ADVERTISEMENT

New Central Carolina 2A Conference

EDEagle66

Oct 29, 2014
Does anyone have any idea what the new CCC is going to look like? From what I heard/understand it is going to be a split 2A/1A conference. I think South Davidson and Thomasville are going to make up the 1A side of the house.

North Rowan South Davidson Thomasville
East Davidson (2A) Lexington (2A) Salisbury (2A) West Davidson (2A)

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
North Rowan South Davidson Thomasville
East Davidson (2A) Lexington (2A) Salisbury (2A) West Davidson (2A)
This is tough conference. I do wonder , what has happened to Thomasville and Lexington. In the past these schools were great in football

I feel sorry for South Davidson here.. talk about a rough situation. They might as well have "Whipping Post," by the Allman brothers on repeat every year because that will be the next 4 years for them in a nutshell.

State shoulda put them in that weird conference with Carver and those private schools.. they could compete a little better in there.

As for the conference it will be Salisbury's playpen until someone steps up and knocks them off but I don't see it happening for at least 2 more years. Their HC has their system and culture fixed so tight; that's hard to beat. North Rowan has the best chance as of now on paper but I'd rate Salisbury as better overall.

Thomasville and especially Lexington's new HC's need time to get settled. Lexington's atmosphere has gotten so bad it's pretty much nuked. Ever since their coach in the late 00's left their program has been a shell of what it once was. Their rock bottom was that beyond dumb hire of Holman.. they were just asking for a nightmare of a season and they got one. Still haven't recovered from it. Thomasville is in much better shape.. their talent pool is just not what it once was but the new coach seems potentially decent.

Excited to see what West Davidson can do with the new head coach.. they have all the goods to be competitive they just can't seem to put it together. I think they could be if they get the breaks and make the most of it.

Thomasville has the talent. Just not the numbers. Their coach won a state championship at Page. They were 16-8 under Coach Robertson in 2018-19 playing in a conference with much larger schools and won some games against the top teams other than Salisbury. I agree Salisbury is the top dog at present. After that, I think Thomasville will fare very well against the rest. They won’t dominate 1A as they once did, but they’ll be very competitive.

Salisbury after back to back state finals is the team to beat. They lost some major players on the O/D line and at QB and some skill guys. The coach has the system rolling so we will see if they can reload like they have the last 2-3 years. The advantage they have is the kids on the roster have played in big time games in the previous CCC and playoffs and that will set them apart this coming season.

Thomasville has as good a skill position lineup as they have had in many seasons. They lack depth on the O/D line and numbers continue to be an issue. They will be bigger than they have been recently on both the O/D line but just need to add some depth. A full JV team would be a major plus for the Bulldogs also. They kids coming from the middle school are talented, fast and big so the future could be bright. They have played competitively with OG, ND, CD, and Ledford beating all of them except Ledford so this new league will not be that hard for them.

NR is always a good looking team on paper and off the bus. Can they win at the next level after a relatively easy conference slate other than THS and Salisbury is the big question. How they have not won a state football title still baffles me. NR was not as good as they have been lately but are still hard to beat when they are clicking on all cylinders and not getting stupid penalties. They have too much speed for ED, WD and SD to compete with them.

Lexington is bad right now but has the potential to be better and get in the mix of things in a few seasons. Can the new coach, admin and the AD get things right and get more kids eligible and active to compete is the big question. Lexington is losing kids to all the county schools that border them so trying to stop that flow is another key to their potential success.

East and West will continue to be East and West. They will beat each other and SD to fight for staying out of last place. Other than a few good seasons ED is not a good football school and lacks the athletes to compete for the crown in this league. West is the same as they have been. Lots of kids from a relatively small school, a few athletes but no big expectations other than competing at times. Maybe that will change with the new coach and staff.

SD will be at the bottom and take some major beat downs from the higher tier teams in this new league. The key to ED, WD and SD having decent seasons is finding winnable games in non-conference.

2021 Prediction:

Salisbury
THS/NR
East
West
Lexington
South

Salisbury, Thomasville, and North Rowan will be top three. As mentioned earlier SHS will have to fill some holes. They are proven to be winners. How long can they sustain success and can their coach keep it going?
Coach Gillespie at THS is a proven winner. He did a good job at THS and is building on what Robertson did there. The biggest issue was there was no JV team last season to prepare kids for the future.
North is as talented and athletic as most teams you will see. They have played I. A terribly weak conference for several years with a lot of travel, so I’m sure they’re happy to be back in the CCC. Again no Jv last year.
WD and ED battle for 4th and 5th in league. If Hanner can build in his flexbone offense they could be a frustrating team. Billings at West is a steady dude and adding Mitchum into the fold is huge.
Lexington has a long way to go and was awful last year with no JV team.
South will be most people’s homecoming. I wish they could have more success. Hate the difficulties for the kids and coaches but it how sports are sometimes.

Salisbury after back to back state finals is the team to beat. They lost some major players on the O/D line and at QB and some skill guys. The coach has the system rolling so we will see if they can reload like they have the last 2-3 years. The advantage they have is the kids on the roster have played in big time games in the previous CCC and playoffs and that will set them apart this coming season.

Thomasville has as good a skill position lineup as they have had in many seasons. They lack depth on the O/D line and numbers continue to be an issue. They will be bigger than they have been recently on both the O/D line but just need to add some depth. A full JV team would be a major plus for the Bulldogs also. They kids coming from the middle school are talented, fast and big so the future could be bright. They have played competitively with OG, ND, CD, and Ledford beating all of them except Ledford so this new league will not be that hard for them.

NR is always a good looking team on paper and off the bus. Can they win at the next level after a relatively easy conference slate other than THS and Salisbury is the big question. How they have not won a state football title still baffles me. NR was not as good as they have been lately but are still hard to beat when they are clicking on all cylinders and not getting stupid penalties. They have too much speed for ED, WD and SD to compete with them.

Lexington is bad right now but has the potential to be better and get in the mix of things in a few seasons. Can the new coach, admin and the AD get things right and get more kids eligible and active to compete is the big question. Lexington is losing kids to all the county schools that border them so trying to stop that flow is another key to their potential success.

East and West will continue to be East and West. They will beat each other and SD to fight for staying out of last place. Other than a few good seasons ED is not a good football school and lacks the athletes to compete for the crown in this league. West is the same as they have been. Lots of kids from a relatively small school, a few athletes but no big expectations other than competing at times. Maybe that will change with the new coach and staff.

SD will be at the bottom and take some major beat downs from the higher tier teams in this new league. The key to ED, WD and SD having decent seasons is finding winnable games in non-conference.

2021 Prediction:

Salisbury
THS/NR
East
West
Lexington
South

I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly. Couldn’t agree more. I also congratulate you on being one of the half dozen people left on earth who still see potential when it comes to Lexington athletics. I admire your optimism.

Salisbury, Thomasville, and North Rowan will be top three. As mentioned earlier SHS will have to fill some holes. They are proven to be winners. How long can they sustain success and can their coach keep it going?
Coach Gillespie at THS is a proven winner. He did a good job at THS and is building on what Robertson did there. The biggest issue was there was no JV team last season to prepare kids for the future.
North is as talented and athletic as most teams you will see. They have played I. A terribly weak conference for several years with a lot of travel, so I’m sure they’re happy to be back in the CCC. Again no Jv last year.
WD and ED battle for 4th and 5th in league. If Hanner can build in his flexbone offense they could be a frustrating team. Billings at West is a steady dude and adding Mitchum into the fold is huge.
Lexington has a long way to go and was awful last year with no JV team.
South will be most people’s homecoming. I wish they could have more success. Hate the difficulties for the kids and coaches but it how sports are sometimes.
I will always refuse to buy into South Davidson’s small size as their sole reason for being terrible. Robbinsville wins games. Similar enrollment. There are plenty of opportunities to find some good non conference matchups with the smaller conference. I hope they’ll find some similar teams.

I feel sorry for South Davidson here.. talk about a rough situation. They might as well have "Whipping Post," by the Allman brothers on repeat every year because that will be the next 4 years for them in a nutshell.

State shoulda put them in that weird conference with Carver and those private schools.. they could compete a little better in there.

Don't, the people of Denton deserve it. Only thing important to them is the weekly fieldtrip to Thomasville's Walmart.

I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly. Couldn’t agree more. I also congratulate you on being one of the half dozen people left on earth who still see potential when it comes to Lexington athletics. I admire your optimism.

I mean, you're optimistic about the West Davidson fighting Pete's dragons and OG smurf bears.😂

Lexington is a proven winner, just a matter of when they come back.

I mean, you're optimistic about the West Davidson fighting Pete's dragons and OG smurf bears.😂

Lexington is a proven winner, just a matter of when they come back.
When was the last time Lexington had a winning season? I honestly don’t know. What I do know is that in the last 35 years (going back to 1986) Thomasville is 31-5 against Lexington. Two of those losses were in the years that the Bulldogs only won two games. I’d like to see Lexington strong, but think it won’t be any time soon.

When was the last time Lexington had a winning season? I honestly don’t know. What I do know is that in the last 35 years (going back to 1986) Thomasville is 31-5 against Lexington. Two of those losses were in the years that the Bulldogs only won two games. I’d like to see Lexington strong, but think it won’t be any time soon.

Only thing recent was their 2016 season going 6-5 and 7-5 in 2015 and that's barely decent. But yeah, our rival is broken. Suppose we have to look at North Rowan and Salisbury now as a rival now.

Also, hope we get back to playing for November.

I will always refuse to buy into South Davidson’s small size as their sole reason for being terrible. Robbinsville wins games. Similar enrollment. There are plenty of opportunities to find some good non conference matchups with the smaller conference. I hope they’ll find some similar teams.

2009-10 3-8
2010-11 3-9
2011-12 3-9

2013-14 1-10
2014-15 0-11
2015-16 1-10
2016-17 1-10
2017-18 2-9
2018-19 1-10
2019-20 1-10
2020 0-6

In the earlier 2000's they were coached by John Shelton and had some good competitive teams with even records. During the span of Mike Crowell the team did win 3 games a season, made a couple of playoff appearances and competed with and beat the lower tier YVC teams going 3-4 in conference action. The previous admin made a series of 3-4 bad hires that plunged the program into a tail spin it may never come out of.

A total rebuild is needed down there and the potential to win some and change the culture is a possibility if admin would prioritize getting an HC with lots of football and organizational building knowledge. Support the new coach by filling on campus teaching positions with football assistants/DC/OC roles and stand behind the coach when he tries to change the culture from expecting to lose to wanting to win. Otherwise the current state of the program and the course it has taken may not survive four seasons in this new 1A/2A CCC getting mashed by everyone.

Does anyone have any idea what the new CCC is going to look like? From what I heard/understand it is going to be a split 2A/1A conference. I think South Davidson and Thomasville are going to make up the 1A side of the house.
North Rowan is also 1A in the new CCC.

2009-10 3-8
2010-11 3-9
2011-12 3-9

2013-14 1-10
2014-15 0-11
2015-16 1-10
2016-17 1-10
2017-18 2-9
2018-19 1-10
2019-20 1-10
2020 0-6

In the earlier 2000's they were coached by John Shelton and had some good competitive teams with even records. During the span of Mike Crowell the team did win 3 games a season, made a couple of playoff appearances and competed with and beat the lower tier YVC teams going 3-4 in conference action. The previous admin made a series of 3-4 bad hires that plunged the program into a tail spin it may never come out of.

A total rebuild is needed down there and the potential to win some and change the culture is a possibility if admin would prioritize getting an HC with lots of football and organizational building knowledge. Support the new coach by filling on campus teaching positions with football assistants/DC/OC roles and stand behind the coach when he tries to change the culture from expecting to lose to wanting to win. Otherwise the current state of the program and the course it has taken may not survive four seasons in this new 1A/2A CCC getting mashed by everyone.
Again SD much like most of Davidson County need to let go of the good ole boys network. Think outside the box and hire minority candidates

The best teams the South Davidson had were back during the early to mid 80's. At that time Howard Hayes was the Head Coach and I remember one season they either went 6-5 or 6-6. They had a bruising RB named Chris Dobbins who was a guaranteed 5 yards every time he touched the ball.

Reactions: SDfan84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT