ADVERTISEMENT

Never thought it was fair that a private Highschool should be able to play in the public Highschool

I will provide a little more to the discussion about the improvement. When CCHS was on Park Road the facilities were like a junior high school. The school was smaller and less expensive as well. You had a lot of ramblers and beat up cars in the parking lot.. heck we hardly had a parking lot. The parochial grade schools did not play football but they did instill a competitive spirt and many of the kids who attended the parochial schools had strong POP Warner programs to associate with. The success in the Rocky River conference lead a group from North Stanly to try and get the Cougars kicked out. When they had to articulate their argument the lead support just blurted out as a portion of the discussion " They are just Different don't you get it" The Head coach at Monroe who it seemed had the most to gain at the time was the biggest supported of Catholic. How ironic was that. Also the schools in Charlotte stepped up and supported Catholic because they were not aware of ever losing a player that transferred to catholic. Forest Hills joined the Rocky River beat catholic a lot more than Catholic beat them. In those days it was a lot harder to get into the playoffs.

Ladge was correct that the demise of the Pop warner programs had caused less numbers to have an interest in football. At the similar time they moved to the new school that was more expensive and it just took a few years to get the same numbers and school spirit it to emerge. When you coach for over 40 years at a school there is bound to be a difficult time. it took a few years to get the middle school program going and it drove renewed interest in playing. The cougars were back and won back to back championships and were regular contenders again. Then Joe Pinhead decided to play his "They are just different phase two". .

Make no mistake there have been many D1 players that played in the middle school but did not play at Catholic. If you were to talk to Coach Oddo about his expectations for the program when he left, he would sum it in one word " Better". Today Catholic is not as lean on talent as there were at other times, but they are also not in a league talent wise with many of the Charlotte teams. I am amazed at the level of play of their defense. They are just so fundamentally sound. It gave them a good chance to repeat this year even when they were struggling.

What people don't really understand is what the word parochial school means and why do many state charters include Catholic parochial schools but not private school in their charters. You may be surprised that there are over 7,000 catholic parochial schools in the US. At one time most of the kids that attended parochial schools ( meaning supported by the parishes) were virtually free and then were much much less expensive than private schools. Today they are still less expensive than private schools like latin, country day and Providence day but not to the extend they were two and three decades ago. For the most part catholic parochial schools function more like a public school with the same feeder elementary and junior high schools. The kids come from these schools first.

Typically catholics make up the largest religious denomination in many parts of the country however in a location like North Carolina they are a very small denomination. As a result there is only a few parochial HS in the state mostly because of the influx of population from states that have typical Catholic populations. If a school like catholic is 90% catholic and catholic only make up 3-4% of the population than it makes sense they would tale a larger area to draw its students from. That is why I laugh so much at this argument that many make about boundaries...

On top of the insincerity of the boundaries argument does the size of the boundary even correlated to the success of sports in HS. It does seem like the most of the best teams are. from the areas that have the smallest geographic boundary. Again not a very well thought out argument.

There is always going to be the baseless argument from the uniformed. There is a good argument for certain circumstances to not allow Catholic parochial schools but it does not exist in North Carolina.

I am just gonna copy and paste this going forward. Probably just saved me a week in my life going forward. Thanks

Personally I love the way Catholic plays and coach their kids up. I have no problem with Catholic playing public ball. Catholic are the epitome of winning with the fundamentals of the game, blocking and tackling. Catholic plays team defense and team offense. Many people look at Catholic’s offensive scheme which they run to perfection but I have always admired how Catholic mixes their zone coverages on d and how their linebackers always drop perfectly into their hook zones on pass plays frustrating teams with more physical talent. The Catholic kids are always in the right place which shows attention to detail by their coaches. Losing to Catholic last year made KM a better team this year because it was obvious that the KM coaches/players worked on some of those things that Catholic exploited last year because KM improved in those areas tremendously. I fully believe that Kings Mountain will be much improved again next year after this recent loss to Catholic. Catholic is not IMG, or one of these powerhouse private schools who bring in kids every year from all around the country. It’s tough because they are a great program but Catholic can be beat. Instead of complaining about Catholic how about raising you game as players/coaches/program so you can compete with them.

Personally I love the way Catholic plays and coach their kids up. I have no problem with Catholic playing public ball. Catholic are the epitome of winning with the fundamentals of the game, blocking and tackling. Catholic plays team defense and team offense. Many people look at Catholic’s offensive scheme which they run to perfection but I have always admired how Catholic mixes their zone coverages on d and how their linebackers always drop perfectly into their hook zones on pass plays frustrating teams with more physical talent. The Catholic kids are always in the right place which shows attention to detail by their coaches. Losing to Catholic last year made KM a better team this year because it was obvious that the KM coaches/players worked on some of those things that Catholic exploited last year because KM improved in those areas tremendously. I fully believe that Kings Mountain will be much improved again next year after this recent loss to Catholic. Catholic is not IMG, or one of these powerhouse private schools who bring in kids every year from all around the country. It’s tough because they are a great program but Catholic can be beat. Instead of complaining about Catholic how about raising you game as players/coaches/program so you can compete with them.

Great post, shutdown. It is not lost on many of us that great football towns/counties like KM and Cleveland County welcome the challenge not excuses.

Good teams excel by taking the attitude that “it’s about us not about them”. Great Crest battles and now KM battles against Catholic, show why we love this game.

It doesn’t get any better than that 7 ot classic!

Reactions: shutdownD24
Many people look at Catholic’s offensive scheme which they run to perfection but I have always admired how Catholic mixes their zone coverages on d and how their linebackers always drop perfectly into their hook zones on pass plays frustrating teams with more physical talent. The Catholic kids are always in the right place which shows attention to detail by their coaches. Losing to Catholic last year made KM a better team this year because it was obvious that the KM coaches/players worked on some of those things that Catholic exploited last year because KM improved in those areas tremendously. I fully believe that Kings Mountain will be much improved again next year after this recent loss to Catholic.

BINGO......All the movement in their Cover 2 makes it hard on you. 2018 D was incredible, but even with the loss of 45 and 33, this year's version was still pretty good.

Last edited:
BINGO......All the movement in their Cover 2 makes it hard on you. 2018 D was incredible, but even with the loss of 45 and 33, this year's version was still pretty good.
I agree. The passing windows against Catholic are really tight in that Cover 2. Catholic are masters at baiting you into bad plays or turnovers.

Reactions: btango
Nah...a week or two and then its on to girls, parties, new sport, college, etc etc.

I get that there is a small % of dudes especially in some of these smaller towns who are still looking at pictures of the 1991 title game, wearing the Letterman's jacket and telling stories of what might of been at the bar at the corner Applebees. The vast majority of us move on with life and remember HS football for what was....good times with good friends and hopefully some life long relationships and friends.

Al Bundy weeps at your post.

But you are 100% correct, the majority of people move on with life and realize HS was a very small part of it. Championships or not, HS helps you develop into a young adult and then college or the workforce comes a long....some people set their goals higher than what they accomplished in High School, other hold on to their past accomplishments as if they are the ticket to success.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
For all you losers, Catholic cheats and you were robbed! Now that the truth is out, feel better that a bunch of 160 lb crackers, who will never see a Saturday, slipped one by you.

It is embarrassing that you let it happen, but Biff will still respect you and Buffy will ask you to join in service to your community.

This endless attack on a wonderful, God based, educational system is beneath you! DO THE WORK!!!

WORD!!!
OMG Seadog you said the "C" word ....i said that on a thread a few weeks ago and Sportsnut censored me and Bulldog012 as well some Shelby posters really got their feelings hurt. They tried to impeach me. :)

OMG Seadog you said the "C" word ....i said that on a thread a few weeks ago and Sportsnut censored me and Bulldog012 as well some Shelby posters really got their feelings hurt. They tried to impeach me. :)

Lol, LD. It would be wrong to censor sarcasm. :)

Merry Christmas, brother!

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT