ADVERTISEMENT

NCPreps/HS Media Basketball Polls 2/18

Here is an idea. Stop looking at overall records and look at who teams have played and maybe gotten beat by....I would vote for a team that plays and loses to a 3a/4A team that is good than a win vs a terrible team. There are a lot of teams in the top 10 that play absolutely nobody and get rewarded for their efforts (not). There are teams that actually go out and schedule teams knowing they may lose some of those but it is to get better and they are punished for their efforts. SMH.
To not have Laney High School in the Top 10 is laughable at best. They are arguably in the toughest conference in the state (Maybe Charlotte Conference only conference that may be better) and only loss is to powerhouse Hoggard. They are well-coached and very talented. SMH on that one as well.
Lincoln Charter plays high level teams for a 1A team and they are a Top 5 team in the state. To not have them in 1A top 10 laughable.
Avery girls are 5th and if there is a better 1A team in the state I haven't seen them yet. I have, however, seen them in person beat a very good Central Cabarrus team easily that beat a very good, solid Ashbrook team easily. SMH on that one as well. I could keep going but I guess my point is....actually go out and watch these teams before basing your polls on records only. SMH

Here is an idea. Why don't you go see all the teams in NC play , record the highlights on your fancy Smartass Phone , and report your findings to Ms. King and Mister Dines.

Here is an idea. Why don't you go see all the teams in NC play , record the highlights on your fancy Smartass Phone , and report your findings to Ms. King and Mister Dines.

Seems like that is their job to do, not mine! But if I were going to have a poll that included ALL teams in NC, then I would probably do that or at least look at who teams are playing and who they have lost to. And I wouldn't need a "Smartass Phone" to do so.

Reactions: therealsquid
He does have a valid point imho. With the amount of $$ Rivals makes,could they not hire a few people (even part-time) and those people go and watch games and help with rankings. If these rankings are going to impact the playoffs,then it seems reasonable someone from Rivals should be watching the teams. If the poll had no effect but for board discussion then its fine as it is but when schools and kids that bust their rears are effected by it,seems more knowledge should be put into it than just records.

Reactions: Veejay4
He does have a valid point imho. With the amount of $$ Rivals makes,could they not hire a few people (even part-time) and those people go and watch games and help with rankings. If these rankings are going to impact the playoffs,then it seems reasonable someone from Rivals should be watching the teams. If the poll had no effect but for board discussion then its fine as it is but when schools and kids that bust their rears are effected by it,seems more knowledge should be put into it than just records.

In these polls they use I believe 150 media reporters across the state and now take that and look at the votes. I mean it’s not as thorough as Max preps who in my opinion has not laid eyes on one Team that has played a game in NC. Unfortunately the max preps rankings is what is used to seed for the playoffs. I appreciate the work Mrs King and Don have put in on this as well as all the media member that typically cover hundreds of games each year unlike myself and you. It’s fun to look at and discuss. Relax the ball will be rolled out for playoffs soon and at the end we will see who the top teams are.

This poll is definitely closer to being accurate than the Max preps or adjusted rankings. They have done a pretty good job analyzing the teams for the most part. I also do not think they affect the playoffs in any manner, unless I am mistaken.

Last edited:
These polls are not picked by Deana or Hon Dines alone, it is voted on I think around 13 or more sports writers and maybe others that work for NCPreps across North Carolina from the mountains to the coast just like all polls and you can look at 5 polls including AP and major newspapers and not 2 will be the same top to bottom.

Last edited:
Polls are for fishermen/fisherwomen, pole vaulters, cement pond cleaners, , the alignment of race cars, proprietors of bee hives, poles come in handy if one loses their paddle while nonchalantly traveling up Shyt Creek, strippers, and fetchin' the Frisbee from the Bougainvillea trees

Reactions: Sportsnut17
I would like to add my 2 cents.
First of all the rankings have no influence on the playoffs.
Secondly hiring a few people to watch games would not work. With games played mainly on Tuesday and Friday nights, it would take a large group to cover every team. Also for a realistic comparison shouldn’t every voter see every team? Teams would need to be viewed multiple times in case they had players injured or ill.
Finally, the polls may or may not be accurate. However, they serve their purpose to create interest and stimulate dialogue. If you are upset with the rankings then simply don’t read them. It is rather sad that people try to provide a service for us and some of us want to complain about how they do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT