ADVERTISEMENT

No News Paper Coverage

WSYD/WPAQ in Mt Airy has covered the major 3 sports (combined) for last 8-10 years; been covering Football since late ‘40’s (may be longest running coverage in NC)
-Social media is now the hub of getting the word out…with newspapers declining, who wants to wait 3days to read the story that was posted on FB or Twitter moments after it happened
-All Mount Airy results are posted on Twitter @granitebears & FaceBook -Go Bears Athletics
Bareman, Mt. Airy is very fortunate to have the radio stations covering their sports. Also, fortunate to have someone like yourself with the passion to announce it. Lots of these values and traditions are lost in the larger cities. I am just an old guy that still loves to hold a newspaper in my hand and it is not worth holding anymore.

Last edited:
Bareman, Mt. Airy is very fortunate to have the radio stations covering their sports. Also, fortunate to have someone like yourself with the passion to announce it. Lots of these values and traditions are lost in the larger cities. I am just an old guy that still loves to hold a newspaper in my hand and it is not worth holding anymore.
I’m an old guy, too, and I enjoyed writing stories that helped fill those papers. None of us in the field wanted things to go the way they have. The corporate people made the cuts. We had to make due with less and less resources.

The Asheville Citizen-Times is pure trash. Their HS sports coverage died when Andrew Pearson left.

The Waynesville Mountaineer is down to printing Wed and "the weekend". They must not pay very well as they've churned through several sports eds since Fibernitz retired.

The Hendersonville Times News was pretty good but they got bought out by the AC-T's parent company and so they've turned into just another copy of the Avl paper.

On the plus side, Chris Womack has done a pretty good job enhancing WLOS HS sports coverage with the bare bones ops he's given by Sinclair. Polk Sports covers their county pretty well. The Watauga Democrat still prints 5-6 days a week and gives good coverage of the Pioneers. The Avery Journal and Mitchell News give decent coverage to their programs for a weekly.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Give credit to The Wilson Times & High Point Enterprise for covering local HS as good as any in the state

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT