ADVERTISEMENT

Never thought it was fair that a private Highschool should be able to play in the public Highschool

bigred57

Sep 19, 2014
Never thought it to be fair to the public Highschool football playoffs that a private owned Highschool be allowed to participate in the games. The fact that they can recruit talent from wherever they please, while public schools can only pull from their specific districts, just not fair. Take the 3A bracket, a normal public Highschool might have 40-45 players where across the field, the private Highschool dresses out 70-80. Should never be aloud to happen. If the private school had to pull talent from their specific district, you probably would never see them in the playoffs. Something needs to be addressed here.

I guess you're talking about Charlotte Catholic. My Forest Hills team was in the same conference with Catholic for several years back when I was in high school. We had some unbelievable games, but I never could understand why they were in our conference. They could recruit just like Charlotte Christian, Charlotte Latin or Charlotte Country Day to name a few. 30 plus years later since I graduated they're still allowed to play in public school league. I don't know how this is allowed. Anyone have an explanation?

I guess you're talking about Charlotte Catholic. My Forest Hills team was in the same conference with Catholic for several years back when I was in high school. We had some unbelievable games, but I never could understand why they were in our conference. They could recruit just like Charlotte Christian, Charlotte Latin or Charlotte Country Day to name a few. 30 plus years later since I graduated they're still allowed to play in public school league. I don't know how this is allowed. Anyone have an explanation?
It is allowed because it is in the NCHSAA by laws. We don't recruit. It's a myth perpetuated by people who just cannot face facts that we do things the right way.
In your day Forest Hill's may have been neck and neck with Catholic but the overall record is FH leading 13-5. Dominating a school that could "recruit" throughout the 90s.
We saw this year how Catholic is held to a higher standard when Lamagea McDowell transferred to Hunter Huss mid season and played right away. If he had transferred midseason from Huss to Catholic he would sitout 365 days before even touching the field. Unless his head coach and AD both signed off on it.
This is a decades old argument that holds no water.

Never thought it to be fair to the public Highschool football playoffs that a private owned Highschool be allowed to participate in the games. The fact that they can recruit talent from wherever they please, while public schools can only pull from their specific districts, just not fair. Take the 3A bracket, a normal public Highschool might have 40-45 players where across the field, the private Highschool dresses out 70-80. Should never be aloud to happen. If the private school had to pull talent from their specific district, you probably would never see them in the playoffs. Something needs to be addressed here.
Judging by your username I assume you are a Southern Nash fan. Much respect for that program, their staff, players and fans. They are to be commended for their run and I think they have the ability to get back to states next year.
I believe this exact post was on HSOT and was obliterated by most on there.

Never thought it to be fair to the public Highschool football playoffs that a private owned Highschool be allowed to participate in the games. The fact that they can recruit talent from wherever they please, while public schools can only pull from their specific districts, just not fair.

You obviously have very little knowledge about the situation.

Reactions: seadog28
I was at FH in the 80's. Never said we dominated Catholic. We just always had some great games at the original Catholic School location. I don't have anything against Catholic. Just always heard that argument for as long as I could remember. I'm pretty sure it does get old hearing it. If you're doing the job the same as other public schools then my hats off to ya and the Cougars.

do you have to pay attend Charlotte Catholic? That seems to be the most obvious question to “is it a private school or public school?”

NCHSAA is NOT a public school league, never has been. I won't rehash the bylaws, I will tell you that Catholic has complied over many decades and does not recruit. You are just making crap up over sour grapes.

NCHSAA is NOT a public school league, never has been. I won't rehash the bylaws, I will tell you that Catholic has complied over many decades and does not recruit. You are just making crap up over sour grapes.
I think that is one of the biggest issues people don't get. The NCHSAA is not apart of the NC education system,not state funded, nothing to do with the state. It's a private company. If your school feels like the private company is letting teams cheat or break the rules,leave the NCHSAA, it's that simple.

I was at FH in the 80's. Never said we dominated Catholic. We just always had some great games at the original Catholic School location. I don't have anything against Catholic. Just always heard that argument for as long as I could remember. I'm pretty sure it does get old hearing it. If you're doing the job the same as other public schools then my hats off to ya and the Cougars.
It doesn’t bug me as much as it used to, but it does get old.

tenor.gif

Let other private schools in after all these kids are all around the same age and only 11 can play at a time. I remember Charlotte Christian whopped crust a few times years ago and they said no thanks to keeping that series going .

According to the bylaws of the NCHSAA membership of "private schools" are limited to non boarding parochial schools. Essentially, that means Catholic schools. Other privates are either not affiliated with a religious organization or too broad of one.

Let other private schools in after all these kids are all around the same age and only 11 can play at a time. I remember Charlotte Christian whopped crust a few times years ago and they said no thanks to keeping that series going .
That was Country Day.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog

OK BIG Red.. but how about a Parochial School what is your take on that.. you know a parochial school

why you are hard at thought on that question... could you disclose how many kids you beleive Catholic is allowed to recruit a year.... is there a limit..

BTW I was impressed with how hard the kids from SN played but they would have probably lost to Kings Mountain by even a bigger score than they did to Catholic...

I really enjoy watching Catholic play. They do everything right. They play smart, aggressive and physical and they don’t beat themselves. And they rarely appear to have elite talent. They’re extremely well coached and well organized. I don’t know or care if they recruit. I bet most of the champions this year had a player or two from outside their immediate area. I’ve seen for years players going to Mallard Creek from all over this area. Myers Park seems to be a popular spot now, too. I hate Southern Nash lost in their first appearance in a championship. You guys had a great team and a really nice running back. I am a Lincolnton graduate and a Lincolnton fan but I enjoy seeing Catholic win and I think they only bring positives to the NCHSAA.

I have a couple of questions for the CC faithful. It's just that I don't know what the answers are and you guys would know.

1. Have the boundaries for CC always been the same and if not, what is the difference?
2. What changed in the early 2000's to send your program to another level? In the '90's, you guys were average to below average.

I have a couple of questions for the CC faithful. It's just that I don't know what the answers are and you guys would know.

1. Have the boundaries for CC always been the same and if not, what is the difference?
2. What changed in the early 2000's to send your program to another level? In the '90's, you guys were average to below average.

The boundaries are limited now by NCHSAA rule. Not sure how long that has been in place.

Catholic started middle school football with a lot of former CC players coaching and running the system. I think that along with a growing Catholic population in the area. The enrollment has dropped but much if that is due to the new Parochial in the northern part of Meck County.

In 1996 Holy Trinity Middle started football. Those 6th graders in 1996 were seniors in 2002 when Catholic made third round for first time since 1989 and it took off from there.
25 mile boundary was put in by state in 2012, but to my knowledge(attended CC at that time) no one lived outside the zone who played sports.

But also de facto boundary of religion does play a factor. Along with tuition which athletes cannot get scholarships to cover.

Reactions: seadog28 and btango
Catholic had much success in the 70's, & 80's then the Pop Warner team that a lot of the kids played for disbanded ( there was no middle school then all the Catholic feeder schools were k-8)
90's were rough, no feeder team, soccer took off and as Oddo liked to joke more kids were driving BMW's than trucks to school.

I agree middle school changed the culture. Kids play the same system next to the same players for up to 7 years. really turned out that Varsity Catholic games Became a big event for Holy Trinity middle school kids. Now all those 6-8 graders looked at playing football at Catholic as a status symbol, participation went way up.

Reactions: seadog28 and btango
For all you losers, Catholic cheats and you were robbed! Now that the truth is out, feel better that a bunch of 160 lb crackers, who will never see a Saturday, slipped one by you.

It is embarrassing that you let it happen, but Biff will still respect you and Buffy will ask you to join in service to your community.

This endless attack on a wonderful, God based, educational system is beneath you! DO THE WORK!!!

WORD!!!

You know what’s funny? I have never heard a fan from Crest, Weddington, Dudley, KM, A. L. Brown or New Bern complain. Why is that? You know the answer!

Pinyon (sp), fed this crap to the brainless masses and was soundly sent to the showers by teams and programs like the above mentioned.

I’m so glad Shelby spanked them (Salisbury) this weekend, because Champions like Shelby don’t whine and neither does Catholic.

Pinyon is long gone from Salisbury. He won a state title and his best player came from a neighboring district. Hypocrite.

Damn Marine, you are the paragon of preps. You have made my day!

You know what’s funny? I have never heard a fan from Crest, Weddington, Dudley, KM, A. L. Brown or New Bern complain. Why is that? You know the answer!

Pinyon (sp), fed this crap to the brainless masses and was soundly sent to the showers by teams and programs like the above mentioned.

I’m so glad Shelby spanked them (Salisbury) this weekend, because Champions like Shelby don’t whine and neither does Catholic.

Brainless masses is exactly what they are. I think thats the part that always amuses me. Its always " my mom's uncle told me they heard that CC gives all their players new cars to come play there"

I remember watching my first CC game in 2012. I looked out on field during warmups and told my son that must be the JV team warming up and the varsity must come out next.
Unfair advantage?? Stop whining and get better.

Thanks for the thoughtful answers. I just was curious about that. CC is a top notch program. I just never knew exactly the correct answers were to those. You here all kinds of junk on here, so I wanted to hear from the ones that knew. Thanks again. Maybe ACR and CC can play each other sometime. That would be cool.

It gets old.....The best part about coaching in a small town is running errands on Saturday, and talking football at the Hardware store, Barbershop, Grocery store, etc.....The worst part about coaching in a small town is having Fans talk to you about Catholic.

It gets old....I get mad and frustrated trying to simply explain to them that they're wrong, but it never matters.

I told someone this last week that after a loss, like ours to Catholic 2 weeks ago, that Fans are Mad.....BUT Players and Coaches are Hurt. There's a difference, and constantly complaining about the Loss diminishes the game and our season, and changes the way we should be thinking.

I just always have to remember that the ones I can't have a reasonable argument with about Catholic, are also the ones trying to give me Football Advice too. Thanks for your support though.

Last edited:
I would think the only real advantage that CC has is that they will never be affected by population booms or new school openings which could affect their classification.

I would think the only real advantage that CC has is that they will never be affected by population booms or new school openings which could affect their classification.

They were 2AA in the early subdivision days and 4A with growth in the area. Have dropped to 3AA and now 3A with be near 2AA numbers. New Catholic school in northern part of the county is most likely the main factor.

It gets old.....The best part about coaching in a small town is running errands on Saturday, and talking football at the Hardware store, Barbershop, Grocery store, etc.....The worst part about coaching in a small town is having Fans talk to you about Catholic.

It gets old....I get mad and frustrated trying to simply explain to them that they're wrong, but it never matters.

I told someone this last week that after a loss, like ours to Catholic 2 weeks ago, that Fans are Mad.....BUT Players and Coaches are Hurt. There's a difference, and constantly complaining about the Loss diminishes the game and our season, and changes the way we should be thinking.

I just always have to remember that the ones I can't have a reasonable argument with about Catholic, are also the ones trying to give me Football Advice too. Thanks for your support though.

This is spot on !! I love an engaged fanbase but there is a line in some of these areas that bleeds over into obsession and frankly its a little scary.

The people I always feel for after a tough loss that ends the season is the coaches. The difference between fans and coaches is the time invested and sacrifices made. Kids are resilient.....they move on to the next important thing pretty quickly. Coaches take it to bed every night for a long while.

That offense is just hard to prepare for. You need a full week workshop/clinic in the summer just focusing on stopping it.

The people I always feel for after a tough loss that ends the season is the coaches. The difference between fans and coaches is the time invested and sacrifices made. Kids are resilient.....they move on to the next important thing pretty quickly. Coaches take it to bed every night for a long while.

I respectfully disagree with you there. The people I feel bad for after horrible losses are the players. A coach will coach potentially dozens of teams, win and lose hundreds of games. They get a next season to look forward to. When you’re a player and you lose a state championship game, you’re done, there is no next season. You’ll remember it the rest of your life. What you could have done differently. The coach gets to start preparing for the next season, where the kids come to the realization that he’ll never put on pads and be with this group of guys ever again.

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
Catholic had much success in the 70's, & 80's then the Pop Warner team that a lot of the kids played for disbanded ( there was no middle school then all the Catholic feeder schools were k-8)
90's were rough, no feeder team, soccer took off and as Oddo liked to joke more kids were driving BMW's than trucks to school.

I will provide a little more to the discussion about the improvement. When CCHS was on Park Road the facilities were like a junior high school. The school was smaller and less expensive as well. You had a lot of ramblers and beat up cars in the parking lot.. heck we hardly had a parking lot. The parochial grade schools did not play football but they did instill a competitive spirt and many of the kids who attended the parochial schools had strong POP Warner programs to associate with. The success in the Rocky River conference lead a group from North Stanly to try and get the Cougars kicked out. When they had to articulate their argument the lead support just blurted out as a portion of the discussion " They are just Different don't you get it" The Head coach at Monroe who it seemed had the most to gain at the time was the biggest supporter of Catholic. How ironic was that. Also the schools in Charlotte stepped up and supported Catholic because they were not aware of ever losing a player that transferred to catholic. Forest Hills joined the Rocky River beat catholic a lot more than Catholic beat them. In those days it was a lot harder to get into the playoffs.

Ladge was correct that the demise of the Pop warner programs had caused less numbers to have an interest in football. At the similar time they moved to the new school that was more expensive and it just took a few years to get the same numbers and school spirit it to emerge. When you coach for over 40 years at a school there is bound to be a difficult time. it took a few years to get the middle school program going and it drove renewed interest in playing. The cougars were back and won back to back championships and were regular contenders again. Then Joe Pinhead decided to play his "They are just different phase two". .

Make no mistake there have been many D1 players that played in the middle school but did not play at Catholic. If you were to talk to Coach Oddo about his expectations for the program when he left, he would sum it in one word " Better". Today Catholic is not as lean on talent as they were at other times, but they are also not in a league talent wise with many of the Charlotte teams. I am amazed at the level of play of their defense. They are just so fundamentally sound. It gave them a good chance to repeat this year even when they were struggling.

What people don't really understand is what the word parochial school means and why do many state charters include Catholic parochial schools but not private school in their charters. You may be surprised that there are over 7,000 catholic parochial schools in the US. At one time most of the kids that attended parochial schools ( meaning supported by the parishes) were virtually free and then were much much less expensive than private schools. Today they are still less expensive than private schools like latin, country day and Providence day but not to the extend they were two and three decades ago. For the most part catholic parochial schools function more like a public school with the same feeder elementary and junior high schools. The kids come from these schools first.

Typically catholics make up the largest religious denomination in many parts of the country however in a location like North Carolina they are a very small denomination. As a result there is only a few parochial HS in the state mostly because of the influx of population from states that have typical Catholic populations. If a school like catholic is 90% catholic and catholics only make up 3-4% of the population than it makes sense they would take a larger area to draw its students from. That is why I laugh so much at this argument that many make about boundaries...

On top of the insincerity of the boundaries argument does the size of the boundary even correlated to the success of sports in HS. It does seem like the most of the best teams are. from the areas that have the smallest geographic boundary. Again not a very well thought out argument.

There is always going to be the baseless argument from the uniformed. There is a good argument for certain circumstances to not allow Catholic parochial schools but it does not exist in North Carolina.

Last edited:
I will provide a little more to the discussion about the improvement. When CCHS was on Park Road the facilities were like a junior high school. The school was smaller and less expensive as well. You had a lot of ramblers and beat up cars in the parking lot.. heck we hardly had a parking lot. The parochial grade schools did not play football but they did instill a competitive spirt and many of the kids who attended the parochial schools had strong POP Warner programs to associate with. The success in the Rocky River conference lead a group from North Stanly to try and get the Cougars kicked out. When they had to articulate their argument the lead support just blurted out as a portion of the discussion " They are just Different don't you get it" The Head coach at Monroe who it seemed had the most to gain at the time was the biggest supported of Catholic. How ironic was that. Also the schools in Charlotte stepped up and supported Catholic because they were not aware of ever losing a player that transferred to catholic. Forest Hills joined the Rocky River beat catholic a lot more than Catholic beat them. In those days it was a lot harder to get into the playoffs.

Ladge was correct that the demise of the Pop warner programs had caused less numbers to have an interest in football. At the similar time they moved to the new school that was more expensive and it just took a few years to get the same numbers and school spirit it to emerge. When you coach for over 40 years at a school there is bound to be a difficult time. it took a few years to get the middle school program going and it drove renewed interest in playing. The cougars were back and won back to back championships and were regular contenders again. Then Joe Pinhead decided to play his "They are just different phase two". .

Make no mistake there have been many D1 players that played in the middle school but did not play at Catholic. If you were to talk to Coach Oddo about his expectations for the program when he left, he would sum it in one word " Better". Today Catholic is not as lean on talent as there were at other times, but they are also not in a league talent wise with many of the Charlotte teams. I am amazed at the level of play of their defense. They are just so fundamentally sound. It gave them a good chance to repeat this year even when they were struggling.

What people don't really understand is what the word parochial school means and why do many state charters include Catholic parochial schools but not private school in their charters. You may be surprised that there are over 7,000 catholic parochial schools in the US. At one time most of the kids that attended parochial schools ( meaning supported by the parishes) were virtually free and then were much much less expensive than private schools. Today they are still less expensive than private schools like latin, country day and Providence day but not to the extend they were two and three decades ago. For the most part catholic parochial schools function more like a public school with the same feeder elementary and junior high schools. The kids come from these schools first.

Typically catholics make up the largest religious denomination in many parts of the country however in a location like North Carolina they are a very small denomination. As a result there is only a few parochial HS in the state mostly because of the influx of population from states that have typical Catholic populations. If a school like catholic is 90% catholic and catholic only make up 3-4% of the population than it makes sense they would tale a larger area to draw its students from. That is why I laugh so much at this argument that many make about boundaries...

On top of the insincerity of the boundaries argument does the size of the boundary even correlated to the success of sports in HS. It does seem like the most of the best teams are. from the areas that have the smallest geographic boundary. Again not a very well thought out argument.

There is always going to be the baseless argument from the uniformed. There is a good argument for certain circumstances to not allow Catholic parochial schools but it does not exist in North Carolina.

Boom!

I respectfully disagree with you there. The people I feel bad for after horrible losses are the players. A coach will coach potentially dozens of teams, win and lose hundreds of games. They get a next season to look forward to. When you’re a player and you lose a state championship game, you’re done, there is no next season. You’ll remember it the rest of your life. What you could have done differently. The coach gets to start preparing for the next season, where the kids come to the realization that he’ll never put on pads and be with this group of guys ever again.

Nah...a week or two and then its on to girls, parties, new sport, college, etc etc.

I get that there is a small % of dudes especially in some of these smaller towns who are still looking at pictures of the 1991 title game, wearing the Letterman's jacket and telling stories of what might of been at the bar at the corner Applebees. The vast majority of us move on with life and remember HS football for what was....good times with good friends and hopefully some life long relationships and friends.

Reactions: the1Truth
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT