ADVERTISEMENT

New head football coach at Richmond

Ahh...nothing like full scale panic among those who hated on Hoggard. Who will the haters hate on now?

The true Richmond fan sticks by their team. The members of the Richmond Elitist Society have their excuse when they flame out in the second round of the playoffs...no HC during spring practice. It doesn't matter that games aren't won in May, but they have their flimsy excuse.

drawplay what is the yearly salary they are offering? Also, do they want the new HC to do any teaching?

have no info as far as salary....and i know with him being AD at MC he didnt teach any classes so not sure if thats on the table

I agree with the board , if you want to be a head coach in RC live in RC.....I know you say a former coach did not live in RC.....I really liked him also as everybody else did, ....He was a great people person .....Coach Hoggard could probably get credit for those wins , from what I've been told he called a lot of the shots, and ran most of the practices.. ....If you have confidence in yourself take a 2 year contract and get the job done and get an extension....I really did not like the 8 member committee, just to many ....But I think they will get us a good head coach....We've waited this long , why rush it now...Teams work on unity , ball skills , techniques, timing, routes and fundamentals during Spring practice...Experiments looking at kids at different positions as well.....I'm sure the staff we have can get it done as good as anybody if not better......Williams , Denson or Kisler would make good head coaches....nuff said...
Ahh...nothing like full scale panic among those who hated on Hoggard. Who will the haters hate on now?

The true Richmond fan sticks by their team. The members of the Richmond Elitist Society have their excuse when they flame out in the second round of the playoffs...no HC during spring practice. It doesn't matter that games aren't won in May, but they have their flimsy excuse.
Hey Earhard, you need to stay up at W M with those boys and stay out of the BIG BOYS BUSINESS...FINALLY FIGURED YOU OUT...FOR SURE NOT A RAIDER FAN , JUST TRYING TO STIR THINGS UP.....Ive got you down to 2- people,..........Dang , what a joke.......Former Raider hasbeen....nuff said..............

Last edited:
I'm starting to think draw000 is Boyd himself, someone related to Boyd, a committee member, someone related to a committee member, or someone completely full of hogwash.

Reactions: drawplay000
im boyds uncles neighbor on his sister side who use to wash his cousins aunts zebra during football season..so im in the know...thanks for playing there will be a test later...

I don't understand the living in the county issue, coaching or teaching. Look at how many people in the school system lives in another county from where they work. Look at the people that live in Richmond and work in Scotland or Moore and vise-versa.

Head coach of the Raider football team is a focal point of the community. I would want that coach to live in Richmond County preferably fairly close to the school. When a person moves to the area they coach in that is a sign of a stronger commitment and also the person will likely be more involved in the community. I agree totally with this.

I think part of the package should be to make the house payment / rent payment up to a certain amount for the first year for the new head coach. With things happening this late in the school year it is going to be tough for them to get their current home prepared for sale and sold. If they do sell it or plan to keep it allow still pay their first year payment/rent for the new home. Gee, that sounds like something that would be feasible.

I also think the position should pay the same amount that Hoggard made for year one with an increase of 5% for year two or the position should pay 5% more than what Hoggard made last year. That sounds like something that may be on the table also. When a strong HC is leaving a very good situation where he may have a better chance to win state titles $10,000 or $15,000 a year to uproot a family is not as enticing but showing that he is wanted makes it a little sweeter.

I agree with the board , if you want to be a head coach in RC live in RC.....I know you say a former coach did not live in RC.....I really liked him also as everybody else did, ....He was a great people person .....Coach Hoggard could probably get credit for those wins , from what I've been told he called a lot of the shots, and ran most of the practices.. ....If you have confidence in yourself take a 2 year contract and get the job done and get an extension....I really did not like the 8 member committee, just to many ....But I think they will get us a good head coach....We've waited this long , why rush it now...Teams work on unity , ball skills , techniques, timing, routes and fundamentals during Spring practice...Experiments looking at kids at different positions as well.....I'm sure the staff we have can get it done as good as anybody if not better......Williams , Denson or Kisler would make good head coaches....nuff said...

Hey Earhard, you need to stay up at W M with those boys and stay out of the BIG BOYS BUSINESS...FINALLY FIGURED YOU OUT...FOR SURE NOT A RAIDER FAN , JUST TRYING TO STIR THINGS UP.....Ive got you down to 2- people,..........Dang , what a joke.......Former Raider hasbeen....nuff said..............
Ok , figured it out..Coach K...Need I say more ...nuff said...

Congrats on being elected to the Greater Rockingham Chapter of the Richard Simmons fan club. I hope it doesn't interfere with your commitments to the Richmond Elitist Society.

I bet you dollars to doughnuts EF isn't connected to WM. 4 guys at WM coached at RSH and all would like to see the staff and kids do well and none are EF. As big a fan as you think you are, you are just a clown who knows a guy or two on staff. Sure you stand on the sidelines sometimes so I guess you are really cool, but obviously not smart enough to spell the last name of RC's most veteran coach. Instead of trying to guess/call people out when you don't really know who they are just be quiet once in a while and focus on spelling names correctly. NUF SAID. Haha see you later mang!
Come on Coach K.....Is that the best you can do with your" first" post ..........Changing names ha.............Just quit talking smack about the Raiders.....Nobody from RSH staff talking about your Warriors.......WE have a lot of respect for Coach E , he has done a wonderful job .....nuff said.....

Last edited:
The program must go on! If we have a new coach by the time things get underway or have whats there now when things really get underway either way the program must goes on! I have spoken to most of the guys that will be playing for the Raiders this year and majority of them seniors. I told them to continue to put and work and bring their best and don't worry about the things they can't control! God never did make a mistake and I am sure he's not making one now! God bless you all and families! The best is yet to come!

drawplay what is the yearly salary they are offering? Also, do they want the new HC to do any teaching?
First off, the RC HFC job is not a "teaching position." It has been classified (I'm pretty sure) as a Guidance position for years. Second, the only folks in NC that are extended contracts exceeding 1-yr. in term are Administrators. Third, it is common practice in NC that initial (1st time) Administrator contracts are (... get ready for this ...) 2-years. There are no - I repeat NO HFBC's in NC that have a coaching contract that exceeds the calendar school year. No ... rather, ALL are @ will employees - any could/can be relieved of duties & removed from coaching w/out any reason ever being given. It's wrong ... but, it is what it is.

IF "Dean Boyd" has been offered any contract - as some of you (most intriguingly profess), said offer (IF it is written to exceed 1-yr. in length) is an administrative one in design/nature. It has nothing to do w/how long he can/could/will/would "coach" any team, in ANY sport. Some of the stuff many of you post is ... comical & mind-blowing, all @ the same time. I don't know where yall get your information from - but, from where ever it flows, it truly just does not ... Flow Well. There are factors @ play w/in & throughout all of this that many - if not most - just don't understand.

Bash this whole process all you want. This is whole process is largely attributable to the biggest & loudest bashers. Best of luck to the Raiders. I hope you guys get your man - & I hope he is the man your kids deserve. I pray the guy who the players deserve most has not been run off or scared away by those among your fan base who deserve him least.

God bless ...

Bullzye's comments were on the same lines with my thoughts. This 2 year-3 year battle didn't make any sense. If Boyd is the coach that he claims to be there would be no worries from him on the length of the deal anyway.

First off, the RC HFC job is not a "teaching position." It has been classified (I'm pretty sure) as a Guidance position for years. Second, the only folks in NC that are extended contracts exceeding 1-yr. in term are Administrators. Third, it is common practice in NC that initial (1st time) Administrator contracts are (... get ready for this ...) 2-years. There are no - I repeat NO HFBC's in NC that have a coaching contract that exceeds the calendar school year. No ... rather, ALL are @ will employees - any could/can be relieved of duties & removed from coaching w/out any reason ever being given. It's wrong ... but, it is what it is.

IF "Dean Boyd" has been offered any contract - as some of you (most intriguingly profess), said offer (IF it is written to exceed 1-yr. in length) is an administrative one in design/nature. It has nothing to do w/how long he can/could/will/would "coach" any team, in ANY sport. Some of the stuff many of you post is ... comical & mind-blowing, all @ the same time. I don't know where yall get your information from - but, from where ever it flows, it truly just does not ... Flow Well. There are factors @ play w/in & throughout all of this that many - if not most - just don't understand.

Bash this whole process all you want. This is whole process is largely attributable to the biggest & loudest bashers. Best of luck to the Raiders. I hope you guys get your man - & I hope he is the man your kids deserve. I pray the guy who the players deserve most has not been run off or scared away by those among your fan base who deserve him least.

God bless ...
You are exactly right. Darrel Barns was the first head coach to get the Guidance position. The Ad jobs have been an Assistant Principal. George Whitfield was an assistant Principal. Jerry Goodman and Hal Shuler were also assistant principals. I am not sure after that. Richmond had a rule that a coach could not be the AD. As at the time the AD job was not funded by the State so the requirement that the AD be an assistant Principal. The current AD is the baseball coach and is the first time in school history that the AD has been allowed to Coach. I don't know what he teaches. The rule about the AD not being allowed to Coach was made when the school first opened. Bill Eutsler was the first AD at Richmond. Due to the rivalry between Rockingham and Hamlet they did not want a fight over who would be a head Coach and Athletic Director. Hamlet at the time had George Whitfield a hall of fame baseball coach. I don't remember who their AD was. By the way George is 78 years old and is still coaching. His team won a conference championship in the private league they play in this year.

Last edited:
Well seeing how Hoggard was treated..winning a lot of games doesn't keep the wolves from your backdoor...what coach in his right mind would agree to just a one year contract..there is always growing pains the first year..new offenses and defenses..if you don't get at least two you shooting your own self in the foot

Bullzye's comments were on the same lines with my thoughts. This 2 year-3 year battle didn't make any sense. If Boyd is the coach that he claims to be there would be no worries from him on the length of the deal anyway.

Thank you EF and Bullzye for completing the circle on my thoughts.

Well seeing how Hoggard was treated..winning a lot of games doesn't keep the wolves from your backdoor...what coach in his right mind would agree to just a one year contract..there is always growing pains the first year..new offenses and defenses..if you don't get at least two you shooting your own self in the foot
If I understand this correctly and from my experience as a teacher I agree with it. No school system in NC can offer more than a one year contract to a teacher. Coaches must fill a teaching or support position (guidance counselor) and thus can only get a one year contract. Administrators are not allowed to Coach under NC law if I remember correctly. If nothing else Richmond hiring a new coach is an educational experience for most everyone on this board. It is amazing what the average fan does not know about NC laws and the school systems.

Is the committee not made up mostly of private citizens?

What are the employment positions the committee members hold?

From the Daily Journal...

Richmond County Schools superintendent Dr. Cindy Goodman is leading an eight-person interview committee to select the next football coach. Joining Goodman on the committee are: Dr. Jeff Maples, associate superintendent for curriculum and instruction; Dennis Quick, executive director for auxiliary services; Julian Carter, executive director of human resources; Richmond principal Keith McKenzie; assistant principal Daryl Mason; athletic director Ricky Young; and Rohanen Middle principal and former RSHS football coach and athletic director Hal Shuler.

Most if not all are in Richmond County.

First off, the RC HFC job is not a "teaching position." It has been classified (I'm pretty sure) as a Guidance position for years. Second, the only folks in NC that are extended contracts exceeding 1-yr. in term are Administrators.
God bless ...

Thanks Bullzye. I knew in the past I had been told that all coaches were 1 year contracts but was not certain enough to argue the point with those posting otherwise.

FYI! It does not take 8 people to pick a Head High School football Coach anywhere in America. There lies the problem. It is not that serious!

Let me get this straight. The search committee has went all in with a coach that has never beaten them?
I LIKE

I_LIKE.jpg

Last edited:
They need to replace 40+ retiring/relocating teachers before they worry about a football coach IMO.

Maybe that's why the process is taking so long. Goodman has bigger fish to fry than a simple football coach.

Why do you believe their not accepting?

Someone speculated early on in the search that "Maybe the juice wasn't worth the squeeze."

I would imagine money and family not necessarily in that order would be the biggest factors.

What the Raiders need is a single hermit super-coach or a coach with a deaf family.

...what coach in his right mind would agree to just a one year contract..there is always growing pains the first year..new offenses and defenses..if you don't get at least two you shooting your own self in the foot
If Bullzye is right does that mean no coaches in NC are in their right mind?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT