ADVERTISEMENT

No more subdivisions

So which schools are Que's schools? In case you missed my question. Reidsville, Thomasville?
Thomasville has never been favored by the NCHSAA. Case in point, the lack of recognition by the association for several record spots of Bulldog players and coaches. So, I don’t think they’re included as one of Que’s schools if there is such a thing.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Thomasville has never been favored by the NCHSAA. Case in point, the lack of recognition by the association for several record spots of Bulldog players and coaches. So, I don’t think they’re included as one of Que’s schools if there is such a thing.

I'm just trying to figure out who Gentle thinks Que's schools are and who she is trying to give an advantage to.

With that said, Reidsville proved to be beatable last year. To be the best, beat the best. Just like all those pre 2000 state title teams did.
All those pre 2000 schools didn't play schools over twice there size due to free reduced lunch....wtf...does that have to do with the size of a school?

We wouldn't have to worry about free and reduced lunch being chunked in, if the state would do the right thing and provide lunch to every single child.

Now, in regards to that. I don't think we'd be having this conversation at all if not for Reidsville being potentially 1A.

Alleghany plays ina a conference with schools twice it's size and seems to fair pretty well in several sports.

While size can play a huge role, demographics can play an even bigger one. There isn't much difference in the communities of some of these schools that will move down and some of the schools that are already 1A.

Regarding record books...that’s up to the school to send in any record-breaking performances outside a state championship game. I’ve submitted several for my high school. There is a protocol that has to be used for submission.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Regarding record books...that’s up to the school to send in any record-breaking performances outside a state championship game. I’ve submitted several for my high school. There is a protocol that has to be used for submission.

Exactly correct! If coaches or schools are to lazy to submit records when they are achieved that is no ones fault by the coach, ad, or school.

So I guess the reason for sub dividing back in 2002 has been fixed?

So Reidsville, Tarboro, Wallace Rose Hill, Swain, Robbinsville, and Murphy will battle it out for the 1A Championship every year until we go to 5 or 6 classifications? That's what I see. And the occassional other 1A teams like Mt. Airy if they go 1A? Washington County, Northeastern, who else will be in 1A? Gonna be interesting.

Reactions: realjoejr
So Reidsville, Tarboro, Wallace Rose Hill, Swain, Robbinsville, and Murphy will battle it out for the 1A Championship every year until we go to 5 or 6 classifications? That's what I see. And the occassional other 1A teams like Mt. Airy if they go 1A? Washington County, Northeastern, who else will be in 1A? Gonna be interesting.

You are close but even this group would need to be put into sub groups.

Reidsville, Tarboro - Yearly
Murphy - Maybe every 4-6 years
Robbinsville, Swain, Mitchell, Etc. - Maybe every 8-12 years.

With the realignment does that send the new Cherokee County Wild Dam Dogs to midrange 2A or will it be one of the smallest 2A schools? Heck some of the kids are gonna have a 45 minute drive to get to the new school. Just consolidate Robbinsville into the new high school in Cherokee County. It would still be 2A but would put the fear of God into any 3A or 4A in the state. The Wild Dam Dogs of the Knight.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Washington county?
Im not sure about that
Used to be Plymouth. they would be small 1A. I agree the 1A needs to be sub divided. Just wondering who the top contenders will be besides those I listed. I know WRH is 2A right now. If they drop to 1A it's gonna be a gauntlet to get out of the East.

Reactions: dogs79
With this set up I watched a 1995 7-2 Mitchell team that tied for a conference championship miss the playoffs. Their loses were to Avery and McDowell. Now we’re going to see teams win their conference then go to playoffs against a school over twice their size

Last edited:
I understand. I’ve been told repeatedly that the protocols were followed.

Looks like 3 of the big charter school issues get moved up. MIC stays 1A though.

Other than that, I don't think 1A looks too bad.

I blame the ppl down east.

Robbinsville sports have everything they need even though we are a small poor secluded country.
Our wrestling facilities are awesome.
It takes money and dedication from fans.

Reactions: Steelers71
Reidsville is going 2a.

Mtn Heritage and Tarboro will be tough but beatable.
Tarboro isn't much more beatable than Reidsville, if at all. I would argue that for the type of teams that the SMC usually produces (run heavy) that Tarboro is an even worse matchup for them. It will take one of those elite SMC teams that can actually sling the rock to have a realistic shot at beating a typical Tarboro team.

With that said the only 1A or 2A school that I think a truly elite Murphy or Robbinsville team couldn't at least compete with is Shelby. Reidsville and Tarboro can be had occasionally, Shelby much less often are they down enough for that to happen.

Last edited:
Also Kinston is 1A now, so people can probably forget anyone else winning a men's basketball title the next 4 years after this one. I'd much rather see that than a charter school or basketball mill (WSP) winning titles though.

Last edited:
Reidsville is going 2a.

Mtn Heritage and Tarboro will be tough but beatable.

mtn heritage is very similar to Murphy in style of play and athletes. I’d look for them to make some runs to the state championship but they won’t beat tarboro, not sure anyone will. East did but that many d1 players on one team doesn’t happen often

mtn heritage is very similar to Murphy in style of play and athletes. I’d look for them to make some runs to the state championship but they won’t beat tarboro, not sure anyone will. East did but that many d1 players on one team doesn’t happen often
I agree there are definitely a lot of similarities but Murphy does have more top end speed, just look at the track times. In the last decade Heritage only has one 4×100 team that would've cracked the top 10 at Murphy during the same time frame. Murphy has triple the number of kids running 12.0 or better 100 meter and sub 24.0 200 meter times during the same time frame.

Point being an elite speed team at Murphy like 2010 or 2013 is just not the same as an elite speed team at Heritage, those types of Murphy teams stand a better shot against the Tarboro and Reidsville's of the world, but it's certainly a tall task for either school year to year against the athleticism of a Reidsville or Tarboro, as it would be for many 1A and 2A schools.

Last edited:
Cal preps thinks Robbinsville could beat Tarboro last year.

Also Kinston is 1A now, so people can probably forget anyone else winning a men's basketball title the next 4 years after this one. I'd much rather see that than a charter school or basketball mill (WSP) winning titles though.

Kinston might present a football challenge to Tarboro.

Bertie and Kinston have athletes to compete for sure. The 1A will be tough to make it out of the east. And unless somebody in the 1A SMC learns how to throw the ball, they won't be too competitive. Kinston was in the 2A state championship not long ago in football.

Well Kinston will have to be much improved from last year to beat Robbinsville or Murphy passing or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT