletes to run their offense very well, that caused some disruption for North. This game should help ND get focused, am positive it showed them many areas to get better in.

I don't know that I agree with a lack of team speed, on the offensive or on the defensive side. Other than Craven, I don't remember anyone getting away from our defenders. I saw that big RB lower his shoulder on some guys, but not run away from them. On offense, TJ kept busting long runs so it's hard to say what others on the ND offense could have done with more chances. On special teams, your one returner (maybe #8, I can't swear on the number and I'm too tired to log into Hudl right now) caused some havoc, especially on that one punt. I am not a big fan of kicking to any team that has speed (Salisbury, Ledford, deep into playoffs, etc). I am not second guessing the coaching staff, but I would make sure punts land out of bounds and kickoffs keep going out of the endzone (or off the crossbar ). It's just not worth the chamce of "what could go wrong". High risk, low reward in my opinion to give them a chance to return it. G

I am glad Lexington came to play, glad they scored and glad we had to work for everything we got. I think Lexington could cause some trouble against some teams if they sleep on them. Best of luck to you guys the rest of the season.

As good as lexingtons offense (their QB) was on friday lets not forget that ND had Blake Stephens #99, Nick Turman #4, Jackson Perrell #6 and Zander Williams #8 (out with ACL tear) all missing from the game. Having Blake back this week and possible Turman as well this defense will get back to full force. And i have heard that Perrell will make his way back on the field by the end of the regular season. Come playoff time have all these guys back will beef up their defense but having them out right now has created depth for the Black Knights which going forward will only help this team when they face some tougher teams in the later rounds of the playoffs.

When i referenced the overall lack of team speed- i was just pointing out a slight chink in the armor, I dont feel like its a glaring weakness to derail championship aspirations. I would say that the issue shows more on the defensive side of the ball than on offense- as TJ showed he can take it the distance at anytime- and that opens up the rest of the offense. I heard that yall were missing several players on defense- I figured that sorta impacted the game and scheme (i had a feeling that #90 would traditionally play DT instead of DE). From reading an other post- I would feel very confident in the Black Knights going forward-there hasnt been much discussion about any of the east offenses in 2aa being an air-rad/ spread attack. IMO i just cannot see a 2a school run a Wing-T type of ground and pound attack and have much success against North for 4 quarters. Lexington was able to have success due to a few nice gains early in the pass game- Outside of Craven scrambles there really wasn't much going on the ground. Ledford will be the last measuring stick game- Salisbury as speed alot like Lexington- if not more with their playmakers- but their scheme isn't going to help their cause. I just don't see a sustained ground attack working against North for 4 quarters. I'd say its definitely a formula for a championship- a stout defense up front, a strong running game on offense, and likely the best special teams in all of 2a. Should be interesting to see.

Unfortunately not the 1st time Chris had to make a great play to save a touchdown. Chris is an excellent punter but IMO our punt coverage is the weakest part of our team. It killed us against Mt. Tabor. We haven't had to punt a lot this year but when we have it hasn't been pretty. With Salisbury, Ledford and the playoffs around the corner, if I were the special teams coach I would just have Chris angle the punts out of bounds. He kicks it long enough that even it goes out 10 yards short it would still be better than it being returned 35-50 yards.

ND is a very good team and speed will become a factor in the later rounds of the playoffs. After that first round they will start to see teams much bigger and faster than anyone in the CCC right now, how will they handle it? Also, it appears they have no one on the sidelines or JV team to replace the RB. Will be hard to put up those huge numbers next season losing him and going forward. Will be following to see how they do once the regular season is over.

Reactions: Champ_24
That's fine, the CCC isn't that big or fast overall. We're still playing at a CPC level, and I don't see anyone outside of Shelby, Reidsville and South Point that can match that.

Speed could be a problem for ND. I do hope you go east but NC,Hibriten, and of course Shelby could present a HUGE problem because you dont practice nor play against that type of speed. South Point could give you fits because you're not accustomed to seeing their offense. I see alot of teams that could put more than a scare in ND.

Speed is one thing. Not many teams will have the guys in the trenches to match up. The teams I mentioned before can.

What do you mean we don't play that type of speed? Tabor is as fast or faster than those teams every year lol.

Reactions: Jfrog99
Agree to disagree then. Tabor was the athletic team in Winston year after year, their linemen just haven't been as big as they used to.

North has faced plenty of teams with speed the last 2-3 seasons. We don't see it game in and game out, but unless you have a whole team of burners I don't see it being something that is a nail in the coffin. Examples:

-2015, We beat Mount Tabor, Davie, West Forsyth and Scotland. All of those with speed, even held "Zeus" under control the 2nd half. We didn't beat Charlotte Catholic, but didn't lose because of speed. If anything, our speed kept us in the game, especially on offense.

2016, on a down year......lost to Charlotte Christian, Davie, West Forsyth by only a few points each. All with speed and all were very good teams, more than capable of playing at an elite 2A/AA level. Lost to EF, but that was a scheme/matchup issue.

2017, should have beat Tabor at Tabor. Didn't lose because of speed. They are the only real team we have faced with exceptional speed. They have done well and will do well in the playoffs. Davie is off a little this year, but we were by far the faster, more athletic team in that game.

I guess I just don't agree with the speed issue, I actually think we are faster this year compared to the last 2 years. I am not saying that we are the fastest, biggest, strongest, most athletic or even the best, but I will say that we are getting healthier and better which will make us that much faster and whoever we play or whichever side we play on, it should be competitive.

It sounds like E Duplin, Shelby, Reidsville and maybe SP all feel very good about their chances, we are more than happy to play the role of underdog. Like I said in another post, you guys (Shelby, Reidsville, S Point) are the champs until someone knocks you off. A school like E Duplin gets my attention because they are probably just as hungry as we are. Some of you guys are driving for five and others want to win one more on top of the record number you already have. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out, could see new blood, could end up with the same ole'same ole'.

I agree. Speed is not the issue anyway. Lexington has had speed for 30 years now and done nothing with it. Our coaching is more than sufficient to make up for any athletic difference, if there even is an issue. Four defensive players being out doesn't expose anything. We'll see against Salisbury and Ledford if there are any issues to iron out.

Lol please don't compare Lexington speed nor athletes to Shelby. It's an insult. Not at all the same type of speed or athlete. Again I like ND. I just hope they go east because of the competition out west. Wanna see a more balanced playoff.

Your the one making a deal about it. All ND fans think Shelby is a exceptional school with exceptional athletes. Your the one saying ND hasn’t faced any teams with any athletes at all and won’t be ready for it. Who’s really insulting which school?

Not saying Shelby is unbeatable. But ok we can debate. ND has beaten 1 team over .500 (Asheville) this season. Mt. Tabor the team that defeated you have beat nobody above .500. I'm not from Davidson co. So I'm not that familiar with ND. I can just go off conversations with coaches that have played you and lil tape.

I think your schedule has allowed some of you to get comfortable. I'm not at all saying ND isnt a good team. I think ND is a very good team. My opinion just is, certain teams would present certain problems ND isnt accustomed to. No need to be upset or sensitive. We'll find out more about NC in 3-4 weeks

Not saying Shelby is unbeatable. But ok we can debate. ND has beaten 1 team over .500 (Asheville) this season. Mt. Tabor the team that defeated you have beat nobody above .500. I'm not from Davidson co. So I'm not that familiar with ND. I can just go off conversations with coaches that have played you and lil tape.

I think your schedule has allowed some of you to get comfortable. I'm not at all saying ND isnt a good team. I think ND is a very good team. My opinion just is, certain teams would present certain problems ND isnt accustomed to. No need to be upset or sensitive. We'll find out more about NC in 3-4 weeks
I'd say 5-6 weeks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT