ADVERTISEMENT

New Realignment

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
When will the NCHSAA release the new realignment for the next 4 years or will they finally go to a 2-year realignment for which I think maybe a good idea to try for the next 4 years with a 2-year realignment and if it doesn't work they can go back to 4 years. I sort of like Simmonsrating realignment for the Northwest Conference Conference #11 1A, 1AA. http://www.simmonsratings.com/realignment.htm
Any other input, ideas welcome.

Last edited:
2 year alignments would be the best option honestly but that's just a start; their whole process needs to change, and be modernized. Schools need to be allowed to appeal and challenge set ups that allow them to suffer. Smaller schools shouldn't be able to boss bigger ones around, and more populated counties shouldn't be allowed to have priority in setups of conferences. There's a lot of good they can do but given who is in charge I don't expect it anytime soon. They want things to stay the way they are.. not smart.

Simmons's projection here stinks all the way around.. Northwest gets off the best they have in a while, but the 2A conferences are an absolute joke. It's more or less the same sucky set up but Northwest gets off scott free this time instead of the MVAC while everyone else suffers if this even ever comes close to happening. There is absolutely no reason why Ashe, WC, and West Wilkes should have to go to Caldwell or Burke county for a conference game while they could have us in the MVAC and just come to Toast or East Bend and Dobson. The travel times would be WAY less and the gates would be a lot more.

2A conference 8 and conference 14 are terribly set up. Take us and Forbush out of 8 and put us in 14 and move Surry Central up to 2A and that would be perfect. To replace us in 8 they could put HP Andrews in and that would make a fun and very solid conference. Also Starmount with the Winston schools instead of the Northwest is just plain loony tunes. Only good thing here is that North Forsyth is a 3A again where they should be to begin with.

I don't know what Simmons is smoking but it's really wack. Must be what they like in the NCHSAA office :rolleyes:o_O

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Is it this year or next spring the realignment is renewed ? I can't keep up with anything anymore. I used to always be on top of things but can't anymore as good as a couple of years back.

2 year alignments would be the best option honestly but that's just a start; their whole process needs to change, and be modernized. Schools need to be allowed to appeal and challenge set ups that allow them to suffer. Smaller schools shouldn't be able to boss bigger ones around, and more populated counties shouldn't be allowed to have priority in setups of conferences. There's a lot of good they can do but given who is in charge I don't expect it anytime soon. They want things to stay the way they are.. not smart.

Simmons's projection here stinks all the way around.. Northwest gets off the best they have in a while, but the 2A conferences are an absolute joke. It's more or less the same sucky set up but Northwest gets off scott free this time instead of the MVAC while everyone else suffers if this even ever comes close to happening. There is absolutely no reason why Ashe, WC, and West Wilkes should have to go to Caldwell or Burke county for a conference game while they could have us in the MVAC and just come to Toast or East Bend and Dobson. The travel times would be WAY less and the gates would be a lot more.

2A conference 8 and conference 14 are terribly set up. Take us and Forbush out of 8 and put us in 14 and move Surry Central up to 2A and that would be perfect. To replace us in 8 they could put HP Andrews in and that would make a fun and very solid conference. Also Starmount with the Winston schools instead of the Northwest is just plain loony tunes. Only good thing here is that North Forsyth is a 3A again where they should be to begin with.

I don't know what Simmons is smoking but it's really wack. Must be what they like in the NCHSAA office :rolleyes:o_O
Why would you move Surry Central up to 2A? According to the ADM's from Simmons they are not even the biggest 1A school in that conference.

Why would you move Surry Central up to 2A? According to the ADM's from Simmons they are not even the biggest 1A school in that conference.
Surry Central has been 2A sense the last realignment in the Western Piedmont Conference and maybe the early 2000s from looking at their ADMs back to 2002 and being 848 in 2004 and staying mainly in the high 700s. They have dropped since 2015 @ 799 - 2016 @ 786 - 2017 @ 781 2018 @ 715 and 2019 dropped to 687. They could drop to 1A but I am not sure what the cutoff will be this realignment.
Western Piedmont 2A Conference
North Forsyth
North Surry
Forbush
West Stokes
Surry Central
Atkin
Carver

Last edited:
I think mid 2000s was the last time they were 1A. I know they Won a few 1A XC titles in the early 2000s and made 1A regionals in hoops in 04, but I think went back up the next realignment. They went 1A when they were mid 600s it looks like, before going back up around 800, but the cutoff was much higher back then, before the explosion of charter schools.

I got a feeling they will gain more kids.. but then again who knows with all this stuff. From what I understand they want to use 2020 numbers for the new alignment. It would make it all more pure than basing it off 2019's. School change so much these days it would be irresponsible to not have modern updated numbers or else you'd have a situation like at the start of the decade when I played when there were many teams way too big or small playing 2A ball. Berry Academy was playing 2AA ball with 4A numbers, and Monroe was 1A with 2AA #'s. Granted this situation is way different than then but the NCHSAA needs to do a better job. 2 year alignments would help a lot.

It's going to suck to have to use a non conference slot on Central; especially if we end up in an absolute dud of a conference due to them not being 2A anymore.

Slasher,
Why is it going to suck to use a non conference spot for Central if they are 1A. They are a county school and you will play them regardless. East Surry and Mt Airy uses a non conference slot every year for North and Central and they are both in a “dud” conference and it hasn’t affected their success the past 3 years. Just curious what your reasoning is.
Because the MVAC had to add North Forsyth this past season, Mount Airy had to drop Surry Central for the first time as far back as I can remember, 1960 I guess. Mount Airy played Alleghany and Reidsville in place of Eden Morehead and Surry Central from the year before and I think Eden Morehead was a 2-year deal replacing Carroll County, VA. I don't see not playing Surry Central lasting long because they ar a county school and North Surry, Mount Airy, Surry Central and East Surry keeps the larger gates in the county. Elkin seems to come and go on realignments but has been around a while now as the 5th county school. Elkin & Mount Airy are Surry County City schools and North Surry, Surry Central and East Surry are Surry County Schools.

If you look at Conference # 11 Surry Central is in with the 1As but not sure where the cut off is. North Wilkes is there also with 707 ADM and both were 2A. So we will find out sometime in the spring of 2021 I guess. All but those 2 were 1A. Will it be a split 1A-2A conference ?

Last edited:
Love the Simmons realignment proposals, going 30% for 1A/4A and sub-dividing playoffs (hopefully for all sports, not just FB). However, I don’t think the NCHSAA will go that route. My guess is they either stay with the 20/30/30/20 model from the last realignment or move back to a 25/25/25/25 model. We will see soon enough.

Reactions: CCBears
I still think 20 20 20 40 is what they should do. Sub divide 4A only and do it in all sports. It's essentially a way to get around the fact they technically can't go to 5 classifications.

Reactions: CCBears
  • I would imagine that come fall, if school even does start back, that every single public school in the state will have lower #'s than before. Homeschooling, preps, charters, etc. #'s will be higher. The western most counties in N.C. (particularly Haywood, Jackson, Macon, Transylvania, Madison) which are mostly 1A & 2A size areas, I think will eventually see a pretty big rise in #'s due to many people moving here to get out of the big cities. So, I look for realignment to be a pretty tricky thing for the next decade and on.

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
  • I would imagine that come fall, if school even does start back, that every single public school in the state will have lower #'s than before. Homeschooling, preps, charters, etc. #'s will be higher. The western most counties in N.C. (particularly Haywood, Jackson, Macon, Transylvania, Madison) which are mostly 1A & 2A size areas, I think will eventually see a pretty big rise in #'s due to many people moving here to get out of the big cities. So, I look for realignment to be a pretty tricky thing for the next decade and on.
Pisgah,

just curious, what are these people going to do for jobs when they move there?

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Not many retired people with school age kids.

Pisgah,

just curious, what are these people going to do for jobs when they move there?
What most of the people that move here do... Work in Asheville, Greenville, JC, Spartanburg, Hendo, Etc. and commute. There's also plenty of good paying jobs in and around this area outside of the mill, and in the right fields, believe it or not. Lol.

Not many retired people with school age kids.
Retirees have always moved here by the droves. That's nothing new. But lately, given Asheville's COL we've had a major rise in young people moving in and around us. Most of them are just hippies looking for some breweries and hiking trails but a lot of them do have kids, kids that will one day have to go to school somewhere...

Retirees have always moved here by the droves. That's nothing new. But lately, given Asheville's COL we've had a major rise in young people moving in and around us. Most of them are just hippies looking for some breweries and hiking trails but a lot of them do have kids, kids that will one day have to go to school somewhere...

fixing to see some good soccer players with that crowd procreating

Reactions: PisgahCatamount07
Working remote is the future for many positions. Going to the office every day or any at all is does not appear to be the norm that it once was.

Not really an option in a lot of WNC. And even if people want to start moving here in bunches, going to stifle growth for working age folks until there’s a fix to the internet problems

Not really an option in a lot of WNC. And even if people want to start moving here in bunches, going to stifle growth for working age folks until there’s a fix to the internet problems

Call your state representative and senator and demand broadband internet access across the whole state. Well past time for that to happen.

Call your state representative and senator and demand broadband internet access across the whole state. Well past time for that to happen.
Yeah, it's definitely past time for that to have happened. But, it's not like anyone in WNC hasn't been fighting for it. We have for over a decade now. It just falls on deaf ears, just like everything else that needs $ does in this area. Contradictory to the state map, it must actually end in Asheville because anything that requires $ doesn't ever make it west of Asheville...

Yeah, it's definitely past time for that to have happened. But, it's not like anyone in WNC hasn't been fighting for it. We have for over a decade now. It just falls on deaf ears, just like everything else that needs $ does in this area. Contradictory to the state map, it must actually end in Asheville because anything that requires $ doesn't ever make it west of Asheville...

Not to get political but I'll end with this. When they don't listen, vote them out. When the next one doesn't listen, vote them out. If there is a fear they might get voted out they'll start working for the people. Many parts of rural NC have been left behind but they keep sending the same people to represent them.

And those same people are killing their schools and allowing charters to take over. Rural NC is about to get left in the dust even further.

Last edited:
This conference will draw some great gates if the NCHCAA
will go for it ! 4 Surry County Teams and 3 MVC teams. NCHSAA shoulD want these gates !

Conference #11
North Wilkes 707
Surry Central 687
East Surry 588
East Wilkes 519
Mount Airy 509
Alleghany 406
Elkin 352

Last edited:
Reactions: WTBCH
Not to get political but I'll end with this. When they don't listen, vote them out. When the next one doesn't listen, vote them out. If there is a fear they might get voted out they'll start working for the people. Many parts of rural NC have been left behind but they keep sending the same people to represent them.

And those same people are killing their schools and allowing charters to take over. Rural NC is about to get left in the dust even further.
And now the whole 5G conspiracy theory that will turn even more people against technology and science. People talk about not living in fear, but many of the same folks believe that some huge cabal of rich folks and politicians are conspiring to control everything about our lives. And yet, they wholeheartedly clamor for tax cuts for those same people.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
I'd like to see a 1A/2A split conference that makes better sense geographically:
Mount Airy
North Surry
East Surry
Surry Central
Elkin
Starmount
Forbush
Now you talk about a good gate conference I think that this is it.
I mean 8 schools is a good number so maybe add North Stokes into the mix since North Stokes has been in the conference for a long time.
But if not then 7 schools are good.

I'd like to see a 1A/2A split conference that makes better sense geographically:
Mount Airy
North Surry
East Surry
Surry Central
Elkin
Starmount
Forbush
Now you talk about a good gate conference I think that this is it.
I mean 8 schools is a good number so maybe add North Stokes into the mix since North Stokes has been in the conference for a long time.
But if not then 7 schools are good.
That also sounds good and maybe better a gate.

Or you could just take the 4 non-Forsyth schools from both the Northwest 1A and the Western Piedmont 2A to form a Northwest 1A/2A and just leave the Mountain Valley the way that it is.

Mount Airy
East Surry
North Stokes
South Stokes

North Surry
Surry Central
West Stokes
Forbush

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Or you could just take the 4 non-Forsyth schools from both the Northwest 1A and the Western Piedmont 2A to form a Northwest 1A/2A and just leave the Mountain Valley the way that it is.

Mount Airy
East Surry
North Stokes
South Stokes

North Surry
Surry Central
West Stokes
Forbush
Minus West Stokes it seems like back in the 70s or very early 80s these schools were all in the Northwest 3A conference before some dropped to 2A then some on to 1A in the late 1980s or 1990s.South Stokes was 4A I believe before West Stokes was built I thin in the 1990s.and then they went to 3A 2A and as for last year 1A.

Minus West Stokes it seems like back in the 70s or very early 80s these schools were all in the Northwest 3A conference before some dropped to 2A then some on to 1A in the late 1980s or 1990s.South Stokes was 4A I believe before West Stokes was built I thin in the 1990s.and then they went to 3A 2A and as for last year 1A.
your right i remember being told that south stokes took kids not just from walnut cove, but also king, winston-salem, and even greensboro, all before West stokes came around. From what i hear it seems like the NCHSAA wants single classification conferences. I just want your input what do you think matters more: That you have a 1A only conference so that we are all at the same "level" playing field. Or do we go 1A/2A where its geographically better, better rivalries in-conference, and higher gate numbers. and the only difference would be lower ADM schools playing higher ADM schools in conference?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT