ADVERTISEMENT

NO ONE IS DEFINITELY PLAYING FOOTBALL THIS YEAR

Nick Stevens has done a fine job during this. He has gotten a lot of a blowback and hateful messages for his thoughts.

With that said, as much as I hate to say it, he is right.

Reactions: Crest is Garbage
A major league game has already been canceled due to COVID-19. The leagues in a “bubble” seem to be doing ok. HS football is in real trouble. Wouldn’t surprise me to see NCHSAA delay even more to see what happens with college and NFL do when they start.

Reactions: LHSfaninVA
"It's fine to compare what the NCHSAA is doing to what other associations are doing, but let's be honest in our comparisons. Let's stop spreading information that we don't know to be true. Let's stop believing everything we read on social media. Those of us in the media, let's stop spending all day talking about hypothetical situations and speculating about what might or might not happen, and let's instead focus on bringing clarity to the situation. There is a lot we don't know right now, there's a lot no one knows right now, and that's fine for us to admit. But let's seek real answers, not just talk for the sake of talking."

Some solid advice for all of us.

But to seek real answers you have to look around and see what is happening in the real world. And right now it doesn’t look good for football.

Reactions: UNC91
Squirrel Gravy what's wrong with speculation, what's wrong with discussing hypothetical situations? Dude we don't have anything else concerning high school football. As long as we are not making crap up and telling it for fact, I don't see the harm. I like it when people post stupid stuff. It gives me a chance to rip em. Of course the same may be said about my stupid posts as well.

Reactions: Ooooner
Squirrel Gravy what's wrong with speculation, what's wrong with discussing hypothetical situations? Dude we don't have anything else concerning high school football. As long as we are not making crap up and telling it for fact, I don't see the harm. I like it when people post stupid stuff. It gives me a chance to rip em. Of course the same may be said about my stupid posts as well.

That’s just about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. LOL

A major league game has already been canceled due to COVID-19. The leagues in a “bubble” seem to be doing ok. HS football is in real trouble. Wouldn’t surprise me to see NCHSAA delay even more to see what happens with college and NFL do when they start.

As I have said on the 1A board, people do not realize how big of a headache trying to get a season in is going to be. What happens when Forbush and Surry Central play. Saturday morning 4 kids from SC start feeling bad. Get tested and quarantined. All of a sudden it's possible that 2 teams have been exposed to the virus. They're test comes back positive on Thursday. Other kids and coaches start showing symptoms. All of a sudden Forbush has to cancel their game with North Surry that Friday and Surry Central has to cancel their game with Walkertown.

Meanwhile if we do have a season, who is going to sanitize and clean the whole locker room? All the equipment?

Heck PE teachers across the state are being told kids can't use the locker rooms to change for PE. Why should a sport be treated different?

Let's pray this vaccine they are testing now will work. I tip my hat to all of those that are willing to try this vaccine in these testing phases.

One can hope this will provide relief. I have full faith we will be back to somewhat normal by next summer with things improving by February.

As I have said on the 1A board, people do not realize how big of a headache trying to get a season in is going to be. What happens when Forbush and Surry Central play. Saturday morning 4 kids from SC start feeling bad. Get tested and quarantined. All of a sudden it's possible that 2 teams have been exposed to the virus. They're test comes back positive on Thursday. Other kids and coaches start showing symptoms. All of a sudden Forbush has to cancel their game with North Surry that Friday and Surry Central has to cancel their game with Walkertown.

Meanwhile if we do have a season, who is going to sanitize and clean the whole locker room? All the equipment?

Heck PE teachers across the state are being told kids can't use the locker rooms to change for PE. Why should a sport be treated different?

Clean up for PE would be 6 or 7 times a day.

Clean up before/after a game would be 6 or 7 times a season for each school.

Reactions: 97Cougar and UNC91
Clean up for PE would be 6 or 7 times a day.

Clean up before/after a game would be 6 or 7 times a season for each school.

PE doesn't have the amount of equipment to clean up after a class like a football team.

Plus PE teachers are going to be very limited on what they can do as well as equipment. Most PE is probably going to be focused on personal fitness.

In regards to football, all that equipment will have to be cleaned after every single practice. Who is going to clean 70 helmets and sets of pads? Who is going to wash the practice uniforms after every practice? Who is going to deep clean the locker room?

Thunder, not being a SA, but probably it will fall on the underpaid football coach and his assistants.

Oh I know. Just trying to get some people that don't understand what a battle this is going to be say it.

Coaches already get home late at night. Let's add another hour to their day. No extra pay.

Just like teachers. The workload of many is going to double this year and nothing but a sad $350 bonus.

Another question, or well a few more:

Who checks fans temperatures at the gate?

Mass gatherings aren't aloud so do we play with limited fans?

Who turns fans away once stands are full?

Who ensures social distance is kept in the stands?

Will schools and boosters have the means to provide adequate food safety measures?

Transportation- only 1 kid is allowed per seat, so does a team of 50 with 24 cheer leaders have to take 3 buses now? Maybe 4. And don't tell me leave the cheerleaders at home.

I really feel for ADs and coaches this year if there are sports.

Will schools and boosters have the means to provide adequate food safety measures?

Transportation- only 1 kid is allowed per seat, so does a team of 50 with 24 cheer leaders have to take 3 buses now? Maybe 4. And don't tell me leave the cheerleaders at home.

These are all logistical issues and as is with any type of logistical challenges effective planning and preparation is the answer and will need to be in place before the first kickoff. Common sense says the short answer is canvas the community for fans/parents/wives/boosters/mayors/aldermen/school board members/alumni etc to find willing souls to perform every task needed to assure the boys play safe and to eliminate as many risks as possible. Heck, look back at when these kids played youth league, who handled all the "extra" work that unpaid coaches didn't/couldn't do back then? I did it once and sure as heck would step up for them again as would many others like BK. Thats how America has got things done throughout its history, you roll your sleeves up and you dont stutter when you say "put me in coach". Again, bottom line to me is the kids and I personally as a parent would assault hell with a water pistol for mine, how about you?

it will take a school sro officer at each gate in Canton to stop folks. I'd truly hate to be at the gates when folks try to get in

wish the nchsaa would quit kicking the can down the road and make a decision.....go ahead and move the season to the spring....not fair to other sports but face it....football pays the athletic bills for schools....kids would have to make decisions

Well said

Sacrificing one year of sports and 'entertainment' is way less costly than sacrificing your life and your health.

It is what it is

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT