ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball New summer league

Sportsnut17

Oct 7, 2005
This will be a league with structure in place of American Legion Baseball this summer. There will be Junior and Senior teams.

Love the idea! But with the guidelines today...Some teams will struggle if only 50 people are allowed in the facility....so basically no fans just the teams and umps...and they can't have gate money.

Love the idea! But with the guidelines today...Some teams will struggle if only 50 people are allowed in the facility....so basically no fans just the teams and umps...and they can't have gate money.
want be able to have playoff tournament, would have to many people there, would need to have playoff series ,

what well the rules be,? NL rules with 9 inning games, AL rules with 9 inning games , american legion rules , college rules or high school rules . what well the number of players on team be ? well the enroll limit be 5000?

Last edited:
well January 1 , 2001 be the cutoff date? . somebody post on another tread that they should have 22 players. and change cutoff date to September 1, 2000

Who will be the commissioner for the state? I had contact from Area 1 saying they had 11 teams. I'd like to know every team. I've been asked to do a rankings.

Who will be the commissioner for the state? I had contact from Area 1 saying they had 11 teams. I'd like to know every team. I've been asked to do a rankings.
well teams have to play in the same area as they did last year.? wouldn't want a area with just a few teams and another area with 20 teams or more. or only 3 areas have teams.

Last edited:
well teams have to play in the same area as they did last year.? wouldn't want a area with just a few teams and another area with 20 teams or more. or only 3 areas have teams.
The make up of the league will be past Area III teams. As in the past, there will be nothing prohibiting playing teams from other regions.

BazH6yCN_400x400.jpg

An article in the Thomasville Times yesterday quoted the owner of the group that sponsors the Post 87 team as anticipating 13 or 14 teams.

An article in the Thomasville Times yesterday quoted the owner of the group that sponsors the Post 87 team as anticipating 13 or 14 teams.
I tried to read article, but was blocked since I am not a subscriber. He is correct, There will probably be more counting Junior and Senior. I will have more info tonight.

Of course nothing is happening without restrictions being lifted. I understand the Governor may announce some things today at his 3pm news conference.

I tried to read article, but was blocked since I am not a subscriber. He is correct, There will probably be more counting Junior and Senior. I will have more info tonight.

Of course nothing is happening without restrictions being lifted. I understand the Governor may announce some things today at his 3pm news conference.

the article is on the Thomasville times facebook page

Based on the Governor’s timeline today and Greg Suire’s timeline in the article, it’s gonna be tight. I don’t see gatherings with over 50 until mid-July at best.

Based on the Governor’s timeline today and Greg Suire’s timeline in the article, it’s gonna be tight. I don’t see gatherings with over 50 until mid-July at best.
For sure June 30 without any additional hiccups.

well mid July be to late to start ? if they start that late they may have let the top 2 teams in each area go to the state tournament without a area playoff or have 16 team state tournament (top 4 teams during regular season in each area)

well mid July be to late to start ? if they start that late they may have let the top 2 teams in each area go to the state tournament without a area playoff or have 16 team state tournament (top 4 teams during regular season in each area)
Baseball,

There had been no talk of state playoffs. This will be on local area only. Season would be completed by first weekend in August to allow for football.

The Thomasville team shares the field with the Coastal Plain League team, which would normally start their season at the end of May. Some choices may have to be made with two or three teams trying to share a field with a compressed season.

Coastal Plains League postponed their season until July 1. Usually start end of May. Starting then will surprise me.

Coastal Plains League postponed their season until July 1. Usually start end of May. Starting then will surprise me.
3 different states involved with this league, I am sure it makes things much more complicated.

The MAIN problem I see is finding fields to play the games?
The city owned fields in Thomasville and Lexington, like all of their recreation facilities, are closed indefinitely. Articles in the High Point Enterprise and Lexington Dispatch forecasting a start date of June 1. Won’t happen.
Organizational meetings in Thomasville scheduled for May 2nd, then postponed until May 9th. Neither will happen as the facility won’t reopen for at least six weeks per the Governor’s three phase plan.
Seems like this effort needs some organization. It’s commendable, but articles like these damage its credibility.

Reactions: Hon Dines
The city owned fields in Thomasville and Lexington, like all of their recreation facilities, are closed indefinitely. Articles in the High Point Enterprise and Lexington Dispatch forecasting a start date of June 1. Won’t happen.
Organizational meetings in Thomasville scheduled for May 2nd, then postponed until May 9th. Neither will happen as the facility won’t reopen for at least six weeks per the Governor’s three phase plan.
Seems like this effort needs some organization. It’s commendable, but articles like these damage its credibility.
are school fields available ?

are school fields available ?
No. In Thomasville, the school plays at Finch Field, owned by the city. It’s also the home of the Post 87 American Legion jr. and sr. teams and the CPL Hi-Toms. It’s closed for the foreseeable future.
I can’t imagine East Davidson, Ledford or Oak Grove would make their fields available when the schools can’t use them.

Won’t matter if they’re public or private if gatherings are limited to....let’s say 25, 50 or 100.

are minor league fields privately own. ?

i am sure some legion teams own their baseball field
Don’t know about all leagues, but most Coastal Plains League teams rent fields owned by the municipality where they’re located. But the bigger issue is when the state and local governments allow large gatherings for anything....ball games, festivals, etc.. No matter who owns the field, those rules prevail.

american legion need to start a league for players born 2001 sense they cant play this years, if they are allowed to play with player born in 2002 and after , that would keep some players born in 2002 and after from getting to play, regularly, even if they increase the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT