ADVERTISEMENT

NCPreps.com Pre-season Top 10 3A Poll

ACR 3rd? I like it! I was not agreed with on that other site. But they are better consistently than a lot of those other teams listed.

Should be interesting year...I think Crest will be a team to watch out for with Coach Eddins there. He will get the Chargers going!

AC deserves a high ranking.....Freedom will be better with Jim bob

Where is Hunter Huss I wonder? Observer said they return 15 starters...defending big south champions...gave Shelby all they could handle. Beat the 3A champs in SP....

After seeing Monroe and Huss last year and after reading what Huss has coming back, I can not imagine Monroe higher than Huss.

Let's just forget about the team who went to the Eastern finals and returns most of their starters from last season. Remember the Jacksonville Cardinals. Team is loaded again.

lol, she's being kind. Top 20....lol lol

look here patsmycrotch

Just because you have a coach that won a few state championships, doesn't mean Freedom deserves a high ranking, my God you lost to Patton last year...Crest has, and will continue to have more talent and more tradition and more wins than Freedom could ever hope in their wildest dreams...by the way, the 3A just got a lot tougher for the next 4 years with catholic and Dudley...so be sure to tell Ol'e Jim Bob...Hell ain't freezing over for a long time...go ahead and start looking at SC jobs bro.

look here patsmycrotch

Just because you have a coach that won a few state championships, doesn't mean Freedom deserves a high ranking, my God you lost to Patton last year...Crest has, and will continue to have more talent and more tradition and more wins than Freedom could ever hope in their wildest dreams...by the way, the 3A just got a lot tougher for the next 4 years with catholic and Dudley...so be sure to tell Ol'e Jim Bob...Hell ain't freezing over for a long time...go ahead and start looking at SC jobs bro.
Just so you know.... JBB chose Freedom over C_ e_t!

wow. its hard to believe that dudley and charlotte catholic both moved to big 3a. did charoltte catholic want to move? ive always heard they chose to play up even though they didnt have 4a numbers. doesnt matter though its always a hard road to the championships.welcome to the 3a . i hope we get to play one or both of you down the road.

wow. its hard to believe that dudley and charlotte catholic both moved to big 3a. did charoltte catholic want to move? ive always heard they chose to play up even though they didnt have 4a numbers. doesnt matter though its always a hard road to the championships.welcome to the 3a . i hope we get to play one or both of you down the road.
They did not choose to play up. Theyre 3A not 3AA

Listen all you cousin loving mouth breathers... It's just a matter of time before the Mighty Bulldogs take their rightful position at the top of this list. Y'all just keep arguing about 2nd place and don't be trying to even think about that top spot. ;-)

Reactions: seadog28
Listen all you cousin loving mouth breathers... It's just a matter of time before the Mighty Bulldogs take their rightful position at the top of this list. Y'all just keep arguing about 2nd place and don't be trying to even think about that top spot. ;-)

Nice, I love bold!

This may be the deepest that 3A has been with good teams ever. Think about some of the 3A teams not ranked in the top ten: Hillside, Southern Durham, Northern Durham, Northside, Rocky Mt, Mt. Tabor, W. Rowan, Fayetteville Byrd, Terry Sandford, Concord, A.L. Brown, Hunter Huss, Crest, KM, Robinson, Asheville, Ervin, New Hanover etc. Jeez!! I agree with Dudley at #1 but I would have to place Hillside #2 in my poll. The rest of the top ten will be fought out like an old school "Lumberjack Match". When a team tries to escape they will immediately be beat up and tossed back into the ring for more lol.

It's scary to think that Dudley is even better than they were last year. D-1 prospects all over the field. Offensively they are going to be dynamic. Graduate a D-1 QB, have another one that's already getting attention. Have a 2020 WR that Clemson is already recruiting. Dudley has always hung their hat on having a stingy defense. But the video game type offense they had last year was rare. Hearing that this years offense could be even more dynamic.

My sleeper team in 3AA East is Hillside. This years team may be the strongest HHS squad since the 2010 State Champion team. Last year Elliot the Oregon Duck commit carried Hillside at times, especially the Cardinal Gibbons classic that I was fortunate enough to attend. This year HHS is loaded with talent. They are going to be able to surround Elliot and their stud WR Harrington with dynamic skill kids at both the WR and RB positions. They have 2 reserve backs that would start for most teams in the area. Additionally their 6'2 QB is starting to get D-1 attention. Defensively HHS has a lot of experience returning, especially in the front 7. HHS had an opportunity to play Dudley last year, Hillside was up in the final minutes before Dudley's Hooker threw a 35 yard TD pass to escape. I was at the game and the one take away was the line play. HHS lines played Dudley's physical lines evenly. The physicality of Dudley lines was the reason why they ran for over 300 yards and gave up negative rushing yards against Cape Fear in the State title game.

Hillside will have an opportunity to see where they are early. At New Bern, home against Scotland County, at Pinecrest, at Dudley, and a rumored late addition in Rocky Mount...... Conference games against Orange, and Southern Durham. If the rumored Rocky Mount game is added it is safe to say HHS has the toughest schedule in 3A ?

It's scary to think that Dudley is even better than they were last year. D-1 prospects all over the field. Offensively they are going to be dynamic. Graduate a D-1 QB, have another one that's already getting attention. Have a 2020 WR that Clemson is already recruiting. Dudley has always hung their hat on having a stingy defense. But the video game type offense they had last year was rare. Hearing that this years offense could be even more dynamic.

My sleeper team in 3AA East is Hillside. This years team may be the strongest HHS squad since the 2010 State Champion team. Last year Elliot the Oregon Duck commit carried Hillside at times, especially the Cardinal Gibbons classic that I was fortunate enough to attend. This year HHS is loaded with talent. They are going to be able to surround Elliot and their stud WR Harrington with dynamic skill kids at both the WR and RB positions. They have 2 reserve backs that would start for most teams in the area. Additionally their 6'2 QB is starting to get D-1 attention. Defensively HHS has a lot of experience returning, especially in the front 7. HHS had an opportunity to play Dudley last year, Hillside was up in the final minutes before Dudley's Hooker threw a 35 yard TD pass to escape. I was at the game and the one take away was the line play. HHS lines played Dudley's physical lines evenly. The physicality of Dudley lines was the reason why they ran for over 300 yards and gave up negative rushing yards against Cape Fear in the State title game.

Hillside will have an opportunity to see where they are early. At New Bern, home against Scotland County, at Pinecrest, at Dudley, and a rumored late addition in Rocky Mount...... Conference games against Orange, and Southern Durham. If the rumored Rocky Mount game is added it is safe to say HHS has the toughest schedule in 3A ?

I believe that Dudley may be the best team in the state regardless of classification. You do not hear many of the bigger name schools calling those guys out. Also how many of the top ten 3A schools will be the favorite in a head to head matchup with Hillside? Only Dudley in my opinion.

Reactions: SLM7Q and seadog28
I believe that Dudley may be the best team in the state regardless of classification. You do not hear many of the bigger name schools calling those guys out. Also how many of the top ten 3A schools will be the favorite in a head to head matchup with Hillside? Only Dudley in my opinion.

I agree with both points.

Out of the top 10 only 3 potentially would end up in 3AA East, that's if the east-west line doesn't fall east of guilford county. Cape Fear, Western Alamance, and Eastern Guilford. I think New Hanover, Rose , and Conley, and perhaps a Eastern Alamance could potentially contend. But Hillside will be so talented and deep this year, the only way I see them not making it out of the east is if they underperform in November.

This may be the deepest that 3A has been with good teams ever. Think about some of the 3A teams not ranked in the top ten: Hillside, Southern Durham, Northern Durham, Northside, Rocky Mt, Mt. Tabor, W. Rowan, Fayetteville Byrd, Terry Sandford, Concord, A.L. Brown, Hunter Huss, Crest, KM, Robinson, Asheville, Ervin, New Hanover etc. Jeez!! I agree with Dudley at #1 but I would have to place Hillside #2 in my poll. The rest of the top ten will be fought out like an old school "Lumberjack Match". When a team tries to escape they will immediately be beat up and tossed back into the ring for more lol.

I would replace Havelock and Orange with any two of these

I agree with both points.

Out of the top 10 only 3 potentially would end up in 3AA East, that's if the east-west line doesn't fall east of guilford county. Cape Fear, Western Alamance, and Eastern Guilford. I think New Hanover, Rose , and Conley, and perhaps a Eastern Alamance could potentially contend. But Hillside will be so talented and deep this year, the only way I see them not making it out of the east is if they underperform in November.
Eastern Alamance I'm not sure will be that strong. I think Western is out infront of them so don't count them out, but don't get your hopes too high.

The 3AA and 3A playoffs should be very competitive I am just wondering where the east west dividing line will be. Could Dudley go east or west, if I remember right Greensboro is kind of the dividing line

The 3AA and 3A playoffs should be very competitive I am just wondering where the east west dividing line will be. Could Dudley go east or west, if I remember right Greensboro is kind of the dividing line
Theyll be on the line, but haven't really been east since 2008-09 time frame. So we'll see. One question is where in the cutoff line in 3A West.

To answer Dudley has been 4a since 2008 so that is why they have not played in the east and as far as Small 3a I would say Greensboro / Alamance county will be the dividing line. So I think in 3AA Greensboro will be the dividing line and in 3A Alamance will be the dividing line

Last edited:
To answer Dudley has been 4a since 2008 so that is why they have not played in the east and as far as Small 3a I would say Greensboro / Alamance county will be the dividing line. So I think in 3AA Greensboro will be the dividing line and in 3A Alamance will be the dividing line
Correct, after 08 title vs Brown they went 4A

There seems to be a lot more 3AA teams in the east than the west.... Because of that, I would't be surprised if that lined moved over into Alamance County.

I would replace Havelock and Orange with any two of these

Those two teams are the most interesting in little 3A east. Both have new head coaches. According to Jim Bob, Havelock will have a lot of talent coming in over the next couple of years. Being in the Raleigh/Durham area I cover Orange pretty closely. They made an interesting hire at OC over the summer. I think it's a safe bet to say that Orange will not being running a double wing or power I wing. Not sure how that's going to workout. Looking from the outside in over the years, Orange has been most effective playing ground and pound ball. It allowed them to place their best athletes on the other side of the ball within their 3-3-5 defensive scheme, while playing sparingly on offense. Not many weakness over the years for this team with the exception of protecting the QB and the lack of a passing game. I don't really know if they have enough numbers to run a spread.... They do have a great back returning, and everyone knows about that 4 star monster LB who does everything including return punts. He's going to be great at UNC next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him earn a starting job as a true freshman next year.

Reactions: Chopper747
Those two teams are the most interesting in little 3A east. Both have new head coaches. According to Jim Bob, Havelock will have a lot of talent coming in over the next couple of years. Being in the Raleigh/Durham area I cover Orange pretty closely. They made an interesting hire at OC over the summer. I think it's a safe bet to say that Orange will not being running a double wing or power I wing. Not sure how that's going to workout. Looking from the outside in over the years, Orange has been most effective playing ground and pound ball. It allowed them to place their best athletes on the other side of the ball within their 3-3-5 defensive scheme, while playing sparingly on offense. Not many weakness over the years for this team with the exception of protecting the QB and the lack of a passing game. I don't really know if they have enough numbers to run a spread.... They do have a great back returning, and everyone knows about that 4 star monster LB who does everything including return punts. He's going to be great at UNC next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him earn a starting job as a true freshman next year.

I would not expect to see any drop off at Havelock. Caleb King will be just fine. Talent just seems to breed there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT