ADVERTISEMENT

New head football coach at Richmond

Is it time to reach out to retired coaches or small college assistants?

Is it time to bring Daryl Barnes back as a part time hire so he can keep his retirement in place and only coach football? When he is ready to call it quits they can then start the process up at the end of the season.

Barnes was told NO

That is correct. I wonder at the time that conversation happened if it was apparent at the issues they would face to get the position filled.

Why do you think the superintendent turned DB's offer down?

Everyone in Richmond county needs to know this and hold these people on this committee responsible for that.

Yeah, I'll call each committee member and tell them that some anonymous poster named Heel Yes is now holding them accountable. Accountable for what, I'm not sure. I am sure they would get a big kick out of this comedy act.

chirp...chirp....chirp..... zzzzzz. News flash. New coach to be named today. (or tomorrow....or soon as we get to it.) Seriously, no one who was pushing for a coaching change thought it would be so difficult. Amazing....

I think everyone knew it would be like pulling teeth to get this set changed. They have been entrenched since about 2000. They are fighting to stay in place

I think everyone knew it would be like pulling teeth to get this set changed. They have been entrenched since about 2000. They are fighting to stay in place

I doubt any HC would want to come into a situation where they have to fill all or even most of the assistant coaching positions. The assistants we have are good at their jobs and are needed and I will go out on a limb and say that most, if not all of them will be wanted by whomever is the next HC.

Man if we can get D. Barnes then RC just won the lottery......
Just don't see it happening 33...It would be nice , I'll agree with u on that one....BUT , a SC coach could be in the works.......Lost my basket on the last one , but I've found another one.....I'm walking towards the woods.....nuff said..

Twister, I disagree with your assessment of our assistant coaches. Some are good, some are not very good at all. When you're playing your 12th game of the season and your defensive backs can't even line up correctly, then you have a problem.

Twister, I disagree with your assessment of our assistant coaches. Some are good, some are not very good at all. When you're playing your 12th game of the season and your defensive backs can't even line up correctly, then you have a problem.

Assistant coaches and players both have to be coached up. Some are able to "get it" while others aren't. I too have noticed some issues late in the season with being correctly aligned but usually chalk it up to me not knowing what is called or why a coach might want someone to cheat a little, etc.

What has kept the committee from hiring a coach? Has it been salary issues? No quality applicants? Location of the school? Personal issues with applicants? Obviously something is wrong!

Just watch the game and missed tackles by certain position players and you know where the problem lies.........nuff said...

Rebel one how many defensive backs have you coached? How many meetings and flim have you watched to prepare that group of dbs last season? Who did Richmond play where the dbs alignment was so bad that it lost the Raiders a game? I'm curious since you can single out certain coaches and position group. Raiderstud are you referring to the dbs as well with that last comment?

Who is at fault when a kid has poor tackling technique?

Just curious. Or are u saying technique is perfect?

Rebel one how many defensive backs have you coached? How many meetings and flim have you watched to prepare that group of dbs last season? Who did Richmond play where the dbs alignment was so bad that it lost the Raiders a game? I'm curious since you can single out certain coaches and position group. Raiderstud are you referring to the dbs as well with that last comment?
75, I'm not calling out any player or position , but I'm not blind and I'm not stupid....Lets just say we had to MANY TACKLES MISSED PAST THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE....That's just my opinion....You can pick out the position.....nuff said...

Heel Yes the comment was made about alignment in the secondary. I didn't see alignment as an issue. As far as missed past the line of scrimmage, its 3 levels to a defense 2 of those levels are in front of the secondary. Run defense is a whole unit deal. Not saying secondary play was perfect but they held their own. To say a assistant is not good and go straight to a particular position coaches or coaches aren't good is a strong statement. What is that based on?

Raiderstud you made the comment so you tell us the position you are talking about! You pick the position since you are so experienced with every position on the field and know EVERYTHING about football!

Raiderstud you made the comment so you tell us the position you are talking about! You pick the position since you are so experienced with every position on the field and know EVERYTHING about football!
....Have you ever played or coached the 3rd level....Like I said , I'm not calling out anybody....Just my observation, we had to many missed open field tackles...Take that for what you want.....nuff said...

Just watch the game and missed tackles by certain position players and you know where the problem lies.........nuff said...

You are calling out somebody, indirectly! Sneek dissing! I might have played in the 3rd level or I may be just a fan of the game but I'm not on here agreeing with someone talking about a coach not being good like you are either. I asked you early have you coached dbs before? The comment about alignment and Rebel one saying that some assistant aren't good. Then, a comment was made about defensive backs. I'm curious how many of the people commenting know actual defensive back play? One of yall may be Nick Saban or Deion Sanders for all I know.

You are calling out somebody, indirectly! Sneek dissing! I might have played in the 3rd level or I may be just a fan of the game but I'm not on here agreeing with someone talking about a coach not being good like you are either. I asked you early have you coached dbs before? The comment about alignment and Rebel one saying that some assistant aren't good. Then, a comment was made about defensive backs. I'm curious how many of the people commenting know actual defensive back play? One of yall may be Nick Saban or Deion Sanders for all I know.
75, We're all fans of the game ....I'm not calling out any coach or player , believe me , I luv the Raiders as much as anybody....I'm just giving an observation that stood out to me at the games.....How many Friday nights did you see the Raiders this past year...nuff said..

That's fine. Rebel one was talking about a coach in my opinion! I understand that is your observation but my observation of your post was that you were in argeement with the "
I disagree with your assessment of our assistant coaches. Some are good, some are not very good at all.
. I saw them quite a bit! Openfield tackles can be missed by LBs too. Again run defense is a unit ordeal! This got started with an alignment comment and assistant not being good at all. Then a reference to defensive backs! Rebel one made those comments.

I haven't seen anything to call out a specific coach on either side of the ball. Many times young coaches are asked to coach positions they never played but are instructed on how to coach those positions. Probably the most egregious aspect defensively in the past few years was a CB that got beat at least once every game, but I can bet you his position coach was more exasperated with his performance than I was.

There is no real money in HS Football coaching, especially at the assistant level, therefore they are doing it for the love of the game. Our assistant coaches want to win every game just like we do. And they spend countless hours watching film and breaking it down both ours and our opponents. Then they spend even more time trying to disseminate what they have learned to the players. As I said before, some get it, and some don't. You still have to play the cards you are dealt. Win, lose, or draw.

I for one, appreciate the selfless hours they give to trying to put a winning team on the field. Thank you Coaches!

Y feel better? I can understand it but you still didn't go into detail about look at the positions where the missed tackles are coming from and there is where the problems lies comment? That's not calling out a coach?

Twister 1 you sure you saw a CB beat every game? Were they in man to man or cover 3? Or were they in Cover 2 or Cover 8 and the corner is suppose to have help over the top?

Y feel better? I can understand it but you still didn't go into detail about look at the positions where the missed tackles are coming from and there is where the problems lies comment? That's not calling out a coach?
You said you saw the RAIDER GAMES , AND YOU CLAIM TO KNOW ABOUT THE POSITIONS, SO MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS who missed tackles.........I have mine but I'll keep them to myself.....I'm just telling what I observed a lot in 2014.......Missed tackles past the line of scrimmage....Two of my favorite players on Defense were # 21 and # 8........nuff said..

I know a little bit. I'm not the type to observe just the negative in a situations. I look at the positives too. I'm also not going to make a decision on the subject either. Only reason I'm asking you about this because you got on this forum and spoke on it which is what these boards are for. With that being said, be ready to defend or state your case as well. Sometimes people like to fully understand a comment when its made......nuff said

Twister 1 you sure you saw a CB beat every game? Were they in man to man or cover 3? Or were they in Cover 2 or Cover 8 and the corner is suppose to have help over the top?

Two answers to your question. First, I am too danged old to remember what defense they were in back then. Second, I do know enough to recognize a cover 2, cover 3, man, etc. but have never heard of a cover 8. Seems like JJ would run a cover 0 (man) at times. There are times the CB might should have had help over the top but the safeties may have taken the run bait.

But for the sake of discussion, the play were we got beat by Britt at the end of the playoff game, the corner got beat on a sideline route. You tell me, was he supposed to have help? It's not like everyone in the stadium didn't know Britt would attack that area of the field.

Two answers to your question. First, I am too danged old to remember what defense they were in back then. Second, I do know enough to recognize a cover 2, cover 3, man, etc. but have never heard of a cover 8. Seems like JJ would run a cover 0 (man) at times. There are times the CB might should have had help over the top but the safeties may have taken the run bait.

But for the sake of discussion, the play were we got beat by Britt at the end of the playoff game, the corner got beat on a sideline route. You tell me, was he supposed to have help? It's not like everyone in the stadium didn't know Britt would attack that area of the field.
I was talking about a defensive coach but only as an example. The defensive ends did not contain many times either. There, I spread the blame a little. Make you feel any better know the game? And yes I played and yes I know the difference between cover 2, cover 3, and man. Still doesn't change the fact that we continually made uncorrected mental mistakes all season long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT