ADVERTISEMENT

New Hanover 27, AC Reynolds 17

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Courtesy of James Alverson NCHSAA

3AA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP – New Hanover topples A.C. Reynolds 27-17 to claim fourth state title

DURHAM – In a back-and-forth affair that saw the lead change hands five times, New Hanover got the better of A.C. Reynolds, 27-17, capturing the school’s fourth NCHSAA State Championship in football.

Both teams exhibited great balance offensively, with A.C. Reynolds slightly outgaining the Wildcats 353-330 in the game. Wiz Vaughn opened the scoring with a three-yard touchdown run with 4:30 to play in the second quarter, giving the Wildcats a 7-0 lead. He added another touchdown later with 6:07 to go to help New Hanover pull away to a 27-17 lead.

Vaughn was the championship M.V.P. scoring twice and picking up 74 yards on 18 carries. He also hauled in six receptions for 50 yards on the night.

A.C. Reynolds answered Vaughn’s score with 1:12 to go before half when Alex Flinn found the end zone on a 10-yard run. The Rockets took the lead for the first time in the early third quarter on a 29-yard field gol by Cole Tanner.

New Hanover’s next play from scrimmage saw Blake Walston hit Cole Tanner for a 75-yard pass for score, putting the Wildcats back in front 14-10 with 8:40 to go in the third. Reynolds marched their next possession 9 plays and covered 55 yards as Nathan St. Onge found Talon James from 8-yards out for touchdown giving the Rockets a 17-14 lead.

New Hanover answered the bell again, going 8 plays and 63 yards as Walston went across on the ground from one yard out, putting the Wildcats in front for good at 20-17. Walston was named New Hanover’s Most Outstanding Offensive Player with 206 yards passing, completing 12 of 22 attempts. He had two touchdowns, one through the air and one via the running game.

Defensively the Wildcats were led by Francis Meehan who had six tackles and an interception in the game. He was named New Hanover’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player. Frank Torres took home the same award for A.C. Reynolds, making 3.5 tackles and breaking up a pass. I’dre Bell was the Most Outstanding Offensive player for the Rockets, rushing for 75 yards on 13 carries and catching seven passes for 56 yards.

New Hanover won the school’s first state championship since 1951, their fourth overall. The Wildcats won back-to-back championships in 1927 and 1928. New Hanover also holds a Division II championship from 1983.

GAME AWARDS

West (A.C. Reynolds) Most Outstanding Defensive Player – Frank Torres

West (A.C. Reynolds) Most Outstanding Offensive Player – I’dre Bell

East (New Hanover) Most Outstanding Defensive Player – Francis Meehan

East (New Hanover) Most Outstanding Offensive Player – Blake Walston

Championship M.V.P. – Wiz Vaughn

Really busy end of week and Saturday morning for me - family stuff that comes before sports - even my NHHS Wildcats. I was worn out. Called my daughter and told her I probably wasnt going to make the trip and she said , “dad, you have been waiting a long time”. So I jumped in the car and headed to Durham.

I posted on the 2A thread that even if I left Durham heart broken that evening I counted myself lucky to have awoken Saturday morning with an opportunity for my team to be state champion.

I had a good feeling about my Cats - especially the coaching staff. I thought we would be competitive and have a chance to win.

The defense, which was one of the question marks preseason had become a pretty solid unit and the undersized but quick and strong OL had been performed well too.

I thought both teams played well in the 1st half and I was happy with the tie score at the half after being down by 2 scores the last two weeks. Was confident in our coaches to adjust at half time.

In the second half I watched Coach Smith’s adjustments. After the long TD pass I said, we are gonna open up the offense now - but Coach Smith changes gears and we go to ground and pound with Wiz and Canty. Without having all the stats I would say the 22 pass attempts by Walston would be his fewest on the year. Great arm and presence and will throw it into tight windows expecting his receivers to make a play.

I was impressed with ACR’s tackling. There were several plays where the Cat backs were a step from breaking a long run but hustle and effort brought them down. ACR is a good team and we were fortunate to win. Their defense is legit and they didn’t have a shortage of playmakers on the offensive side either.

On my way back to the car I passed some somber Rocket fans loading up for the trip back. I am old enough to know that easily could have been me. I started to stop and talk but what could I say? I am sure their love for their team is just and strong as mine. They weren’t talking amongst themselves and I didn’t bother them.

Fans love competition but competition requests, no, demands there be a winner and a loser.

I wonder if the excitement and week long anticipation would have been enough to offset some of the disappointment had we lost. Would the pain be tempered by the hope of opportunity? I hope it would have.

Last edited:
Really busy end of week and Saturday morning for me - family stuff that comes before sports - even my NHHS Wildcats. I was worn out. Called my daughter and told her I probably wasnt going to make the trip and she said , “dad, you have been waiting a long time”. So I jumped in the car and headed to Durham.

I posted on the 2A thread that even if I left Durham heart broken that evening I counted myself lucky to have awoken Saturday morning with an opportunity for my team to be state champion.

I had a good feeling about my Cats - especially the coaching staff. I thought we would be competitive and have a chance to win.

The defense, which was one of the question marks preseason had become a pretty solid unit and the undersized but quick and strong OL had been performed well too.

I thought both teams played well in the 1st half and I was happy with the tie score at the half after being down by 2 scores the last two weeks. Was confident in our coaches to adjust at half time.

In the second half I watched Coach Smith’s adjustments. After the long TD pass I said, we are gonna open up the offense now - but Coach Smith changes gears and we go to ground and pound with Wiz and Canty. Without having all the stats I would say the 22 pass attempts by Walston would be his fewest on the year. Great arm and presence and will throw it into tight windows expecting his receivers to make a play.

I was impressed with ACR’s tackling. There were several plays where the Cat backs a step from breaking a long run but hustle and effort brought them down. ACR is a good team and we were fortunate to win. Their defense is legit and they didn’t have a shortage of playmakers on the offensive side either.

On my way back to the car I passed some somber Rocket fans loading up for the trip back. I am old enough to know that easily could have been me. I started to stop and talk but what could I say? I am sure their love for their team is just and strong as mine. They weren’t talking amongst themselves and I didn’t bother them.

Fans love competition but competition requests, no, demands there be a winner and a loser.

I wonder if the excitement and week long anticipation would have been enough to offset some of the disappointment had we lost. Would the pain be tempered by the hope of opportunity? I hope it would have.
I really thought the new Hanover defense was really good but the most glaring thing was how little pressure Reynolds got on walston. Last week against sun valley Reynolds was in Howells face all night and I don't even think walston got touched. He had all damn day back there to throw and he had a rocket for an arm. Man he was a rangy qb who could make some throws.

Why can't we ever get anybody like that? Lol

Walston has sneaky athleticism and looks too lanky to scramble like he does but I am curious to see if he plays football next year with his commitment to baseball. If he does play football will he improve enough to get major football offers or he may never see college and get drafted by MLB.

Per an article I read, he wasn't even going to play football this year. Has already signed to play baseball at NCSU. Many think he will be drafted high enough that he will not play college baseball. Unaware of any football offers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT