ADVERTISEMENT

No more subdivisions

Well Kinston will have to be much improved from last year to beat Robbinsville or Murphy passing or not.
Bertie also. They don't have a coach yet. Those mountain teams are so good because of the ball control offense they run and solid defenses. The issue is If they get behind usually they don't have a good passing attack to come back. Granted I haven't seen Robbinsville in 5-6 years so I'm sure that might have changed. Great programs though with much better resources in Swain, Murphy, and Robbinsville.

Bertie and Kinston have athletes to compete for sure. The 1A will be tough to make it out of the east. And unless somebody in the 1A SMC learns how to throw the ball, they won't be too competitive. Kinston was in the 2A state championship not long ago in football.
The SMC has definitely had teams that could sling it but they dont have the personnel to play that way every year and even if they did have the personnel to play that way most years, they probably wouldn't.

Of the Big 3 I would say Murphy definitely has produced the most balanced offenses of the three over the last decade plus but they have had the best collection of passing QB's during that time frame as well. A couple of the better Murphy passing teams in the last decade went on to beat the likes of Albemarle on the way to a state titles and another lost a heartbreaker to Wallace Rose Hill in the state title game. Murphy can play with and beat the kind of teams you are referencing when they are loaded with talent and have the QB play to go with it.

Swain is usually run heavy but they had a great passing attack in 2012 and barely lost to a very good SW Onslow team in the state title game that year.

Robbinsville hasn't passed the ball very much under Walsh but they have had a couple QB's under him that had the ability to lead a good passing game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steelers71
I agree there are definitely a lot of similarities but Murphy does have more top end speed, just look at the track times. In the last decade Heritage only has one 4×100 team that would've cracked the top 10 at Murphy during the same time frame. Murphy has triple the number of kids running 12.0 or better 100 meter and sub 24.0 200 meter times during the same time frame.

Point being an elite speed team at Murphy like 2010 or 2013 is just not the same as an elite speed team at Heritage, those types of Murphy teams stand a better shot against the Tarboro and Reidsville's of the world, but it's certainly a tall task for either school year to year against the athleticism of a Reidsville or Tarboro, as it would be for many 1A and 2A schools.

I’d agree Murphy may have more speed year end and year out. Heritage with theRobinson kid at qb would’ve won a couple of 1a west regionals and given wrh and tarboro all they wanted. They are old school ball control and hard nosed on defense. There were two years Mitchell lost to both Murphy and heritage those two teams would’ve had a slobber knocker of a game. Remember heritage gave reidsville all they wanted two years in a row

We usually pass for 1,000 yds a year.

We hold the passing and recieving records for the smc when Anderson was qb. 5 wide, qb in shotgun. Very unusual for Robbinsville though.

I know in 2017 heritage loss 21 -14 to reidsville, also got beat in 2018 by reidsville in a war if heritage could have hit extra points they would have won. As for tarboro if you can throw the ball ,you can beat them.

I’d agree Murphy may have more speed year end and year out. Heritage with theRobinson kid at qb would’ve won a couple of 1a west regionals and given wrh and tarboro all they wanted. They are old school ball control and hard nosed on defense. There were two years Mitchell lost to both Murphy and heritage those two teams would’ve had a slobber knocker of a game. Remember heritage gave reidsville all they wanted two years in a row
No doubt, Heritage has a really good program under Robinson and I have no doubt they will be in the elite tier of 1A football teams more often than not.

Aside from that Murphy doesnt have the same level of athlete pool coming through that they use to, so my guess is the two will become even more alike moving forward in terms of personnel until Murphy shuts down.

Last edited:
Basketball is where heritage should really make waves. Certainly they would’ve won the state championship in 1a last year

Basketball is where heritage should really make waves. Certainly they would’ve won the state championship in 1a last year
Winston Salem Prep and Henderson Collegiate would've been very hard for them to beat, so many athletes and a ton of size. They will probably make more regional trips in 1A maybe even get to title game at some point if Winston Salem Prep falls off but nobody in the west will have anything for Kinston as long as they are 1A.

As far as girl's hoops are concerned they should certainly be in the very top tier with the Murphy and Mount Airy's of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 97Cougar
They certainly have the athletes for it and they have had some good football teams but they have never been consistently good in football. Bertie is another school moving down with athletes capable of challenging.

Remember Bernie from the 3A semifinals vs Carver in 03, tough team. Never thought I see both schools in 1A.

Reactions: mbdfan
I will add, I never thought I would see Carver in 1A.

All the big athletes you see at East Forsyth is what used to go at Carver during my time. Walkertown, Kernersville, Mount Tabor, and maybe WS Prep may have a few of our guys too. Times changed but they could build back up eventually. Hopefully playing in 1A will help.

I know in 2017 heritage loss 21 -14 to reidsville, also got beat in 2018 by reidsville in a war if heritage could have hit extra points they would have won. As for tarboro if you can throw the ball ,you can beat them.

They “could” have won. Don’t forget 2016 game and the potential 2019 game

Carver has been destroyed by open enrollement in WSF schools. Those kids left for Reagen and Adkins at one time. They're pretty bad too now though. I remember seeing Murphy play in the finals against Jones a few years back and they had a great passing attack. But, I remember them for running the traditional wing t and now spread wing t like butter! They are nasty when they click. Robbinsville and Swain have been so good forever with their split veer and some spread stuff last time I played them in 14-15 if I remember correctly. Well coached teams always.

Very disappointed in the removal of the subdivisions. You take away a once in a lifetime experience for many kids and communities. The NCHSAA had it right with the byes in place in 1A and 4A only to blank it up. Typical

I will say this 2a in particular just became a gauntlet. There’s a big difference. I remember playing a whole season going 7-2 missing the playoffs. One year got in the playoffs and played monroe park wood back when they were really good. Second round your likely to get a Shelby, hibriten, or reidsville

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT