ADVERTISEMENT

New Realignment

Or you could just take the 4 non-Forsyth schools from both the Northwest 1A and the Western Piedmont 2A to form a Northwest 1A/2A and just leave the Mountain Valley the way that it is.

Mount Airy
East Surry
North Stokes
South Stokes

North Surry
Surry Central
West Stokes
Forbush

This was literally the Northwest conference I played in for N Surry in 2009/10 except for Bishop being in Forbush's spot.. it made great gates for everyone and the rivalries were good. But Bishop and North Stokes had to object over renewing it and it got axed; stupidest thing the state ever did. The latter school especially made a fuss. We got put in the red headed stepchild conference and the NW has devolved into nothing. To make it worst North Stokes's HC and AD had to tuck his stuff in and ran away once it all got out and got ugly.. totally not shady at all

We pushed for it in 2016 as the Surry/Stokes conference but state wanted none of it taking the Forsyth schools's sides; Forbush didn't help us either because they wanted back in the MVAC despite being no room for them when we offered them a spot. So dumb. If the state would look out for everyone for a change instead of the Forsyth schools firstly they could do a lot of good; but alas I doubt it. If they ever do change things I'll give them credit.

Reactions: realjoejr
your right i remember being told that south stokes took kids not just from walnut cove, but also king, winston-salem, and even greensboro, all before West stokes came around. From what i hear it seems like the NCHSAA wants single classification conferences. I just want your input what do you think matters more: That you have a 1A only conference so that we are all at the same "level" playing field. Or do we go 1A/2A where its geographically better, better rivalries in-conference, and higher gate numbers. and the only difference would be lower ADM schools playing higher ADM schools in conference?
South Stokes was basically just a few miles from Walnut Cove and the students in the West Stokes & Walnut Cove basically were in South Stokes and North Stokes district but some were much closer to East Surry. Stokes county line is only about 3 or 4 miles from East Surry :eek::eek: not suggesting anything wrong, just an observation of how far some had to travel to North & South Stokes before West Stokes was built !

Last edited:
This was literally the Northwest conference I played in for N Surry in 2009/10 except for Bishop being in Forbush's spot.. it made great gates for everyone and the rivalries were good. But Bishop and North Stokes had to object over renewing it and it got axed; stupidest thing the state ever did. The latter school especially made a fuss. We got put in the red headed stepchild conference and the NW has devolved into nothing. To make it worst North Stokes's HC and AD had to tuck his stuff in and ran away once it all got out and got ugly.. totally not shady at all

We pushed for it in 2016 as the Surry/Stokes conference but state wanted none of it taking the Forsyth schools's sides; Forbush didn't help us either because they wanted back in the MVAC despite being no room for them when we offered them a spot. So dumb. If the state would look out for everyone for a change instead of the Forsyth schools firstly they could do a lot of good; but alas I doubt it. If they ever do change things I'll give them credit.
I just wish for a change cause when I was at MA the conference was,
Mount Airy
East Surry
North Stokes
Bishop McGuinness
Atkins
Walkertown
W-S Prep
Much like it is now except S. Stokes moved down and Atkins and Walkertown moved up. Last year Surry Central had to drop their Mount Airy game to make room for North Forsyth and I know that you will have more fans at a MA vs. SC game than a Surry Central vs. North Forsyth. more than an MA vs Bishop game. I can only imagine what people were thinking when Bishop joined the NW1A in 2005, oh my goodness. I don't understand why Forbush would want to be in a conference where they have to travel to Ashe County for a conference game not just football but for all sports. and I'm shocked to hear that about North Stokes. if I were them I would want to play in-county teams every year in conference. But i'm all for not having any schools from Forsyth county in the NW1A.

I just wish for a change cause when I was at MA the conference was,
Mount Airy
East Surry
North Stokes
Bishop McGuinness
Atkins
Walkertown
W-S Prep
Much like it is now except S. Stokes moved down and Atkins and Walkertown moved up. Last year Surry Central had to drop their Mount Airy game to make room for North Forsyth and I know that you will have more fans at a MA vs. SC game than a Surry Central vs. North Forsyth. more than an MA vs Bishop game. I can only imagine what people were thinking when Bishop joined the NW1A in 2005, oh my goodness. I don't understand why Forbush would want to be in a conference where they have to travel to Ashe County for a conference game not just football but for all sports. and I'm shocked to hear that about North Stokes. if I were them I would want to play in-county teams every year in conference. But i'm all for not having any schools from Forsyth county in the NW1A.

Dang you're a youngin lol. I played vs MA still in their glory days in my run.. and played West's tittle time as 10th graders. That conference I had was loaded. The Northwest should be that way every year. N Forsyth's a little better than the other Forsyth teams we played but they still didn't bring very much; they had maybe 20 people when they played us at North last year. Atkins brings 15; Carver brings close to 0.

The NW was super mad in 2004 when Bishop got put in.. East Surry was extremely unhappy because they wanted to keep playing Starmount but couldn't do to the extra conference game. MA had someone else scheduled and they had to drop them too. They wanted to put Bishop in the Yadkin Valley Conference and they refused to go. West Wilkes switched with Starmount to begin with and then they got put in.

N Stokes weren't the nicest program then.. Sessoms left and they hired a hotshot to take his spot and he never really had control over the program. It fell apart super fast once he left after he helped cause it; he wasted a good senior class they had in 2012. The guys that followed him had to rebuild everything pretty much. Still not 100% there yet.

Forbush founded the MVAC they honestly prefer that conference.. don't blame them as they just gotta get on 77 to 268 and they can get wherever they gotta go. They fit better there in terms of their athletic talent.

Reactions: realjoejr
Dang you're a youngin lol. I played vs MA still in their glory days in my run.. and played West's tittle time as 10th graders. That conference I had was loaded. The Northwest should be that way every year. N Forsyth's a little better than the other Forsyth teams we played but they still didn't bring very much; they had maybe 20 people when they played us at North last year. Atkins brings 15; Carver brings close to 0.

The NW was super mad in 2004 when Bishop got put in.. East Surry was extremely unhappy because they wanted to keep playing Starmount but couldn't do to the extra conference game. MA had someone else scheduled and they had to drop them too. They wanted to put Bishop in the Yadkin Valley Conference and they refused to go. West Wilkes switched with Starmount to begin with and then they got put in.

N Stokes weren't the nicest program then.. Sessoms left and they hired a hotshot to take his spot and he never really had control over the program. It fell apart super fast once he left after he helped cause it; he wasted a good senior class they had in 2012. The guys that followed him had to rebuild everything pretty much. Still not 100% there yet.

Forbush founded the MVAC they honestly prefer that conference.. don't blame them as they just gotta get on 77 to 268 and they can get wherever they gotta go. They fit better there in terms of their athletic talent.

I mean if forbush wants to be in the MVAC thats fine. And I had no idea about Bishop and the Yadkin Valley. But yeah i was at the North Surry vs. North Forsyth game last year at NS, only reason there were so many people was because it was homecoming I think. Sessoms is back in his 2nd stint with North Stokes and they had 4 wins last year, lets see what happens there. So based on gate numbers you think that they should go like they did '09-'12 but minus bishop or what realignment do you think brings the most gate numbers?

I mean if forbush wants to be in the MVAC thats fine. And I had no idea about Bishop and the Yadkin Valley. But yeah i was at the North Surry vs. North Forsyth game last year at NS, only reason there were so many people was because it was homecoming I think. Sessoms is back in his 2nd stint with North Stokes and they had 4 wins last year, lets see what happens there. So based on gate numbers you think that they should go like they did '09-'12 but minus bishop or what realignment do you think brings the most gate numbers?

East Surry & Mount Airy did everything they could to not have Bishop.
The hot shot at North Stokes was a huge reason for the conference getting WSPA and never being able to get rid of them. Everyone was on board for a new conference, except North Stokes.

Mount Airy City Schools is starting school a whole lot earlier than Surry County School does and because of this, I've heard that parents are transferring their kids at least from North Surry to Mount Airy. I wonder if the other schools in the Surry County Schools will follow? and if so how will this affect ADM Numbers for High school? Just wondering if any other counties are in this situation? because this could affect the realignment based on the changes in ADM numbers across these schools.

How are they starting earlier? The NCGA passed a bill for all traditional public schools to start the same day.

excuse me MACS and Surry county schools will start at the same time but MACS will start in person learning earlier than surry county will surry county has decided to go remote learning until at least september 17th.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
excuse me MACS and Surry county schools will start at the same time but MACS will start in person learning earlier than surry county will surry county has decided to go remote learning until at least september 17th.

That makes more sense. I'm shocked Mount Airy isn't going virtual. Elkin is I do believe.

Septemeber 1st is still the date for fall sports but as always it can be subject to change. Which makes me wonder how they will make up there two games against Starmount and West Stokes that were scheduled in late August if they do at all.

A lot of kids are trying to transfer to MACS from SCS just for the in person learning starting earlier and MACS are accepting students but SCS are sending denial letter to kids that have already been approved by MACS.

Septemeber 1st is still the date for fall sports but as always it can be subject to change. Which makes me wonder how they will make up there two games against Starmount and West Stokes that were scheduled in late August if they do at all.

I would say if the season starts the first 2 weeks won't get rescheduled or football season will be extended and winter start possibly pushed back.

I don't really think they will be but one could if 2 of the 3 teams have the same open week. Mount Airy's is Week 6 Sept (25). Open

If Forbush would rather be in the MVAC, then do you think that Starmount and Elkin would agree to be in the Northwest or not?

I'd say Elkin, Starmount, East Wilkes, and Alleghany want to stay together at all cost.
Well if the Northwest stays 1A and not 1A/2A, then I'd want,
Mount Airy
East Surry
North Stokes
South Stokes
Elkin
Starmount
East Wilkes
Alleghany
But I really don't know what the NCHSAA could do. It's anybody's guess.

If the Northwest becomes 1A/2A, what are the chances that this realignment does involve a team from forsyth county such as walkertown and others

If the Northwest becomes 1A/2A, what are the chances that this realignment does involve a team from forsyth county such as walkertown and others
I hope no Forsyth team is allowed in the Northwest Conference or the WPAC. They only bring maybe 30 fans to their away games. That is why they want to play in the NWC & WPAC because they carry a large fan base and Forsyth wants outside the county money flowing in !

I hope no Forsyth team is allowed in the Northwest Conference or the WPAC. They only bring maybe 30 fans to their away games. That is why they want to play in the NWC & WPAC because they carry a large fan base and Forsyth wants outside the county money flowing in !
with that being said what are the chances that no schools from stokes will be included. Will they play in the Northwest or could they play with forsyth or rockingham county schools. cause ive seen makups and projected realignments where all stokes schools are not in the Northwest

I could see a conference of:

North Stokes
South Stokes
WSP
Bishop
Carver
NC Leadership Academy
Cornerstone Charter

And another of

Starmount
Elkin
Alleghany
East Wilkes
North Wilkes
Mount Airy
East Surry
Surry Central

North Stokes
South Stokes
WSP
Bishop
Carver
NC Leadership Academy
Cornerstone Charter

And another of

Starmount
Elkin
Alleghany
East Wilkes
North Wilkes
Mount Airy
East Surry
Surry Central

See I dont know if the NCHSAA will raise the 1A ADM limit to around 700 for that to work but if they do then that brings more possibilities. cause i know that Surry Central, North Wilkes, and Carver are 2A right now. and if that happens I figure that North and South Stokes will lose money because of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder_struck8712

North Stokes
South Stokes
WSP
Bishop
Carver
NC Leadership Academy
Cornerstone Charter

And another of

Starmount
Elkin
Alleghany
East Wilkes
North Wilkes
Mount Airy
East Surry
Surry Central

the gates for conference 2 will be outstanding, as well as the natural rivalries being restored.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
ok so I have been thinking about new realignments for the Northwest 1A conference and I have narrowed it down to 3 solutions one option is a 1A only and the other 2 options are 1A/2A. here is the first option that is only 1A

Mount Airy
East Surry
Elkin
East Wilkes
Alleghany
Starmount
North Stokes
South Stokes

I like this one because it's simple nothing too complicated about it if you just want to keep the NW conference strickly 1A only. the next one is one of the two options that includes 1A and 2A schools

Mount Airy
North Surry
East Surry
Surry Central
North Stokes
South Stokes
West Stokes
Walkertown

I like this one because these teams know each other very well and I mean VERY well. If I had to have one team in the NW conference from Forsyth county it would have to be Walkertown. they are the only team from Forsyth county that has competed well against these other schools especially Mount Airy and East Surry when they (Walkertown) were in the NW1A. My final realignment setup is also 1A/2A and is one of my favorites

Mount Airy
North Surry
East Surry
Surry Central
Elkin
Starmount
Forbush
West Stokes

You wanna talk about being competitive? I believe that this realignment is the best possible scenario for competitive schools, and these schools will bring great gate numbers I believe across the board. I believe that realignment is so important because for example this year if my school is in a conference with 8 schools in it, then my schedule is already set. And that is why the realignment is so important that we have to get it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT