ADVERTISEMENT

New Winston/Greensboro Area Conferences

TriadGuru

Mar 26, 2017
What does everyone think about these two new conferences, one being 3A and the other 4A for basketball? I'm listing in order of how each will finish next season in my opinion.

Southwest Guilford
Mt Tabor
Smith
North Forsyth
Dudley
Parkland
Western Guilford

Obviously Southwest will be at the top as long as the Langleys stay. But don't count out Mt Tabor as Coach Andy Muse will have his team ready to challenge for the top spot. Smith might shock some people, followed by North Forsyth who can compete with anyone on any night. Not sure what returns for Dudley but they always have athletes. Parkland will be competitive but not sure how much depth, and Western Guilford will be a toss up.

West Forsyth
East Forsyth
Reagan
Reynolds
Davie
Glenn

West Forsyth does lose a few talented players but should have a lot to be a step above in conference. East improved significantly last season and should be second or third. The rest is a toss up. Reagan seems to always grind wins out, while Reynolds will have players with more experience under their belts after having a lot of new varsity players last season. Davie should be able to compete but not sure about finishing in top half. Glenn lost around 9 seniors and only has several returners and a new coach, will be young but have some athleticism and youth.

Interesting. Show they can play a tougher schedule at Wesleyan but I think the players are really good, not convinced Gatlin is a great coach.

Me either don't know why they would want to leave a situation where they will have an opportunity to final have sets and plays ran for them. Now they will be bringing the ball up to give to Wiggins and Hoard. Would of loved to see them lead a team.

Me either don't know why they would want to leave a situation where they will have an opportunity to final have sets and plays ran for them. Now they will be bringing the ball up to give to Wiggins and Hoard. Would of loved to see them lead a team.

I don't think it's the challenge of the Schedule Wesleyn will only be challenged in less than a %25 of their games. Multiple d1 players on your team will ensure you have competitive practices (iron Sharpens iron). I can understand they won a title on the 4a level now dropping down to 3a is anti climatic and I think playing with and practicing against better talent is more in line with who they play with in the summer and will see in college.

I don't think the iron sharpens iron comment is limited to guards. Their are not many guards in the state that can stay in front of them but it's a big difference when the guy closing out on you or waiting in the paint is a high d1 prospect. Mt. Tabor is losing their best player and North F. lost their 6'9" center so dudley should coast. Also the Wesleyn coach is a cousin of the twins which may explain their decision.

Even though his sons have received early success the elder Langley knows there’s a lot of ahead for the pair. “Keeping them grounded has been easy because their older brothers (KJ and Kam) push them hard in workouts. Also my wife and I have a small circle around them who help in their development including future UNC commit Theo Pinson, Cousin Keith Gatlin, Karolina Diamonds coach Kevin Graves, my brother Lenny, nephew (DJ) who plays college ball and several area high school coaches. In terms of improving both of them need to get stronger. Individually, Keyshaun needs to be more of a threat from the 3 point line. His ball handling needs to be tighter as well. Kobe needs to tighten his handle as well and be able to run the team as a point guard

link to article

Kevin Graves has been labeled psycho by many in the Piedmont Triad. Nothing is ever good enough for him. Hence why he made his son leave Boston College, etc.

Heard that Gatlin was hard to contain at the State Championship game last year. Heard the assistant principal had to hold him back from trying to fight.... On the flip side Guy Shavers seem to be such a great coach. I think he and the Langley's dad went to school together.

That does not surprise me. He has the best total talent but anytime they play Greensboro Day or another team with far superior coaching, it clearly shows that talent can't go win the ship year in year out. Does he actually work at the school? Last, I heard he commuted from near the Charlotte area daily. Only what I have been told. It is easy to win at a private school when you can bring anyone in. What area coaches like Guy Shavers, Andy Muse, do at public schools is to applauded. Not to say neither school has the occasional kid transfer in but it is not a roster spread out all over the state or from other states.

That first conference should be fun to keep up with (even without the Langley twins).

As it stands now, I'm picking Smith to win it. They are absolutely loaded with size and athleticism. I wouldn't be surprised to see them still playing in early March.

They'll have a fight on their hands though. I think SW Guilford will still have the potential to have a good year. They have a good nucleus of players returning. North Forsyth(even without Randle) should still be pretty good. They'll still return Hicks and Petree and have their usual depth. Tabor also should still be pretty decent. Although Evtimov has taken his talents to Freddy-land, they'll still have Wilkins and Aldridge to build around..

I'm not sure what Dudley/Parkland will bring to the table. I saw Western a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if they have what it takes to challenge the top-tier. I do think they'll be competitive though.

I think West Forsyth will be the favorite in that other conference. They should have a strong year. Second place will probably be up for grabs between East, Reagan, RJR, and Davie. Reagan will be competitive. They got some hard-nosed kids plus one kid that has some good, good potential. Davie's got one of my favorite players in junior Owen McCormick.

Man.....is it basketball season yet?

I think West Forsyth will be the favorite in that other conference. They should have a strong year. Second place will probably be up for grabs between East, Reagan, RJR, and Davie. Reagan will be competitive. They got some hard-nosed kids plus one kid that has some good, good potential. Davie's got one of my favorite players in junior Owen McCormick.

Man.....is it basketball season yet?

I can't pick Smith and here is why. A lot of people have said the same thing....they lack coaching. They lose games in the summer they have no business losing because of the coaching or lack of. Sorry to put in bluntly. Also no mentioning of Glenn regarding the new conference with West Forsyth....

I know East Forsyth had a decent showing at the UNC Charlotte team camp. West Forsyth played in the Blue chip league but was missing players due to football. Reynolds has participated in a few jamborees. Apparently talking junk to a few teams like Page before getting beat. I don't know much regarding Davie and Reagan from the summer, although Reagan was in a jamboree I believe. I've heard Glenn went to UNC Asheville and then Queens team camp where they went 0-3.

I understand your concern with Smith. I too think they've underachieved a bit in the past. However, with the talent and size they have coming back, I just can't pick against them.

Speaking of Page, I liked what I saw out of them a couple of weeks ago. I think them and NWG will duke it out for first in that new conference. NW is going to surprise a few people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT